Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So, is this worth the $30? I'm a bit leery seeing as it is not on Steam and also $30 for an indie title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I gave this guy $30.

I have no clue what I'm doing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

My entire colony died as a battery next to my dorm exploded because it got rained on. Only because the shelter wasn't done building yet and it started to rain.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Why won't my people eat the nutrient paste fromt he machine I made for them? They take the raw potatoes and eat those from the hoppers instead.

As well, how do I get more settlers? 3 isn't enough and I'm on day 20 for my colony.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Is it powered? Is it turned on? Are the hoppers directly adjacent to the dispenser?

This game is slow, give it time. 20 days is still in the setup phase.

Your main source of new colonists will be capturing and rehabilitating the survivors of raids against you. You can also purchase new people from a slaver, kidnap wandering persons, sometimes survivors of some shipwreck will fall from the sky or if you're very lucky someone will just join of their own free will. Expect to not have enough hands for most of the game, it's stingy with new people and quick to kill your settlers off. This is a game about hardscrabble survival, not peaceful space colony (unless you crank the difficulty all the way down)

Well I am using the Builder storyteller just to learn how to actually play the game. The worst I've had was a mad boar rush into my camp trying to kill my builder/cook/hunter named Engie. She was asleep and the boar got in the range of the automatic turret I set up.

You need to turn on the dispenser, it doesn't turn on automatically? I assumed with the potatoes on the hopper that it'd eat them automatically and give out sweet, sweet nutrient paste. Of course now that I have a kitchen my person who does everything except haul goods and plant/harvest crops because I turned those off makes food that's better than the goop from the dispenser.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

What are some recommended mods to use with this game? I have Clutter, Enhanced Defense, and Project Armory right now

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Nobody in my village of 4 goes around and researches unless I turn of all their other options. Then the guy locks himself in the research chamber and nearly hits his mental breaking point because he stays inside until he starts to starve. Doesn't help that he thinks his room is spatious and then he thinks his bed is cramped.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I decided to drop down to Phoebe Friendly difficulty to make a neato base without worrying about everyone dying at once.

Anyone decide to go to the complete opposite and choose Randy Random?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Leif. posted:

So mod-chat for a minute.... I'm currently running about 30+ mods with a couple of annoying but minor conflicts. But I noticed that the Epyk pack contains almost all of the good mods without most of the really lovely ones, in an all-in-one modpack. Anyone have any negative experiences with it thusfar? It's supposedly tested so that everything is compatible with each other.

The only negative experience I've had with Epyk is that they decided to throw in enemies from Stargate and they make no sense to be in the weird world, but that's a minor point and not really a thing that will destroy the entire experience.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Is peaceful play still an option if I just want to make a town without having things jump all over me?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Thanks for making that pack!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Inacio posted:

No problem!

Getting that quote with URLs and descriptions was a huge pain in the butt, but if people get some use out of it it'll be worth it!

I'm about to play with this modpack. Should be interesting.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

A feudal colony attacking you makes sense in RimWorld because your people CAN come from a feudal planet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The modpack in the OP has some nice turrets.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6895.0 is the unedited version for plebs who don't use the goon modpack.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I tried that epic overhaul mod, and it just is way too made for spergs.
I think my people would know how to build a bed even if they lived in a feudal colony. Perhaps not if they were cavemen, but the chances of only having cavemen in your colony are very rare.

The goon modpack is much better balanced. Adds some things but doesn't overhaul the entire game.

That being said, is it wrong to butcher humans and then use their meat to train my beasts?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The only difference really is you need the Community Core Library for the new RedistHeat which isn't included in the Goon Modpack.

No clue why it's NOT in it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ratzap posted:

I decided to try the ultimate mod pack after backing my mods and saves up (part of the install process is deleting all mods/planets/etc). It's certainly different, you can't just plant whatever you like off the bat (requires research to get all but a few basic plants) and you need seeds too. Research is something you need to set up pronto in order to get things like power and cooking facilities. There are lots more different animals too - mosquitos drat near killed one of my colonists when I wasn't paying attention.

A tarantula completely destroyed my entire colony. Everybody was in bed wounded, and the raiders came.

Screw the raiders, that spider killed me.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk in Space posted:

See, this reminds of something Tynan changed for the worse: you used to be able to put down a large stockpile zone and then delete pathways through it, thus cutting it into segments, to allow your colonists easy access to items in the middle. But because it was still the same large stockpile, each segment retained the same settings you had chosen.

You can't do that anymore because if you try to delete a path through a stockpile, it actually cuts the stockpile down to where you're deleting squares from. In other words, individual stockpiles have to be contiguous now. I remember being really baffled by that change when I saw it in his work log.

It could be that the original way was a bug, and Tynan fixed the bug.

You can at least use any shape for your stockpiles instead of being all boxes/rectangles.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

When I see a person talk to get the standing with a faction up, I know the percentage that pops up is the percentage of that particular action, well, happened. Either pass or fail. Now, I see it for a prisoner to try to recruit them. Is the percentage meter different, like it's a 23% chance I will succeed, or am I just unlucky and get the 23% chance of failure?

Also the same thing with taming an animal. What percentage is it showing me when I fail? The chance that I will fail, or the chance of actual succeeding?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ninefingers has been banned completely from the RimWorld forums, due to all the drama he caused. And someone else has taken the mantle to make a "new" UOP.

