Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

triad posted:

My first colony: I obviously don't know what I'm doing so I try to deconstruct one of the abandoned buildings and the roof collapses on my miner, killing him.

The remaining two soldier on for a few days but neither of them will mine any iron and I start to realize I need more colonists. There are a couple of those sleep pods sitting inside some structure on the edge of the map, so I decide to check them out, hoping some friendly dudes will pop out and join me.

I send one guy to open the pods, and instead of a friendly worker greeting me, a soldier jumps out and starts shooting at my colonist with an m16. He runs out into the forest, and the soldier opens the other pod, producing a second soldier with an incendiary grenade launcher. They chase my guy through the woods and gun him down, leaving him to bleed out alone.

I quickly pan back to my base and see that the other colonist is sleeping. I have no idea whether he's going to wake up when the soldiers get there, so I try the draft thing and have him run out to fight. He almost takes one of them down but gets his rear end grenaded, and slowly burns to death. I just quit before the guy in the woods bled out, it was game over for me.

My new colony is running a little smoother, but I have a few questions

1) Would my guy have woken up when the soldiers got there and started making noise? If he had woken up and defended himself automatically, would he have had a better chance of fighting and surviving (can the AI fight better than I can control him)?

2) Do those sleep pods always pop out angry dudes, or do you have a chance of waking up friendly colonists as well?

3) How do you get colonists to mine? My miner dude had been mining the mountain I ordered him to, but once he died the other two wouldn't mine. I didn't see any gear on the miner that the other two would have needed, do I need to just re-issue the order to mine an area?

4) Not important: why are the guns so boring? M16's, handguns, lee-enfields? I don't get it, shouldn't there just be a bunch of sci-fi space guns?

1)God no, as far as I can tell colonists will ignore anyone attacking them from range unless they're told. you did right (and I don't think there's a penalty for waking someone up prematurely either)

2)idk lol it's probably got a chance of being good.

3)They need to have the mining job turned on. there's a colonist management button in the bottom right of the UI you can use to turn jobs on or off (and it also lets you manually set priorities), likely either they were both doing higher priority tasks (planting, for example) or didn't have mining turned on at all.

4)It's a beta maybe? the real answer is that this is also trying to invoke a wild west style feel, so it wouldn't make sense to have a ton of sci-fi space guns (basically it's a lower tech firefly). I imagine the fancy guns are coming at some point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Sculptures improve beauty which gives a significant happiness bonus when in the area.

You can also plant gardens outside which can actually improve the moods of people nearby.