Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm thinking of getting into this game, since it looks like some of the best bits of the other dwarf fortress-like games I've played, minus the ultra-fine and gritty details and micromanaging that those games sometimes have. I also like the modding capabilities. Is there a list of awesome mods somewhere? Is the official wiki the place to go for game knowledge, or is there a better source? And exactly how easy is it to jump into the game brand new and get started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Minarchist posted:

Official forums have a lot of mods that are completed and not half assed. I got into it right away, the interface is a *little* clunky at times but you get used to it, its nowhere near as labyrinthine as Dorf Fort.

I got the game, generated a world, and sent two late-twenties men and a 15 year old girl down to the dirt. Strangely, the 15 year old girl was more skilled in the various labor intensive duties than both of the men combined, but what can ya do?

My first order of business, as I kludged my way through the tool tips and interface, was to unforbid all the poo poo around the landing site, claim a couple nearby ruins for the colony, and send one of the guys to open up the 3 sleeper beds in the ruins while the other two hauled stuff to a stockpile and began planting food. Unfortunately, the unarmed sickly researcher guy I sent to open the beds got ambushed by 3 bandits with guns, who quickly finished off all 3 of them. Total colony lifespan: a minute thirty.

Time to pick a different site and try again. I feel like that's a rite of passage in most DF-likes. Much like how beating yourself to death with your shoes and stumbling out an airlock is the same for SS13.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Alaan posted:

As far as I can tell those sleeper pods are basically suicide until the point they become goodie baskets for your colonies(when you don't really need it because you are strong enough to face down six angry goons). They go wrong WAY more than they go right.

Yeah, lesson learned. I've got 1 building on this new site with 6 beds, and it's on the other side of the map from where I am working.

Is there a newbie guide to the game? I have no idea what stuff I should prioritize building, and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have built a solar panel and nutrient paste dispenser before finishing all of the available workbenches.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Very good, I'll give pretty much all of those a shot.

Does anyone have a link to Temperature Control? I can't seem to find the link in its thread.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

immoral_ posted:

You have to make an account on the forums, and then download it from an attachment in the post.

Ugh, really? That's literally the only mod that does that. I hate signing up for sites just for 1 thing. Oh well...

EDIT: I went and got the file, but I ain't happy about it. :argh:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 9, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

"Well... Chopping up this guy and selling his organs and skin on the black market is pretty bad. Almost as much as eating off this poo poo-and-blood-covered floor. But god drat is it ever uncomfortable to sleep in a hot room. Glad I don't have to deal with that."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Generation Internet posted:

code:
You can now rescue incapacitated neutral people and heal them. Their faction will be appreciative
Oh my god, yes, it was annoying as poo poo to rescue an outlander who was being kidnapped by pirates, only to have their faction declare war on you the moment you picked them up.

Tommofork posted:

There's a mod that does this currently.

Anyone got a name or link for this mod?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So. The Battlestations mod. Is there any way to unassign a key that's been assigned to a squad? I accidentally pressed CTRL + d instead of f, and now whenever I scroll right one of my colonists gets highlighted and I hear some annoying sound clip from whatever game the author curbed them from.

EDIT: Also, how can you easily tell if a place has a roof or not?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 10, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well poo poo, thanks for sacrificing your game and sanity to figure that out.

Got more questions. how do I erect a roof in an area where there isn't one? I was digging and found a small roofless alcove right in the middle of where I wanted a large covered section.

Also, how can I tell is an A/C unit is actually cooling a place? I just installed one in what is going to be a walk in fridge, powered it, and set the dial to 34 degrees. The food I am hauling into the area still says that it's unrefrigerated. Is there any way I can tell if the unit is working as intended? Related, is there anything stopping me from just venting the exhaust of the A/C into a 1x1 hole in the wall that no one will ever go to? Or does it need venting to the outside world?

EDIT: God dammit, I keep finding open areas where I want to mine out rooms. I found a geyser in a cave. I guess at least that's well protected constant energy, but that was supposed to be a couple of new bedrooms.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 10, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Minarchist posted:

If you're still having issues with your cooler, post a screenshot. And make sure it's not 34 degrees Celsius :v:

It's set to 34F, and the space is 4x7. The a/c does say it's using high power, but you'd think it'd be enough for a small-ish room like that. The room is roofed, as well as the 1x1 exhaust square.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

tonberrytoby posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Did you block the ac's inside opening?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gibbo posted:

Take the drat roof off the square and it will be fine.

Why would you even try that? Do you not understand how peltier coolers work, or did you think "COOL AIR GOES HERE, HOT AIR COMES HERE"

While I understand having to vent the heat, I don't understand how to take the roof off that one square. How do I do that?

