Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

OwlFancier posted:

It also gives you more reason to use things like the tool cabinets and put seating in front of your crafting stations because you spend a lot more time crafting things.

:aaaaa: How did I never even think to try this. My actual job is at the real-world equivalent of a crafting station and the first thing I do every day is drag a chair or a stool over to it.

Man Musk posted:

Heavy clothing helps with temperature tolerance, too. Check out the stats on individual gear for some mad parka warmth

This made me picture a mod which adds craftable tiny clothing for hydroponic plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

is there some way to get colonists to prioritise cleaning a whole room when doing it manually? It's annoying to have to click on each individual bit of dirt and vomit (and dirt barely shows up on wood floors)

So the trick I've found for this is to make cleaning priority 1, bumping everything else down in task priority down one place: only allowed to do something other than clean when there's nothing left to clean. My plan is to set up my dedicated crafters on my current run this way; once I have three or four of them they should be able to handle most dirt-tracking and animal-afterbirth incidents right after they happen.

e:f;b

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So far I've had good results from Tribal Embarkations which Prepared Carefully enough to bring one of the cheapest hats and dusters for everyone.

I've actually got a saved Tribal loadout, including a pawn loosly based on myself and four other folks I know. Of course, someone always dies within the first year to something dumb, and at least two thirds of the time it's me and it happens in the first season. Right now I'm on like my seventh start with these guys, as time has gone on I've replaced the starting ranged weapons with a pair of shotguns and the starting melee weapons with three wooden spears and buckler shields (shield mod is pretty cool) just to make the initial hunting and defense tasks less murderous.

I really feel like tribalwear should have some serious bonuses to heat tolerance at the very least, maybe we could get a low-tech hat option like a basic turban or something as well, and while I'm on the topic of clothes it's always entertaining to me that the pawns can wear pants but they don't show up visually. You guys don't have legs, why do you need pants?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Tanreall posted:

I love the descriptions of the art work. I had one about a fox vomiting, wish I would have saved it. :barf:

If you keep and breed animals, you're basically guaranteed to have at least a third of the artwork your colonists make be either about animals vomiting or animals being trained. Or animals covered in vomit.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Kinetica posted:

For issues like this, I draft all the colonists and hit the beavers with a firing squad and have them haul back immediately.

Everytime I've tried to get rid of beavers without using a drafted firing line I wind up with 1-2 dudes getting swarmed down while everyone else is hauling corpses back to the freezer; one of my primary crafters once lost several fingers to this. Just not worth trying to keep the rest of the colony functions rolling while colonists go out to hunt singly if you ask me.

Also, a few days ago I was setting up some farm expansions when I heard what turned out to be a Timber Wolf in a really long combat. I went looking for the wolf with some draftees because I make it a policy to execute any animal which comes near my colony and might wind up eating one of my puppies or rabbits, but I couldn't find it and got distracted. Next game morning, I notice there's a bleeding tortoise chilling near the fields, and on checking out his health tab he's got a couple of bleeding wounds and both of his eyes have been torn out, all from a Timber Wolf.

I think this loving tortoise killed a wolf in self-defense, is what I'm saying. I tamed the poo poo out of that fucker and then a couple of lady tortoises for him to gently caress, because :drat:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

RT Fuses is so worth getting. I mean, really, the Glitterworlds operate with zero in the way of fusing or circuit breaking?

I've been using the craftable medicine mod, and I think it's basically broken the trader aspect of the game by the end of year three. I have an enormous healroot field, a tiny cotton patch, three colonists who are Medicine 10+ and a bill set to keep us topped up to 200. Between this, a domesticated Alpaca herd, and a 36-strong Husky force whose offspring are now all being sold off as rapidly as possible in order to avoid the colony drowning in dogs I've been able to do poo poo like buy excellent Charge Rifles off of traders, as well as clearing them out of Components, Steel, Plasteel, etc.

Basically this is the first lategame-successful Tribal start I've played and it's satisfying as gently caress, can't wait to see what it takes to bring the settlement down. We're producing our own components, our own firearms, we've got three combustion generators we don't use anymore as reserve power as well as two geothermals and two old wind turbines (with a breaker-ed battery bank), we have multiplying herds of Alpacas and Muffalo, as well as the Huskies and a ton of rabbits.

