Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I could use some critiques on my idiot noob first time base:

From left to right is crop fields and wind turbines, then freezer with branching kitchen and dining/rec room, then storage and dormitories (using bottom row as prison cells/hospital rooms for now), then workshop.

I have a sloppy breastwork of wooden walls and sandbags placed in front of the paths where past attacks have approached, but other than that I'm clueless. I'm also not very happy with my freezer's layout and having issues with keeping it consistently at freezing temperatures.

EDIT: Also have a geothermal on the right blocked out for future energy usage.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Coolguye posted:

what issues are you experiencing? what would you like to change?

Just seeing if there's anything egregious that more experienced players could point out.

For instance, would the top row layout of one cooler for a shared block of 3 vented rooms be sufficient?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Should I put in flooring for my food and storage areas so my pawns track in less dirt? Does carpeting achieve this or would I need stone/wood flooring?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What terrain and features do you guys like looking for when choosing a landing site for your colony?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Blight is such a tedious mechanic in this game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Just an FYI, the burnt wooden floor trick to slow down enemies has been nerfed. Now it just gives a 97% move rate.

Still might be worth using to stop trees from sprouting in kill zones.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
https://ludeon.com/blog/2018/10/rimworld-1-0-will-be-released-october-17/

Real version of 1.0 scheduled for October 17.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I sent out a two-man caravan and a dromedary to rescue a downed settler. They pick up up the guy but also come down with mechanite infections on the way back which slows them down to a crawl and has them mentally breaking every other day. Only one guy made it back after the food ran out.

So is there a way heal up guys on a caravan? Also, do you guys armor up caravans or does the movement penalty not make it worth it?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Are the health monitors at the feet of my hospital beds blocking off the television's effective zone here?

EDIT: Just figured I should move the monitors to the monitors to the head of the bed instead just to be safe.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 27, 2018

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I had a base that was nestled in what I thought was an enclosed, U-shaped mountain range. Some tunneling into the mountain however revealed an unexpected hidden pocket of land that later provided a route for raiders to come in from the map's edge.

My question is, if I hadn't uncovered that hidden pocket, would the fog of war have prevented enemies from spawning or would they have come through that way regardless?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuxF3pFwTpk

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Rim of Madness/Call of Cthulu mod question:

Is it a foregone conclusion that The Agency eventually discovers your cult? I'm also playing with the Hospitality mod and I'm wondering if I should disable it so visitors don't stumble into my altar and forbidden knowledge research table.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Research speed will get a bonus from sterile floors too.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
How's the prisoner labor mod?

Incidentally, does anyone know if having prisoners adds to the wealth calculations for raids like it does for colonists?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One of my colonists got her brain scrambled by a stray machine gun round in a raid, leaving her with permanently lowered consciousness. She also stopped being able to do normal recreational activities like chess, poker, etc. The only way to boost her recreation/mood seems to be drugs, but I have to watch out because like one smokeleaf reefer renders her completely unconscious.

Now she walks around buzzed on a daily regime of psychite tea but it doesn't stop her from being the best miner in the colony.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I did some testing like setting her schedule to only recreation for all 24 hours and putting in chessboard in her room but she doesn't seem to want to use it.

I just installed the expanded surgery mod and happen to have a spare AI core so it looks like I have a good candidate for some brain surgery at least.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The bone component is definitely very over powered. After doing all the bone refining research, you can start turning bones into bonecrete and ash that's inflammable and has more durability and beauty that most other materials. Oh, and can also be transformed into plasteel.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been having a lot of fun with my current base:

I'm using a light-weight version of the Call of Cthulu mod set with just the base mod and bones add-on. I left my storyteller on Randy Medium since the HP Lovecraft storyteller included in CoC seems to force on all events, even when I disable certain ones in the scenario editor such as "Mist from Beyond" (think of a shittier version of toxic fallout, except it drives everyone catatonic if outside for a few hours). It works out fine because you can still get all the CoC events and new creatures on Randy.

I also used the scenario editor to give everyone the Psychopath and Cannibal traits so now most people I get from raids, rescues, joining events are sacrificed to the dark gods, and their skin, flesh, and bones turned into furniture, clothing, and meals.

