Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Coolguye posted:

this is the setup kitchen/freezer setup i use and i've yet to find one that's more overall efficient:

freezer area in the middle, butcher's area down below, two kitchens up top with autodoors to reduce dirt buildup in the areas that matter.

Holy gently caress how have I never tried putting nice chairs down instead of wooden dining chairs :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, especially if it's a station where people are going to be at for a while, like art or machining or even research, put down a comfy chair for them for a cheap mood boost.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I like seeing my pawns cooking horse meat and corn meals well sitting in a lazy boy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Popete posted:

I like seeing my pawns cooking horse meat and corn meals well sitting in a lazy boy.

Dude they’re making horse meat empanadas, that’s loving rad.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I refuse to put cloth chairs on "messy" stations yes I realize this is 100% flavor and RP it doesn't mechanically matter, no I will not budge on this I've worked in a kitchen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

explosivo posted:

Holy gently caress how have I never tried putting nice chairs down instead of wooden dining chairs :psypop:

Probably because it shows a dining chair when you're placing the bench

There's a tradeoff between dining chairs having more beauty and being cheaper to make vs armchairs being more comfortable. I like to use dining chairs for butcher tables and stoves, but big crafting rooms and research benches get armchairs. And in my head putting an armchair at a butcher table just feels wrong so i don't do it

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I refuse to put cloth chairs on "messy" stations yes I realize this is 100% flavor and RP it doesn't mechanically matter, no I will not budge on this I've worked in a kitchen.

Synthread and hyperweave only

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's okay to put a human leather armchair in front of a table that only butchers humans

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
save for RP considerations (which are legit, like come on let's look at the game we're playing here) i'm not sure why you would put a dining chair in front of any workstation that wasn't in a room where beauty matters. dining chairs are for someone's personal bedroom and the dining hall, where beauty and impressiveness correlate directly to long term mood bonuses for every pawn in the colony. armchairs are for everywhere else, as every scrap of comfort matters for keeping someone happy and on task.

that said, it's far from a high consideration with all the other priorities you doubtlessly are juggling most of the game. hell, even in my pic you can see that the butcher's table has a stool because i could not be arsed the day i set up the room.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Normal brain: Put a dining chair at your stove
Big brain: Put a guinea pig fur chair at your stove
Galaxy brain: Put a royal bed at your stove.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Normal brain: Put a dining chair at your stove
Big brain: Put a guinea pig fur chair at your stove
Galaxy brain: Put a royal bed at your stove.

Where on this scale does "everyone gets a bedroom/workstation combo" fit?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

silentsnack posted:

Where on this scale does "everyone gets a bedroom/workstation combo" fit?

I'm not sure but that reminds me of the time I had to move my android chef's recharge pod into the corpse freezer because originally it was in the kitchen and one of my colonists was jealous of his "bedroom".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just had my first siege, it was a resounding success!

It turns out they don't like it when you rain mortar fire down on them while they're trying to get their encampment set up.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It's so satisfying to hit their ammo.

Also, Royal Thrumbofur Armchairs for playing chess.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
FYI, if you have the ED Shield mod or whatever it's called with the upgradable shield structure, If you are encountering severe slowdown and the logs say it's ticking fire enteties apparently the shield catches sparks so you need to turn the direct blocking off, put out the fires that were finally set free then you can turn the direct blocking back on.
TL;DR ED shield on direct blocking catches sparks and you need to turn it off for a second so it can release the sparks so you can put out the fires.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

QuarkJets posted:

There's a tradeoff between dining chairs having more beauty and being cheaper to make vs armchairs being more comfortable. I like to use dining chairs for butcher tables and stoves, but big crafting rooms and research benches get armchairs. And in my head putting an armchair at a butcher table just feels wrong so i don't do it
There should be an "office chair" that's extra ugly but comfortable

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dehumanize yourself and face to the sculptor chipping away at a fridge-sized block of rock while fully reclined in a la-z-boy

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I want to make leather comfy chairs, but cloth ones are just empirically better, so I have a house full of fuzzy recliners. It sucks but what can you do.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

the best chairs are made from the pelts of a dozen guinea pigs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's slightly odd that different materials don't make much different for buildings made of textiles. None of them confer much difference in beauty or comfort or anything.

Leather generally is kinda weird in that there's still a lot more types of it than really make a mechanical difference a lot of the time.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I haven't tried it yet but the Simple Chains: Leather mod overhauls the way leather is made and gives the various textiles specific strengths and weaknesses, though mostly when used as clothing and not so much as furniture. Looks interesting if you get bored of decking everybody out in Thrumbofur.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I love my all leather clothing colonists.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If your first half-dozen cowboy hats aren’t made of random hunting leathers wtf are you even doing on the rim

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what about in an ice biome huh

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Those raiders aren’t going to wear themselves, but SOMEBODY has to.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Mechanoid clusters are, uh, not fun during Medieval/Tribal runs holy poo poo.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Does anyone else manipulate the Worker outfit settings and what materials they craft with to make a uniform everyone has to wear? For whatever reason, it is vitally important to me that all my dudes wear devilstrand dusters. I like to think that word has gotten around to other settlements; if you see someone in a red coat, that means they're from the Isentium Alliance.

