Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What a miserable sack of poo poo this guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hilarious if true. Compare that to Prison Architect, where all the "locked up for l33t haxxor" backer snowflakes end up getting stabbed over a pack of cigarretes

Which is why the best backer backgrounds (like mine) are written vaguely so that they fit any crime they happen to end up in your prison for. :ssh:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why the gently caress is this room 17 degrees Celsius? The surrounding hallway is like 22. The cooler is pointed blue-end into the room with the controls set to -10 degrees Celsius. I had no problem setting up a freezer in my last colony. What the fuuuuck.

This is the only way to get it to freeze. Why is one cooler unable to handle this small room, but on my other colony, this one is perfectly sufficient?

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 16, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

John Charity Spring posted:

Is it the 4 torches providing heat?

:suicide:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Matrim posted:

It's also that you're using wood walls - wood walls insulate very poorly.

I read somewhere that people had done tests and the walls don't matter. But it may have changed.

Also, four members of a trading group waded into a firefight between my people and some raiders, and they all died. I buried them, but now the trading group is extremely hostile to me. How do I say I'm sorry?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh nice, that faction raided me while my base was surrounded by manhunting wargs. I just captured the survivors, nursed them back to health, and released them, and that improved relations. Sweet.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

How do you guys deal with the mood hit from harvesting organs? I just took them to replace on my colonists, not even to sell, and everybody's sulking.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anyone else feel like being raided always ends up with your colonists being miserable from being exposed to death and dead bodies, making every raid feel like a punishment whether you win it or not? If so here is the mod for you: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746214419

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mzbundifund posted:

There's also a mod that removes the mood debuff that comes from literally stealing a living person's organs.

Mod authors are psychopaths.

That mod doesn't remove any debuffs, it just adds a short mood buff for killing an enemy in a hostile faction. When knights held castles under siege, did they, after repelling the last invader, immediately begin sulking about the lives lost and their blood-covered, body-strewn surroundings? No, they celebrated living another day.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jay Rust posted:

These aren't knights though, these are gourmet cooks and architects

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, these are survivors of a shipwreck that are forced to kill, not blood knights. It's like your grandmother parading around with a head on a spike just because she was stranded somewhere

Uh, most people fighting in medieval wars were just normal people and tenants who signed up/were pressured into fighting, not trained killers. You still get an adrenaline rush from combat and it feels good to defend your home.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Panfilo posted:

Man, god help you if you ever get stranded on a planet with a bunch of goons....Have fun dying horribly of Malaria while the only ambulatory neckbeards are too busy LARPing to give you medicine, and too retarded to yank corn cobs off the plants.

I can't help but think the dev made fun of kickstarter people in general; there are wayyyyy too many 'idea guys' you end up rolling that have great combat skills and art but in an overall survival situation over 5 years are completely useless.

They made fun of themselves.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bunleigh posted:

Is there a way to mark a specific item to throw in the cremator? Like I say I want to burn this one jacket that's at 10% without burning every other jacket like it. Should be something you can just do with a right click.

Change the bill to only accept items that are at 10% condition or less.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mzbundifund posted:

You can also give pacifists a power shield and your strongest armor and have them run around in front of the enemy, distracting them while the other colonists fill them with lead.

This is extremely effective, especially because they are protected from friendly fire. Do this.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gut worms definitely go away if you keep treating them. I've never replaced a stomach.

Infections can be handled like so: Treat them as often as possible, as quickly as possible. Each treatment will raise the immunity level depending on the quality (which goes up with better medicine and better doctors). Keep them bedridden until the infection goes away, the immunity level goes up 110% faster in beds (114% in a medical bed). You also want to treat wounds before they get infected. Prioritize prompt medical care. Once they develop an immunity the infection will rapidly disappear and they'll be fine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

It used to, it doesn't anymore. If they're schedule is set to work, no force on heaven or earth short of removing their drat legs will keep them in bed. A13 or thereabouts broke that. Now if they're set to work even "rest until healed" won't keep them in bed if their rest need is maxed out. The only thing even forbidding their doors accomplishes is preventing them from wandering off, but they won't stay in bed.

