Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm glad I came into the game after EPOE 2.0. I've been thinking of switching to Rah's, but I really don't want to lose this save. A group of pirates overcommitted to raiding my medical facility. They blasted into the adjacent greenhouse to get past the outer walls, but my colonists trapped them inside by going out the front gate and setting up by the breach. When they panicked, the pirates got mulched by automatic shotgun fire as they swarmed their tiny breaching hole.

Three pirates survived and were captured, one of them being Rebecca Edwards, nicknamed "Lynx." She was a spoiled child to a wealthy industrial colony manager, who was kidnapped and used in pharmaceutical experiments in her early teens. I reckon it was shortly after this that she fell in with the pirates, because she needs her weekly dose of Luciferium to survive (no doubt a side effect of the experiments). Enter Joshua Marjot, the colony surgeon and research genius. She's a lazy rear end in a top hat, but she knows an opportunity, and gave Lynx an offer she couldn't refuse; get chromed up, join us, and get to live, because where else are you gonna get those little red pills? In spite of the lab/doctor phobia, Lynx is a prosthophile.

Now I have the rimworld equivalent of a Street Samurai in my colony. She runs at 12c/s, has twin upgraded power arms, and fully synthetic organs. Every possible part of her body has been replaced with a bionic version, and her brain is implanted with a Painstopper, AI BrainBuddy, and I'm planning on installing an auxillary AI when I find one to spare (Marjot got the medicine one, and one of my other cyborgs, Gecko, has a construction one). If AI Cores didn't cause irreversible berserker rages, I'd slap one of those in her head too.

:awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Eh, a prostophile with that many upgrades is pretty much on a 24/7 super high.

She's also got Steadfast. I don't think she's ever had a mental break.

Well, there was that one time we were experimenting with the AI Core. Had to shove her into cryptosleep until we found suitable brain augs to replace it with.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, I mean, what exactly is it healing?

But if she already signed the red pact when you got her, then there's not much you can do about it.

That's the right answer. Nothing to do about it now, and with 71 doses in the medicine cabinet, I think I'll be ok. If not, there's always cryptosleep.

Viscous Soda posted:

Why only one synthetic rib?

I got lazy. When I start making yayo again, I'll swap her entire ribcage for coke sticks. I need to find a candidate for a trader though. I'm looking for a similar set of traits, but with good social, melee, and handling skills.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think I go way overboard on farming. I'll post screenshots of my base soon, but has anyone actually gone full grognard and calculated the most 'efficient' growing operation in growers per tile?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:patriot: :911:

Died because I thought I killed all the bugs, but there was a second hive.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Yesterday I learned that the Allow Tool mod can do that, and gobs of other really useful poo poo, it's one of the best interface mods available.

Allow Tool should be one of your first installs in my opinion. Hunt Everything and Mine Connected are the two most useful tools, next to Select All On Map. Ever want to find out where you forgot those deep drills at? Now you can!

edit: Because goons are loving awful people, I present my warg den.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 12, 2017

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azhais posted:

Just make the only exit from your prison the warg den

You might be on to something here...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So that borg I posted on the last page just took a doomsday missile to the face, and kept trucking like nothing had happened. :black101:

Danaru posted:

What's with you people and infestations? Get a guy with a large sword and a shield belt, park him in the doorway, then put three guys with guns shooting over his shoulder. Infestations are small time and free chemfuel :black101:

The only thing irritating about infestations to me is when they spawn multiple groups on opposite ends of the base, so that when you think you've burned out all the bugs, there's still a pack waiting to ambush one of your colonists down a long forgotten tunnel.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I've never seen this. It must be something with exploratory tunnels? I only mine out what i use, though my base is completely in rock for the smooth stone bonus (still dumb at +3)

I do get infestations on the regular though, and I'm happy for the free kibble and jelly delivery!

I think my base is just big.

The first one is the underground portion. The last infestation spawned three in the mining tunnels at the lower right, and three right outside the armory in the middle (red lights).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

Pathfinding in this game in general is really weird. I tried setting up a road through the jungle once and my builders kept walking the whole way out to the end through the tall grass with a fully built road one tile away the whole time. It was as if travel time wasn't even part of the algorithm, or pawns were reserving their whole path and only one person would use the road at a time.

I'm trying to figure this out myself. I have 'roads' set up between my fields to ease travel, but for some reason, even using the pathfinding mod, my pawns refused to take the longer, faster route around the healroot field and instead kept charging right through the field by the storehouse. Even after setting the field to hated and strong hatred in the mod.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As an extension to this, I always play in mountains because I like being a dwarf. I tend to build a sort of ramshackle colony on the outside of the breach into the mountain, and then I slowly dig out rooms according to aesthetics and utility, so I will dig out rooms I need but make sure to put them in pleasing places, the colony functions fine with the outbuildings but as I start to get rooms finished, I move things undermountain one by one. I can then dismantle what buildings I don't need.