EDIT: Trying to apply a no roof zone to that square doesn't allow me to place the zone, by the way.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 10, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

hailthefish posted:

If it's under a mountain you can't take the roof off.

Uh, yeah, i just found that out while googling around. My only other option will be to create a vent via tunnel, which I can technically do, but it'll cut off a section of untapped rock. Welp, guess I have no choice. At least this is my learning base, so ifwhen it goes up in flames, I know I'll have learned something from it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, does anyone have any idea why my geothermal generator caught fire and exploded? My guess is that it's because it was in a cave, where the only ventilation was a 1 wide hallway leading outside, but could it have also been due to not being hooked up to the power grid? Like, could it have overloaded on too much power and gone up in smoke?

EDIT: Also, I have a prisoner whose currently starving because I can't figure out how to feed him. I got him healed up just fine, but I don't know how to make someone bring him food. I've only got one guy whose even capable of being a warden, but my only option with him is to strip the prisoner.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 11, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tommofork posted:

Check the prisoner's health tab to see if they have a serious jaw injury.

e: this will stop them from eating until they eventually starve. I'm not sure if it's in vanilla or from a mod, but you may be able to go to the health tab, then operations, and then order dentures to be installed like a surgery.

It turns out that I'm not the most observant, and the prisoner had actually eaten, and was slowly losing the starvation affliction they had, which I guess is treated like a disease in this game. Now I have another prisoner that crashed in an escape pod, with a cracked spine, hip, and lots of bruising. I can't seem to get my doctor to visit them for treatment. Is this because there's no bleeding or open wounds? I'm kinda sad to see this person s l o w l y dragging themselves around their cell, especially considering their injuries, but I do see that they are slowly getting better. Except for the crippling pain, they don't seem to be otherwise impaired. So do i just leave this person alone until they heal?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, why is it that I can't build any closer than 6 tiles to the edge of the map? I get not blocking things from spawning in, but I'm trying to build bedrooms and this ruins another two and makes it so I can't even seal up the vent I mined open to expand the A/C system, thus rendering that unusable as well, right at the beginning of a heatwave. Is there any work around for this? I just need to be able to build out to 3 tiles before the edge to make it work, but 6 is way far in.

EDIT: vvv No other DF-like game I've ever played said you couldn't build anything, even walls, 6 tiles in. I'm playing on the biggest medium map, but I've only got 4 people, and labor is time consuming right now. vvv

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 11, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

DF, like SS13, are good games to read about, but the fun stuff doesn't actually happen very often. Games like this are slightly better, IMO, because they're new, and so lots of the bugs haven't been discovered yet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's the best way to get guns? I only had 1 arms dealer fly by so far, and his prices were ridiculous. Can you eventually manufacture your own guns?

EDIT: Also, what's the radius for standing lights? I want to light up in interior hallway, but I don't wanna use more power than I have to.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 12, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, I look forward to the day when I can make my own AK-47 or whatever, then. I checked the lights, and the radius is ~8 or 9 tiles. Is there any point to raising goodwill with the natives as of yet? Like, if I get it above a certain threshold, can I trade with them or something?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, one of my colonists caught the flu, and he sat in bed for a couple weeks, using up all the medicine until he finally developed an immunity to the flu and got out of bed and began working again. However, even though he's apparently immune to the flu and should thus be cured, he still lists as having it and still shows that he's weakened in some aspects, and his health bar is not full. Will this go away, or is he forever crippled slightly by his past fight with the flu?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cool. Yeah, I noticed that it went away after like 4 days.

How about this one: I've got a climate that gets up to ~100 in the summer, but down to ~40 in the winter. Not unmanageable by any means, but if I were to put a heater and an a/c in the same venting ducts and set them to the same temperature, would they both work in tandem to keep the temperature exactly at what I had it set for, or would they fight constantly and essentially use up a bunch of power making the temperature yoyo up and down?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gibbo posted:

Jan 13
Eating now takes priority even over emergency work (doctoring, firefighting) if a colonist is starving.
Colonists, when hauling to stockpiles, always haul the max amount they can carry, and drop the extra nearby if the target cell can’t hold it all.
Reworked ship takeoff sequence into a proper whiteout with nice credits.
Player can no longer magically toggle power on any item. Rather, you designate power to be toggled and the colonists go do it.
Temperature now equalizes mainly through walls.

ruh-roh.