Here's why:

code:
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Anything)
                return (double)curLevel < 0.300000011920929 ? 8f : 0.0f;
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Work)
                return 0.0f;
            if (timeAssignmentDef == TimeAssignmentDefOf.Joy)
                return (double)curLevel < 0.300000011920929 ? 8f : 0.0f;
            if (timeAssignmentDef != TimeAssignmentDefOf.Sleep)
                throw new NotImplementedException();
            return (double)curLevel < 0.75 ? 8f : 0.0f;
If their schedule is set to Work, they will not rest. Period.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perestroika posted:

It appears that the generation of character connections can be just a little random at times. In my current run, I have a pair of sisters in my group, the second one joining in a few days after the initial crash. So far, so good. Except a few days later, the colony is attacked by their daughter. Their daughter, as in, both of them are listed as her mothers. That seems like a bit of an oversight. Or maybe lesbian incest babies are common in this future, I won't judge. :shrug:

The code is actually specifically written to allow this to happen at a 90% reduced rate. I suppose you could assume they adopted.

Zak2k12 posted:

I love this game.

I'm deeply offended at your lack of proper management in allowing your colonists to use precious steel to sculpt.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Here is a mod that adds new traits and thoughts to the game to spice up colonist variety/emergent storytelling: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=747313773

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LordAdakos posted:

I may be missing an obvious feature, but is there a way to see the recent events in log format?

One of my colonists died with "shredded torso / shredded arms / shredded head" and I don't know how that happened.

Sounds like something exploded next to them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bunleigh posted:

In my current game I had a 19-point researcher show up as a raider, I managed to recruit her and it's fairly OP.

Many of my pawns have 17-20 skill. I suspect that I have been too insistent on keeping them alive.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Baloogan posted:

any idea on when combat realism is ready for the new beta?
i need to make a crackhouse and i can't without sperging about ammo

Never. He quit: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9759.0

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Khisanth Magus posted:

Skyarkhangel took up development and updated it for A14, and hopefully will for A15 as well.

Oh, my bad, I don't use the mod and didn't see another forum thread on it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ToxicFrog posted:

- half my stockpile burning down due to a power conduit explosion

RT Fuses!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

South posted:

Whoever said "When Randy wants to kill you, he's going to kill you." Certainly was correct.

Playing Randy on challenging. My colony was going perfectly. My ship was almost complete, and every colonist had a personal shield, armor, and a charge rifle. Raids and Mechanoid's were no problem. Plenty of food and supplies. All I had left to do was get enough components and plasteel to finish the last few sections of my ship.

Finally an orbital trader showed up that had what I needed to finish my ship. As my main builder was grabbing the materials to finish up the ship, a "Zzzt" hit in my main stockpile area. No big deal, I draft my seven firefighters and send them into the stockpile to put out the fire before I lose too much stuff. That ended up being my downfall. As they were putting out the fire there was a large explosion that drops four of my guys and engulfs the room in flames. I frantically try to get my three remaining guys to grab my downed colonists and get them to safety. Suddenly three more explosions ring out completely destroying the room, all of my supplies, killing all seven firefighters, and most of that section of the base.

My three remaining pyromaniac colonists lose their poo poo as the main section of the base is engulfed in flames and burns to the ground. The walls were made of stone but the doors, furniture, and workstations were made of wood. One of my survivors goes berserk at the death of her husband, attacks one of the other survivors and incapacitates them. My colonies warg goes crazy since it's handler died in the explosion and attacks the aggroed colonist. The warg kills her but loses a leg in the process, she then turns on the incapacitated colonist and kills them too. Since she is injured she can't escape the flames and is incinerated.

My remaining colonist, a pacifist, cannot handle all of the death and destruction and snaps they begin wondering what's left of my colony discarding her clothes and equipment. As she is wondering around a raid comes from the south and easily breaks through my defenses since all the powerlines to that section(and only that section) of turrets have been burned. The Raiders down my colonist and carry her off. Thus ending one of my most successful games to that point.

I had to go back to a previous save to see what caused the explosions in my storage area. At the beginning of the game Randy had been very kind to me and had given me a couple of cargo drops of artillery shells, add to that all of the artillery shells I acquired from sieges that I destroyed and I had a stockpile of over 200 artillery shells in my storage area. The "Zzzt" occurred on the only power line underneath any of my artillery shells.The first shell exploded and caught the other four stacks of shells on fire which in turn all exploded at the same time.

Randy had been planning this from the start.

RT Fuses!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LLSix posted:

Does growing skill matter at all now? The last time I played low skill growers could fail to harvest crops but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

I'm pretty sure harvesting plants is the Cut plants job which has no associated skill. Growing skill only matters w/r/t what crops you're able to plant.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Geokinesis posted:

It'd be nice if some future update removed the stupid ship endgame and tynan just focused on the colony building.