Also, there was a suggestion on reddit to combine the barracks, rec room, and dining hall into one giant room so that all of their modifiers are compounded, which I found works out pretty well (note that there aren't any doors in between the partition walls so that the game reads it as one room):

The disturbed sleep malus that I get from Night Owls and people resting at staggered times is easily offset by all the bonuses I get from the structure. I guess it's kind of game-y but I'm appreciating not having to hew individual rooms out of my mountain for this run.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you can cover all those beds with like 2 dressers. Also put a nightstand or whatever they're called between every third bed eg

OxOOxOOxOOxO is the ideal setup for beds along the wall, though if you don't want to rearrange

OxO OxO OxO OxO will give you 100% coverage as well

Thanks, I actually had dressers and nightstands in there originally in a less efficient layout than yours but scrapped them for materials. This is about 4 years into the run so those beds are at masterwork quality which maxes out comfort meter on its own. My plan is just to fill the gaps with more statues, but it's just for looks and overkill since the room already reads as unbelievably impressive by the room meter.

TorakFade posted:

Holy moly. Why can't I ever design a base this good-looking? I always get a mishmash of different materials, room sizes etc starting out, and I never have the time/resources/willingness to just tear down and rebuild in a proper way, so I end up having a horrible looking and horribly unoptimized Frankenbase with some bedrooms (the early ones) that are barely livable and some (the later ones) that are extremely luxurious, a tiny dining room, sandbags all over the place, pawns having to walk 5 miles to get a beer and so on :v:

Besides the aforementioned replace and planning color mods, I found it a lot easier to first plan a base around the items that project an effective zone such as the sun lamps, trade beacon, and altar from the CoC mod. The other rooms are then built following those dimensions. I like 3-tile wide hallways because it lets me do the melee stackup chokepoint at entrances should my main defenses become breached or raiders airdrop into my courtyard.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

jokes posted:

What are these blue things that are holding food, they look like ice? It'd be nice to not have everyone need to go into my massive freezer to get their food.

That's from the excellent Rim Fridges mod. I'm also using the Stack XXL mod for increased stack size.

A nice thing about having the sleeping area next to the dining area, with fridges and food in it, is that I hardly see the "Ate without table" debuff any more.

I also use the quad fridges for my kitchen and have my cooking bills setup like this:

With the fridges immediately adjacent to the cooking area, the ingredient radius set to minimum, and orders to drop on the floor, my cooks can just crank out meals without going back and forth to my food locker. I tried this with the smaller 2x1 fridges but ran into the issue of fine meals sometimes not being produced because both fridge slots would be occupied by leftover pieces of rarer meat, but less than the 5 required meats to make a fine meal, so I would have to manually set the ingredient radius to unlimited to clear it. With the quad fridges, I no longer have to worry about that clog up and the process is pretty much automatic. I'll sometimes forbid access to the kitchen door if I don't want my haulers constantly topping off the fridges or piecemeal hauling small batches of meals to the dining room one at a time, but even that isn't a big issue to me at this point.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You want to make sure that your launchers are connected to each other and that your items and people are in the same launch group.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You can also plop down a deep drill and when it's done extracting the resources below, it will start generating infinite granite chunks (as well as bug infestations). I have a secured room set up for this in my base for my miner who had nothing else to do, he produces plenty of materials for bricks and kibble now.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
When in doubt, always put added efforts into defenses to keep up with raid strength that increases with wealth. Sounds like you're in the right spot to put up some turrets and the supporting power infrastructure. Switching from wood to stone walls for your structures is a good idea too.

An actual hospital with sterile floors to start with would also be a good investment for colonist recovery.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What are you're go to tactics for sappers? I think the best I have found is a minefield

Here's my current mountain base after a couple of years:

I built out my walls to the point where sappers consistently only tunnel through the path marked in red to avoid my defenses. This is fine with me because I built a sally port door from which I can launch rockets at them from cover. My first level of minefield and collapsing roof defenses does a good job of softening them up.

