Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm just going to start using them from the beggining as they seem important and I'd rather learn the system early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Nah, just run your colony into the ground. You;ll learn far more that way, and besides, losing is fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm trying my first combat expanded go through and it sure is interesting.

First raid was four ducks and I was thinking about how I hosed up so hard not having a killbox. Four shots later from a 5 skill shooter...

Wait till you run into mechanoids :v:

Biggest advice I can give you: make sure you get something that can punch through about 30mm RHA equivalent, cos otherwise you can't kill mechanoids :v:

CE really does have a massive range of threats, centipedes are literally tanks, animals you can kill en masse with capable shooters.

On the plus side if you have the right gear you can detonate a centipede with a rocket launcher and the ammo goes up too which will wipe out any mechanoids near it.

If you find CE too extreme you might like Yayo's Combat and its related mods instead which is sort of like a halfway point between CE and vanilla, keeps the higher hit probabilities but has a bit less of a qualitative "you cannot damage this target" element to it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm just going to start using them from the beggining as they seem important and I'd rather learn the system early.

You also want to set the first 5 things (Firefight through Basic) to 1 for everyone. Otherwise, if you've set other priorities higher, your guys will just gently caress off planting plants while the field burns, or make piles of stone blocks while someone bleeds out on the ground.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pharnakes posted:

Nah, just run your colony into the ground. You;ll learn far more that way, and besides, losing is fun.

This is true.

The one colony that survives your first winter makes the 10 flaming wrecks and the mountain of bitter swearing worth it.

I'm 600 hours in and I finally collapsed and made my first killbox. And it worked! Until I got gangbanged from North and South immediately after a costly raid resulting in another flaming wreck.

I've got the stop the tribal starts in tundra but Randy's playful sadism keeps bringing me back.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like sniper rifles. Great for hunters where the prey has a chance of going agro with every hit; fewer shots hitting harder from farther away are better than many weak shots. Great for base assaults where you can shoot the defending turrets from outside turret range. It's not the best DPS by far, but a lot of time the guys you are shooting can't even shoot back until after they've been hit.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Can somebody recommend a normal let's play that's not modded to the gills but that is also not some extreme challenge like one tribal guy on an ice sheet? They're fun to watch sometimes but I want to see how most people actually play. I'm not against mods at all but I am not interested in anything that makes it into a completely different game like the Flesh series.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDeqk45z900

e: oh poo poo you said not an extreme challenge, my bad

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Incidentally, I have already watched that one! It's great and I've learned a lot from it but I yeah, something a bit less extreme.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Francis John is doing some basically vanilla playthroughs. Right now he's doing a gimmick run where he migrates around the map, but prior to that he did a more normal run. His non-vanilla mods are just things like adding a minimap, better pawn positioning tools, better designation tools, etc. Nothing that changes gameplay, just makes life easier for the player.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dirk the Average posted:

Francis John is doing some basically vanilla playthroughs. Right now he's doing a gimmick run where he migrates around the map, but prior to that he did a more normal run. His non-vanilla mods are just things like adding a minimap, better pawn positioning tools, better designation tools, etc. Nothing that changes gameplay, just makes life easier for the player.

Francis John? Whoooo. His ONI stuff is fab, and he talks fast enough.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

T-man posted:

i wipe all my subscribed mods each time so i basically play a new game every time i get the urge.

Same, the downside however is that every time I come back to the game I've got to spend two days putting a modlist together, finding compatches, squishing bugs, etc., before I can actually play. Like this is a loving Elder Scrolls game or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I just slam 180 mods in and only deal with the strongest conflicts. Like when my pawns all laid down after 5 seconds and went into a coma.

Or how I couldn't right click.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just tried an Extreme Desert game, and while I was waiting for my first potato crop to grow in the margins of soil around the cliff edges, the guy with the knife snapped and stabbed the other two to death before collapsing. Whoops. Decided not to bother proceeding with the man in black who showed up, it was just too depressing to contemplate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just skimmed some of the videos Francis John made where he starts as tribal and just nomads around cracking open ancient dangers, looked pretty fun. I am too much of a sucker for base building but setting up a team of tomb raiders seems appealing, maybe roleplay as the Brotherhood of Steel

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

I just slam 180 mods in and only deal with the strongest conflicts. Like when my pawns all laid down after 5 seconds and went into a coma.

Or how I couldn't right click.

.... did they ever go sidewaysface?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

HelloSailorSign posted:

.... did they ever go sidewaysface?

Not recently, but they do go purple box face occasionally.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Mods for this dumb game are wild sometimes.

EDIT: He melee attacked a boomalope which predictably exploded all over him. This made him reevaluate his life choices and he fled the map immediately after.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 4, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Are there any mods to turn off squirrels, racoons, guinea pigs, and any other small creature from downing my entire colony one after another like a juggernaut after it goes mad? In the same vein is there a mod that makes it so the 2% trigger on animals going into revenge is actually 2% and not 100%?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Doltos posted:

Are there any mods to turn off squirrels, racoons, guinea pigs, and any other small creature from downing my entire colony one after another like a juggernaut after it goes mad? In the same vein is there a mod that makes it so the 2% trigger on animals going into revenge is actually 2% and not 100%?

I think there is a size mod somewhere, which is what makes them a pain to kill.