The game needs an endgame, at least ATM, because your colonists get stupid overpowered and your colony ridiculously dug-in. At that point it's most satisfying to just finish the ship, give all your colonists a Good End, and move on to a new one.

Also, turns out Grow is split into Sow crops and Harvest crops, so Grow skill does in fact matter for harvesting and you can indeed fail to harvest.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So, Randy... you've come for me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PSA: If you set a bill to Euthanize a pet, then cancel it when the anaesthetic is applied, you can prioritize a bill to bring a pet to a cryptosleep casket at will.

With such a cool name, there's no way this big guy is getting left behind. :3:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

So you're saying I could have brought Slotra and Mechathrumbo off the planet with me? Time to load!

Yep! Edelweiss and Nathan were both bonded so I made extra caskets for them to come with. They even showed up on the end screen!

I wish they could have also taken some of the colonists' remains with them. It's a shame Maverick had to leave her husband behind in a sarcophagus on some distant rimworld. I think you should be able to build ship sarcophagi for cheap so that your dead colonists can come with, and they should show up on the end screen.

I at least delayed the launch to make sure that every colonist was in tip-top shape and had bionic replacements for everything they'd lost (which involved waiting a considerable time for a trader to come along with some gold so I could make vancidium for an AI chip for the pop idol who got brain damage from an assault rifle round to the head). It's not a true Good End unless everyone gets to come out of the caskets and be a productive, healthy member of society.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Croccers posted:

Mix these ones with the Hopstialty mod stuff.
Impress the friendly-able locals when they stay over enough to get called the Capital of your planet. Then when you have a comms console you start getting off-world visitors. Impress them enough and they'll declare you an actual Town/City/Whatever.

"gently caress you, I'm not building a space ship to get taken to a glitterworld. I'm building the glitterworld right here!"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

waitwhatno posted:

Has anyone tried hibernating during winter or fallout? I mean putting all colonists into cryocaskets until it's over.

That sounds incredibly boring. Even at 3x speed it would take like an hour in real time for it to pass.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LLSix posted:

How do you make impressive bedrooms? This jerk has a giant room with a nice double bed and 2 pieces of furniture and is still unhappy. The last time I got a greedy pawn I put half a dozen statues in their bedroom and they still weren't happy.

Put very valuable things in them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tindahbawx posted:

Does anyone happen to have a list of mods that are on a level with what the vanilla game provides, without going completely overpowered, or just wildly over the top in terms of available objects? (I can understand say 10 or so extra guns, but some of the gun packs of steam add a stupid array of personal weaponry, no doubt 90% of which I'll never use)

Last time I played Rimworld (Alpha 7 or 8 IIRC) I basically chucked everything into it including the kitchen sink, and it was all just a bit over the top, once I got past the first few raids nothing could touch me.

Is there any mods that provides extra varieties of enemies and/or other visitors?

Hospitality overhauls the visitation system, you should get it. Glitter Tech, Medieval Times, and Syndicate seem to be popular enemy mods.

Exodee posted:

That's in the base game, actually. Click on the little scroll icon in the bottom-right of the screen. It's just under the speed controls.

Can't believe this isn't enabled by default.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Panfilo posted:

I feel like in spite of things they try to do to balance it (bugs, ugly space), building underground complexes is still OP. Yeah it takes time to dig out the space, but on the flip side in the short term you can just use the rock for walls, and you often have plenty of room to expand.

Contrast this with having to build a large building/several outbuildings for your village and also defend it.

Just build a perimeter wall. Stonecutting is a pain (would be more viable if it didn't require research, how hard is it to chip stone?) but it's actually faster than mining.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm not an MLP fan by any means, but why make this thread the staging ground for your rant? Go post on /v/ or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nevermind, Apoplexy made sure to post in that mod's thread too:

Naturally, the neckbearded scum felt appropriately upbraided and apologized profusely, deleting his mod:

Oh wait, he called a 14-year-old a pedophile.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Internet Explorer posted:

Did they make peg legs a researchable tech or something? Have a dude with no leg, but under bills there is no option to install a peg leg like there used to be.

Are you running EPOE?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Randy has been a huge oval office to me the last few games. I won a game on Rough, so I tried going up to Challenge. It was going pretty well, despite him throwing a Siege at me in my first summer that shot one of my colonist's arms off. Then he threw another one at me in my first fall. Whatever, I've got a sniper rifle from the last one so I took care of it pretty handily. Then he raided me in the same season, but it was pretty piddly so I took care of it, fine. Then he spawned an infestation in the new bedroom that very winter, which downed everyone and my husky and grizzly bear. They all bled out, end of colony.

