Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Does hygiene work with stuff added by the alien races framework? I considered it but I am not willing to give up my Skaven or Hivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I've played for about 200 hrs now, all heavily modded.

Tons of mostly QoL stuff but mostly centered around my favorite trifecta of Genetic Rim, Kill for Me and Dinosauria. Mostly so I can have a roving band of killer animals (I still have never built a turret)

I also usually have Android Tiers and Skaven as well done alien race mods. I've tried out a bunch of others but usually ended up dropping them (Forsakens equipment is ridiculously OP, Gors/Goblins/Kobolds are just really barebones, 40k Orks have graphics that stick out in a really bad way, Turians have stupidly OP backstories etc)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
What is the best way to keep massive amounts of animals fed.

I keep getting to mid-game, succeed on some tames/buy fun animals and end up in a food death spiral where I hemorrhage food.

I've been trying to feed them mostly simple meals since Kibble has been rough to keep up with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah it probably doesn't help I'm going heavy on the Dinosauria, Genetic Rim and Kill for Me mods

Rip Dinosaur and Cthulu monster colony where all my colonists were glorifies pacifists and doctors for my very hungry animals.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

All of the Vanilla XYZ Expanded mods have been really great, nicely balanced, and I highly recommend them. Well, maybe not the cats and dogs, since they add a ton more critters for not much purpose, but the others, yes.

My biggest issue is they add a ton of low tier research that clogs up the tree and adds a lot of stuff you will literally never use or build

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

For the Dub's hygiene mod, do I need to be modeling inputs and outputs to separate clean water and poopy water, or is it closer to the electrical system where I connect a pipe and it just gets sorted out? I installed a water fountain for the first time and people were getting tainted water from it when my only sewage output is like 30 tiles away in a river not connected to my intake pump that I can tell.

It works just like an electrical system AFAIK

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I use the storage mod and just make Pallet/Tall Shelf hell in my initial building. Then I build on a Kitchen and Workshop like a cancerous growth onto it.

I also waste a ton of components making like 12 deep freezers for my Kitchen instead of just making a normal freezer room.

I've also literally never stored any supplies outside or seriously remodeled my bases. I should probably learn to play a bit better.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I don't think I've ever had anything (meteorites, ship parts etc) land in my base. Is the game coded to avoid this cos I think it would be pretty hilarious.

Yeah that stuff won't land within a certain radius of any active pawns or any of your constructions

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Hm, it seems like 1.1 made Chemical Interest worse. It now has a stacking negative mood if that settler goes cold sober for too long.

Hahaha, holy poo poo that's loving awful and means those colonists are just time bombs no matter what

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hmm, I'm toying with either installing Rimworld of Magic or not. On one hand it would totally fit the ~aesthetic~ I'm going for since I'm gonna be doing a Skaven and Fimir colony, on the other hand I've heard some uh questionable things about it.

Anyone have experience and want to weigh in?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think its specifically asking about doing a 1.0 install instead of 1.1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I just use Hunt for Me, Kill for Me and Xenobionic Patcher to make my animals my cyborg army who gets all the colony's meat while the humans do boring stuff like farm and poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Trade beacons do have a minor resource cost and there are certain drop pod raids that will hone in on a powered trade beacon. It also serves as a lure in general for sappers.

If you ever watch someone try to play 'optimally' it involves having either 1 beacon you manually cart around when a trade ship comes and otherwise leave powered in your killbox or a powered one in your kill box with the rest having dead power supplies to switch to when a trader isn't around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Anno posted:

Couple mods are starting to pop up with 1.2 tags. Guess there will be a big update soon?

Yeah, 1.2's been in unstable for a few weeks. The biggest changes are massively expanding the utility item system so it isn't just shield belts. There's now stuff like jetpacks and some artifacts like the animal pulsar have been moved to that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

So I've been getting back into this (last time I played was a super early alpha), and I feel like I'm moving extremely slow. Took me almost 2 years in-game time to finish battery research. Is there any where that lists some milestones I should be reaching, or does time not really matter? I guess people will eventually get old and die, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.

Depending on Storyteller raid difficulty will scale super hard over time. Cassandra or Phoebe always have a soft time limit before they're throwing such incredibly bullshit raids at you that you end the game or lose.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Beer's also a fairly safe mood stabilizer to put in the rotation with psychite tea so your dudes don't have mental breaks during the endgame raids and it doesn't hit consciousness as bad as smokeleaf.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Carcer posted:

Quoting myself to confirm it was the Elder Things mod, for anyone else that isn't getting any quests and has it installed.

Can anyone recommend any good alien races? I can't find much on the steam workshop but I think I'm just crap at using the right search terms.

What are you looking for in a good alien race?

I've had good experience with the following ones

Android Tiers
Gerzee
Xenohumans
Skaven
Fallout Ghouls
40k Tribal Orkoids
Rockmen race
Kenshi Hivers
Kenshi Shek
Tribal Fungi

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Unless the zone is really labyrinthine and winding you should be able to just take the biggest rectangular area and find that by multiplying its dimensions then adding the additional ones.