With the rabbits, I'm trying to scale the herd large enough that I can consistently provide meat for the settlement; so far I'm still ramping up as much as possible, with two breeding males and every female kept alive, and the excess males sent off to check out the freezer, and with over 25 rabbit ladies I'm still pretty far short, even if I was siphoning off all of the maturing females as well. This could wind up getting out of hand.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

"My X relationship," "My friend," and "a colonist" death penalties all appear and are in effect at the same time.

e: at least for me

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Man Musk posted:

Noice

I also just found out that stools increase comfort in front of work benches. Aw yea

I use Armchairs for all of my crafting stations (current game has a serious Muffalo herd so I've got textiles to burn though).

And I remember reading somewhere that the nutrition value of flowers was significantly reduced...I think?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

texasmed posted:

[*]Build a farm area with manually planted food or alternatively dont bother with livestock animals at all[/list]

So for grazers like Muffalo and Alpacas, I just set a giant loving animal area and let them wander around; if I haven't hunted the entire map out I'll usually maintain a more-protected area for babies. Those guys will eat everything that grows out there, including entire loving trees, but I picked a bigger map specifically for grazing area.

The babies might wind up being locked in a barn with a food supply until I notice that they've grown up, but otherwise produced food of any kind is reserved for pawns and hauler/pet animals. Incidentally, this has got to be the only way to actually support Thrumbos, holy poo poo do those space unicorn bastards eat.

The Shortest Path posted:

elephants, rhinos, thrumbos, and maybe grizzly bears are all fine against the odd tribe that sends 20+ melee dudes at you at once, otherwise animals seem way more effort than they're worth unless you're in desperate need of haulers and even then those take a year to train if not more depending on luck.

My Husky deathball takes care of almost all of the hauling on my map, though there are so many that I've had to make them an animal area which is the entire map minus a few small patches where I have poo poo that I don't want them eating.

I know for sure I would have like 2/3ds of my crops left out to rot (or a whole lot less other poo poo getting done inside) every harvest without them. And I've sold off dozens of puppies to the local tribes, I'm sure they're all wearing nothing but husky leather.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Best part is he's a psychopath, so he won't feel guilty harvesting raiders organs! Hippocratic oath? FEH!

That's good, but the actual best part is that he's an Optimistic Psychopath. The Cheerful Butcher!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I see, I've hit bad luck and had two beatings to death. Could definitely use some work, like two or more colonists or even one depending on melee skill could 'subdue' someone

I had my star animal trainer and second-best constructor (same pawn) go chain-berserking because her husband died in an attack, and we managed it pretty well the first three times by having everyone who wandered into the room and noticed her get drafted (instead of lighting her up with whatever weapon they were carrying) to go beat the poo poo out of her.

All routine, until the fourth time when the last remaining melee fighter in the colony casually strolled up and shoved a spear through her face, killing her instantly. God loving dammit, Tiny, did you want Church's assault rifle that badly?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

zedprime posted:

Although it seems like it could use a re balancing of the probabilities that makes wrong side or nearby site errors more common than accidentally transplanting a heart when installing a peg leg.

What the gently caress is this crazy poo poo, talking about not wanting to have hilariously random botched operations in Rimworld?!

e: if Zzzt! was funny somehow, maybe a lot fewer people would be using RT Fuses.

e again:

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah that is just a quick way to relocate furniture, it doesn't change it's statistics.

Do we know why some entities can't be uninstalled and moved and some can?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Squeegy posted:

There's no mood penalty for leaving a raider to die after you've shot him.

I strongly support the inclusion of a gallows that can be used to execute all so-marked prisoners in an event that has the same mechanics and a somewhat weaker effect than the party.

Or a guillotine! We need to bring some loving Frontier Justice to this benighted mudball.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

They should let us go full barbarian and chop off their heads and put them on pikes to deter invaders. Visitors would also see it and go away. "The visitors from Gordon's Creek were considering visiting, but they saw the bloodshed we inflicted and decided against it. -10 relations."

I love the idea for flavor and having extra periods where there's no active crisis wouldn't be nothing, but basically this would turn the times when you draw a raid event into either nothing happening for a weaker raiding party, or a stronger raiding party just not giving a poo poo and coming at you.

In general, I can understand not wanting to add and support options like a gallows for public executions and gibbets for deterrence, but that poo poo is far from a common practice anytime you wind up with humans in small subsistence settlements that are subject to exterior violence.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

I just have a dump stockpile called "Mass Grave", idk

Instead of butchering them and then making kibble I just construct an extra, smaller freezer for an outsider corpse locker and let my dogs go have a gnaw when they want some meat. Bonus: the dogs take care of stocking their pantry after every fight.

e: also, this was the best image I could come up with in less than 30 seconds of searching, seems like there ought to be more realizations of colonists' artistic visions out there.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 9, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

How do you ensure your dogs are eating the corpses instead of your regular food stockpile?

Yeah the dogs actually have access to the crop storage areas so they can help with the harvest; I haven't learned food:population ratios or any poo poo like that so I just plant enormous fields and have an ever-expanding cave freezer.

They don't have access to the animal-meat locker, though. I've taken to making this a corner in my original freezer and eventually splitting it off into a discrete structure, where there's a critical-priority stockpile for animal corpses and then another one for meat storage, the dogs have access to the corpse drop but not the meat stockpile. They're welcome to eat as many potatoes and berries as they want, but seem to prefer meat, or at least they tend to go through corpsicles rapidly enough that I've never managed to fill up a 4x4 dog pantry.

This does mean that every game I need to manually drag out a dog/hauler animal area which is literally the entire map except for the few areas I want them out of, so they can take care of an increasing portion of the hauling load as they reproduce and get trained up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Azhais posted:

Or make a new area, immediately invert which makes it the entire zone, then cut out areas you don't want them in, either works

Atticus_1354 posted:

You can make an area covering what you don't want them in and then hit the invert button in the area management screen.

:aaaaa:

I honestly have never had a problem getting an embarkation up past basic subsistence which could have been solved by cannibalism. Usually if that happens it's going to be someone getting killed or crippled in an early event leading to a break chain, and while cannibalism might wind up happening as part of the failure spiral I'm usually in bad enough shape that a raid will knock the place over instead of resulting in edible contributions.

Also my favorite thing about this game so far is that I can feel like I'm taking the moral high ground because I only feed the corpses of my enemies to my tamed animal herds, instead of to my population.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

I didn't think goons could find a bar lower than obsessing over some easily ignored sexual fluff but here we are, measuring tiles in boardgames.

The Goon Will Always Get Through.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Azhais posted:

I've been playing since A4 and I don't think I've ever had a trader that would buy furniture. Was that supposed to be a thing in A15?

I've been playing since A14 and I've encountered precisely two traders who would buy furniture.

I remember distinctly because this led me to maintain significant stockpiles of extra furniture uninstalled and ready for sale for several games afterward, so that they could gather dust while my colony burned down or the colonists murdered each other.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Imagine a floor, made of burning wood, stretching out to the limitless horizon in all directions.

e: this post still valid* as a thought experiment

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 25, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

"Chuckles has died because of Stoned on Smokeleaf"

e: fuuuck, he was the Trigger-Happy Psychopath I had just managed to recruit specifically so he could wield the lovely minigun we got off of a dead mechanoid from the first psychic ship.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 26, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

On further inspection he was the dude with a permanent brain injury due to taking a headshot while behind a granite wall under a roof, so perhaps that had something to do with it?

Either way, I stashed him in the corpse locker until his sarcophagus is done, hopefully someone remembers to put him in there before the dogs eat him.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Is there any way I can get rid of a half-made object, like clothing? It's just taking up space and I can't do anything with it.

e: It's 'cancel'. I am stupid.

I think I had played this game for a hundred hours before I noticed that, you're not alone. More than one colony had a small stockpile to set aside the sad relics of deceased crafters!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

tuyop posted:

I did it, guys!

Is that...a fully-enclosed steam vent in the upper left? How hot is it in there, and why did you feel like you needed a room-sized oven?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Katsuma posted:

That sounds like a pair of problems that would cancel eachother out.

Also, does it bother anyone else that 'gay' is a trait? I use prepare carefully a lot, and I hate having to spend a trait slot on it if I want to make a planet of fabulously beautiful bloodhungry cyborgs.

Yeah it seems like if romantic relationships are going to be a thing in the game, and there's going to be determined sexual preferences involved, then every pawn should just have a sexual preference category apart from the Traits list.

Also, if romantic relationships are going to be a thing in the game, people need to stop being driven to/past the breaking point by getting rejected. It's like every one of the pawns is me :emo:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I mean, I guess it just seems moderately silly to living human beings that humanlike characters would become so distraught over repeated rejections that they just wander aimlessly out into the snow, shedding all of their clothing.

