Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Having been playing this for the last week (just started with 11b), I'd have to say my biggest desire for AI improvements would be intelligent building queues. They continually seal off areas before they finish building stuff deeper in (like plugging sapper holes with new walls).

Also, this:

quote:

Enemies (especially wargs) now ignore unpowered unmanned turrets and mortars.

Should probably be reverted. I have huge death fields of turrets on power switches and the enemy just blithely wanders into the middle of them whereas they'd just snipe all the turrets to death from a safe distance if they were on.

In related news, sappers can go gently caress themselves. My best defense against them so far has been the fact that the arctic ice sheet my base is built on has an average outside temperature of -20C. The last sapper raid came during a cold snap in January when it was -70C out (heated internal rooms were hovering around -1C :gonk:), the whole group broke from stress and hypothermia before finishing their tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope it is a standin, the interface is awful. I'd love a sell all button and locks to prevent sales of individual things you don't want to get rid of (like i want to sell that vast pile of great bows but leave the sniper rifles alone). Or in lieu of locks a refinement to the stockpile system that would let me assign individual items to a specific stockpile because I'd love to be able to have an armory of my situational weapons and have everything else dragged off to the sales pit.

I'd also like to see a ransoming option for prisoners. Right now I tend to just catch and release most of the tribals just to get them to stop attacking me, but its hardly even worth capturing a pirate. Recruitment chance is too low, harvesting their organs then selling them just annoys everyone, and releasing them has no positive faction effect. At this point I just shoot the shocked ones on the ground and only capture guys that have bionic limbs to steal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dotcom656 posted:

its only letting me try to make gold walls.

There's just never enough gold out there to make a shimmering golden palace. This saddens me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

0lives posted:

God dammit I'm trying to wait for mods to catch up, stop updating! :argh:
Tamed animals sounds awesome though. Hope you have to feed them.

They seem mostly updated. I installed the 11d version of the Ultimate Modpack within a couple hours of 11d

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14229.0

I'm not 100% certain I like the changes this mod does. Man is starting a new fort brutal. Need to research about 12 things before you can even make a solar panel, much less any semblance of base defence.

Certainly liven things up tho, nothing like getting attacked by dudes with tanks and railguns 30 minutes into the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

0lives posted:

Ah, right, thank you both. Man, there are even more mods now than last time I played.

Ultimate modpack doesn't even include them all. Some guy on the official forums is maintaining a master list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GB5GAQ9VhH3fobgUwRextiJmmoW7k5XFu8weIoQFMpI/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Ninefinger is really good about staying on top of mods he includes and even fixing and updating them if they're not maintained any more but yeah I'm not really keen on the kitchen sink approach he takes. You can disable parts of it but it relies totally on Superior Crafting and a number of other mods that I'm not interested in. It was pretty great of him to repair and update Latta's RedistHeat mod though.

Is that the ductwork mod? I really couldn't figure that one out. Built ducts around, built an intake by an industrial cooler, exaust vents to the outside. HVAC room was like 1C and the duct network was still warmer than the ambient air :iiam:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dunno-Lars posted:

Geothermal plants need ventilation. Make a corridor to somewhere you can remove the roof from, and make a thick wall around your ventilation hole.

Or just dig a giant cavern. Large enough rooms will usually act as a heat sink.

Where do you guys find all these mountains with internal geothermal vents, mine are always scattered all over the map and not even worth using because raiders just blow them up

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

The AI does do that, it won't sit and shoot you if you're in really good cover and it can't get any decent cover. It'll charge you and try to flank you.

I put giant garbage stockpiles in front of my base and load it with stones so all attackers slow to a crawl crossing it, makes for a great death field for those flankers

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lorini posted:

Help, I just started playing Rimworld and watched a couple of videos to get some idea of what to do. Can someone tell me why my cook won't cook? Here is a short video, sorry about the sleeping at the start. Fowler is supposed to be the cook. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jZ4OfZ9exM

Your video doesn't seem to include a list of the bills at your cooking table. What do you have it set to?

Or, if you're really new and don't know, you need to assign jobs at the crafting tables. Click on the cooking thing, click the "bills" button, and then set up "make simple meals" until you have like 20 or something

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lorini posted:

Whoops, sorry, yes I have a bill to cook simple meals until there are 10 of them. Should have shown that.

