Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

i have confused myself can someone explain if a guy with bionic arms swings a sword harder or faster or what? how does the manipulation stat work? does it help shooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Tattered clothes debuff is a constant pain in my butt. I usually have someone cremating anything under 80% and all awful and poor clothes and set my tailor bills so that there's always at least one of each type of clothes. This leaves one change of clothes at or near 100% and oat least good quality but my guys still wear trashed junk and complain about it. They'll change out of a 98% hat to put on a new 100% hat but they won't change out of their 48% pants. What am I missing?

fake edit: I'm gonna hard disallow anything under 50% condition and see if that works, maybe i'm a dummy.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Update: everyone is nude and cold. I'm trying to run my crops on a self-sufficient corn -> biofuel pipeline based on the chat from a few pages back and I'm having trouble finding the balancing point for how much of the grow zones I need to feed my colony and run the greenhouses so it's been slow getting population going. Maybe a permanent winter tundra was not a great place to test this out...

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Shyrka posted:

edit: also shout out to the body purist/tortured artist colonist with a cochlear implant who was constantly pinging me with minor break risk alerts until I chopped her ear off.

That's the good stuff.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Xenix posted:

No way i could keep a maps worth of trees alive with sun lamps. If i did it again, I'd have harvested all the viable trees when the long night started. While it said it could last years, I didn't know that I'd run out of wood so quickly and I didn't realize that the trees would die off, rather than just stop growing.

How do you deal with infestations happening with underground bases? I keep wanting to do it, but infestations are really obnoxious.

lol i stopped building underground, my latest try i decided to do underground stuff after seeing some layouts and reading this thread, but i turned off the event in the scenario editor. you can also remove overhead mountain with the remove roof tool in developer mode, but there's some benefits to having that so it might not be what you want.

back like two years ago, i built probable infestation areas to be fireproof and would just bomb em with incendiary launchers and wait, trying to manage the heat by opening doors for ventilation to the outside. when the threat was subdued, i'd run a guy in with a firepopper, let the temp settle down, and clean up.

fake edit: freezing sounds smarter/simpler. how does that work?
edit: this has already been answered, nvm

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Is there a way to keep animals out but let bad guys through? I have a traps maze set up which has helped a lot with raids, but animals keep tripping them and i'm running out of resources to replace the traps! I read somewhere that raiders would prefer the weakest section so i tried putting a wooden door in but they don't care about that, and I thought wildlife would not pass through doors even if they were open but that is also wrong.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

How in the world are smoke shells useful?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Mountain base people, how do you deal with a sapper raid that completely opens up your mountain base? Should i just roll with it, widen the tunnel and put in traps? or maybe fill it in with walls? I'm definitely seeing that putting this colony on a tile with a river is a detriment since there's access from two directions to tunnel in from.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Generally if a sapper raid drills into the colony that sort of indicates that you could do with an entrance at that location anyway, because presumably you were unable, for whatever reason, to reach the sappers before they broke through, this is solved by adding more access points. But you can also just block it up if you want to. Generally I would suggest that your mountain base would benefit from multiple entrances because it allows you to access different parts of the outside more easily.

Rivers aren't necessarily a problem for mountain bases as you can bridge over them and turn them into an extremely good killbox with the enemy being severely hampered if they enter through the river.

Good point about not getting there in time. I was thinking about building access to a bridge-based killbox for the river spawn point, so that's probably something to do sooner than later. Gives me a project for tonight, thanks!

edit:

Danaru posted:

Full disclosure I installed a mod that disables sappers :frog: I know its cheating but I play this game to chill, and busting up my mountain is extremely un-chill
whoa.
agreed about chill, i'll probably disable it in the future.

Frances Nurples fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 21, 2021

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Is Hospitality compatible with dub's hygiene now? I remember some err unfortunate situations occurring a few years back because I couldn't assign toilets for the guests to use.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I'm running vanilla, and I've had this happen. Sometimes they don't want to go to the entrance of my traps maze and just pick random portions of the wall to smash through, each raider on a different chunk of wall. I made sure there's a few layers with traps in there, so it works pretty well even when they do this, since they'll re-path once they break the wall. It's a pain in the butt rebuilding after those, though.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

cannibal and psychopath are low key some of the best traits in the game and i don't know how i feel about that

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Unmodded deep drilling is super not worth it as a source of steel, huh? 300 steel buried under a mountain is only barely enough to break even and takes around a season of pawn labor to pull it out of the ground. How do I get late game steel?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Is there any way to use steam workshop mods without being online via steam?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

Go to your steam folder and find steamlibrary/steamapps/workshop/content/431960. copy those files to /steamapps/common/Rimworld/Mods

This should even keep your load order active.

Thanks! Was in a slightly different location but i was able to find it.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

RimPy does indeed own bones, thanks yall for the suggestion

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Sweet heck insulting sprees are a menace. Is there a good way to deal with them? Right now I just have some untrained melee guys beat that person unconscious before they give several people a stacking debuff and start a break cycle.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was my first suspicion, too. I disabled all mods, it still happened. There were no obviously Rimworld or Unity processes running after I exited. Furthermore, I can verify that the behavior does not happen when I run Rimworld, without mods, outside Steam. Ludeon says "Steam problem"; I'm in contact with Steam support.

It's a long way to go for a workaround but you might try launching with RimPy : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847679158 The download link for the launcher is a little down the page.

It solved my problems and has a pretty good mod manager built in so you're not dependent on the always-on connection to the workshop, too.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Holy poo poo you can rearrange your colonists by right dragging? :psyduck:

holy poo poo. I have an embarassing number of hours in this game and did not know this.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

My tribal colony just hit a Long Night event :ohdear:
They don't even have electricity.

