Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hi thread, just starting with this game and my colonists are starving because they can't prepare any meals. I've already googled this issue and it appears my commands are set up correctly but I'm still unable to cook, would anyone advise?

I have a fueled stove supplied with fuel, I have all my colonists enabled to cook, I have 40 units of fresh venison in my stockpile zone and I have a bill for one serving of ingredient-agnostic simple food on the stove. Despite this any colonist I try to assign to cooking gets 'Cannot cook fueled stove (needs materials)' when I try to make them cook, is there any reason this might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, I've confirmed the meat is not reserved, the bill definitely has meat enabled, the stove is fueled, my colonists are otherwise fine to haul for other tasks and they are qualified to make a simple meal and I've moved the meat so it is directly next to the stove. Still no luck.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Show a screenshot of the bill details please.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Diver's gone crazy from eating raw meat, some of the raw venison had since been given to my prisoner who I've now released so I now have all 40 units of venison again

Here's the venison:

highlighting the stove:

and the stove itself:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

AceClown posted:

Your stove is backwards, that circle is the crafting spot.

lmao fantastic

Thanks, that's a lesson well learnt

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, I've created a new colony with fully functioning stoves and seating, the layout is much lighter and the colony is functioning much more smoothly. I'm concerned by by slowly diminishing supplies. If worst came to worst how traumatised would my colonists be if I butchered by currently uncompliant prisoner?

For reference:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Update: My dudes have avoided starvation by slaughtering a pack of rampaging beavers and they have successful integrated their prisoner into colonist society. They are now producing a large food surplus though due to poor food bill construction they did produce a huge excess of simple meals that are now spoiling in the larder, which apparently isn't refrigerated despite coolers being built in there. Next up it looks like they're going to have to start a proper industrial base?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also they've tamed a squirrel and a buck self-tamed and now they're both wandering freely about the house

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, I'm bulk producing Pemmican throughout the day, though I'm still losing huge quantities of food to decay. I don't have electricity yet so freezers are not an option. I've also started building a separate dormitory building to house the colonists in spacious, isolated rooms.

Also, is there any way to manually place items? One of my dudes has had a mental break and he's currently starving to death in his room, how can I deliver some food to him?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I bodged it in the end by placing a high priority food-only storage zone in his room and delivering meals that way

Also, what the gently caress is up with hares? I left my expert hunter alone for a minute and she's unconscious and bleeding out for ten different hare wounds. I had to muster the entire colony armed with clubs and bows to save her.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RIP colony no. 6. Cause of death - killer ostriches

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Looks like we're in a bit of a pinch

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yikes! That had to be the end of that colony. The fire's gonna spread everywhere unless that last megasloth goes down in 1 hit... Lilith's definitely dead... and why the hell is Burban running away?

Also holy poo poo you've got a lot of corn.

Somehow they everyone survived with only the loss a Yorkshire Terrier who failed to evac to the back of the house in time.

After that screen I led the megasloth back into the lounge and deployed the three huskies I'd been holding back from the initial fight, Keegs then had time to run back into the armoury and brush the fire off Lilith. The huskies killed one of the surviving megasloths and fire took the other (offscreen). Dowsing the fires in the aftermath was touch and go for a minute, but a rainy thunderstorm ended up putting out the spreading exterior fires whilst my two surviving conscious pawns dealt with the interior fires. In the post-battle cleanup everyone ended up being safely rescued with the worst injury being a severed leg.

I'm just amazed using the incendiary launcher inside my base actually worked, after my combat team went down in the lounge I thought that was GG for the colony. In the end the day was won by a pawn with a shooting skill of 1.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm currently paring back my comically oversized corn fields, I'll post with the updated base once the renovations are completed

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, currently rolling 19933 corn :grin:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is becoming concerning

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Things have taken a turn for the worse

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The colony of Fisherman's Township has died.

So, I knew the bugs would be a problem from a while back. I savescummed a few trial runs of burning them out but either the heat dissipated in their nest or the roof collapsed in the trap zones stopping the tunnels reaching critical temperature. As I had nowhere near the resources to build a killzone of the scale required to defend against an infestation of that size I set up a final all-wood trap zone lined with incendiary IEDs as a final failsafe against invasion - which nearly worked, but with the tunnels coming out onto a pond I was unable to reinforce the entrance strongly enough to stop the bugs escaping before the fire reached a critical state.

After it was clear the incendiary trap had failed the entire colony evacuated to the outer courtyard, the bugs started wrecking the base by destroying my power grid so most of the inner-wall killbox was inactive, though the geothermal powered turrets still managed to bag a few. The colonists fought well though and managed to kill about a quarter of the hive before they were overwhelmed. Also, a poison ship crash landed during the final stand, I've let the game run for a little while and this is the result:

A blighted, bug-ruled land

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Playing with Megafauna and Dinosauria installed atm and far worse than any dinosaur, Daeodons are goddamn terrors

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like to play a nice colony where I rehabilitate all my prisoners and build a big farm :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Leal posted:

So a Jedi then :v:

Not killing things was hardly the Jedi's problem

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TorakFade posted:

And that's not even the worst thing about that mod. Not by a long shot. I am frankly terrified that people actually have this poo poo installed on their computer.

This thread's favourite topics of discussion of are organ harvesting prisoners, off-site cannibal farms and punitive limb removals. Pot, kettle etc

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'll take murderers any day over these glitterworld divas that won't deign to move rocks.