The only difference is that the new guy is not going to listen to requests to add stuff just for the sake of adding things. He's also not going to put any donation links on his page, and obviously will get permission from mods that he wants to include. Hell, one modder does have a donation link, and he will link to the mod itself but NOT the donation link. He's also not going to throw too much difficulty in the modpack even when he's starting from scratch. Also he add things just because someone requests it. A huge problem with UOP was people could request something and it was added to the modpack without fixing what was already broken.

Basically, he's doing things properly. Hell, it's going to take a couple of months before the new pack is set to be released.

And there's a link too right now.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16368.0

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Do any good mod packs get posted on the Ludeon forums? There are so many mods out now that I don't want to go trawling through the forums every time I come back for a new update. The vegetable garden mod looks neat but the combat realism one looks dumb (snipers with map wide range). Any modpacks that are sorted by flavor or themes would be cool.

Grab the modpack in the OP. There have been a couple of updates to mods since it was made, but it's not too much trouble to update those said mods.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Is it possible to automatically harvest crops when they are ready?

If you have a pawn with the growing skill active they will automatically harvest the crops when the crops are ready.

No mods are needed.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The new EULA says you can ask for donations, but you can't make donations be the main part of your page.

So making a mod pack and throwing donation links all over it is a no-go.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I would like to weigh on the previous Dwarf Fortress talk.

You don't really get to know any of your dwarves in Dwarf Fortress. Sure you might look at their profile once or twice, but do you actually pay attention to every single dwarf when you have over 50? You might use Dwarf Therapist or set their labors manually, but when they are so unremarkable you don't really get to know them. It's more like throw them in the army and if they die you have a free set of armor for the next dwarf. Or set yet another dwarf to replace that one job.

Rimworld on the other hand, your colonists are much more important, and memorable. You don't need to choose your favorite colonists, because they are all so important. You don't care if a dwarf heads to the tavern to drink or to the temple to pray to their deity. You might follow a couple of dwarves around, but overall they are very forgettable. You get to know your colonists much better. You can see what their moods are at a glance, and take methods to remedy that. You might see what your colonists do for fun, like if they want to play horseshoes, watch TV, watch the clouds, or just talk with a friend. They might go shooting at the archery range to improve their accuracy.

Rimworld is better at making stories about your colonists. Dwarf Fortress is more about the story of the Fortress itself.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

Is customizing a colonist an option in this game? I derive like 80 percent of my joy via self-inserts.

You can change their names without mods.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Emmie is fictionally coherent to the rest of the game world. The sad thing is that Tynan let her get put into the game. He probably cleaned up the original plan for Emmie a bit to make her fit into the story of the game without getting too much into the Squick factor

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Looks like in A14 that Prepare Carefully might be obsolete.
Depends how much you can actually customize in the scenario editor.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Danaru posted:

This was not the outcome I was expecting when I stuck my prisoners next to the ancient ruins. I figured they'd soak up a few shots when the strike team moved in

Did they embrace their new robot overlords?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Looks like it was more Valve going "Hey, don't promise keys".

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I am just surprised that Tynan didn't decide to make the Steam release as Beta 1.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

What are the changes? Either way, the whole thing felt like a mod I would never installed, and was unable uninstall. I just want to remove it.

If there are no more bugs, the hive will die on its own.

Specifically:
Hives must now be tended by insects, so if insects are all instantly killed by a turret wall, the hives will die out.

Also
Infestations are easier and grow less exponentially.
Infestations only appear deeper underground now.

Technically the hive needing to be tended is an exploit fix, since it was easy and free food once you got a turret wall set up.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 13, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Any good YouTubers who are playing A14 I should take a look at? I do subscribe to Blitzkreigsler so I don't need a recommendation to watch his videos.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The only reason there was a cut-off date was because Steam doesn't allow you to sell Steam keys for games not on Steam.

Anyways, the new scenario setting is great.
I started with a rich explorer. His pet died in a raid, only because he was wandering around in a daze when a raid happened and didn't want to drop his charge rifle so the Marine prisoner I managed to get to join my colony couldn't use it. They instead charged the enemy with their shoddy weapons.

I thought that escape pod events could cause those colonists to join you. One had the lover of my starter guy, and after she was bandaged up she was free to go. I wanted her to join her rich explorer husband!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Can you start with beer (in the scenario editor)?

I need to know for... reasons.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Since I can spawn in the scenario creator with beer, I will have 3 guys who go on an insane bender and somehow end up with a bunch of guns, two tigers, and a whole shitload of beer. They will start with maximum hangovers.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mods made checking stats easier.

Someone already made my hangover idea for a scenario. Also there are mods on the Workshop. CCL still needs to be installed manually because they say it has issues with the Steam Workshop. Probably because it includes non-standard mod files or something.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Azhais posted:

The most tragic modding news is that EdB is done and not updating anything for A14 :rip:

Some of EdB's most popular mods are features of the base game now.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

I used "boatmurdered" as a seed in worldgen and ended up settling in a jungle biome. Not very far into the game an event drove the local elephants insane and they promptly grinded my colonists down to a fine paste.

Appropriate

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Roadie posted:

I'm sad Community Core Library isn't on Steam Workshop yet.

Also, the mod menu in the game desperately needs click and drag reordering instead of needing to click little arrows a million times.

They aren't putting it on the Steam Workshop yet because a update to the CCL can break saves.

Also they "Say" it won't work on the Steam workshop because of the way it's coded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Miffroon posted:

The important question is does this game have the DF engraving. I used to love reading all those engravings about the frankly monstrous goings on that happened in various levels.

Not as detailed, but you can see what a particular sculpture is.