In that picture anyway it has no power

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Something else to try would be to select your cook and right click the stove and try to force him to cook. If its blocked for some reason it'll say "can't prioritize: xxx" which might give some info.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lorini posted:

He will cook if I tell him to. Yes the stove eventually ran out of power but I got more to it and he's still not cooking. OK I will deconstruct the stove and start over, thanks everyone.

What is he actually doing? Just milling around? Did you have a shot of his priorities in the overview and I missed it (I know you said its a 2)?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Agnostalgia posted:

Is cataract removal surgery not an option instead of bionic eyes? People could do it before christ was born, surely if our colonists can build a solar panel out of scrap metal they can handle that.

No, but I think you can harvest eyes (or buy them) and then replace the cataract eyes with good ones

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

I don't actually know if you can harvest eyes actually. But no, no cataract removal. Robot eyes or nothing.

On the plus side one robot eye and one cataracted eye is almost as good as two normal eyes so you can get most of the functionality back with just one robot eye.

Ah, must be one of my mods then. I have a vast collection of eyes I purchased from traders since like half my dudes are prostophobes :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

What does edb do for starting out then? I've never used it.

It basically gives you the dwarf fortress options. You choose skills, traits, gear, and starting stuff before you embark. It either balances (somewhat) on a point system so you have to stay reasonable, or you can uncheck that box and have your pile of all 20s space marines land on the planet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KyloWinter posted:

How do you guys survive boreal winter with a pack of wargs? you need constant fresh meat for them to eat but you have to make sure to somehow tell your colonists to not eat it?

I imagine they combine their warg packs with vast flocks of chickens

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What both of them said. Also those two turrets are too close together, if one blows up it'll take the other with it.

edit: and your walls

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skaw posted:

Yeah, Turrets explode and damage anything in a rounded 7x7 area(The corners of a 7x7 square would be safe.) Place Turrets 4 spaces away from themselves and other things you don't want blown up when they are destroyed.

Tho if you put a single metal wall between them they'll be protected from the blast, it just limits their firing arc

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

vandalism posted:

Hardcore SK is cool if you take out seeds please. It's still micromanaging but it doesn't put you on a timer for lack of growing food.

It makes random blights death too

I had a blight about 6 days into my last seeds-enabled game which destroyed every crop (and as such seed I started with). Can't grow food til a trader shows up! Hope you have adequate meat options!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KyloWinter posted:

What are the best mods? I'm currently only using the prepare carefully mod.

I like:
Vein Miner: Mine a whole ore vein with one click
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0

Roof support pillar: Nothing fancy, just a craftable item that doesn't block movement to support ceilings vs leaving random walls around.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10320.0

This is a big collection, don't know if you can just take the floors, but I like the floors :v:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4373.0

Cave flora + fishing: Honestly I'm a little torn on this one, it does make things a bit easier since some of the mushrooms are usable as medicine and the fish are easy to get food
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13172.0

More lighting options:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14870.0

Few new factions, if you feel that being attacked by androids with tanks sounds like a good idea:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7670.0

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I wonder if his engine just doesn't support them at the moment. Prepare carefully has the same issue. Want to start with 1000 rabbit hide? Get your clicking finger ready cause you're hitting +1 1000 times.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What I've found helps with the whole "bedridden people go insane" thing is to draft them occasionally and drag them outside briefly. Ends the cabin fever issues, and they generally go and talk to someone before going back to bed which ends the totally joy deprived. Not too bad a hit for sickness and keeps them sane.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Overwined posted:

TVs seem sort of useless. I can't recall if I've ever seen a colonist use one. However, if they had a sort of joy area effect for the room they're in, that would be something that could at least partially meet the joy needs of patients in the infirmary.

They seem pretty low on the list, but I've had various colonists watch movies. Slap a TV down with a comfy chair in front of it and someone will eventually sit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drunk in Space posted:

I think there's a bit of an issue with how close the chair is to the TV and the orientation of both. Too close or too far and I've noticed colonists will often sit down and then stand up immediately and go and do something else. Two tiles from the TV usually works ok, but it's definitely not something they use as much as you might expect. At the very least you'd think all the medieval serfs you always seem to end up with would be dazzled and entranced by it constantly.

