Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So I've just sent off a caravan to secure those weird rear end components you mine out of solid rock, through trade. Next thing that happens is the entire electricity circuit blowing up because of my audacity for using capacitors. Only at this moment, however, do I notice my folly. Half the people left in the base are pyromaniacs.

Now the fire rages out of control, etc. At this time some raiders decide to loot some fire as well. I'm now looking at absolutely everything being on fire. There are former-raiders-turned-into-human-torches, flaming piglets running back and forth, random things exploding.

At least that caravan can settle another place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Slung Blade posted:

Sounds like nothing of value was lost to me.

gently caress pyromaniacs.

Yeah, one of the literally lit the base on fire once because his advances got rejected by one of the crew. And everyone else was out there, putting out the fire, while we sauntered back to his bed. I WONDER WHY BRENDA DIDN'T WANT TO GO ON THAT DATE

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

gently caress, at least the dwarves wouldn't light up the fortress by themselves. It was usually me forgetting the melting point of magma vis-a-vis the flood gate's.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Found a nice little niche in the mountain with rich soil, right next to an ancient danger.

This has no overhead mountain, but is carefully carved to avoid it. Those ancient life pods has yet to see any use, but I think they're neat. Not seen: 5 protected geothermal plants; those burners are only there as a last resort of poo poo goes down.

The main problem is obviously lack of space, and people are getting pretty moody about it.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Why does the boomalope sleep next to your cryopods?

Why have you tamed a boomalope?

They keep self taming :(

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Some trader was willing to pay 40 a pop, so that's fixed for the time being :D

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Some important doctor man lost use of both hands and I had a power claw laying around, so in a pinch I installed it. He still has no use of his hands :(

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, you realise that this is a power claw?

While technically your doctor might have been able to do surgery with it, the chances of success would be... slim.

It's surprisingly efficient for manipulation. Given that it's not cruelly attached to a completely smashed lower arm.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Looks like his arm is shattered, so you put a robot hand on a ruined arm. You should still be able to get the power claw back if you just remove it. If you get your hands (ha ha) on a bionic arm that should get him able to haul stuff and do basic interactions, although his manipulation skill will still be bad until you get him two arms, so I wouldn't sign him back up for medical duty until then.

Yeah I get that, I'm only disturbed by the image of him hauling a power claw at the end of his shattered arm :(

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

picked up the game again after a long hiatus

one of the initial three colonists go berserk for some reason around the time i've finished the basic structures, stabbing the two others and then joining them in bleeding to death

5/5 goty

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Will people still smoke themselves to death on weed?

I'm still terrified of brewing beer, since last time everyone immediately got addicted and the base collapsed.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

drat, Muffaloes eat a LOT of haygrass! Tried to maintain 10 for some long distance iron trading, but they ate through 6000 units during winter and I had to slaughter half of them.

I did get some milk and wool along the way though.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

re: barns, is there any real reason not to keep all my muffaloes cooped up together with hay?

like, will impressiveness do anything, or is it all aesthetics?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

I usually stick with producing bolt action rifles until I can reliably make lots of late game gear.

Massed mosin-nagants have a certain quality of their own.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Growing Devilstrand without a dedicated hothouse is some serious bullshit even with year long growing seasons.

Cold snaps are the worst.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Why is such an extremely hardy shroom all that vulnerable to some temporary temperature shifts anyway?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

The mushrooms are described as being fragile, actually;

If anything, the weird part is that they need to photosynthesize.

egg on my face

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

So this is turning into an existential threat.

I already don't have the firepower to face them down, and they're reproducing like bugs.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Do you just not have any weapons or something? How can you not have the firepower with that many pawns?

Give them all guns, set up some bombs and turrets and a gun line, mow the fuckers down, retreat to new positions if they start getting too close.

You've got more than enough bodies to inflict some casualties each wave, and you look to have enough materials to spend some on turrets and bombs.

I did try a couple of times to lure them out into the pawns' range, but they're simply too many. The guys get overrun and slaughtered. Then the game mysteriously crashes.

I'm trying to get some IEDs ASAP, but I don't have any chemfuel right now.

e: I could try to spread the turrets out as to function as improvised IEDs when they get smashed...

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 11, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

When I had an infestation about that size and a much smaller colony I reinforced the walls around the area if it was thin, put a bunch of doors in a row, installed a bunch of wooden furniture, then sent in a few boomrats. I lured the bugs with the boomrats so that they'd explode and catch the wood furniture on fire. It raised the temp in the room to 500+ F and they all died.

Can't cook them unfortunately. The cave continues beyond the map border.

They are hollowing out the mountain.

e: the explodey turrety thingey worked! only a few arms and eyes lost

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 11, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Also, hunting is excellent shooting training. I assign every single gunner to hunting now, and the shittier they are, the more experience they gain from trying to hit rats.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

How do animals open beer bottles

Okay maybe monkeys but chickens???

very carefully lol

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Some people have talked about a mod that adds refrigerators, but it kind of seems redundant?
Even though the food will deteriorate in the cupboard, it constantly gets eaten and replaced from a larger freezer.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

I tried having panic rooms, but all too often the problem itself started in the panic room. Electrical faults, drop pods, or - if inside a mountain - infestations.
e: I've learned along the way to make all furniture out of rock or jade. Takes ages to build, but at least the entire rec room isn't on fire.
My thrumbofur armchairs will be my downfall this time, I'm sure.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 28, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also thrumbofur has the best sharp resistance of any clothing material, you should be making it into button-down shirts and pants.

otoh, decadence

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

I once had Tynan the Game Developer showing up in a slaver's stock. Lazy misogynist with no actual skills.
Pretty sure that wasn't completely random generated.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Sending out a two-man caravan to restock components, and my best pawn gets malaria and dies on the journey.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The next caravan was shot up with space-penicillin, and my goat caught the loving Plague.

e: Like, I get it Randy, travelling around in post-apocalyptic wilderness is not like driving down to the store - but the entire trip back and forth took less than 24 hours. The place is barely populated, who the hell is giving my goats the black death?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 5, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The quests are throwing uranium at me at ridiculous rates. I've already replaced all walls with uranium, and I'm using it for spike traps and whatnot.

Getting a bunch of plasteel is nice, since I'm going through that at a big rate, but I have no idea what to do with all this uranium.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Also, like a third of my colonists are missing a kidney. Is there some weird mechanic that calculates kidney failure, or just a bunch of lucky kidney shots?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You may be experiencing the same thing that was noted in the second world war, whereby engineers tasked with repairing aircraft noted a peculiar pattern in regards to where the bulletholes were located on returning aircraft. They were almost never located near the engines, cockpit, or tailplane.

The reason, of course, was that aircraft which were shot in the engine, cockpit, or tailplane, did not make it back to base for repairs. Similarly the kidney is a small organ located in the torso and you only need one of them to live, thus, surviving colonists will display a disproportionate number of lost kidneys, as ones that take a hit to the heart, liver, or stomach, are more likely to become dead colonists.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I've been replacing lost limbs with bionics over time, so most of the colonists are robocops by now.

Still, nobody is missing any lungs yet. Just a big backlog of kidneys that needs replacing.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Why can't you just pickle the vegs and salt the meat, or something. It's not like people starved to death every winter before electricity.

e: in vanilla, i mean

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

So am I right thinking that weapon quality matters a lot more for rapid firing weapons than single shot ones? A legendary minigun gets way more DPS than a normal one , compared to a sniper rifle?

I mean the 50% bonus to accuracy in particular.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Maybe on paper but something that hits like a truck will just do more terrible damage to whatever it hits. Also near 100% hit for say a charge Lance.

Charge Lances seems pretty useless against the big robobois weirdly enough. While I've never done a proper clinical test, even just arming everyone with LMGs seems to kill them more reliably.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm relatively new so please give me theory. More parts or less critical parts? but the LMG is the best.

tbh, I used to try to equip everyone with snipers or charge lances ASAP, thinking that they would shoot out important parts immediately. Then I tried to give everyone automatics, and it seems to work better, as expected, against human waves, but also against the centipedes. I have no idea, honestly. More bullets = better, I guess.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

My working theory is that getting peppered with bullets gives a lot more opportunities to land a deadly blow. The single shot weapons can easily destroy a single body part with massive damage, which might as well be to a left thumb, while endless hails of minigun shots will land lucky hits to the brain as a matter of statistics.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Asimo posted:

Bad mood is temporary, replacement organs are forever until some lancer snipes out the kidney again.

Making bionic organ replacements is a good mod. Makes the progress from crashlanded mooks to cybernetic western gods a lot smoother as well.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Depends on how much plasteel you've got available, with ground penetrating radar now being functionally unusable plasteel is a giant loving problem if you don't have some visible on your map.

otoh, quests will routinely throw thousands of units of plasteel at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Coolguye posted:

god i wish i could get one then >:C

rule nr 1 about quest rewards is that you don't get what you need at any given time

e: ama about getting millions of uranium until i actually needed uranium. loads of health serums tho