(The full uniform is camelhide cowboy hat/devilstrand duster/alpaca woll button-down shirt/cloth pants)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CapnAndy posted:

Does anyone else manipulate the Worker outfit settings and what materials they craft with to make a uniform everyone has to wear? For whatever reason, it is vitally important to me that all my dudes wear devilstrand dusters. I like to think that word has gotten around to other settlements; if you see someone in a red coat, that means they're from the Isentium Alliance.

(The full uniform is camelhide cowboy hat/devilstrand duster/alpaca woll button-down shirt/cloth pants)

I don't do enough micro managing of outfits but probably should be doing something like this. I basically just set orders for pants/button down/duster/parka and let them pick which material to make out of it. I did just switch to making all cloth stuff though since I have a fuckton of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you make everyone wear exactly the same outfit they get quite unhappy about it. So you want to vary at least some of the components. I use outfits to specify important things like armoured clothing but I would generally try to leave incidental stuff like what type of shirt they wear up to them.

Except because I use the clothing extended mod everyone wears a tank top and shorts because gotta go fast.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 24, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

If you make everyone wear exactly the same outfit they get quite unhappy about it. So you want to vary at least some of the components. I use outfits to specify important things like armoured clothing but I would generally try to leave incidental stuff like what type of shirt they wear up to them.

This is a mod thing. Psychology maybe? Vanilla you can enforce a uniform and nobody cares. Pretty sure you can also turn it off in the mod options.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OwlFancier posted:

Good to know, I didn't realize they don't like wearing the same stuff E: maybe a mod thing?. Followup question; with your armored clothing outfits, are you switching in and out of that as raids happen or do they wear the armored stuff all the time? I never really got around to making armored outfits either because it never felt like I had a ton of time to change into it before a raid starts, so some of my guys just walk around in recon armor.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Drives me nuts when a colonist will choose a good devilstrand duster over a normal thrumbofur one when the latter is much more likely to save their life. But dusters, flak vests and maybe helmets are usually the only thing I force on them. I also disallow all utility items, as I prefer to decide who gets the good shield belts and insanity lances.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

This is a mod thing. Psychology maybe? Vanilla you can enforce a uniform and nobody cares. Pretty sure you can also turn it off in the mod options.
Definitely a mod thing. My guys are fine with it.

It also doesn't sound like a very good mod thing -- people in real life like having shared clothing that identifies them immediately as part of a distinct group. Uniforms are a thing.

explosivo posted:

Followup question; with your armored clothing outfits, are you switching in and out of that as raids happen or do they wear the armored stuff all the time? I never really got around to making armored outfits either because it never felt like I had a ton of time to change into it before a raid starts, so some of my guys just walk around in recon armor.
I use Change Dresser for a lot of things -- having storage space for clothes so they're not all taking up one tile each in storage, easy outfit management -- but another one of its useful features is that you can set an outfit for combat and your dudes will automatically swap to it when they're drafted. (I wouldn't mind all of them having to make a beeline to an armor locker or something to get changed, but I can see how that'd be infinitely harder to implement.)

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Drives me nuts when a colonist will choose a good devilstrand duster over a normal thrumbofur one when the latter is much more likely to save their life. But dusters, flak vests and maybe helmets are usually the only thing I force on them. I also disallow all utility items, as I prefer to decide who gets the good shield belts and insanity lances.
And here's a thing I'd like to know if there's a mod for -- I'd dearly love the ability to set preferences on outfits. The ability to say "you can wear dusters or parkas, but if a duster is available I want you to choose that" would be extremely helpful, especially if you could prioritize materials within the specific clothing item. My current workaround of just not allowing anything but the clothing item I like and not making it in anything except my preferred material is a bit blunt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CapnAndy posted:

I use Change Dresser for a lot of things -- having storage space for clothes so they're not all taking up one tile each in storage, easy outfit management -- but another one of its useful features is that you can set an outfit for combat and your dudes will automatically swap to it when they're drafted.

This looks good, thanks!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Getting 80% of my 60 person colony decked in excellent quality recon or cataphract armor and black insect chitin shirts/pants was a long road but definitely worth it.

Course taking about 12 of them off to a new colony meant colony wealth was already super high, so I had to drop from Rough to Normal Randy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
for vanilla, the best armor outfit is devilstrand duster, button-down, flak vest, pants, and bowler or cowboy hat. do NOT use the top hat, because it is exempt from protection and provides no armor no matter what it is made of. you can substitute button-down for ruffle shirt if you want a touch of class, and you can swap the flak vest for a corset or formal vest as well. this is far, far less protective, though.

if you don't have psychology (this is definitely the mod that does it), you can have everyone in this uniform and they'll be chill with it, though titled pawns will get progressively more pissy about not wearing royal gear. it'll be up to you to decide if you want to gut those mood hits or compromise - i typically take the mood hits.

for the longer term, do note that prestige armors count to satisfy royal attire requirements and only require some extra gold to make, so the conversation actually becomes simpler if more expensive there. you'll still need to replace an entire set of loving armor every 2-3-ish years so i hope you've got an angle on the poo poo you need to make it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 24, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Hell yeah; I like the look of devilstrand. Although I don't micro the material on anything but dusters and jackets, I will disable cheap materials like lightleather (which I just bulk sell, or use up if there's a special trade request)

More important pawns that I tend to manually control get thrumbofur

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I just use Best Mix, and set everything to "Protect Sharp".

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like hyperweave blue best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Behold: the most useless pawn.

She came paralyzed for 30 days AND is an existing pawn's ex on top of that.