Like, how big is this zone and what is it for?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Every animal can eat kibble can't they?

Wargs and anything with 'strict carnivore' as its diet cannot.

Its what makes them such a pain in the rear end to keep and impossible to caravan with outside of artic climates, they can only eat bodies and raw meat. No kibble/Pemmican/Meals of any kind

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

The real pack animal answer is download mods so your caravans have chocobos aves to carry your pawns and aurochs bulls/triceratops to carry your stuff.

Extended Pack Animals- Dinosauria.

Just use T-Rexes for everything :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I used Skaven a bunch last time I played which also gets you stuff like Rat Ogres and Wolf Rats to play with. Also incredibly stupid Skaven weapon tech that can easily kill all your own dudes, it rules.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

redreader posted:

Which is the preferred storyteller these days? Still randy random (was it ever randy random?)

Randy is probably the best if you're looking for any sort of long term colony, both Phoebe and Cassandra are designed to eventually pressure you off planet by escalating while Randy isn't. Granted Randy can also just completely turbofuck your whole day but that's part of his charm.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, the Mass Effect mod set looks really interesting though I'm gonna wait for a few more modules to be released. Right now its still a bit patchy but its really impressive they got so many new systems working with all the biotic and tech powers etc. Feels a lot like an earlier edition of Rimworld of Magic in terms of scope.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
You know you've really gone down the mod rabbithole when you start making compatibility patches for mods on your end.

Just spent almost 2 hours getting Animal Gear: Vanilla to work with all my dumb animal mods and patching in 205 new animals to support so I can use . I almost feel like I should throw it up on the workshop but since it was exclusively def edits and renaming PNG files I have no idea how to do it in its own mod.

At least I have a good workflow set up if I ever need to add more :shepicide:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I usually just deal with the speed malus because I'm lazy and hate micromanaging every time I get a raid.

Also I run Giddy-Up so it barely matters anyways as my Colonists are zooming around on Chocobos and poo poo anyways :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Change Dresser mod. Super useful; it lets you put all your clothes in a 1x1 tile storage item, it lets you manage outfits more easily, and enables designating a specific outfit for use while drafted. So I can have my guys in Anything or Worker, and then as soon as I draft them they swap to Soldier and are immediately in full armor.

Which, yes, a bit unrealistic and they really ought to have to make a beeline to the dresser first, but whatever.

Speaking of mods, any suggestions for an expansion of melee weapons that isn't gamebreaking? It's a bit stupid that the medieval longsword is somehow the peak of hand-to-hand technology.

Royalty adds a bunch of higher tier melee weapons.

Otherwise it really depends on what kind of mod you're looking for. Do you want melee weapons tied into a broader faction, melee weapons from other franchises, a mod that solely adds melee weapons?

Vanilla Factions Expanded: Vikings adds a bunch of high tier laser melee weapons (uncraftable) as well as stronger lower tier melee stuff along with Viking tribes who are somewhere between Tribals and Outlanders. The Rim Monster Hunter mod adds all the weapons from Monster Hunter as craftable with various strengths and weaknesses as well as 40 Monster Hunter monsters (Large Monsters and Elder Dragons are event spawns, small monsters work like normal animals). Heavy Melee Weapons adds a bunch of really high tier melee stuff but nothing between that endgame level and the normal game's stuff. Bloodborne weapons adds 16 Trick Weapons from Bloodborne complete with transformations and various abilities etc.

There's also a lot of mods that add in new melee bionics. Or Expanded Organs redux which lets you grow sword arms on your people.

Then there are the big overhauls like Adeptus Mechanicus: Armory which add in weapons from basically every Warhammer 40K faction which span the gamut from neolithic to ultratech.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 11, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

I wish people who make various alien races would at least consider designing them around being able to wear normal clothes too. I shouldnt need two crafting tables per race just to make equipment for everyone :cripes:

Honestly most of the races I've tried haven't had that issue?

I've done the Rim Effect races (Hanar and Geth are forced nudist, everyone else uses normal), Skaven ( normal), Xenohumans (normal), Hivers (limited headwear but its in vanilla crafting stations), Argonians (normal), Xenos Magos Biologis Ork/Grots/Eldar/Tau/Kroot/Ratlings/Ohgren (normal), Android tiers (normal), Automatons (normal), Faster Than Light races Rockmen/Mantis/Crystals/Engi/Zoltans (normal)...

The only ones that had any restrictions were the Gerzee who can wear very limited clothes and Ewoks from a 1.0 Star Wars mod I haven't used recently which now claims they wear normal clothes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I guess a mod that solely adds melee weapons? What I want is for the melee tech tree to not end before guns even get started, but instead keep pace with the rest of development. It's just weird and unsatisfying that I have ranged dudes in full power armor with plasma rifles, and my melee guys are in full power armor, with shield belts and... steel longswords.

Having a standing "yeah just keep 10 swords lying around, whatever" order and boom, all done forever, is boring.

