Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I think the art is a bit of a miss here. I kinda like the no hands basic pawns style. There's enough there to keep me invested in my little weebles and be charming.

No, Tynan's :effort: moment was no man's bi.

I want to specifically point out that this wasn't an :effort: moment, because as I recall he specifically went and looked up statistics from some dating site and then replicated that in the game. It was far more effort than just making it random would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I want to specifically point out that this wasn't an :effort: moment, because as I recall he specifically went and looked up statistics from some dating site and then replicated that in the game. It was far more effort than just making it random would have been.

His sample size was one. That's the research equivalent of clicking the first hit on a google search and calling it a day.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
exactly. no hands

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah it's stupid and if I had my way I would make the space future big brother house everyone is always bi, but I think it's funny that he specifically set out to do some weird simulation thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When did storytellers get tweaked?

When you go into the story teller selection screen, there are a whole load of new SLIDERS!!! that let you change % impacts of a huge variety of things; % chance on downed (colonist and raider separate), food poison % chance, infection chance, wealth impact on raid strength, etc.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

HelloSailorSign posted:

When you go into the story teller selection screen, there are a whole load of new SLIDERS!!! that let you change % impacts of a huge variety of things; % chance on downed (colonist and raider separate), food poison % chance, infection chance, wealth impact on raid strength, etc.

Too bad it doesn't show what sliders represent each difficulty. I'd like to be able to pick one and then use sliders to tweak it.

I remember tweaking the colonist-death-on-down slider. It was set to 100% which seemed like far too lethal and I set it to 0% and all pawns became immortal. They went down and then couldn't die. Because 100% is "normal"

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is wealth scaling based entirely on the total? I notice the graphs include items, buildings, and creatures. Does it actually factor in how many colonists you have, or how much defensive capability you have? And if it scales only on the total, doesn't that mean you can screw yourself by getting rich too early? I like to grow a poo poo ton of drugs for trading, but sometimes I wonder if that's making raids a lot harder than my meager population and armaments can handle

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yes and yes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Katt posted:

Too bad it doesn't show what sliders represent each difficulty. I'd like to be able to pick one and then use sliders to tweak it.

I remember tweaking the colonist-death-on-down slider. It was set to 100% which seemed like far too lethal and I set it to 0% and all pawns became immortal. They went down and then couldn't die. Because 100% is "normal"

What that slider does is somewhat unintuitive, but 100% is actually normal. If a pawn would be killed by incoming damage, such as by getting shot in the brain or getting their heart stabbed or whatever, then one last roll is made to see if the pawn gets miraculously saved, even going so far as to reduce the incoming damage to prevent an essential internal organ from being destroyed. If the slider is set to 100%, then this roll can never succeed. So this is the chance for a normally-fatal wound to actually be fatal. It exists to allow you to reduce exposure to very unlucky rolls.

This roll only comes into play for incoming damage, it can't prevent a pawn from bleeding out. It also doesn't totally deflect damage; a shot to the brain will still leave someone brain damaged even if the final death roll saves them from dying

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 28, 2021

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I have stacked a T1 android up to Fractal Enhancement XX and despite the fact that over the years he's ended up with four makeshift limbs (We started as Tribal and we've only just now begun to reach the tech needed to rebuilt him) he's loving incredible, just zips around like The Flash getting anything and everything done in no time, there are things he can craft so rapidly he just has to touch the bench and the thing is completed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I mean yeah it's stupid and if I had my way I would make the space future big brother house everyone is always bi, but I think it's funny that he specifically set out to do some weird simulation thing.

The precise amount of :effort: Tiynan put into No Man's Bi was optimal to be funny. I don't think he has a deep seated ~problem~ with sexuality. Came off as ol dude being isolated programmer dumb and doesn't draw hands.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just went through the modlist and set up some Kenshi flavored stuff. Set up first game and I can't give orders to my pawn. My gut instinct is Work Tab conflicting with one of the hauling mods. I swear, mod setup is the real game.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

KirbyKhan posted:

Just went through the modlist and set up some Kenshi flavored stuff. Set up first game and I can't give orders to my pawn. My gut instinct is Work Tab conflicting with one of the hauling mods. I swear, mod setup is the real game.

