Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pigbog posted:

Okay so I can stop it from destroying my stuff, but will I be okay without trees? Can I survive on a map with no wood whatsoever?

Trees are a renewable resource if you can wait a season. They take a season to grow but don't seem to mind the cold. Set a big ol' farm plot to grow trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Did you want to just hunker behind some sandbags or something? The game regularly throws raids against you where the raiders outnumber you 5 to 1 and have better equipment to boot. I'm not sure what you expect, of course there's no way to beat that in a straight fight.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Best way I know to early-game fireproof your base is to build individual buildings and pave between them with the cheap concrete. If a fire starts one guy might lose his house, but the rest of the base is safe. Yes, concrete is ugly, but it's not very ugly, and just setting a couple tiny grow zones with a few rose bushes in it will more than offset any issues.

Panfilo posted:

My current colony is meant to be a for- profit penal colony but so far I haven't gotten anybody that buys prisoners. Time to "send some people to Zolem" I guess :getin: .

How do you handle all the bad prisoner sale thoughts?

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

There any good youtube tutorials or at least amusing series' you can recommend? Last time I played a game like this was Boatmurdered-era Dwarf Fortress and I'm not sure I have the patience for the sort anymore :v:

If you want good Rimworld entertainment Aavak has a good playthrough of the previous alpha here. Much of the details for that version and this one are the same. He has one for the latest version as well, but it's not complete yet and I generally prefer a complete playlist to see. He's very competent and explains most stuff, and you can learn how to manage units in a fight, manage work priorities, and things like that by watching it.

Also four minutes into episode 2 one of his colonists' fat volatile depressive mother comes running out of the wilderness wearing nothing but a hat and forcibly joins the colony.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 15, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ChickenWing posted:

Am I crazy or do pawns get a lot more "Incapable of"s? I haven't played much for about two versions or so, and it seems like it's gone from "an occasional annoyance" to "mandatory on any pawn with vaguely usable skills".

Also is there a list of all the backer backgrounds? I've only noticed a couple offhand because I'm bad at paying attention to fluff.

Also also I just lost my first Randy/Rough colony and you're all completely right, this is absolutely the way to go (despite how hard I got hellowned in the end).

I got so frustrated with all the incapables that I installed a mod that enables hauling and cleaning on everybody. Sure it's cheating blah blah blah, shut up and haul that rock, I don't care if you were a glitterworld umpire or whatever.

Yeah thanks to everyone who recommended Randy Random, this is a lot more fun. I just had a seige and a raid within one day of each other, but due to some luck and a lot of careful micro I've got a larder prison bursting with organs potential colonists.

Also a blight just destroyed all my crops so we're probably going to have to "release" some prisoners to get through the famine.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are prosthophobes / prosthophiles upset / pleased by low-tech stuff like peg legs, or do they only respond to bionic implants?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it possible to raise reputation with pirate factions? I released one back to them in good health, but nothing happened to our relationship. Of course I only did it because they were incapable of anything and had an annoying voice, so maybe the pirates didn't appreciate it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

a7m2 posted:

the enemy AI is pretty smart in this game. can someone post some good defense strategies that don't exploit weaknesses in the game too much? guiding them into a hallway is still fine but i don't want it to be like dwarf fortress where you just have a hallway of cage traps that will stop pretty much anything

I'm not sure what you consider "too much", because that's kind of a sliding scale, but a good early-game defense that isn't really cheesy is just a wall with doors in it every 5 or so spots (use stone doors, they're sturdier), with sandbags right in front of the doors. Stand a colonist with a rifle on each door shooting at approaching enemies over the sandbags. If enemies get too close or if the colonist takes too much damage, retreat them behind the door and send them to another door or to the hospital.

# = wall
- = door
s = sandbag

code:
####-####-####-####-####-####
   sss  sss  sss  sss  sss
You can make the defense stronger by chopping all the trees in front of your wall so that enemies can't hide behind them, laying down concrete in front of your sandbags and under your doors so that fire can't spread to you, moving rock chunks and mining away outcroppings to keep enemies from taking cover in certain spots, etc.

This is easy to set up no-tech no-power early game defense, so it won't work when you're facing late-game stuff where you're badly outnumbered and the enemies have rocket launchers, but it'll let you survive long enough to get to that point. It's pretty good vs. manhunter packs too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Refried Noodle posted:

I want to make a girl whose lifelong dream is hauling and cleaning poo poo.