Heavy Melee weapons is probably your best bet there then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks. I was hoping for something that uses game mechanics so Character Editor is out. There doesn't seem like anything that can transfer a character's soul/essence/qualia/engram/whatever between living bodies - just similar stuff for androids apparently - so my plan is to make a copy of my Greedy rich explorer starting colonist who is my best crafter and builder, and use her clone to keep doing work while the original gains noble ranks and becomes useless.

So here's my mod list:

I am mostly focused on cosmetic/UI enhancements and medical stuff. I was wondering about the following:

-A streamer I watch is doing a playthrough with mods and has one that gives the rarity text of items on the ground different colors for different rarities. Which one is that?

-Are there any (relatively balanced) mods that allow for cosmetic surgery to remove scars and ugly/annoying voice/etc. traits?

-Does anyone have any other recommended purely cosmetic or medical mods?

If you're playing with any animals I recommend Cyber Fauna which adds in vanilla like bionics/prosthetics etc for animals and ways to heal tails and poo poo that get cut off.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

silentsnack posted:

After a lot of attempts at trying to figure out how to trick the animal AI into not being completely useless when using the vanilla guard/attack routines, I've concluded that if you're gonna use pets offensively just use the Kill For Me mod, which lets you override their behavior with a semi-intelligent group AI that makes them gang up on their assigned target. Notably it has Alpha Animals/etc with ranged attacks stay at range and use their special attacks.

Also lots of options to avoid getting too overpowered too easily.

Seconding this, Kill for Me is fantastic. The one thing to keep in mind is that packs can only have one target at a time so if you have a lot of animals its definitely more optimal to put them in multiple groups so that you don't have 20 unite trying to kill one enemy at a time.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 17, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

How does that work? I've only ever had bugs spawn because my drilling angered them. I've heard of bugs showing up in mountains but I've just plain never had it happen before because I like to build on plains.

Also, this run is the first time I've ever ran out of stone. I had to drill for stone just to keep building stuff. Screw plasteel, I somehow have like 10k of the stuff. Just give me rocks

So hills/mountains have a special kind of roof further in called 'overhead mountain' which will drop rocks on you if the roof is unsupported. Insect infestations can spawn on any tile that's under an overhead mountain roof like any other raid if you meet a few conditions. High light level makes it more unlikely they spawn but the only way to guarantee they won't is to either have every overhead mountain tile at least 30 tiles away from any structure or have all the overhead mountain tiles be under 0 degrees F which prevents them from spawning.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hunt for Me and Kill for Me if you want to actually use combat animals in any capacity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Does anyone else feel like every win condition requires cheesing to pull off? Like I wouldn't even know how to begin holding off that many waves of enemies without cheap killbox tactics.

I guess it depends on what you mean by cheese?

Like personally hardening a position has been a thing since the dawn of warfare so its always a bit weird to me when people complain about choke points etc being cheap. They're a fundamental fact of physics.

Personally playing a game that works on wildly different physical laws would be fascinating but I think it would probably have more knock on effects than just getting rid of killboxes :v:

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 24, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I don't think I've ever built a nutrient paste dispenser, it always seemed so much easier to just make meals with a stove instead.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

jokes posted:

Why do they have faces? That seems so weird for some reason

There's a weirdly popular mod that does that.

There's other mods that add hands and super-cursed feet too!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Paid DLC or a patch? I don't play enough to toss another 15

Looks like both. The Ideology stuff will be in a DLC like royalty while the more general changes and fixes are rolled out in a patch

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Kevbo posted:

I have a pawn that I have assigned to handling who won't do it - tame, train, etc. - unless I manually force her to train or tame a specific animal. It's set to a very high (low number) priority but she will automatically do other lower (higher number) priorities while there are many handling tasks that need to be done. She is typically set to unrestricted zone and tames/trains animals when directed; she just doesn't seem to be following the priorities that I set for her. What should I be looking for to figure this out? I have a rather small colony right now and without her handling animals they're beginning to lose their training (our previous animal handler caught an unlucky raider bullet in the head...).

Post a screenshot of her priorities

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, but also keep in mind unless something has changed numbers above 100% don't do anything besides 100% worth of protection I believe. There were a couple mods a while back that changed this but yeah.

Uh, my understanding was that armor rolled a die between .5-1x its value for each hit - whatever armor penetration the weapon had to do damage. Which is why you can still kill dudes in Marine armor with crap weapons.

200% means you're getting at least 100% protection even on minimum rolls and is the max in vanilla and is how like Mechanoids are immune to heat damage iirc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vasler posted:

Is there any way to get rid of Alzheimer in pawns? My awesome crafter just came down with it (minor affliction) and she fucks off for a day+ at a time whenever she has an episode.

Healer Mech serum and don't have any other injuries?

I think also making sure the head is destroyed and then using resurrector serum works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ughhhh posted:

gently caress new dlc. this probably means all my mods are broken too :negative:

I just hit mass unsubscribe from 290 mods.

Some of which I had hosed with internally and forgot about and didn't keep proper backups :negative: