Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well, the rimworld the game takes place on isn't completly alien, there are other human colonies and traders pass by with relative frequency. It could be a world set up to be fully terraformed and then abandoned for whatever reason.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm having a problem and I can't decide if its a bug or intended behaviour.

I'm playing with one of the mods that add embrasures (Firing ports in walls) and I've fortified my colony with a full wall around it with a number of bunkers spread along it. In front of the firing ports are sandbags, as it helps protect my colonists while not affecting thier own accuracy. The problem I'm having is that enemies are refusing to shoot at my colonists from any range and instead are trying to batter the doors down.

For melee armed enemies I understand, thats what they do. But guys armed with guns, bows, grenades, even centipedes armed with thoe inferno cannon things don't shoot and instead try and attack doors in the wall.

Is it because they can't path to my guys, that they have a zero percent chance to hit and don't bother to try and shoot or is the mod that I'm using somehow bugged where my guys can shoot out but they can't shoot in?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm using the enhanced defense mod. The thing is my guys can fire through it from a large number of blocks away. I also didn't have this problem before I fully enclosed my base with my wall, is it maybe a pathing issue?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Even Scythers and Centipedes with AoE guns?

Man, it just feels like cheating right now. Maybe I need to revise my defences so they aren't so strong or something.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I had a couple wargs that I kept going on human meat. It worked well until mechanoids killed them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
There's a reason the largest population centers were established in temperate areas with access to fresh water and good farmland. And while you do get people like the Inuit that survive in the arctic they never have to deal with -100 C.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Minigun users will never hit the guy they're shooting at, but they'll shred everything around them so aim at someone in the middle of the enemy formation and watch them eat poo poo.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
There's always some weirdo who wants to add bodily functions to these sorts of games.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Do toilets require components and can they break down?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
With Randy being the most fair, since he isn't standing behind every raid with a clipboard writing down "Send more bodies next time" for next months raid.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The Cult mod is amazing and everyone should try it.

E: Whats the oldest (counting actual age) colonist you have? I've got a pretty good entry.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 13, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Except for hotfixes you'll be waiting till the next alpha.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Wall it up and install a massive bank of air cons pointing the hot vent into the cave. Go past heatstroke and straight into oven baked.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Don't forget the "defensive" turret mounted miniguns.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The geothermal and solar collector are connected to the rest of your power grid, right? There needs to be a direct conduit connection between whatever produces power and whatever draws power, though most power drawing items will extend a small a short distance away on their own.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It can be useful to keep grenades, a minigun or some other high damage quick firing weapon around to punch holes in walls when theres a fire. Deconstructing takes too long and I think the outrush of hot air can actually hurt anyone standing right next to the deconstructed wall.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Zhentar posted:

The impression I've always had is that the insectoids are simply feral, with no masters around to serve (their civilization(s) collapsed, and not necessarily at the hands of either mechanoids or insectoids), rather than having turned against their masters. I don't think that any official lore states either way.

It states somewhere in the game that insectoids where genetically engineered to be dropped on a mechanoid infested world and destroy them without further supervision. Like all of these sorts of things, they went out of control and are now a major threat to everyone.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It wouldn't work. How would you handle the current system of different animals leather giving different insulation values when used in clothing?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Eventually a big, red, scary tree will appear and one of your colonists will go to it and write an arcane book, which you can use to build a research bench that gives you access to cult stuff like altars and cult attire and such. You can then build a temple and designate how often your pawns worship the various gods you can discover through research. Once you've worshiped enough or sacrificed enough food and animals you'll be able to sacrifice pawns to use spells. For Cthulhu, the first god I discovered, there's a spell to cause ship pieces to rain down on the map and another that replaces one of your pawns appendages (Including eyes) with various tentacle themed limbs that give a significant boost to related stats.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Theres a mod for less arbitrary (read bullshit) medical failures. I wouldn't want to do anything complicated like install bionics without it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Keep in mind that if sappers show up with raids they can and will make a mess of whatever walls you're using to enclose your space. Keep some defensive emplacements near your outer walls just in case someone breaks through.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Build 2 layers of stone walls about 4 tiles apart, its fire proof and will slow down sappers enough so you can get your guys ready. You can even sprinkle some IEDs in the area between the walls as a nasty surprise for anyone trying to break in unopposed.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Coolguye posted:

this uses components in such a number that it's basically reserved for 'mega victory lap'

Isn't it 1 component per IED? If you place an IED every 5 (or whatever) blocks it shouldn't end up costing that much unless you're wall covers a ludicrously large area.

Or, build stone doors into the outer wall that you forbid, and then place the IEDs in front or behind the door. The sapper/raider will go and break down the door and then promptly funnel into an IED so none are wasted by never being stepped on.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It must make scythers even worse, they can already one shot colonists through embrasures as it is.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They can, but if its not actually walled in it won't get very hot and it'll dissipate very quickly.

I noticed that at some point the penalties for being in a small place (Like when mining) and "cabin fever" have been removed, which I am very happy about.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Zhentar posted:

Cabin fever hasn't changed at all, as far as I can tell.

Do prisoners just not get it anymore then? Cabin fever used to be a big obstacle to recruiting long term prisoners since the mood penalty grew quite large, but I've kept people for over a year now and they aren't suffering anything.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
"Healthy"

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'd get incredibly bored with the game if things didn't happen to threaten my stuff every now and then.

Have you dealt with mechanoids yet? As bad as raiders can be a large mechanoid attack is incredibly brutal.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Coolguye posted:

here is an image i posted a few pages back of what i'm talking about.

Those bedrooms are incredibly huge, you could chop them in half and still probably get the spacious room bonus.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
For infestation issues get a mod that adds embrasures and replace a wall in each bedroom with one, it'll let you shoot into the room without exposing your guys until the bugs smash down the door.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Embrasures are cool but really game breaking. I wish they were vanilla but the AI knew how to deal with them better.
I have to play with "house rules" when using them because it's way too easy to set up situations where a couple dudes behind an embrasure can take out like 50 raiders as the raiders just run around sort of infront of it but never correctly pathing to beat down a door or do something. In fact they rarely even shoot back.

Which is odd because I used embrasures quite a few versions ago and the AI handled them ok. The enemy would still actually try to shoot your dudes through the embrasures. Now they just panic and run around never shooting back.

For whatever reason this happens when the enemies path towards your pawns is blocked by a door, if you build a wall with embrasures but leave an unobstructed path the ones with guns/bows will shoot at your pawns again. I think what happens is the AI sees a door and no other way to physically reach your pawns and goes into sapper mode, over riding their normal behavior, probably to stop you walling up and just lobbing mortar shells at them until they die.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You do see the connection between your colony being a spartan hell camp and all of these mental breaks, right?

also lol at all of your pawns having massive alcohol/smokeleaf tolerances.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dejawesp, have you considered building a blockhouse out front of your usual defenses for the people you don't want around but don't have the time right now to harvest? They can act as ablative armor against incoming raids, and if they break and go beserk its no harm done to anything at all important.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Put them in an animal zone far away from anything valuable and shoot them a few times.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
He is a benevolent overlord to his minions. They've got nice beds and proper food and everything.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
As long as you get a psychopath to do it there's no effect on your guys.

Being nice to your colonists doesn't mean you're nice to anyone else.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hmm. Just make sure you only accept psychopaths into your fortress of slaughter colony.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hey guys I've figured out what Dejawesp's ideal colonists look like

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm honestly surprised there isn't a mod where you can stroggify your colonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What with being able to attack other colonies I really want a Strogg Mod now. Raiders/captives go into a room one end, obedient, brutally dissected and reconstructed soldiers come out the other.