Oh, that's gonna suck. I mean, I can route a power line for the turrets to a switch inside the base, sure, but controlling lights is gonna be a pain in the rear end now. And heat/cold bleeding through walls is gonna gently caress up my freezer/cook station, which shares a wall with the mess hall, and it sounds like it's gonna make all the temperature appliances run a lot harder. Does this negate the usefulness of vents?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, back on page 38, Tommofork posted his list of QoL mods for the game. I'm still chugging along with my newbie map, plugging through content, but I'm getting more towards the end of what I think there is to do, and I'm interested in adding more for my next map. Does anyone have any other mods that they've tried and liked? I'm looking to add new things to make, do, collect, and basically flesh out the game more.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh wow, one of my original colonists just got his nose shot off in a raid. Ouch.

Thankfully, he's not the cook.

EDIT: So, how do sandbags actually work for cover? Because my colonists seem content to just stand behind them like lemmings and get shot. Is there some button I need to press, or do they only use them for cover if they're not drafted, or what?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 18, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, wow, I just lived through a combined heatwave, malaria outbreak, and invasion. Had 120 degree weather at night, with half my colonists sick in bed, when an invasion force of 20 tribesmen decide to come knocking. All my guys managed to survive, but I had to finish off the fallen mercilesslyabandon hope of saving any stragglers because my 2 doctors were already strained to the breaking point. Seeing that many bodies in the overbearing heat while trying to walk to the kitchen to get food, then go to bed threw up like 8 different breaking point warnings at once, to. Very nearly the end of the colony.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gibbo posted:

Some serve to do things that should have been put in with certain mechanics. (Like the vents, instead of having to jam an A/C in every room)

But a lot are just tards going full ham and wanting a field covered in corpses the easy way.

Yeah, I really like the vents. I'm looking for mods that work like that; They add a functionality or an extra mechanic, or fill in where there isn't something yet in the game. I don't need a BFG9000 to kill everything, or a superfood that grows in a day and fellates my colonists as they eat it, or what have you. I'd really like a mod, for example, that lets me research and build the various guns in the vanilla game. Or one that allows me to manually cancel a job I don't want a certain colonist to do. Things like that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tindahbawx posted:

Can anyone give me a screenshot of their Organization screen, with priorities set?

I understand that it will do things labelled 1 over anything else on their list, followed by 2, etc, and that if there is two "2"'s for example it will do the one closer to the left first, but my crafters are just outright refusing to go and make be some stone building materials even though theres a bench for them to do so, a stockpile of stone chunks sitting right beside it, and a bill on the job saying "Do Forever". The room is warm, decorated nicely, and I even put some objects with a good beauty rating in there to try and entice them in, but its like they're allergic to it. Theres 2 crafters, and one of them will invariably run over to the tailors bench and get making me some human leather clothes, but then the other wont goto the drat stonecutting table once the tailor bench is occupied.

Stonecutting is tied to crafting skill, right?

I had a similar problem at a couple points in my base. What I found worked for me was to suspend all the other benches that I didn't want them to work on, until they started working on the particular bench, and then unsuspend them. You can also select the colonist, right click the bench, and if they have that particular duty active, you'll be able to select the prioritize <bench> command and they'll get right to work. If you don't get that option with the selected colonist, make sure that both crafting and art are enabled with that specific colonist, and that they don't have 0 skill or - in the relevant categories. I think a colonist with 0 skill can technically do the relevant activity, but you really don't want them to, as it'll take forever. A - in the relevant skill means they're incapable of doing it at all.

One thing I really wish I could do is assign a colonist to a certain specific task only. Like, if I've just killed a group of mad Alphabeaver, I want to be able to assign one guy to butcher them all, and another to cook them into food, and do nothing else until that bill is done. Or if I just mined out a large tunnel, and my dump stockpile is filled with rock, I want my two crafters to only cut stone blocks till they're all gone. I don't want them running over and making a shirt that I don't need out of muffalo leather when everyone's clothed, and I need to build my bunker. I'd also like to forbid certain colonists from going to certain areas and doing certain tasks sometimes. What's that, Longshank? You're on the brink of snapping because you've been bearing witness to the 20 corpses of the raiders I just killed? Ok, well go haul these potatoes to the kitchen. NO DON'T GO WADING BACK INTO THE GORE TO GRAB A BASIC MEAL I HAVE FINE MEALS IN THE KITCHEN YOU gently caress!

Incidentally, by the way, I've come to hate the Too Smart trait. Sure, it's useful, but when I have it on my best doctor, she keeps getting strained to near the breaking point with every patient she cares for. Also, gently caress you, Longshank for having it as well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Opal posted:

Anyone else unable to get the Crematorium to work? I feel like I've tried everything. It has both bills active set to Forever, it has power. If there's a grave they take the corpses there and if there isn't it says there's no place to store the corpse. What gives?

