Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Someone in the Dwarf Fortress thread said this game is really good so I bought it. Is there some equivalent to the Captain Duck tutorials I should watch? Because I tried to just jump in and had no idea what I was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Any advice for choosing an easy first embark location?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What size growing zones should I be starting with?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Okay, at this point I think the part I'm most confused by is trade/tradebeacons/stockpiles. Or stockpiles generally, maybe. My stockpiles get full really quickly, and then the things I want to trade, like my extensive collection of cowboy hats, are still where they were dropped by my hat maker. Considering how random the opportunity to trade is to begin with, how the different traders are only interested in particular goods, and especially how absolutely loving infuriating it is that my loving silver sometimes doesn't show up for reasons I really don't understand loving christ why do I have to store my spacebucks like they are giant blocks, the whole trade thing is frustrating and bewildering to me.

And generally since I've only a rough idea of what to prioritize I end up running completely out of silver and steel and then I need something and I'm just stuck waiting forever for the one trader that will at least buy my cloth for pennies.

So how do people manage this? How are you supposed to?

What do I need to know about the difference between trade beacons being inside or outside? There is some screen that flashes for just a moment sometimes that says something or other.

Are there mods that help this aspect of the game? Quantum stockpiles, or a mod that makes the trade screen detect all your stuff and not just what is in a trade beacon stockpile? I've seen some mods add things you can build that store specific things, do you know if I built those inside the radius of a trade beacon if their contents are detected?

This whole part of the game just seems broken to me as a new player, and I miss just selecting poo poo to haul to the trade depot in DF.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Spakstik posted:

If you're finding yourself short on silver and steel, you can either mark them as forbidden (f) or make sure that when you set up a bill at one of your crafting stations, it's set not to use silver, steel, and any other resource you want to conserve (done by pressing the config button in the bill's listing). If you can spare a colonist for crafting, building a tailor's bench and having the colonist turn your cloth into clothing will up its value considerably. I think dusters are the most valuable clothing item. A smithing bench is also pretty good for making money too if you have someone set to churn out wooden longswords. Statues are also really good money if you have an artistic colonist.

It always seems to be building things that require steel more taking my steel than using it for walls. So more the things you mention at the end. Silver mostly just seems in short supply compared to trade goods I want to buy early game, when I'm scraping to buy enough medicine to make medical beds, and then once I start selling stuff the silver I get for my trade goods itself clogs up my stockpiles.

I do always have a tailor working away, as mentioned, tending towards cowboy hats. If dusters are more economical I may switch to that, but I kind of like the thought of being the galaxy's source of cowboy hats for some reason. But at the rate cotton grows, I have enough cowboy hats to fill the space of both your stockpiles pretty quickly, as if they weren't already filled with everything else.

I did make statues once but then I mostly didn't find anyone that would buy them.

Spakstik posted:

Trade beacons are always outside; you'll notice that if you build one in a room, it automatically cuts a hole in the roof around the beacon. Not sure how this works when your base is inside a mountain, though.
So far I've been building into mountains, and in the absence of Z-levels I'm not certain, but it seems entirely inside.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

The recent changelog entry that piqued my interest the most is that colonists will now automatically change clothes. I hope this means we could eventually have drafted pawns automatically putting on helmets and power suits, because doing that poo poo manually with a lot of troops is annoying as all gently caress at the moment.
I highly doubt it is anymore more than replace tattered X with non-tattered X.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a mod that makes traders always available via the comms desk? Because my newest game I get maybe one passing trader per year and I'm drowning in human organs to sell.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I had a guy survive having his spine accidently removed last game. Had 4 bionic limbs, 2 bionic eyes, 0 spines.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Why don't you just link to the thread that already does that.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10663.0

That is certainly not a list of critical must-have mods.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Did Cramped Environment change? I have people in 3x11 bedrooms and they are still complaining.

Edit: I'm dumb, it's because I hadn't haulked the chunks out yet, so the walkable tiles were too low.

Edit: Actually, no, I seem to still be getting it.

Edit: Some have it, some don't, I'm so confused.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 30, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You'd be annoyed if I put your bedroom in a corridor, make rooms square-ish.
This doesn't actually provide any clarity in what the game is doing, but thanks anyway smartass.

E:

Flesh Forge posted:

e: 3x11 rooms, welp

Iunno maybe it'd be ok in the middle of the room?

That did the trick, thanks.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 30, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

It does though? I use 5x5 rooms and never have any issues

It doesn't, because everything I've ever read bases it clearance level. Spacious, the goal, is 26, which means you aren't hitting it with a 5x5. Most use a 4x7 or 5x6, but nothing I've read previously has made me rule out a 3x11.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Thoughts_list#Spacious_interior

The wiki mentions nothing about a minimum width, just a maximum length of 11.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The actual answer is that the clearance perspective zone doesn't have a large enough diameter to see the entire room when the bed is in the corner, which is why moving the bed to the middle of the room worked.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Spakstik posted:

If you're in a mountain then you'll need to place a beacon outside, otherwise the stuff you buy will land in odd places or possibly on top of the mountain you're in, making it in inaccessible.

Unless something changed in A10 this isn't correct. Goods just come down to the closest outside tile, and it's very consistent.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wolfman101 posted:

This isn't true. I have had them drop a good distance away from the closest outside tile.