For your last issue :xcom:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doltos posted:

It is 2% per hit, so if you are hunting with a low damage per hit weapon that takes several shots to kill you are increasing your risk of retaliation.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There's also the impact of distance and hunter animal+shooting skills.

The 0 animal skill pawn with the revolver going after the rhino is gonna have a bad time, but oddly is entirely realistic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yayo's Combat generally makes shooting smaller targets easier so one ninja assassin squirrel does not murder a colonist as easily, if you are looking to make shooting things feel a bit more sensible than vanilla.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

OwlFancier posted:

Yayo's Combat generally makes shooting smaller targets easier so one ninja assassin squirrel does not murder a colonist as easily, if you are looking to make shooting things feel a bit more sensible than vanilla.

It also makes your colonists do cool spinny flippy reload animations, which is rad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there a mod that makes colonists sit down in chairs, rather than just standing behind them.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there a mod that makes colonists sit down in chairs, rather than just standing behind them.

I have no idea what that would even look like. Its not like their bodies have legs or any sort of hinge whatsoever.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They could slump at 45 degrees I suppose. Put those bionic spines to use.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just learned that if you attack an enemy base and manage to depower their turrets, the turret will still retain its faction allegiance if you claim it and take it with you. I was in for a rude surprise when my royal transport unloaded the captured turret and it automatically connected to my power grid.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

I just learned that if you attack an enemy base and manage to depower their turrets, the turret will still retain its faction allegiance if you claim it and take it with you. I was in for a rude surprise when my royal transport unloaded the captured turret and it automatically connected to my power grid.

Uhh that seems odd. It should switch allegiances.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah my experience is the exact opposite, I always try to steal turrets for myself.

Are you certain that you claimed it? Or maybe it's a mod issue

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You can't dismantle it if you don't claim it, so must be a weird mod thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

You can't dismantle it if you don't claim it, so must be a weird mod thing.

Yeah it sounds like the turret got loaded into the transport without uninstalling it somehow, since a torn down turret isn't capable of connecting to power or shooting at anything

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I don't know think it's one of my mods. What I did was I took a mission to destroy an enemy base, killed all the enemies, destroyed their power generating sources and batteries which depowered their turrets, which then gave me the quest complete prompt. Then I called in a royal shuttle with one of my noble's permit powers, and selected all the camp loot including the turret from the auto-load list button on the shuttle.

Could be a weird interaction with the royal shuttle, also thinking back I'm not sure if I chose to claim it first either.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's definitely a weird mod thing then, I'm sure you're not supposed to be able to load stuff you haven't claimed, otherwise you could just call in the shuttle at the start of the encounter and load all the enemy's defences into it and gently caress off :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can load anything you want into the shuttle (or at least I could) but only once the map is clear?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I loaded a save post-camp clearing and you're right, all items such as furnitures, urns scattered about the map, etc. are available on the list to load onto the shuttle without having to go through and claim them first.

I don't have a save prior to finishing off the camp, I'll test it out next time I get a faction mission for a paid base attack that provides a shuttle or when my shuttle cool down is over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shuttles generally are just kinda weird in that I don't think you actually have to physically load anything into them either, you just say stuff you want to take and it all teleports with you when you launch. Sort of like the reform caravan button, basically.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I recently started playing rimworld and after a couple of games to get the hang of the mechanics and 2 failed attempts to get my colonists off the planet, I just finished powering up my first spaceship with cassandra on adventure mode and will finish getting them off planet soon. The amount of mods available looks nuts, and I'm trying to figure out if I should get the Royalty dlc first or do a game with some of the QOL and Vanilla Extended mods. Any recommendations on what mods are cool and fun right after getting a vanilla win?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are like 6 mods that add more content than the dlc. the new mechanoids mod is prolly gonna get close to that too. fuckin insane

i recommend flipping through most popular mods on steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah as always it's really down to what you like in your game. As above I would try some of the most subscribed ones for 1.2 and just see what you like. I like the vanilla expanded things and dubs bad hygiene as always-adds. From there you've got rimatomics, rimefeller (both interact with hygiene if you check the mod options) and there's stuff like rimworld of magic (quite OP but fun) and things like Empire if you want a larger strategy layer, SRTS for air vehicles you can use to fly around, SOS2 for if you want space colonization, and I like combat overhauls like some of the big turret mods, Weapon Tech (tagged for 1.1 but seems to work fine still) adds a bunch of nice themed guns, Yayo's Combat, Gunplay, Dual Wield, Run and Gun all make the combat more interesting I think while staying closer to vanilla than something like Combat Extended which is very grognardy. You can add different factions if you want, there are a bunch of bionic system expansions though I particularly like Evolved Organs and Cybernetic Organism for adding interesting options outside of just flat out better limbs in all ways, Evolved Organs interacts with Questionable Ethics to let you actually grow stuff in vats. If you want to go crazy with mutations you can add Pawnmorpher, there's Alpha Animals and Alpha Biomes that add some fun new environments and beasties to encounter. Android Tiers lets you make robots and doing insane things with your colonist's minds like copying them into robots or storing them all in a server and having them remote control robotic avatars. Infusion makes equipment have random modifiers. Deep Storage lets you build special storage objects to cram more stuff into fewer tiles. Basically it's really just down to what areas you want to expand.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 7, 2020