You sure zoning isn't behind this? I remember getting really frustrated about not being able to clean something and only realizing my home zone didn't extend to that spot after an embarrassingly long time.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

Katt posted:

Under the custom settings hit the set to standard playstyle button and select the difficulty, it will adjust the sliders to the default settings for that difficulty and you can adjust it from there.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sunday Morning posted:

You sure zoning isn't behind this? I remember getting really frustrated about not being able to clean something and only realizing my home zone didn't extend to that spot after an embarrassingly long time.

No, I mean like after I do my modding list, pick a spot, and crashlands I go through my motions of examining the map. Then I click on my dude with shooting then click on equip bolt action. No responce (I unpaused). Just gotta shuffle some things around. I swear it takes me 3 sessions of tweaking and troubleshooting before I start any colony.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Why the hell am I still getting red Null Reference errors for Android Tier objects when loading after I removed it from my active mod list AND uninstalled it AND deleted all saves using it?

What has this mod done to the game code?????

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
game saves have mod poo poo in them if mods make new content

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have found that mods in general seem to sort of.. stick around somehow in the game.

Also is it definitely android tiers or is it some other mod maybe referencing android tiers content?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I have found that mods in general seem to sort of.. stick around somehow in the game.

Also is it definitely android tiers or is it some other mod maybe referencing android tiers content?

Yeah I have occasionally had to do a clean reinstall because things seem to just stick around, as you say. Probably something gets buried deep in appdata or something.

Thanks for that Slow Mods resource a page or two ago, whoever posted it - I pruned a few things it was safe to remove midgame and things are running WAY smoother. I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to ditch AROM but I'll yoink out Android Tiers and Rim War and stuff next time I start a game too.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Randy just turboslammed me with mech cluster psychic suppressor with 5 centipedes, then another cluster (-10°C weather controller) in a inconveniently recently area revealed (courtesy of the last sapper raid), then a physic drone, and then an offsite EMI guarded by mechs. All in the space of about 5 days maybe?

This resulted in death.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I don't have an explanation for it, but I've experienced similar and it's definitely A Thing. When I was setting up RimPy (which i wholly recommend as a mod manager/launcher btw) I migrated my mods folder from the steam workshop folder to the one in the rimworld directory. I found a bunch of old mods I'd unsubscribed from years ago in there that RimPy detected as active, out of date mods. Even ones that I'd downloaded new versions of. So the workshop definitely does a bad job of cleaning up after itself but I don't know if that's the problem.:shrug:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

EMi field for pay is such a crap offer. Disabling all my fridges for a week? what?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I got it on this play session but it was before I had my coolers up, so I basically just delayed my fridge for 4.5 days in exchange for another set of hands.

I can’t see it being worth it in any situation other than “I currently do not have a fridge” though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Katt posted:

EMi field for pay is such a crap offer. Disabling all my fridges for a week? what?
Hey it's free rewards if you're early on in a tribal game! :downs:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are a lot of situations where one week of EMI is fine. If you're on a cold biome and it's winter, you can just use campfires to heat your base and build a vented shed outside for bulk-storing meat. And most crops last a long time without refrigeration, so if you can turn the remainder of your meat into pemmican or survival meals then one week without refrigeration is nbd

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

No, I mean like after I do my modding list, pick a spot, and crashlands I go through my motions of examining the map. Then I click on my dude with shooting then click on equip bolt action. No responce (I unpaused). Just gotta shuffle some things around. I swear it takes me 3 sessions of tweaking and troubleshooting before I start any colony.

HAHAHHAHA My mod conflict was between Simple Sidearms and Ore Yields. THIS GAME IS BLACK MAGIC

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Katt posted:

the good news is that basically since the game hit 1.0 the time scaling on difficulty is so minor that the urgency to move on any kind of objective is close to nonexistent. Which basically means that any time you see a quest that looks like a lovely offer, it probably is and you can file it in the trash with zero qualms or second guesses.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I've been making a mod. It's not ready to be released, I just want feedback on the idea

I like Ancient Dangers. I like them enough to generate new temporary settlements just to crack open the ancient danger and see what's inside. So I thought "What if the world map was prepopulated with sites that you can travel to, with the promise of a much larger than normal ancient danger on that map?"

