Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I picked this up yesterday and think I'm going to have a lot of fun with it! My first run was going ok until summer hit and my tiny colony got hit by a heatwave and everyone got sunburnt to death.

How should I be preparing for summer? Do I need to rush to make hats or something, restrict everyone to stay indoors during the day? I probably could have figured my way around it, but I'm not used to the interface yet and didn't actually realise the heatwave was still going. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Got a game going as a tribe today before the update hit and have a reasonable idea of how all the basics work now (including making it through two heatwaves -- thanks for the advice!). Got a guy murdered by an angry rhino and his poor husky lost an eye fighting to avenge him, but the rhino let him live.

Game is good.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a way to just tell your guys to throw poo poo out? I've had a couple of dessicated rabbit corpses clogging up various stores for ages and there's no obvious way to make them get rid of it.

Being able to mark anything for dumping as garbage seems sensible but Rimworld doesn't seem to do that?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Oh, yeah. I missed the Allow Rotten tick. All fixed!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Oh god. Just had one of those moments.

My tamer turned a pack of local elephants manhunter in a vain attempt to tame one. they bludgeoned her almost to death and took her eye before hunting down the rest of my colony. I'm poo poo at microing so, after a short kite, two of my 3 combat-capable colonists that remained were also down. Then came Addy. She survived the bloodbath and I made her go hide in a bedroom. The elephants break the door down and I figured I was done.

Then Addy punched an elephant unconscious. The other two had drifted off to hunt for my pacifist farmer, so I made her give chase. She got to the doorway, took a potshot with her rifle and they both turned on her again. Fleeing inside, her faithful labrador Lulu blocks the elephant in the entrance and picks a fight, allowing Addy to shoot the elephant to death just after Lulu went down. The other elephant was out in the open and she finished that one off too.

That was incredible.

tl;dr My colonist with a melee skill of 3 just won a fist fight with an injured elephant, killed two more and saved every life in her colony. Except the dog, who I forgot about :smith:

Game owns.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

While we're on combat tips -- any general advice on dealing with sappers? I lost my last colony because I got overexcited and rushed to meet them before the mountain i was hugging was full of holes.

Frontal assaults haven't been much of an issue for me so far (I haven't got to any huge invasions though), but when they come at me sideways like this.. goddamn.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Alpha17b has been out for almost 3 weeks at this point, hasn't it?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I've been avoiding adding content mods, but think it's about time I looked into it. Glittertech seems a little too much, but I'm considering EPOE and Recon and Discovery, which both get talked up a lot in this thread. Is there anything else worth looking into? I'm working solely with basic utility mods (and RimFridge) right now.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The wildlife in this game is loving savage

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Speaking of tornadoes -- i just had one touch down on my dormitory in the middle of the night, then proceed to sweep in a perfect line across my whole base. Four serious injuries, though nobody died, but good grief that sucked.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

New quest system owns

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any mods out there that strip out all the Kickstarter backgrounds? I appreciate they paid to get them in, but I hit a really gross one yesterday and I just can't be bothered dealing with some guy's creepy fanfic.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

My colony aren't much in the way of fighters, but I thought "12 manhunting fennec foxes? They're tiny! What could go wrong?"

EVERYTHING COULD GO WRONG

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm terrible at this game, but I'm slowly learning both of these lessons.

i was terrified when the game was making me fight murderbots on like day three for a quest, but it was only one of them so you just overpower it. I should have appreciated the lesson for when the reverse happened.

You just learn and move on!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I'm presuming the answer is yes to this, but this IS Rimworld - if you have multiple nobles that require a throne room, will one throne room count for all of them, or do they all need separate thrones?

I'm just imagining three Counts all vying for the biggest throne room.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Took my boys Thrumbo-baiting today. Popped a round at one and took off back to my trap line. I thought 7 of them would be enough but it extremely wasn't. Threw a melee guy in to hold it in place so they could finish it off and the fight lasted at most 5 seconds.

Checked the melee guy afterwards and the only thing wrong was that the Thrumbo had eaten both his hands.

Game owns.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Heffer posted:

Is there a hand sanitizer mod

Currently out of stock due to high demand

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Lost a colony to an infestation I didn't think was possible combined with panicking trying to rally a defense. Turns out three tiles of my lab were overhead mountain.

It was almost a miraculous turnaround - man in black showed up and finished the stragglers, but the entire colony bled out before he could patch any of them up.

Only myself to blame. NEXT.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Where are the shells themselves coming from? The sieges deploy actual mortars that shoot them. They shouldn't just be flying from off map or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

It's nice of donors to just show up like that, imo.