If they're preparing for an assault, I'll hit them with mortars or call in military aid from allied factions (make sure they're far enough to engage away from your defenses or you'll lose a lot of relation if they get caught in your crossfire).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Mzbundifund posted:

Pro(?) tip: Once you convert your kitchen to sterile floor, use an animal bed instead of a chair in front of your cookstove. Your chef can still cook in comfort and in an emergency your kitchen can double as a hospital for cats

The blood and dirt from turning your kitchen into an ersatz veterinary clinic doesn't seem like a good idea. If you're going to make a sterile environment pull double duty like that, might as well make it the research area. That way you just get a mood hit for your researcher rather than risk food poisoning.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just keep the base Cults mod and ditched the rest of the mod pack and haven't looked back.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

DeathSandwich posted:

Is there a way to keep grazing animals from eating all my cooked meals? In my most recent colony I had a couple of boomalope self-tame in the first month and start giving me a steady supply of chemfuel, but even sequestering their stables away with plenty of fodder/kibble to eat right next to their beds, they'd still wake up, wander to my freezer, and eat my colonists meals. Mods maybe?

Create a zone for your stable and then assign your animals to that stable zone.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any benefit to using smokeleaf blunts as a social drug instead of psychite tea or beer?

Just to have a variety so they can cycle different drugs without getting addicted. The consciousness hit makes it bad for work so set the thresholds lower for snokeleaf.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
New patch notes mention you can now choose the materials to build monuments out of, except for flooring, but also there's now a fifteen day cool down where you can no longer immediately tear it down without faction standing/colonist noble mood loss.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I got my colonists to a stage where they're mostly cyborged up. Fun thing I just learned is that some of the new bionics such as the brain implants now interact with EMP and can get knocked out as a result. RIP to the cyborgs who assaulted a mechanoid cluster while being shelled by EMP mortars.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't managed to get any long range weapons or mortars yet. I tried luring a raid into them but they just shredded the raid and now I have an awake pile of mechanoids sitting there :/

Build and equip some smoke launchers. Select a pikeman since they have the furthest range and note their range by hovering over their weapon. Have your guys with smoke launchers prefire clouds of covering smoke to get your sniper with your best ranged weapon (probably a bolt action rifle) into position. Aggro them and then pull around a blind corner or hopefully back to your base if it's not far, and try to beat them down with high pen melee weapons since there doesn't sound like there are any scythers with them.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

SexyBlindfold posted:

🤔 what's y'all's standard setup for your kitchen/dining room/ main living area, specially during the early game?

This is my last mountain base layout that I've been iterating upon since launch:

Early game, I start out in planning mode with the 15 x 15 area that will eventually be my "finished goods/trade beacon" warehouse and turn that into a mini-base until I get more colonists. Then I start mining out to the north and build an actual barracks/entertainment room/dining hall (it's more efficient if you don't have doors in between these areas because they then share the same wealth/size/beauty stats but still act like discrete rooms and contribute their own impressiveness moodlet). When I start getting noble colonists who demand their own bedrooms, I build out individual rooms to the west and leave the barracks for guests for the Hospitality mod.

The only thing I'd do differently here is swap the location of my freezer and the cooking/research area just to minimize tracking of filth into the sterile area. I'd also make the throne room area a lot smaller, but this was before the update that allowed multiple thrones to be in one throne room and I had already hewn it out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I use Mend And Recycle. It gives the tailoring bench a recycling clothes job and also a mending workbench which can repair durability on stuff.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I believe centipedes still yield an amount of plasteel.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

showbiz_liz posted:

Also - I want to start making killboxes, which I've never bothered with before, but I don't understand some of the basic principles. Don't you need an entrance/exit from the colony that your colonists and allies can use? So why don't the raiders just use that entrance instead of your killbox entrance?

Actually if there's a primer or video on basic Rimworld security beyond "recruit every colonist and hurl them at the threat" I would love to see it. My entrance to PC gaming was Stardew Valley, I am really not good at combat in general.

This is my latest mountain base layout:

For my first level of defense, I have a single wooden pillar holding up the maximum amount of roof space it can support (6 spaces all around) with explosive IEDs at the base and incendiary IEDs scattered about. Raiders who hit the incendiary traps are set on fire and have a chance of triggering the explosive IED, which in turn collapses the pillar and the roof on top of their heads for extra damage.