Or maybe it seems moderately silly that someone would hit on someone who obviously isn't interested four times in four hours, but since this describes a pretty mild weird-customer interaction from my retail days it seems less likely, a contributing factor at best.

The social interactions are for the most part ignorable, other than the occasional big stack of Goon Romance debuffs, contained in their own tab in the character window, so it's pretty reasonable that people would be aggravated when our only real interaction with it is fighting the one really irritating edge case?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Tias posted:

Excellent red text-avatar-post combo!

Yeah it turns out mentioning that one has a lifelong history of third party or write-in votes, but is still grudgingly voting for Clinton, gets people extremely angry right now. This loving election can't be over fast enough, people can go back to thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat because I'm not very good at expressing disorganized thought patterns instead of due to knee-jerk tribalism.

e:

Raerlynn posted:

Nice meltdown.

:same:

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 17, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sunblood posted:

It says "A bed can only be hooked up to one vitals monitor" implying that a bed can't utilize two monitors. It doesn't mention anything about a max limit for how many beds can be hooked up to a single monitor.

God loving dammit, you're right. I feel dumb for not realizing this.

But probably I'm going to continue to build my hospitals the 'correct' way for the same reason that I build workshops to leave clear walkways even though the pawns ignore them and crawl all over the work tables to get fresh raw materials from the production-floor stockpiles.

e: not-quite-ocd which applies only to video game living/working environments, for clarity

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oh man, I didn't even notice the first time I looked at that picture that the player doesn't even build corner wall squares.

:cmon: that looks dumb as hell, and for an overall savings of what like 16 wood? Though I guess when I'm digging out caves to live in I leave the raw rock on the corners early on to save time.

I usually go with an under-mountain cave complex instead of something freestanding, with infestations turned off, mostly for personal preference, and after trying a couple of different approaches I've settled my general approach on "cramped common room with everything shoved into it" --> "non-airlocked kitchen set to freezing with enough storage space for the first two harvests" --> "hollow out end-state bedrooms and hallways with a plan for where the cross-hallway to the next residential access corridor is going to go" --> "airlocked freezer off the kitchen with a planned airlock to the outside for harvesttime to be installed later" in terms of structure. Those hallways remain three tiles wide throughout the complex, for later retrofitting with heaters in walled niches which can serve as defensive cover in a pinch, and the bedrooms are 5x5 internally with the requisite layer of wall around them for aesthetics.

I've never gotten to the point where I felt like enormous gaudy bedrooms for everyone was worth doing, but I imagine I would just knock down the walls between two rooms off the same hall. I usually wind up joining up four of the rooms nearest the common room (usually the commons isn't located in the original excavation area, that becomes the ready room/armory) to turn into an actual hospital/lab once I get the resources to comfortably cover a hefty area in sterile tile.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll need to back up my saves if I reinstall, correct?

I don't know for sure but I can't really think of a reason not to do so.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

McGiggins posted:

My elephants keep getting "hammered" on alcohol, so most of my hauler colonists are spending their time dragging around giant pachyderms full of booze. If I leave them incapacitated due to booze and do not drag them to a bed, will they be okay?

I want to say they'll be fine after the booze wears off and they're no longer incapacitated. I'm not certain but I also can't imagine anything else happening as a result, unless there's some hard rule in the code dictating that Incapacitated entities have to be rescued in order to return to normal.

Also, you should probably keep your intoxicant stockpiles off-limits to animals, or at least that's what I do in my games. It just seems like pigs, bears, dogs, and apparently elephants can't be trusted with booze.

But really, why wouldn't you want this to be happening all the time?!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 21, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Roadie posted:

These cool base designs make me desperately want Z-layers, even if it was just 2 or 3 layers total, so that infrastructure could be laid out under/over living areas and feel like a compound with connecting areas instead of a single massive building.

Edit: STEAM TUNNELS

Even just having, like, an Infrastructure sublevel where you could run ducts and power conduit would be great. I mean, if my colony goes from fell-out-of-space-with-barely-anything to assembling an FTL-capable vessel piloted by a strong AI, it's not hard to imagine that HVAC was at least flirted with along the way.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Didn't even know Carcinoma was in the game :eyepop:

I had my hens evacuated inside during a pack of manhunting rhinos, and failed to prohibit two tiles of my beer stockpile. One night later, half of the chickens get so hammered they go down and need rescue.