The only things preventing you are 200$ and your sense of self-esteem.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah you gotta add walls along the sides so they have to run up to the doors from straight ahead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The heavy SMG is alright. It's not as good as the assault rifle, but it's way better than the pistol. It won't change anyone's late game setup of all charge rifles all the time (and maybe some snipers) but it's still worth using if you get one early. Nowhere near as useless as the minigun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's also a mod that removes the mood debuff that comes from literally stealing a living person's organs.

Mod authors are psychopaths.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Huszsersvn posted:

Those who can't fight can still be assigned to a supporting role as a mortar technician. Unless your base is burrowed in deep, they can still contribute.

You can also give pacifists a power shield and your strongest armor and have them run around in front of the enemy, distracting them while the other colonists fill them with lead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there a way to intentionally start a fire without a molotov or incendiary launcher? The pyromaniacs manage to do it all the time, but only on their own initiative it seems.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Gut worms can be cured by replacing their stomach with another one, and I hear it can also eventually go away on its own if you keep treating it, although it's a hell of a medicine sink. I do not know of a way to cure mechanites, but they also will go away on their own.

Panfilo posted:

It seems like its impossible to save a colonist dying of an infection if you don't get to it early enough.
Its extremely frustrating.

Yeah infections are a huge pain. The best way to handle them without enormous micro is to set up an "ER zone" composed of a bedroom (for the doctor), the hospital, and a small food/medicine freezer. When someone gets an infection, restrict the doctor to only that zone, and pump cleaning / doctoring tasks to priority 1. The doctor will have little to do so will automatically clean everything obsessively, and will see to treatment tasks right away. Once you get wealthier you can add sterile floors, vitals monitors, hospital beds, etc., and you'll be guaranteed to be safe from infection.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I have a constructor who has been nonstop hitting on this one girl for 2 years before suddenly out of the blue she accepted. He's such a good constructor by now he made a masterwork double bed for them. It depicts an empty duster moving to the right.

I don't really understand art.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

a7m2 posted:

yes. the first two options are really boring. also phoebe chillax is boring

yep. it's in the zone menu. also the sun lamp isn't intended for outdoor farms and i think won't do anything for you unless daylight never reaches 100% since plants don't grow at night anyway. unless you build your whole farm indoors of course.

Plants absolutely grow at night as long as they have sufficient light level and temperature. Putting them indoors just lets you control the temperature with heaters/coolers. Some biomes have significant temperature drops at night, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pyromancer posted:

Since when? In last patch they were just switching to "resting" for the night anyway. Just select them and see, it's a different state than growth being paused by low temperature/light.

Oh, I'm sorry. I had that mod installed from way back when and forgot about it.

I have a question about Expectations moodlets.

I just built everyone a sweet dining hall and everyone got sadder because they switched from the +10 Low Expectations to the +5 Moderate Expectations moodlet, which was absolutely not made up for by the Nice Dining Hall moodlet, which is only +3 and wears off a few hours after they eat. That's kind of trash. How am I supposed to keep people happy if trying to give them nice things just makes them entitled jerks? I'm not very experienced at this stage of the game - usually my colonies are dead by now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you increase yields with high-level growers or is it just a success/fail binary chance? When does the chance hit zero?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Goetta posted:

I have a good feeling about this prisoner duo I captured in the last raid

Of course Stench hogged the whole bed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It depends what you have to work with. Bugs are not that fast and pure melee so if you've got a few folks with charge rifles it's not hard to just shoot them all and then destroy the hives as long as you get right on it without allowing them to multiply like crazy. This is easier if you have a fast pawn (jogger trait, bionic legs, etc) to run around distracting the bugs while everyone else shoots them. As you discovered fire is very effective although kind of difficult to set up once the hive has already appeared. If they spawn in a room with an entrance kind of away from the hive you can build some wooden stools and micromanage your characters to put 6-10 stools into the room, running away before the bugs go nuts. Then you can chuck a molotov into the pile of stools and slam the door shut to let them all cook. Obviously this is no good if the door itself is wooden or if the bugs bore out of the room immediately.

I believe hives can only appear where the ceiling is "overhead mountain", so you might keep that in mind as you build your base. One thing I like to do is when digging an underground room, when I'm ready to remove the ugly stone walls penalty I'll dig out the walls and replace them with wooden walls. It removes the ugly walls penalty and if bugs appear in there, then you can just light the walls on fire and they'll all fry, since right beyond the wooden walls is solid stone, so a few wall tiles breaking won't let all the heat out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can set up a custom scenario which is identical to the default scenario, but with those random events disabled.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He's saying you should try to punch people down instead of shooting them since that dramatically increases the odds of a downing instead of a death. Whether or not such a thing is reasonable or feasible really depends on a lot of circumstances. It's easy to do when you outnumber the enemy and the enemy has only ranged weapons. It's basically suicide if the enemy has a mix of ranged and melee if you don't have numbers and melee skills.

