Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I finally got this after eyeballing on and off for awhile. My first colony was two middle aged nudists and a 700 year old medieval slave that all quickly starved to death due to my incompetence.

My second was a bit more interesting and consisted of a teacher, a vat grown super soldier turned Luddite rebel with a deep passion for busting rocks, and a miner born and raised. Things went rather smoothly for awhile, I claimed some ruins for a starting storage area, and built into the side of the mountain. This was occasionally punctuated by the occasional tribal raid, but nothing major, well aside from the time my miner got the absolute living poo poo kicked out of him by a tortoise. My miner also ended up being the first casualty, he died clearing away a small mountain area that was blocking my turrets line of fire when it collapsed on him killing him instantly.

Things continued more less as normal after that, even started improving, but I never managed to obtain another colonist. There were a few failed attempts at converting some captured tribals, but they're stubborn bastards, and I never seemed to have enough money when the slave ships came through. My super soldier caught the plague at one point, but it was a minor inconvenience because she quickly developed an immunity. Eventually the day I dreaded came about and my teacher/closest thing to a doctor came down with malaria. You see, when they grow soldiers they don't bother teaching them unnecessary things like medicine or basic human compassion. So every morning my super soldier would eat her breakfast while her only friend in the world slowly starved to death just a few feet next to her.

After the teacher passed a ship of some sort crashed near my base and would emit the occasional psychic pulse that would send the local wild life in a suicide charge at my front door. The pile of broken and twitching critters didn't seem to phase the soldier though. She was eventually shot in the gut by a stray turret round when she got caught outside during a stampede. It became infected, and she would spend most of her days lying in the medical bed. She didn't even really seem to care when the battery storage area blew and the base began to burn. At least until the flames reached her feet, and she suddenly kicked into high gear and frantically began trying to save what was left of her home. When she noticed a crowd of neighboring yokels that had gathered outside to rubberneck, something broke in her deeply. She charged pass the flames, ran outside, and blasted their mayors drat fool head off at point blank range with her rifle. She was of course immediately cut down by a rather impressive hail of gunfire, but honestly it was probably best that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Does anyone else use melee fighters? I've been keeping a small group with longswords and shields to support my shooters and they've been incredibly handy. I'll use them to strengthen my line, support shooters that are being swarmed, fight fires (do shields protect them from fire some? It seems as if it may buy I'm not sure), rescue people that have been downed in dangerous areas, hunt enemy snipers, and to break those Naked Gun style stalemates that pop up on occasion. I'll sometimes grab a few of them and send them into pirate camps at night to chop them up while they sleep, which they really excel at. I used three to wipe out a dozen strong pirate camp in a single night without a shot being fired. I also seem to have better luck using them to stop kidnappers, since a melee fighter will dog them to edge of the map with out having to be re-positioned.

I want to outfit them with cyber limbs one of these games so they can just blitz people and disengage without being pulled into a big ol' brawl.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I really would like to, but they don't even make good hunters. When I had a colonist with 18 melee and a high quality plasteel gladius get a foot bitten off while hunting *a turtle*, that taught me that dedicated melees are just not very good at all.

Yeah they are terrible at fighting animals for some reason, although strangely enough out of desperation one game I sent them in a suicide charge at some Centipedes and they managed to kill one and gently caress up a second real good before they were all downed or dead, which is a hell of a lot more than I expected them to do. This doesn't work against scythers for obvious reasons.

I started using them because I wound up with a bunch of colonists that couldn't shoot one game. You don't want them to be you're main force at all, and you need to use the buddy system with them, but I still think they make excellent support troops, and murder the poo poo out of enemy shooters if you can get them in a position to swarm them.

EDIT: Also in my opinion longswords are the only game in town. Even a lovely longsword seems roughly as effective as a really nice gladius.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 8, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Started playing this again after a long hiatus to check out the new update.

I had one guy have a soft break and start gorging himself on whatever was on the floor after he couldn't eat at the table. All I can picture is him walking into the dining area, seeing all the seats full and saying, "Oh, well I guess I'M JUST A loving ANIMAL THEN!" then getting on all fours and eating like a pig.

I had another guy get rejected buy a lady for weeks leaving both teetering on the edge, until out of nowhere she agreed to marry him. Way to go Wormie! Your love is like the mountain stream, gentle yet able to carve through the hardest rocks.

I also had a Molotov nail my turkeys during a raid which resulted in a bunch of flaming gobblers running around in the middle of a gun fight.

Game's still a blast. I'm excited about the caravan stuff. I always wanted a game where you can control a group of drug addled raider assholes, which seems like a thing you can do now.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
A pack of tamed Yorkshire terriers showed up at my base, so I gave everyone a pet puppy. It's been a black comedy ever since as they steady die off like clock work. They've been bitten by snakes, eaten by panthers (first day), eviscerated by giant bugs, reduced to ash by mechanical monsters, machine gunned, clubbed, blow up, irradiated, and my personal favorite struck by lightning while napping outside. Rimworld is cruel to the small and furry.

Now my artists crank out poo poo like this: