Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wish getting new colonists was just a little easier. The sheer lethality level of the combat is fine but it really blows to have one fight go slightly bad on the RNG and have two of your dudes die instantly to headshots or something unpreventable and then find your colony desperately undermanned until Cassandra decides to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Did the Alpha 13 update basically remove orbital traders? I've got a comm console and orbital beacons but I've had a colony running for like a year and haven't had a single orbital trader. It's harshing my buzz really hard because my local neighbors aren't interested in buying my colony's production output so I'm running out of money.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember but I think last time I checked a pilum does like 40 damage if it hits. Basically enough to one shot someone.

That and hit location matters a lot. If a tribal with a great bow or a pilum manages to lucksack a shot into your guy's head or a vital organ it's nearly guaranteed to kill them instantly unless you've got body armor. Similarly, it's pretty easy for even gun guys to end up putting a bunch of bullets into non-lethal body parts while peppering them so that the heavily wounded guy keeps shooting until he either bleeds out or finally gets hit in a vital spot.

Basically, getting some sort of body armor and helmets out ASAP is really important because it turns death hits into maim hits.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 25, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok so I just straight up capture them and not rescue them? And by the way that game was hosed. I was down to my last colonist desperately trying to recruit HER OWN GOD drat HUSBAND THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN AUTOMATIC YES DEAR GOD WHY. And then the loving manhunting boomrats came.

Cassandra's at it again! :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackray Jack posted:

So I have a prisoner I'm trying to recruit, a tribal raider. A trade caravan came by for trade soon after however I noticed that I did not have the option to sell my prisoner. What gives?

Generally only pirates and slavers will buy people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Danaru posted:

I really liked Glittertech's whole "super expensive but super powerful" schtick until the creator decided his invulnerable commando squad needed to be as numerous as tribals and nearly impossible to even damage, so if you're unlucky and they're hostile to you, you're doomed the first time they attack.

I got hit by a Glittertech raid like a year into a colony which consisted of like 30 dudes like a tribal raid except every single one of them had EDB-1 rifles or whatever which are basically laser cannons. They walked through a 10 turret killbox and killed all of my shooters who were behind embrasures in darkness from max range. I think I got one of them before my entire colony died.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Drunk in Space posted:

Tynan should really think about changing his approach to the no hauling trait. Make it so that people opposed to hauling have a mood debuff, or only carry 50%, or move slowly or something, but the idea that in a survival situation someone will simply refuse to go and pick up medicine or whatever is pretty loving stupid, and even from a gameplay and storytelling perspective doesn't really enhance anything.

Speaking of medicine, doctors should be able to treat themselves as well, at least to some degree.

No Hauling is the shittiest thing ever and I generally get rid of colonists who have it unless my colony is super established or the person is insanely good at something that I'm lacking.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm super bummed because I was extremely excited for A14 but they sent me a steam key that had already been redeemed. I'm waiting for a response from their help guy but I don't want to bother starting up the non-steam version. :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Is there a way to make it so animals don't always follow their master when drafted? I love my swarm of wolves and bears on my murderous beastmistress against tribals and infestations, but sometimes I want to draft her to fight against gun-using raiders without the animals wandering into the crossfire and getting horribly mangled.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

damnfan posted:

Any way to consistently down people rather than kill them?

Blunt damage from fists and clubs is fairly likely to incapacitate someone without murdering them. Sometimes you'll get the lucky swing that caves in a skull or blows up an eyeball or something but the majority of the time bruising damage both causes a lot of pain(contributes to going into incap state) and doesn't get infected/leave permanent wounds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I wish there was a version of combat realism without ammo management. I'd like to play around with the combat balance changes but I really can't be hosed to deal with managing 50000 different types of ammo and making sure my colonists aren't too stupid to remember to pick up bullets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Randy Random might be a friendlier fellow, but sometimes he'll feel the need to gently caress you horribly just like his sisters.

I had a decent tundra colony going. Still poor and underdeveloped, but out of the subsistence phase, with 6 colonists, a decent crafting setup, and a big enough hydroponics setup and power grid to keep everyone reasonably fed through the winters. One day a pirate raid shows up. I have a well-equipped defense squad with crafted assault rifles and some rudimentary pillar/sandbag setups to engage attackers from, so I go to see off the raid. Combat begins...and then Randy decides to have almost my entire power grid, deliberately spread around to prevent such a catastrophe, go up in an explosion. The only thing that didn't get hit was my geothermal, which was on a separate grid powering my sun lamps for the hydroponics. Henry, my pacifist crafter, begins trying to fight the Class A Apocalypse Inferno raging through the heart of my base while everyone frantically tries to clean up the pirates, taking scrapes in the process. The pirates book it and run and everyone goes on frantic firefighting duty.

We start to get things under control....and then an infestation pops up in the middle of a new tunnel that was being dug to become private bedrooms(most people were still staying in the communal barracks). Cue me pulling my defense squad off firefighting duty to fight an awful running battle against the infestation that kills or mangles the majority of my animals, leaves one of my colonists missing both their legs, injures several more, and kills Ignat, my researcher. The defense squad, still bleeding and injured from fighting two horrible battles in a row, helps finish fighting the fire. Henry does his best to patch everyone up to ensure no bleedouts.The next day, I mortgage all of my remaining steel and components to begin rebuilding my power grid.

For a day or so I begin the arduous process of rebuilding...and then Randy decides to throw I poo poo you not like 30 manhunting boomrats at me - a threat that would have been easily seen off by the turret nests I was planning to build before I had to rebuild my entire power grid. My brutally mangled defense squad, still bandaged, fights a desperate but useless battle to hold off the little suicide bombing fuckers, but are quickly overwhelmed. Henry and my remaining huskies manage to drag the wounded inside behind my granite autodoors and the remaining boomrats seem content to wander around outside instead of chewing their way in. The remaining boomrats outside slowly die off from the injuries inflicted by my defense squad and the injuries they suffered from blowing up next to each other, but things are looking horribly grim. Everyone is horribly injured except for Henry, and infections begin to spread like wildfire from all the boomrat bites and scratches. Henry patches people up as best he can, assisted by his badly injured and infected wife Toni, but at this point nerves are beginning to fray from the fact that the base is a rubble-covered blood and vomit shitstorm and everyone is horribly injured and sick. The bedridden survivors repeatedly go berserk and attack each other, putting each other into a death spiral where they get injured again and get more pissed off and go berserk again. Henry can't do anything to stop this, because he's a pacifist.

About two days later, I get a sapper raid warning. There is literally no one left on their feet to defend; Henry is the only colonist who isn't bedridden, and he's a pacifist. I assign all the remaining horribly injured dogs and wolves to Henry for a last stand. While the sappers are preparing to raid, I get a warning about a pirate raid simultaneously, coming in from the opposite end of the map. Henry prepares to face the end when I got a message about outlanders from the nearest friendly town arriving to help. This ultimately leads to poor pacifist Henry hugging his dog and watching a titanic gun battle take place outside while his friends die from infection behind him. The outlanders lose the battle and are chased off, though they managed to inflict enough casualties on the sappers that they left after blowing holes in all of my outer walls. The pirates begin breaking through the front door and I have Henry and his dog Yukiko flee to his bedroom, the first private bedroom of the colony, which he shared with his wife, and lock the door. The pirates content themselves with smashing stuff up all through the base and kidnapping the wounded colonists who haven't died of their infections yet....and then they leave.

Henry is saved...but at a horrible price. His wife Toni, lying in bed behind him, died from her infection during the raids because Henry couldn't get to the medicine to treat her while pirates rampaged through the base. After watching literally all of his friends and loved ones die horribly one after another, the pacifist Henry finally goes berserk and attacks the only thing in sight, his loyal husky Yukiko. Unfortunately for Henry, being a pacifist, he really loving sucks at fighting. Yukiko takes a few hits from him before fighting back, at which point she kicks the poo poo out of him and leaves him thrashing and bleeding on the ground. All the food having burned to ash in the raid, Yukiko, his loyal pet, curls up next to him and collapses from starvation and her own injuries and dies. Henry thrashes his life out, utterly alone, in a dark room with the corpses of his pet dog and his wife, until he finally bleeds out.

Thanks, Randy.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 16, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

Sounds like a 'ZZzzt' explosion. Here's the thing about those: they can happen ANYWHERE in a grid connected to batteries, with the potency of the explosion determined by the total charge. This is why people tend to hate batteries since simply having them (and them having any amount of charge) opens up that event. Always put your batteries behind a power switch. That significantly reduces the area that 'Zzzt' explosions can hit.

Or once you have geothermal power, scrap 'em and build your grid around it's constant power flow.

Geothermal can't handle the power costs of running a significant indoor farming setup while also powering general base stuff like coolers, heaters, crafting benches, and lamps on its own; sun lamps draw down 1000 power on their own and a geothermal puts out 4k. Unless you got super blessed with geysers packed densely you'll need other power sources, of which the unfortunately unreliable solar and wind are way more material efficient than fueled generators, which unfortunately necessitates batteries.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Animals are mechanically not really worth it at all because of the aforementioned food/mood issues they can cause and exacerbate, but they're fun/cool so I usually end up with a pile of animals anyway. It's absolutely mandatory to install one of the mods that adds pet surgery though, since otherwise training animals long term is almost completely worthless because whoops I spent a year training that husky how to haul and rescue and now he's missing two legs because he got shot.

Plus you end up with Blade Wolf, the timber wolf with three bionic legs and a bionic eye.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Holy hell, in the industrial mod a nuclear reactor takes like 300 uranium, 1000 refined steel and 1000 concrete! I better save up for that laser drill to build a mining pit.

If I remember correctly from when I used that mod back in like A10, it generates like 16000 power and you can place it anywhere you want, so it's worth it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azhais posted:

Until it gets blown up

Yeah it's definitely one of those "double wall this poo poo off with titanium because if raiders ever get to it you're gonna have some problems" things.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I tried starting three colonies since A16. First one had Randy throw a psychic drone, a heat wave, and a solar flare at me almost immediately after I built my first cooler unit, causing a break spiral that killed the colony. Second one had Randy throw a manhunter pack of wargs followed by a most gun armed raid at me before I even got power up. Third one had 4 out of 5 colonists contract muscle parasites roughly 10 days in, then all 5 contracted the flu, and then 2 contracted malaria. Everyone died in their beds.

C'mon, son. :qq:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I started playing again after a long break and man, Randy does not want to give me more colonists. I've had an active colony for a year and I'm still on the starting three.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

A fucker that tough deserves to be rescued and A Dog Said-ed into a crazy cybercatte.

Someone discovered that A Dog Said lets you attach Scyther Blades to predatory cat tails.

Just saying.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

creatine posted:

On my first (longer than 2 day) settlement, I have basically dug into a mountain and just expanded as necessary. But, I find that my layout is very convoluted and leads to a lot of time running to a stockpile and then to a crafting bench. How do y'all approach this? Do you build a small basic settlement to get up and running and then plan out something bigger?

The way to avoid this is either to make sure that your storehouse and your workshop are directly adjacent(the lazy way and less efficient) or to set up multiple small, custom stockpiles in your workshop that have the necessary materials for your current projects near their appropriate benches(dramatically more efficient but significantly more micro intensive).

As for general base design, I tend to follow a ramshackle approach where I only build/plan for my current and immediate future needs and sort of let the whole thing spread out organically as time goes on. The only rules I follow 100% of the time are that the workshop will be very close to the general stockpile and the freezer will be connected(but separate) to the kitchen(i also always have a small sub-freezer for completed meals so that all of my stupid pawns don't track mud in my meat locker).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Efexeye posted:

i think infestations are triggered mainly by having large areas of unused/unlit underground tunnels/rooms, but I may be wrong about that

Infestations can pop up anywhere revealed on the map where the roof is "Overhead Mountain". I've had them pop up in little 3x3 mine outcroppings in the side of a hill where I mined out a steel vein.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Efexeye posted:

gotcha, for me they only seem to pop up when i leave a big section of underground base unlit, unheated and unpowered. confirmation bias im sure

Since they can pop up anywhere there's overhead mountain, having big areas of overhead mountain(such as extensive mine tunnels) will generally cause them to appear there. I've had them appear in my loving bedrooms or kitchens enough times in mountain bases that I rarely do mountain bases anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I just disable the infestation event from the scenario editor now. The whole mechanic is just ridiculous and dumb, and mountain bases have enough challenges as it is (though they do make defense easier).

Out of curiosity, what challenges? Without infestations the only extra challenge from mountain bases is the time they take to dig out. You get nearly impregnable defenses(because every single enemy has to come from the same direction so you can killbox them into oblivion), immunity to most ways to bypass your defenses(siege and sappers don't really do poo poo to a mountain base and drop pods can't fall onto overhead mountain), and basically free temperature regulation. Pretty much the only real difficulty that gets added is having less space to farm/grow wood, but the former is solved pretty easily by hydroponics farms and the latter is mostly a difficulty until you get stonecutting running since you have Infinite Stone Blocks to build except doors out of. Oh, also, massive beauty bonus from smooth stone floors for free.

Infestations in their current incarnation are pretty much an RNG gently caress you, though, and in a way I don't like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Smokeleaf and beer are fantastic and good to keep around as an emergency mood booster, but absolutely not as a scheduled thing you let your pawns go crazy with on their own. The fact that they're enormously profitable while also serving a useful side role makes them great.

As for the hard drugs, I've only really experimented with go-juice(and luciferium, of course), but go-juice owns for an emergency "there's an infestation in my freezer and i need my melee dude to simultaneously exist in multiple timelines at once" type situations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The problem is smoking weed all the time gives you really bad work penalties and eventually gives you carcinomas, which is why I don't really like scheduled weed intake.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't really see how a fridge mod - which requires you to build fridges that have limited storage space and cost components to build and power to run - requires more or less planning than the normal method of storing meals that most people use which is a tiny little room bolted to the side of your freezer with a vent between the two.

Like there is literally zero planning required to set up an efficient kitchen/food storage setup, once you figure it out once you can copy paste it to every map you ever do with similar results.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Wweeeeeellllll, requiring food to be stored in a roofed, air conditioned room is a bit more nuanced/errorprone than the freezer but not really more fun or Fun. Basically it lets you detach your dining room from your freezer, which I think is a very reasonable trade off, but, at this point in the games life, simplifying any part of the resource management could be considered op from a certain (wrong) perspective.

I literally just wall off a small corner of the freezer, build a vent from the freezer to it, and put my meals in there with a door to the outer kitchen so my pawns never enter the actual freezer itself. It's basically the exact same thing as a fridge except it requires less resources because I'm not spending components on it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Coolguye posted:

cleaning requires a fair bit of extra work from your pawns and that is not a bad thing. a large part of its effect is to slow down the development of your overall colony which otherwise could get a huge amount more done per year; even unskilled pawns could spend time refining an art or crafting passion instead of cleaning, which would then turn into either weapons and armor or a psychological advantage from widespread beauty. it serves much the same purpose as hauling does for slowing you down to a reasonable level and is actually a pretty big balancing element due to how strongly people react to dirt, blood, and vomit.

Yeah, I'm okay with cleaning existing as a labor tax for these reasons; it's another plate to spin in the whole colony management aspect of the game. It's busywork and largely automated, but almost everything in Rimworld is largely automated except combat and initial base setup once you get down to brass tacks. It's also nice that it gives a concrete use to otherwise bad/garbage pawns once you're established.

creatine posted:

Wait can you put chairs at work benches to let pawns sit? Do they work better/happier for it?

They get the comfort mood bonus(up to +10 for luxuriantly comfortable), which will improve work speed if it pushes them up a mood category(from stressed to neutral to content to happy).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Is there any material benefit to actually building cloth beds for animals?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah it's really a problem, although I'm trying to go with wooden deadfalls (18 dmg).

I've tried to use wooden deadfall gauntlets and raiders basically ignore them because 18 damage isn't usually enough to cause anything debilitating unless the same guy runs into multiples.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It would be nice if the counter to blight was crop diversification, to encourage something other than "spam rice for quick food, spam corn for efficient food, spam potatoes in lovely soil".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

I started a new 3 person colony. My first two additions are depressive (Geradon and Stoier), and one is even neurotic (Geradon). They were both decent miners, which I needed to get my mountain base started, but I'm getting close to set up and managing their mood is becoming... tedious.