It's usually pretty easy to punch the initial one-guy raid down, but if the storyteller decides its time for you to die and just chain raids you then there's not a lot you can do, especially early in the colony.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Insect meat also sells really well. You can modify your cooking bills not to accept insect meat or just set it to be forbidden if you want to save it for trade. Insect butchering is good.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It lets you build a manager's table and you can have a colonist use it to automatically assign tasks like designating trees for chopping whenever wood stocks fall below a certain level, or designating animals for hunting and wild bushes for foraging when food stocks are low, things like that.

I haven't messed with it myself, but here's the thread about it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Khisanth Magus posted:

So does this mean I should make a separate "meat locker" for the animal bodies I haven't butchered yet?

Honestly you can just pile animal bodies up outside. It's really unlikely you're going to have so many that you can't butcher them before they go bad. Butchering a freshly killed corpse and butchering a corpse that's 0.1 hours away from rotting gives exactly the same meat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Somberbrero posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I just started playing a day ago.

I finally got a colony actually running. No raiders with grenade launchers, food infrastructure is solid enough to last through winter, everyone has heating and cooling options in their stupidly large rooms, and my turret defenses please me greatly.

Is that all gone with the update? I guess my bad for having auto-updates on, but is there some option to update a save file or what?

If you go to the beta options you can activate v14 to go back to the previous version. Then turn auto-update off.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Turning auto-update off just lets you see when there's an update queued up, then if you don't want to update, you can set steam to offline mode before launching the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Rimworld is basically prison architect where the prisoners build their own prison.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I feel like that should be written across an edgy teen's livejournal

You don't understand, DAD

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nah, the incendiary launcher doesn't have that big an AoE. You're thinking of the centipede drone's Inferno Cannon, which cannot be obtained or equipped by colonists. Incendiary launcher's still great on bugs though. (assuming you are ok with losing everything in the bug room to fire).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Colonists can be outside for about half the day and it'll be ok. Check everyone every so often and make sure anyone whose buildup is more than Trivial has an indoor day. You don't want to push past minor - you can get permanent health damage from major toxic buildup, even if you go inside before it kills you.

If you have the power for it, consider trying to make a sunlamp powered indoor garden so that you can keep food production up. If you don't have the power for it, might be time to expand that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I swear chemical fascination is about the worst trait in the game now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Man now that characters can come pre-addicted to luciferium there's even less reason to ever grant sanctuary to random people begging for it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

NatasDog posted:

Also, can you tell your colonists to stop feeding meals to starving animals? That's one thing that kept this downward spiral at terminal velocity. Every time I'd get a little bit of food, my rear end in a top hat colonists would selflessly truck it over to my animal pens while their fellow colonists starved. I'd already slaughtered like 75% of my animals, but I wanted to keep a handful around in the unlikely case I made it out the other end of this fallout.

I haven't tried it, but I if zoning works the way I think it does then you could prevent this if you restrict the animals to one location and then assign your colonists to an area that excludes that location.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tamayachi posted:

Wow, how did I end up in this game

"Jogger"? Yeah, right.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Hah, take THAT bugs!

Even though 4 hives spawned altogether, the fact that they're in an isolated, DISTANT mineshaft means I don't need to worry about them for a long, long time.

The downside to this is when you DO have to worry about them, there will be approximately 1 billion bugs. Fortunately they're in a one-exit deep mineshaft, so you can just throw a bunch of flammable expendables in the entrance hall, block the exit with stone doors, and molotov the burnin' heap. The temperature inside should reach smelting levels.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Aleth posted:

I just have a psycho butcher.

Doesn't this still give all your other colonists the "the colony butchered a human" bad mood?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just set him to tame animals and have him tame everything on the map until a warg eats him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

IronicDongz posted:

I had a "wanderer joins if you defend them from invaders" event right after uncovering that, and I instagibbed one of them with the psychic lance inside the ruins

this lady's stomach is "destroyed", but they're still kickin it just fine

If you want to hire her, get her a "donor" stomach if you can. Missing stomachs mean they get very little nutrition from food, so they drain your stocks super fast.