Do you have a dumping pile set to accept corpses? I had a crematorium set up that worked pretty well with a small dumping stockpile nearby strictly for corpses. Dead invaders would get dumped there, then the colonists would haul them to the crematorium if I right clicked it and selected prioritize.

I do wish that colonists would get desensitized to corpses after a while though, or suffer less of a penalty for having to wade through the killing zone, stripping and hauling bodies. It sucks when I have 5 free colonists who can strip and haul, but 3 of them are about to snap because they observed a corpse X15 and have lost the will to live. It just prolongs the task of cleaning and repairing and sorting, with the added bonus of potentially losing a colonist, which sucks.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'd like it if animals bred and were a bit more loosely spread out than they currently are. My last map, all the muffalo and deer were huddled in the southwestern corner of my large map, while I had taken up residence in the northeastern corner. Sure, I got the random squirrel or whatever that wandered over, but hunting in that map required a cabin to be built in that corner with a bed specifically for my hunter, who became useless for anything else while out there. That, combined with how slowly animals trickled in made anything other than simple meals with potatoes and berries a luxury in my camp.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty cool tbh.

Don't get me wrong, it was neat the first time I had to get everything set up, but by the 3rd or 4th time I'd have to send my hunter on his expeditions, it became tedious. Mostly it was the fact that the map size made the journey there take almost a whole day, especially because I couldn't really get a food stockpile set up at the campsite to effectively feed the hunter. So I'd waste a whole day to get the hunter in their bed out there, then spend the next day ineffectually plinking away at one animal or another, and then each animal killed would require another day to haul it back to home base. It ended up basically being a huge time sink for this one guy, who kept getting progressively grumpier at sleeping in a cabin instead of his luxuriously air conditioned bedroom, who was constantly hungry because he had no nearby food source, and the whole thing made meat gathering a chore.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Didn't you have any raiders? Meat is meat...

Yeah, but I guess my colony was filled with pansies because they all really seemed to hate the human meat meals, especially my cook, who was Too Smart for their own good.

I'd be totally fine using human meat if there was a mod or something that desensitized the colonists over time to seeing corpses and eating human meat.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Drunk in Space posted:

There's one mod (Minami, I think) that adds something called the C.H.E.S.T, an advanced storage device that can hold about a thousand items, but needs fairly high level research to reach as well as a specialized module to actually build it, so while powerful, it does require a bit of effort on your part. I think it requires power too.

I would enjoy something like this if the unit came in a modular format. Like, where the base unit has like 10 units of space, and you can research more and more at higher and higher costs to add more storage. As you add more, further requirements, like power, or additional advanced materials to actually build the upgrade, are required and the return on investment becomes really lovely as well. So basically, you end up having to choose between spending the next year having someone researching a bunch of upgrades, or actually spend that time being productive.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The only thing I've ever found gold useful for is as a way to store tons of silver. Like trading in all your dimes for a :10bux:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Leave small booze stockpiles outside in areas where raiders are likely to pass?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Space Station 13 has a worm-thing whose name I forget that lives out in the mining field. It doesn't target players, but ores instead. It'll rush for valuable ores and gobble them up like it's nothing. It's tough as nails and takes a severe beating to kill, but if you don't do it quick enough, it'll happily gobble up all your precious minerals. Once dead, it spits up whatever it ate in the past few seconds, so there is incentive to kill it quick instead of just grabbing your poo poo and running. I think it might translate well into this game.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there any way, in the vanilla game, to build walls over water? I was able to build a bridge and place barricades on it, but that doesn't stop my colonists, and one side of my colony is a river, so I'd like to have that be defended at least a little bit. I guess I could build my kill hallway alongside the river instead of in it, but then that's not as fun.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Broken Cog posted:

You can put wood walls on bridge segments, but you can't have anything stronger than that. Still, it's better than nothing.

All things being equal, would raiders prioritize going through those wooden walls any more than other types of walls? Basically, I wanna wall up the upstream part, and try to force raiders to wade into the base from downstream to slow them down and give me time to assemble my forces.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How many colonists do you guys usually go with, and how do you train them into murder machines? I've got 10 hopeless morons right now, and only 2 of them have shooting above 9, and my gun production is way down because I'm running super slim on components due to poo poo breaking down on a daily basis and needing them to be repaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm getting near to the end of my first big base. What would you guys say are the best QOL mods to get? Really, anything that's basically like a requirement for playing modded. Also, what sort of start do you guys recommend? Admittedly, I did a pretty forgiving and easy 1st play through, and I'm not looking for balls-hard, so I guess just a step or two up from that.