It has been very consistent for me across multiple games in multiple worlds and I always bore into mountains so I dunno.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Gibbo posted:

As Rimworld gets more and more added to it, it's progressing through all the stages that DF went through. So much so that I don't feel much of a point of playing Rimworld over DF at all. It's a dwarf fortress with a slightly better UI and pictures at this point. (and guns)

I think it is significant that I can't play Dwarf Fortress without intentionally making several sacrifices in order to not have a lovely FPS almost immediately, and yet still my forts become unplayable due to FPS often before I even get around to building a military. Not that that matters considering how broken seiges are at actually bothering to show up.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ratzap posted:

I built a first radio last night and looked at the trade list, noticing dogs were worth about a thousand bucks I thought I'd sell my mutt. They'd give me 60 for him - bloody thing is almost blind and has dementia, it's not even worth a single chicken

I haven't played much with the new animals system. Do you mean an actual mutt? Can the different breeds of dogs interbreed and produce mutts?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

I've got a fair amount of data on it and can go into detail with some good examples to show you just how significant sight is for shooting accuracy and thus why enhancements to it are extremely beneficial, particularly at long range, but it will probably be kind of spergy.

Yes please

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Tetracell posted:

This would be the best thing in the world if anyone has a way to do it. I'm so goddamn sick of having the "Colonist left unburied" negative modifier. I can never find whatever corpse they're talking about, and if they weren't marked as no-use like 95% of the time it'd probably be no problem.

There used to be a mod (AlphaTweaks) that autounforbade everything in the home zone but I haven't played in a while and don't know if it is updated to recent versions.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I was never able to figure out how redistheat works. Only LP I've watched who used it was Midnight Snack Games, and he ended up with 200F bedrooms. Is there a tutorial somewhere? Do you need both cold and hot Networks to be able to both cool and heat?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Going to try out the goon mod pack. Does mod order matter?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that they sell corn to make money. Which trader will buy corn? The bulk trader sells it but doesn't seem to want to accept any.

e: Unrelated, but it seems like certain wild animals that die aren't eligible to be butchered. Two manhunter rhinos were killed by my turrets in an attack on my base and I want to butcher them for their meat and leather, but my hunter/butcher isn't doing it and I don't have the option to prioritize when I right click on the corpses. What's going on?

Trade beacon covering your food stockpile?
Corpses forbidden or outside allowed zones?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

The trade beacon doesn't cover anything other than its own stockpile.

That's why you can't sell corn. You also need a trade beacon in your freezer if you want to sell food in the freezer.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Shell stockpile included in the zone the pawn is allowed to go to?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Drink Cheerwine posted:

i dont know if you need both traits to successfully run a cannibal colony, but i think you only need cannibal. iirc, butchering malus is no big deal, cannibal malus is and i believe it stacks, which i dont think butchering does.

On the other hand, if you aren't chopping off limbs and eyeballs for spares before killing and eating your prisoners, you are doing it wrong. I believe that does stack, so it's really ideal to have both.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love psychopathic cannibal games.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Seconding Midnight Snack Games. After the death of the Ultimate Overhaul Mod Pack, I've mostly mimicked the collection of mods he is using in his latest modded run, and I'm having more fun than I have in while with this game. Also he renames colonists based on a list of people who request it, and I've gloriously died in two different seasons so far.

Blitzkriegsler is someone else whose LPs I've liked.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

LLSix posted:

What food crop is best for raw throughput? I'm making everything into meals so I am not concerned about the raw food modifiers.
Get chickens. Two eggs is a meal.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So here is a funny story. In my current colony, I have a lot of chickens. I mean A LOT of chickens. I just didn't pay attention to them for a while and they had a huge chicksplosion. They live in a fairly small barn. For some reason the visitors would always go hang out in the barn. The thing is, they HATED it there. They were getting absurdly high negative opinion mallus for overcrowded and going berserk and attacking the chickens. But there were so many chickens, the chickens always won.

I didn't even understand what was going on for a while, I just wondered why my chicken coop was mysteriously always covered in blood and also home to new forbidden weapons that I couldn't account for.

Once I figured it out, I just left it running like that as a neat way to farm weapons from visitors.

Rimworld.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a mod that makes chickens omnivorous? I'd like to feed them their kills.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey does anyone know why Midnight Snack Games stopped putting out videos? He was one of my favorite Rimworld players on Youtube.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Some of that seems pretty cool, but some of it seems like just incorporating mods that I didn't like enough to use.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

A13 just isn't for me. Maybe with mods in a few months.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Blitz has his first A14 ep up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prfNPt23G4A

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh man I love how the scenario editor is looking. 100% going to have it force everyone in the world to be cannibal psychopaths immediately. If I can also disabled hives spawning in mountains I'll be in heaven.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

Hives are getting some significant changes that should make them less of a game ending event, j

What are the changes? Either way, the whole thing felt like a mod I would never installed, and was unable uninstall. I just want to remove it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

From Tynan's twitter: Okay, bad news. Steam is refusing to publish the game. It just says "ERROR 2". So, I'm going to contact them and try to figure this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

He nerfed that somewhat, the incident only fires "further underground" whatever that means exactly.

Multiple hives were spawning in the empty space where some steel had been mined out on a non-mountain map on catonmarz's last Rimworld stream, so I don't buy that at all.