The Hated Work Type mod makes this so much less aggravating, it's still absolutely unsustainable to have colonists do their hated work on even a medium term basis {as it should be) but when half your colony are hospitalised from a raid and [i]someone[/] needs to haul those harvested crops out of the rain before they rot its a godsend

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Danaru posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting vampires to bathe? Someone mentioned a similar problem earlier but it's driving me nuts

Do you have an ample supply of the blood of virgins?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ambaire posted:

None of the 'forests' in this game are actual forests. They're more like plains with scattered trees.

I wish we could get an actual forest biome.

Even the jungles don't have the tree density of a forest.

All the same, a temperate coastal climate hitting 50 degrees every year and not once in every five hundred is pretty jank

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Are they a prosthetophobe? Are you playing a version with the Body Purist trait? No? no issues there.

E: Oh, apparently in 1.0 anyone who doesn't have Transhumanist (the new prosthetophile) trait gets a small penalty for each and every bionic they have. Culminating in like a -30 for too much. IIRC the though on the panel is transhuman horror.

Good. If you turn your pawn into Gunter Herman you pay the price.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Danaru posted:

The whole "changing your body destroys your soul maaaaan" feels like an incredibly obsolete trope that only really works for games like Shadowrun where it works thematically because spirits and magic exist in universe too and are tied to your literal soul. It doesn't work thematically for Rimworld at all, and it absolutely didn't need to be 'balanced' this way

As an atheist I see no problem with carving my my body for minor stat gains and furthermore

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll never forget the first time one of pawns survived a critical head injury and I couldn't figure out why they still weren't moving after recovery before I realised the 'brain scar' was actual brain scarring and the game was systemising traumatic brain damage

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I had the exact same thing happen. I had a guy get zipped in the brain by a Centipede's shock lance. I thought it was a normal downing until I realized he was just laying there with no struggling or exclamation mark while still being alive. Which is a condition that remained even after he was fully healed.

He had a psychite addiction from yayo use (I was administering it manually to prevent breaks in emergencies and he was the one colonist who rolled the dice wrong) and the consciousness loss from withdrawal was enough to kill him. So for a little while I had to have someone feed him psychite tea to keep him alive until I had a Cryptosleep casket ready - I had to research it so it took some time.

Once I got enough Luciferium to have a good buffer I let him detox since the Luciferium's consciousness boost was enough to counteract the withdrawal's penalty. He managed to lose the addiction before the brain injury healed. He was back in action for the last few big fights before the ship finished powering up.

He survived and made it off planet but didn't bring a stockpile of Luciferium with him so I hope the ship ended up somewhere with a good supply :ohdear:

I think this is the premise of a horror film

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just like to make nice little farm colonies :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tynan strikes me as a soft libertarian free speech gamer guy at the very least, we just have to tolerate him because he made one of the finest sandbox games of all time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The game is whatever you make of it. Obviously immortality drugs and super mechs break the original balance of the game, but they create a novel experience in its place, I just wouldn't use them unless you want a mad science power fantasy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Never suffer a pyromaniac to live

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How would you best go about clearing a large bug infestation out of an open roofed cave? Freezing and indirect heat are both out because the temperatures are normalised by the holes in the ceiling and the horde is too large to take on in an open fight even with favourable terrain.

I'd like to build an IED firebox but I've not acquired a single incendiary shell is this run and the nest is close enough to my base that building it would probably get the builders killed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Colony update: Better Infestations and Vanilla Factions: Insectoids was a perilous combination

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I didn't even get a chance, the I tried to wall in the bugs at the start to buy time to construct the firebox but the Queen was super aggressive in expanding and chewed through it nearly immediately and started patroling the construction site, I managed to ambush and kill her but then the colony launched a full scale attack a few minutes later. My entire colony was torn to shreds

I guess this is my punishment for strip mining an entire mountain without doing the slightest bit of preparation for the inevitable bug war :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've had the game running with my extinct colony for the last hour and these mod bugs have just exponentially expanded mode across the entire map. Already about 15 seperate hives and queens through the entire area and they're rapidly driving everything else in the region extinct, the new scripting on them is horrific.

Also I've just noticed insect jelly is people??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

What's the best mod to fix Tynan's dopey assumptions about sexuality? Or is it fixed in the base game these days?

Psychology, don't play a game without it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Insect jelly is made of any viable food matter, bugs carry raw food and corpses to hives to make jelly.

I found Better Infestations to be buggy(hah) and generally unpleasant, the no-prompts arrival of multiple bugs and hives on map edges or double spawns on regular infestations doesn't add much to the game. I've also not seen the hunting/defense split work. All that and the Queen just make infestations extra punishing if not immediately obliterated on spawn.

I didn't experience any notable bugs(!) and the offence/defence thing seemed to be working as intended but yeah I don't know if I'd play with it again, the way they just moved in and steamrolled me was ruthless which was a novel experience but also a 12 hour colony down the pan because of one lapse of foresight

That said, watching the bugs just go full Zerg mode across the entire region was pretty cool, by the time I finished running it there wasn't a single non-bug creature left on the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Synnr posted:

Yeah I just wanted to see how it looked to find abandoned colonies but I guess it's not a thing. You could explore your own abandoned forts in DF and such.

I'm running a mod Real Ruins which adds in ruined versions of buildings from other people's games, though usually not whole complexes. But it's still pretty cool and occasionally very useful, basically this game's version of Dark Souls ghosts with bonus loot scavenging on top