Edit: I'm also running semi random research so rather than cheesing it by e.g. building seven research benches and rushing electricity, I'm just gonna ride it.

Frances Nurples fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 13, 2021

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Long night update: It's day 34, and nearly all the livestock I depended on are dead, including a small army of elephants, leaving me one deaf, asthmatic camel. A boomalope starved to death in the barn before I could feed her, causing a chain explosion and massive fire. :( No colonist deaths so far, but we're down several limbs and organs. There is a mechanoid cluster in the south of the map that I have no hope of defeating any time soon. Predators on the map are getting desperate.

A trader came by and sold us a small amount, along with some finished clothes. Another trader came along and sold us a fridge and a green lamp, which I connected to a small vanometric I got from a quest reward. It's been a lifesaver. With a way to store meat, protection from the elements, and a lighted workspace that doesn't require wood, things are looking up!

I have a question though. With low manpower (8 pawns, ~2 down at any given time due to health/morale), should i destroy stockpiles and unused buildings to reduce the severity of raids? I can rebuild storage sheds and grow more cloth, etc. but I can't replace my max level psycasters with high skills nearly as easily. How does that work?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Made it through a year and a half long Long Night event, used smoke pops to approach and kill one mech cluster, baited a raid into another. Survived countless raids and animal attacks. The sun came out and I breathed an honest sigh of relief and started sowing fields. ~6 days later, an Ice Age event pops, dropping temps from 110-140 to sub zero in a matter of days. 6 days into the ice age, i get a cold snap. :psyduck:

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

What's the hot mods for medics? I'd like to have a dude carry some medicine or something when I have to patch folks up away from base. Right now I'm slapping down some sleeping spots, designating them as medical, and changing the patient's allowed level of medical care to doctor but no medicine. It saves lives, but I'd like to take some of the micro out of it if possible. I swear this thread talked about some medic mods a while back but I couldn't find it in search.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Taters are a little better in bad soil in terms of nutrition per day, but rice is still faster and corn takes less labor.

Fake edit: beaten, and seconding that corn is king in vanilla. rice is good when you need food now, but it has huge labor and space requirements so it's not sustainable once you're stabilized.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Doomykins posted:

I grow a wide variety of crops because imagining my colonists eating the exact same thing everyday makes me sad.

Same. I wish this was a thing that mattered, similar to how having diverse food sources improves settler health in Banished.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I like letting siege raiders do their thing and build for a bit while i sit just outside of aggro range. You don't have to be able to build mortars to use mortars!

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

As an aside, night owls feel loving great for productivity even if they don't actually contribute more on paper.

How do you manage them? Night owls have been a soft 'no' for me for a while since they have a mood debuff if they wake up any time in the daytime. I was scheduling them for ~12 hours of sleep to prevent this, which doesn't seem ideal.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I dont' remember dub's bad hygiene being this rough. just non-stop diarrhea water.

edit: lol this post was supposed to be "thanks for the night owl info" but like 4 guys got diarrhea by the time i was typing and my brain slipped. thanks for the night owl info, though!

Frances Nurples fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 19, 2021

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

rule of thumb should be: zones should be convex. if they're not convex theyre not gonna work

What hat do you mean by convex here?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My struggling colony just got hit by another sapper raid. I need to call in the Empire for help. However, I haven't researched the communications console. Am I just doomed?

Maybe! I dunno how struggling you are, but off the top of my head some last-ditch things i've tried with some success: You could try running away and leaving some valuables unguarded, they may just take things and leave. If you set up a good ambush and get lucky you might get them to retreat after only killing a few of them from a protected position. If you have anything that starts fires that can disrupt raiders enough to turn the tide. zoning all your animals on top of them might at least mean they're hurt/bleeding/slowed when they get to you.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Carcer posted:

I wish repairing was on a seperate work priority. I suffered a mechanoid attack and large siege back to back and a lot of my walls/turrets are damaged, but I can't hasten repairs except to force each task one by one.

this mod will let you do just that: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725219116. you can raise the priority of repairing structures to one tick above the rest of the construction category, among other things.

or you could try forbidding any ongoing construction and raise the priority of the construction task, that should do it.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I have found that mods in general seem to sort of.. stick around somehow in the game.

Also is it definitely android tiers or is it some other mod maybe referencing android tiers content?

I don't have an explanation for it, but I've experienced similar and it's definitely A Thing. When I was setting up RimPy (which i wholly recommend as a mod manager/launcher btw) I migrated my mods folder from the steam workshop folder to the one in the rimworld directory. I found a bunch of old mods I'd unsubscribed from years ago in there that RimPy detected as active, out of date mods. Even ones that I'd downloaded new versions of. So the workshop definitely does a bad job of cleaning up after itself but I don't know if that's the problem.:shrug:

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

So much diarrhea. Endless, society altering diarrhea.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Could you explain fallback points?

Matryoshka killboxes.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Sometimes when I have food storage issues I set up a meat only bill for meals and make it a higher priority. That makes sure at least some of it gets used before it rots.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

hot weather seems really easy compared to what i remember, are passive coolers just way better now?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Detail of the medical/prisoner zones, and also Dead Guy Storage and Removal. It's very close to the medical/prisoner zones to reduce the amount of time colonists have to drag corpses around, and the room is roofless so the bodies decay. Once they do, the crematorium is set to burn any rotten corpse that's either an animal or a stranger.

Look at this elegant and considered approach to corpse removal. Lately i've just been building a 6x6 double-walled building and putting corpses in there. When it's full i chuck a few molotovs and lock the door while the problem solves itself.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Speaking of recycling biocoded weapons, does anybody know a way to smelt biocoded weapons but not ones bicoded to my own guys?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

How did you get that full map picture?