The next level is a zig-zagging tunnel filled with spike traps and sandbags to slow and injure enemies. Wood for spike traps is okay for early enemies, you might want to upgrade to steel for the extra penetration once facing tougher enemies and you can source steel easily. You'll also notice I have wooden doorways that allow my colonists to easily path outside of the base or rearm defenses. This alternate path is also great because it lets you safely sneak your melee fighters for flanks against slow, dangerous enemies who are weaker to zeushammer melee weapons like centipedes, for instance. I make these out of wood because they'll often be destroyed by routed enemies who'll try to take the most direct path away from you while retreating, including breaking down doors (if you're fine with having to replace components you can always make autodoors for faster opening and closing). The doors are also a weak point for sappers to get through but that's a bit by design which I'll get into later.

The trap tunnel then leads to my main courtyard's kill box area. I have the sandbags set up like that at the entrance so that enemies don't have any cover or angle to sit back and shoot from and are forced to move forwards. I have my back line of colonists with weapons able to reach the entrance, with the mini turrets causing distraction, incendiary IEDs triggering panic and and creating restrictive zones, and higher tier turrets in the back to punch through centipedes and the like. Note that I have my turrets and colonist frontlines protected by modded embrasures, but you could use barricades or sandbags with alternating walls if you're playing vanilla. I have my melee colonists sitting near the open gaps of the back line to deal with the rare enemies who can reach that far.

One thing that I've anecdotally noticed while playing with this setup is that the game kind of takes into account if you have a perfectly sealed or closed off base and seems to send more sappers to deal accordingly with that kind of defense. I noticed that if you leave somewhat of a direct path open for raiders to possibly reach your colonists, sappers are less likely to tunnel through the unguarded sides of your base. My sappers in this setup tend to just knock down the wooden doors of my trap tunnel and get handled by my killbox like normal.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

showbiz_liz posted:

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense!

I've never bothered before because usually I just make a nice functional colony and then abandon it once it's chugging along. But this most recent run, I've racked up over 50,000 silver from a combination of chinchilla farming and art farming, so suddenly the raids are much more intense than I was prepared for.

Yeah it's always good to keep defenses up with your level of wealth.

Incidentally, bionics are an extremely good bang for your buck conversion of that money. It used to be that installing bionics would raise the value of your colonists, making raids even more brutal after installing a whole suite of bionic upgrades into all of your colonists. A recent update changed it so that is no longer the case, though I believe some of the more esoteric organ replacements will still raise colonist wealth. Bionic eyes, legs, and arms definitely do not increase wealth and I try to minimally install a set for each colonist. The increased sight, manipulation, and movement helps them become more productive while also improving their combat effectiveness.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I chip away and weaken some walls and then daisy chain some explosive IEDs in the hopes that a raid will trip them and awaken the ancient danger, but this has happened exactly once for me.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It does show up again. I let that quest expire several times for a couple of seasons and would periodically get the popup. I feel like you could probably use this strategically to call in some free royal help during a raid event or whatever.

Eltoasto, you could always make a standard meditation throne out of wood or something if you just want to get the rank and psypower going.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been trying the new Smarter Construction mod lately and it's a godsend. Does as the description states, no more having to micromanage so that pawns don't trap themselves into walls. Along with Replace Stuff, it's been the biggest quality of life improvement for construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It looks like they may have gotten rid of the roof trap trick. For those that don't know the trick, you build a single column that supports a 6-tile radius roof, then place IEDs at the base so that when enemies trigger it, the column is destroyed and the roof collapses on top of their heads for added damage.

I tried it on my current base and now the roof just seems to disappear when the column gets destroyed. I tested this by having a pawn rebuild the column and roof, then deconstruct it, and the whole roof just disappeared again without the pawn taking damage.

Strangely enough, natural mountain ceiling will still collapse on you if you carve away supporting walls, and I believe I had constructed roof tops still collapse when a supporting wall was destroyed. Not sure how the parameters have changed to exclude roof traps.