Take a mountainous tile, stick an entryway onto the mountain side, generate a series of connected rooms, and fill them with content. Give each room some chance of containing various kinds of loot, garbage, and danger. Block off some hallways with collapsed rocks. Include a chance for generating significant danger; larger rooms that contain a larger hive or a dormant mech cluster that awakens when you breach the room, something that makes the player say "poo poo" but that could provide more significant rewards if the player feels confident about clearing it. Using a mountainous tile gives a sense of depth that you don't get with other kinds of tiles; rooms deeper in the mountain are harder to reach but may contain greater danger and greater reward.

I decided on a static number of sites just as a starting point. I think it may be possible to tool this into a type of site that's discoverable with the ground-penetrating scanner.

Does something like this exist already? Does this sound cool?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
That sounds rad as hell. I'd go spelunking for ancient dangers and loot.

The closest thing I can think of is something like realistic ruins (I think that's the name), which takes player made bases, ages the poo poo out of them and then gives you a chance to go loot them on the world map.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I captured one of the T5 androids and got them to join, and dear good does it get things done. It moves around at blistering speed and does work far faster than anyone else I have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

I captured one of the T5 androids and got them to join, and dear good does it get things done. It moves around at blistering speed and does work far faster than anyone else I have.

It is also very good at other things, at random :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I assume you mean it going beserk and murdering everyone, but so far its not hard to keep it content while it zips around doing everything.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
^^ Then what could possibly go wrong?

QuarkJets posted:

So I've been making a mod. It's not ready to be released, I just want feedback on the idea

I like Ancient Dangers. I like them enough to generate new temporary settlements just to crack open the ancient danger and see what's inside. So I thought "What if the world map was prepopulated with sites that you can travel to, with the promise of a much larger than normal ancient danger on that map?"

Take a mountainous tile, stick an entryway onto the mountain side, generate a series of connected rooms, and fill them with content. Give each room some chance of containing various kinds of loot, garbage, and danger. Block off some hallways with collapsed rocks. Include a chance for generating significant danger; larger rooms that contain a larger hive or a dormant mech cluster that awakens when you breach the room, something that makes the player say "poo poo" but that could provide more significant rewards if the player feels confident about clearing it. Using a mountainous tile gives a sense of depth that you don't get with other kinds of tiles; rooms deeper in the mountain are harder to reach but may contain greater danger and greater reward.

I decided on a static number of sites just as a starting point. I think it may be possible to tool this into a type of site that's discoverable with the ground-penetrating scanner.

Sounds cool.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Understand that if you don't do this, at least one stranger on the internet will be upset that you did not bring this to fruition.

To parrot others, this sounds rad as gently caress, and it sounds like you have a good grasp on how to get it done. That being said, if it helps, you could take a look at how some other quest additive mods do theirs.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1814100216 Go Explore! is the big one I know of, but there could be more.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That is a really good idea. I recommend being careful with the loot that can be pulled from a super ruin. Ancient dangers are already pretty lucrative for 1-4 super rare end game items, just doubling or tripling that could be ridiculous. And I see screenshots of Realistic Ruins where stupid stuff like 200+ medical kits spawn in a room.

But this is a really good mod idea, I'm already a very travel light player. A mega dungeon is a fun incentive.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I was sad to see that ancient dangers which give off a strong lovecraftian vibe. Ended up just being populated by robot insects. In beta Rimworld I was sure they were just placeholders but alas not.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

How varied could you make something like that?

Not only would pristine mountain mega ancient dangers be awesome, but partially cracked ones with newly dead pawns littering hallways or pawns (of a friendly or hostile faction) locked in a room that you can break out to free them (for faction rep) or murder (if you’re enemies).

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Great idea for a mod QuarkJets.

On T5 androids, even without their intolerant trait they will still kill your colonists in social fights.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Had a psychic ship problem that resolved itself:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

cugel posted:

Great idea for a mod QuarkJets.

On T5 androids, even without their intolerant trait they will still kill your colonists in social fights.

I'll see how it goes. I can always fire it into some raider camp somewhere and and then just leave it there till it goes insane if it pisses me off enough.