Like a loving dozen of them got cirrhosis, and most of those developed carcinomas as a result. Over the next year two of them got so painful that the hens couldn't stand anymore and I had to put them out of their misery. I imagine human pawns being treated with medicine instead of with massage and prayer (or whatever medical treatment with no medicine is supposed to represent) would live longer.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Still haven't played much with the caravan stuff. Every time I try my colonists collapse from exhaustion while loading up.

The reason this happens is that it takes the pawns you've designated a motherfucking long-rear end time to load up all of the garbage you've designated. Possible approaches include designating more pawns, designating less garbage, or preemptively staging all of your desired garbage out into a pole barn and hoping your pack animals decided to park nearby for loading.

e: also, making sure your pawns are well-fed and -rested before they start loading.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just picked up the game and played my first non-tutorial session.

Built a couple of buildings, began to expand, watch two trade groups and my colonists get killed by a herd of angry Buffalo-type creatures.

:allears:

Muffalowned

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Component benches only cost 20 components to make now. I think they're very much worth doing but it kinda depends on your base and how much patience you have.

I mean, even with a great crafter it takes a really loving long time to make a single component, and you have to make 20 of them just for the bench to pay for itself.

I picked up https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725488168 basically for the crafting time decrease, which makes the whole proposition manageable, and also cuts the steel per unit from 25 to 10. The cost decrease is a bit much, but I haven't bothered digging into basic Rimworld modding deeply enough that I can locate the correct value to change so this works well enough.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

big trick im aware of is enclosing a geothermal vent for heat. Risky though, can explode.

:stare: I'm curious what specifically you mean here, if it's fires from excess heat or if there's some mechanism which actually explodes your room.

Danaru posted:

What

How much :stare:

Just went to check, this, the ship reactor provides 1000W of power, the same capacity as a fueled generator though presumably it doesn't need refueling. At 300 steel, 500 plasteel, 150 uranium and 25 components it's pretty steep for a reliable power source, but considering the available stocks and purchasing power of the outlander settlement I've been sending caravans to regularly it's probably within reach for a colony old, stable, and productive enough to support 3-4 dedicated crafters to build a couple of these.

Obviously one hell of a luxury, but feasible.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I feel that this may be the obvious escalation from bear defence. Load bears into drop pods while jacked up on luciferum, enemy has to fight omnicidal bears full of nanomachines.

I love absolutely everything about this post and idea.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Man Musk posted:

What do I do with steel slag chunks in this game??

Once you research Electric Smelting you can melt them down for 10 steel each. The smelter workbench can also melt down weapons for their raw materials, which depending on the material may or may not be worth it vs selling.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Those are capybaras :confused:

Correction: those are one-half of all your nice dinners for the next two seasons or so.

And seriously, whoever posted that image, tame the gently caress out of those Alpacas. You will be swimming in enough wool to build a fashion-supply-caravan trade empire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Alright, thanks. Is it worth it trying to mount a trade/raiding caravan of my own? Do the bases of friendly/hostile factions have much to trade/loot?

It's hard to overstate how enormous the trade inventories of Outlander settlements are. I send out pack trains loaded with ~2k joints and ~1k Yayo and they come back carrying 6-700 plasteel, whatever other sundries I can pick up (bad-quality plasteel weapons, glitterworld medicine, gold for refining EPOE Vancidium and building Robots++ robots, basically anything you could think of), and thousands of silver besides.

Also, I highly advise use of https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=826824646&searchtext= if you're planning to send out caravans with lots of single-stack items like clothing (or small-stack items like meals for that matter), plunk one of those things down in the middle of a stockpile set up to receive all of the poo poo you're planning to send out in order to avoid your pawns starving and exhausting themselves before they manage to load up all of your muffalo.

Finally, I discovered that if you have a caravan which fails to depart due to someone breaking has all of its already-loaded inventory still carried by the designated pack animals (graphically they also continue to wear their backpacks) such that if you dispatch a fresh caravan with the same pack animals included the new inventory will be loaded alongside the old and everything carried to the destination. I had this happen to a caravan but the 1200 or so joints which had already been loaded didn't get unloaded. I figured they were lost and waited for two more space weed harvests before microing my pawns to have sky-high moods right after they woke up and dispatching again. Whey they arrived in Beggar's Cave they had just shy of 3500 joints to sell (as well as more Yayo than the second attempt had loaded, and a bunch of castoff/garbage clothing which I had been trying to send out before and was the main reason loading took so long that caravaneers were flipping their poo poo and burning stuff).