Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Just got this game as an easier Dwarf Fortress and it's pretty great. I started near some streams because I thought water might be useful, but I'm about to finish the first year and haven't needed it for anything. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Finally was about to get my boreal forest colony on a sustainable path, having added a decent geothermal-powered hydroponic rice farm after 2 difficult winters. First was mostly okay after shooting most of the wildlife for meat, but the second got really lean towards the end, and everyone started eating corpses.

Expected to have tons of food stocks from the non-hydroponic corn and potato fields after summer, right before Randy decided to call in volcanic winter about 80% of the way through the main growing season--right after two major raids.

This game really does have a way of making me put it away for the night.

Cool, this just happened to me too except with Phoebe, so I wasn't expecting that. Ran out of food in winter and then volcanic winter right after, so everyone is about to starve to death. I opened some dangers for fun and enjoyed dying to bugs too.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

So if I'm hearing it correctly, there's a mod to rape prisoners and get rectal cored but not one that adds a balanced, functioning water system?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well this is a guy who wants his base building colony simulator to have an ending rather than just letting us take over the planet.

Hey we've worked hard and turned our colony into a utopia. Time to leave.

I don't know whether i'm in the majority or the minority but I really wanted Rimworld to become sci fi dwarf fortress with much better graphics and accessibility. It was not to be. Still a great game.

Yeah, I want the same thing. The game is fun but it swings pretty far in the oversimplified direction. There's gotta be a good middle ground between right click to perform task and watch a 15 minute video to understand up/down stairs.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Maybe Tynan can just work on Rimworld 2 which is actually a colony builder remake of the 1992 strategy adventure game Dune.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 13, 2018

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

McGiggins posted:

I've never heard of this dune game and google gives me nothing ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3NcFEvc4yk

TLDW harvest spice, recruit people, and pay taxes to the emperor until you've had enough and raid all their poo poo

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

20% slower cooking sounds like a lot, surely there must be a better solution. We have the technology.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

o wait that was this thread

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

A cold startup is about 20 minutes before I get to the main menu.

:stonklol:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Piell posted:

RimHUD, Allow Tool, Replace Stuff, Dubs Mint Menus, Color Coded Mood Bar, Work Tab if you want no real changes to the gameplay and just want a better UI/less micromanagement. Add Pick Up and Haul, Share the Load, Deep Storage (or other increased storage mod), Dub's Bad Hygiene, Trading Spot, CleaningArea if you're ok with some gameplay improvements.

Adding to this, HeatMap, Blueprints and More Planning are essential and should be vanilla. Labels on Floor is great. Interaction Bubbles makes the game much more lively since you can actually see people talking about the nature of the universe while taming a rabbit or whatever. Defensive Positions is good too.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

A banished tribesman came wandering near my camp, so I tried to take him prisoner to recruit and it destroyed my relationship with the tribe. Why would that happen if he’s banished?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You can't force a prisoner to wear clothes, but you can put clothes in their room and they'll pick them up and wear them if they're naked. Just create a Critical stockpile in their room and move some clothes into it

I just have someone pick up what I want, walk them over there and drop it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What are the best “regular” Rimworld playthroughs to watch? This guy PeteCompletes has a great voiceover but I don’t really want to watch that many naked brutality vids.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Another infestation question - I was told only the “darker” roofed mountain squares (overhead mountain vs rock roof) can spawn hives. Is that true? I have a couple infestations where they spawned on both types of roofs, but I’m wondering if it’s because there was any overhead mountain available in the first place.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah for some reason I've never found a trader that sells chickens or cows. That includes visiting other cities to trade.

This is my experience too in 2 recent games. The only animal mod I have is expanded dogs/cats though. Guess I have to settle for milking dromedaries.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Oh yeah, they’re excellent. I’m just jealous of that chicken army :kiddo:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I just had my first taste of a 20 man raid showing up during a rare thrumbos event, with an animal pulser previously collecting dust in storage :getin:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Do power conduits prevent a hive spawn? I can’t find a definitive answer. My base has one small unfortunate mountain in the middle that I’m using as a battery room. I suppose I could just fill in the problem squares.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What mod highlights the names like that?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Carcer posted:

So, this landed in front of my bases entrance. Its pretty scary but the fact that the walls block the turrets from most sides mean I'm not too worried since I can just mortar them down when I'm done with killing the mechs and in the meantime area restrictions will do.

The big building is a psychic droner, set to male, and wouldn't you know it but every single one of my colonists is female, entirely by accident. The robots aren't affected since they're genderless, I suppose.

I'm actually quite torn on what to do with this. The mechs/turrets are going to activate in 5.5 days so I've got time to plant IEDs around everything and then just explode it all but honestly, this just makes the entrance to my killing field massively tougher.

How do you get around the alarms to plant IEDs close enough?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Yeah my base is right against a cave that I walled off with a single line of wood, and they’ve never done anything. I’ve partially built my economy on just sneaking in while they’re asleep and swiping the jelly.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Yeah, with the new storyteller tweaks you can see that the standard Adventure difficulty already starts at a 100% additional chance to instantly kill a downed enemy, I assume over the base value.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

My pawns won’t put on parkas despite developing hypothermia. I have no idea why - they’re not restricting from wearing anything. The only new mods I turned on are common sense and best mix, but they shouldn’t interact with wearing outfits. Basically, why is clothing such a pain.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Curse these absolutely fabulous dusters everyone already has, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What are the recommended race/faction mods people recommend? There’s a ton and I have no idea which are actually functional. Also I assume most can’t be added to a current save? It would be fun to add some variety to my forever base.