I spend a fortune on video game machines and all sorts of fancy joy items and they spend 99% of their time at the sandstone horseshoe pit. See if I give you guys a nice home next time :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IAmTheRad posted:

The modpack in the OP has some nice turrets.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6895.0 is the unedited version for plebs who don't use the goon modpack.

The avenger turret owns

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

Sniper rifle from max range, slow but safe. This really only works when the mechanoids are sitting near their crash ship part.

For downed ships I also enjoy kiting raiders over to them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, if you set that cooler to like -30 you might get heat inside

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

euphronius posted:

The game has a built in tutorial to get you going.

I found just watching a couple streamers to be about the best way

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirViver posted:

It's generally not necessary to refrigerate that stockpile as the butchering should happen before anything spoils, unless you keep your colonists completely busy with other stuff.

I use the manual priorities and make sure my cook's highest priority is always cooking, so he'll drop whatever he's doing to go butcher immediately. Works out well

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Traps in this game seem pretty purposeless. It's not like DF where an enemy will gladly take the trap lined maze to your base instead of just bashing the door down simply because it is "open".

So you either need to trap your primary routes, which just end up with dead colonists, or make very short trap hallways that they WILL take, but the traps do so little damage that it's hardly worth the hassle.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tommofork posted:

:laffo: any details?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3mxt5z/ultimate_overhaul_modpack_gone/

As always, :10bux:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

The thing that gets me as that as far as I can tell he's getting high and mighty over a loving modpack. Like is he even doing anything other than just making sure they all work together and putting them all in the same download?

Don't worry about it dorkozoid I'll just make my own 'modpack' by downloading things individually.

He maintains a bunch of dead mods in the modpack, and edits them pretty heavily to make them work together in a more rational manner

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skaw posted:

That's why animal zones are important. Keep the booze for the bingers, not the pets.

Is there some way to default animal zones? It seems to take either the last thing you assigned something or whatever is closest. I have a small animal zone I assign for butchering to minimize hauling and I keep ending up getting messages like "Apalca 4 is starving to death!" and when I go to investigate its because the game auto-assigned it to a small room with a butchering table.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can someone explain to me how the hell ducts work? I made a room with an industrial heater, put an intake in there, connected ducts to it, ran the ducts across the hall to a smart vent, network temperature never changes from ambient indoor temperature. Room's at 20, network is at 11, Room's at 200, network is at 11.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirViver posted:

Have you made sure you're using the correct network? There's an upper and lower duct network and intakes/outlets default to the lower one.

How do you check that? The version I see on ludeon's website has like "upper duct" and such, but the one from the modpack a page or two back doesn't seem to

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Conot posted:

In my current colony, I'm mostly just making stoneblocks to sell to clear up dumping grounds.

Basically Wood is what you use to train someone up on crafting, steel is what you use if you're short on gold/silver, gold/silver is what you use when you wanna make legendary statues worth 5k+.

The mod pack thats linked in the OP has some new, crafting only materials like copper, that are useful because you're not gonna need them for anything else.

Have you honestly found yourself turning a profit on gold/silver statues? I had my 20 artist making stuff out of gold/silver and found that I could just sell the gold or silver for more than the statue was worth unless it was legendary. Over the course of 10 statues I at best broke even.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lorini posted:

I wish there were a simpler mod that just lets me choose some skills and moods and then start playing. It's nearly as long to set up a loadout in that mod than it is to find something decent randomly.

You can save the loadout so you only really need to do it once

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tias posted:

This. Set up two-four balanced or fun colonist templates when you have a little time to burn, then you can just load them whenever.

That all said I wish you could just type numbers into the goddamn prepare carefully window. It's horrible if you want to add like 1000 wood to the default loadout

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

My recommendation would be to not use the one in Inacio's modpack as I had your problem too.

The newer version is both more attractive to look at and less buggy, I think. You can just delete the old version and install the new one on top of the modpack.

Good news everyone, I've discovered the problem with my ducts: Inacio's modpack doesn't have the Community Core Library in it :v:

I upgraded RedistHeat and it worked even worse than the old one, then I decided to just start over and make my own modpack and discovered the missing library. Just added that and everything started working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Conot posted:

Cheers. Now I have to go find that on ludeons forums. :gonk:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14172.0