Cool, whatever, poo poo happens. Start a new game, good location, get stuff built up, got a freezer going, production online. Zzt! Randy decides to explode my battery, destroying everything except my barracks and freezer. Alright, fine, I'll just rebuild it, and the corn and healroot are coming in so everything's going well. Somebody's being chased by pirates? Go gently caress yourself. Oh hey, a wanderer joined immediately anyway, like a reward for not falling for Randy's trick. Except, whoops, it's fall now and time for a 7-person siege with sniper rifles, grenades, and SMGs! gently caress, I'll just do what I did the first time and wait for them to fall asleep to go attack them. Start shooting, down one, and then my colonists just refuse to hit the guy with the sniper rifle who's standing right there. One goes down as they're chased around by grenades, I send one of the other two to rescue them. The other one takes out the sniper and goes down. I send the second of the other two to pick up his rifle. He takes some shots, kills another raider. They're now assaulting my base. I make him rescue the other guy and run away, but he's being chased by a melee raider. I refit the prison into a medbay so the first colonist can put his injured down and run back out there. Too late, the guy went down. The raiders have decided to kidnap who they can and leave. He picks up the gun and fires at the guy running away with my colonist until the other two raiders down him. Everybody's dead, end of colony.

gently caress this, I'm done with Challenge, that's just retarded. Sieges in the first few seasons are loving stupid. What kind of raider band sends out a squad of guys with artillery support to shell the gently caress out of some collection of hovels in the middle of nowhere? We don't even have anything valuable. I'll go back down to Rough and turn on Permadeath. I spend 30 minutes rolling up good colonists, pick a spot and go. The map is poo poo and has nowhere good to set up defenses. I accidentally rolled my grower and my construction worker to the same pawn so he spends the first 3 days setting up defenses in the indefensible area I've chosen and nothing gets planted. Finally I get a barracks built. Guess what, a manhunter pack has arrived at your undefended base! It's a single boomalope. I recruit the person it attacks and kite them around while another pawn takes shots at it. It blows up and starts a huge fire my pawns can't deal with, which promptly burns down our barracks. gently caress it, this is a bust.

I'll just try out a new save on Rich Explorer since I haven't touched it before. Putting up turrets and starting with a charge rifle sounds nice. I roll a decent colonist and get started. It's a good map, I put up a wall, designate stockpiles and growing zones, set up a windmill and battery for later, and get a room finished. Zzt! Randy explodes my battery and windmill and starts a huge fire. With only one pawn she has no chance of putting it out, and I finally just disable firefighting so she can get some work done amidst the blaze. It burns a quarter of the map before it finally rains and puts a stop to it, but whatever, my colonist's house had a natural firebreak so it's unharmed. I'll just rebuild and carry on-- and my explorer gets the flu. Since she's still the only colonist (it's not even summer yet) she's hosed. End of colony.

gently caress you, Randy. Stop being a dick.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BRB pooping posted:

Jesus, just had a strange bug occur. Playing with some mods so i guess it is something that has to do with them. My future colonists are disappearing right when they get downed. It started with a prisoner that disappeared right as she got immune to her infection. I thought she had escaped but no damage could be seen. Now i fended of a raid, and as soon as the enemies got downed they disappeared.
The mods i am using is:

M&Co. MMS - A sonar for detecting mineraldeposits in mountains
Hospitality - A lot more interactions with visitors
Double population - Tweaked storytellers
Psychology - More personality quirks
RT Fuse

I am playing on a large map. Anyone got any problems with these? I am not getting any conflict messages

This is a potential Psychology bug. Make sure you are updated to the latest version and turn on the dev console to see if it happens again. I have not had it happen with the latest version of Psychology though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Zzzts and blight suck but flat out disabling them is a mistake imo. They are in the game to stop you from getting complacent and just completely trivializing power generation or food supply. It's easy to make separate circuits to minimize the damages of Zzzts and mixing hunting in with crops, it just adds to more drama

That would be fine if they were spaced out appropriately. As it is the game throws them at you in your first year, constantly, when you're completely unprepared for them, not complacent at all. I'm sort of okay with Zzzt because I can just download RT Fuses, but blights are dumb. A lot of the random events are dumb in the first year, they just serve to gently caress over a fledgling colony for no good reason. The game seriously needs a storyteller with a grace period, where they only throw nice/moderately threatening things at you in the first year, let you get set up, and then toggle on the annoying events when you're capable of handling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Not true, I have performed surgeries on lots of prisoners in their normal prison beds.