Geradon has regular mental breaks (even having regular beer and ambrosia with a decent room) - and isn't otherwise spectacular, so I'm thinking of getting rid of him... since I don't use the cult mod and nobody is a psychopath, the easy idea of, "kill and eat" is out, so...

What are your preferred methods of removing a now unwanted colonist with minimal impacts to the rest of the colony?

Build a little shack on the edge of the map, arrest and imprison the unwanted colonist there, and then "accidentally" wedge the door open when you walk out. The arrested colonist will escape off the map, as your prison warden says "No, please, don't escape" in a monotone voice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Once you take luciferium for the first time you're permanently addicted with no cure; the only solutions are to continually take luciferium every few days or get rid of the colonist permanently.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Danaru posted:

How long can a colonist go without Lucy? I've read like, seven days, so a small supply will go a long ways if it's just one person. If you have a pod you can dunk them into during a shortage, the drawbacks don't really seem that bad for the crazy health boosts.

With that said I've never really sacked up and tried it myself. Permanent stuff makes me nervous :saddowns:

You need to take a dose once every 6 1/2 days before withdrawal symptoms set in; once withdrawal sets in the colonist will pretty much chain-berserk over and over until you either get them more luci or they die(takes about a week and a half from when withdrawal sets in). If you're out of drugs, put them in a pod before withdrawal begins, because fighting off a berserked luci addict is surprisingly dangerous due to their pain tolerance and stat boosts.

Luciferium is super useful in well developed colonies where you can sustain a regular supply because it turns the person taking it into a badass and it's generally pretty easy to keep one or two luci addicts in nanomachines indefinitely, especially since it can make an old or badly crippled colonist useful again. I wouldn't use it early on but it's pretty safe once you've hit the ground running.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

I feel the same when a colonist gets permanent brain damage and someone suggests a surgery mod that lets you install new brains :v:

EPOE in a vacuum is actually pretty well balanced; it lets you bionic a lot of otherwise unfixable problems away, but the costs are borderline debilitating. For the cost of turning a dude into a bionic super soldier you could kit out half a dozen guys in full power armor and charge rifles and probably have change left over.

Dejawesp posted:

Maybe. I mostly use it to murder prisoners.

Chop off a leg and feed them Luci and they die in bed with minimum guilt.

Though I'm still worried that one day. One of them will hop out of bed and wreck the place like a drugged out pogo stick of death.

:stare: Man, luci is super valuable! If you're gonna murder your prisoners with chemicals, use booze and cheap drugs(which will debilitate them horribly in the bargain); if you don't want to use luci just sell it for ridiculous bank.

Luci can heal any injury short of death including otherwise unhealable problems like brain damage/bad back/frail/etc, but it can take a while since it happens randomly over time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bhodi posted:

It does not affect age-related problems at present, but the dev is considering it

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/789208972460957696

Huh, I could have sworn I've had luci cure a bad back once. I might be insane.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

OD someone on beer and pot? I am intrigued. Does this work?

People will drink themselves into liver cirrhosis or smoke themselves into carcinoma without a second thought in this game. All they need is access.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, quantity is more important than quality when it comes to fighting, in my experience. Past the very early game you're always fighting while dramatically outnumbered so volume of fire is generally more important than accuracy. Joe Sniper Elite who nails every single shot still can't kill more than two or three tribals before they close to melee and beat him to death if he's on his own.

Even super elite power armor troops with charge weapons will get swamped and overwhelmed if they're badly outnumbered, since even power armor won't save you from a lucky couple shots to the head from some pirate's awful heavy SMG.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Why do you even bother with armor then? Just get more conscripts, give them cheap rifles and no armor, and send them into battle.

If W40K has taught as anything, it's that giving normal idiots any kind of useful equipment is a waste.

My forces are usually a mix of of poor sods with awful guns backed up by a few super bionic soldiers in powerarmor, chewing through friends and enemies alike with miniguns and explosives.

Unless you have an extremely old and established colony, even lovely low skill colonists are worth investing a little bit of material to keep alive with armor. The only time colonists are worthless is if they have traits that either actively harm your colony(pyromania) or refuse to do actual useful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Heavy SMGs are quite nice as a niche option if you end up fighting in closer quarters. They're rubbish outside of very short ranges but close in a single volley can rip a dude to shreds.