As a mountain base still wants a walled courtyard for planting and pasture however, it is perfectly sensible to start fortifying the outbuildings as you would a normal colony with a perimeter wall and such, it's just that your actual base will be slowly migrated below the mountain over time. You can speed this along by changing your room use in the mountain too. I always start with an entrance hall because that's useful for defence and just generally handy to have, you can put guns in there or something later on or carcass dumps for your hunters. That big room tends to first be used as a bedroom because of the temperature effects and mortar shielding, then it gets made into a dining room because it's a big room that can fit tables once I get dorms sorted for people, then it gets turned into a storeroom once I get a dining room set up, then it gets turned into the actual entrance hall once I don't need it for anything else.

Even if your structures are permanent because you dug them out of a mountain, their function need not be.

That last bit also goes to the structures you build inside the mountain. Don't be afraid to build walls down there to redesign areas. Constructed walls have better beauty score than unshaped cave walls. Combined with the smooth stone floor, you can make very pretty bases in any way you like.

My advice is to consider the materials you are using. My hospital is entirely plasteel and sterile tiles, to give it that glitterworld medical center look. I'm also using glass doors from another mod. Don't forget you can change the materials used for furniture too. Said hospital also has plasteel medical beds, dressers, chairs, and the like.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I have a massive pack of wargs that are practically ablative at this point, and should probably just be killed/sold because they're loving useless as caravan guards and I could breed wolves/huskies to do the same thing. Unless there is some reason to choose wargs. Is there? Are they better?

fake edit: Ok, they are... but are they raw meat ahoy better? Choices.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 18, 2017

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

Wargs will hunt their own food if left outside IIRC, so if you've got lots of squirrels and stuff outside, you basically don't have to feed them

Gonna need a lot of squirrels.

Slime posted:

Feed wargs with raider corpses. They're basically just gonna be left to rot otherwise unless you have cannibals. If you do have a cannibal or a psychopath, have that person butcher human corpses to make kibble for your cute little puppies.

I do, actually. Problem is, since we made peace with the local tribals, meals on wheels has stopped delivering to my base.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

Path Avoid?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835555932

Spreading blight sounds pretty sweet. I wonder what the weather will be? We already have most of the normal stuff, maybe stronger storms or hail or something. Or crazy scifi weather like a hungry nanite storm or something would be fun.

The game is sorely lacking in city destroying tornadoes that made me fear storms in Banished.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've been lucky in that rainstorms wash out the fires before they cause significant damage most of the time. My colony right now is in the "late game XCOM" mode where little can credibly challenge you outside sectopods doomsday missiles.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

I think I found a solution for this issue, just don't completely fill it with fuel. I'm going on two reloads now and it seems to work, so hopefully I'm good now.

loving fantastic mod, I love dispatching a shuttle full of armored goons to an item cache. I need to try trading next.

Because I cant choose a landing zone when moving to an unexplored map, I've taken to launching my assault squad via drop pod, then sending a support crew with food and medical supplies for "cleanup" via dropship.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah this totally works, send out the ship to 1 tile away from destination, then launch a guy via pod to the edge of the target map, then go back to the world map and tell your ship to land wherever you want.

Fuckin rad.

Yeah, that's how I handled a crashed ship anomaly from the tactical computer. Dropped "Chimpanzee" in via pod, then had the actual commando team come in via ship afterwords. Scooped up 5 people; 3 from the ship, and two from an ancient danger on the map.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Anyone heard of a mod for exporting your pawns from one save into another save? I want to have an "all-stars" playthrough with the best from my 20 year old colony, and also have new mods installed. My current save is such a hodge-podge of things that I am not even sure what I'm using anymore.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Dropship stability has been good for me since I stopped completely filling the fuel tank. I keep it at 1400-1450 or so now and no issues. I don't run nearly the same level of population you do though.

Also I always take a few dozen survival meals, fifty med kits, two hospital beds, and a selection of sleeping bags (from the tribal essentials pack). I like to fly in, clear the place out, bury the corpses and loot the map thoroughly before leaving. Usually means we're staying at least over night.

A couple of my power armored "ambassadors" usually get bruises or cracks in their bionic limbs when we drop in for a visit so I like having basic medical supplies and facilities on hand to tend to that while I strip the map of anything easily accessible.

Mining out all the visible component veins being priority #1. That usually nets me as much value as the reward for whatever mission we dispatched for in the first place.

Also hitting "claim" on the turrets once the pirates turn tail and start to run never gets old. Especially if they're still in range of it :getin:

More or less my strategy. I've given up on packing meds with my crew; my away team's medic is at Medical 20 and has an Auxillary AI for medicine. Combined with bionics everywhere else, I don't think I've seen her tend with less than 60% quality with no meds.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

R&D had me wondering if there was a cure after the first time I got that quest and it didn't pan out. In an outpost attack a few days after, a pack of 5 pills dropped. :toot:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That kinda sounds OP as gently caress. Way to negate the entire Devil's bargain point of luci.

Welcome to mods, though when I had 300 luci pills sitting in the medicine cabinet, it is functionally the same thing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dejawesp posted:

Repeatedly installing and removing peg legs until the subject expires is an excellent way to train your doctors. Especially if you have patients to spare :science:

"Is that anesthetic?"

"...yeah."

"It looks like grass clippings."

"Yep."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One of my arts featured a taming with "prairie dogs looking on in disgust" regarding the taming of a timber wolf. It's often nonsense, but it's funny nonsense.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rimfridge is a good addition if you're going that route. You can use it to store your chef's meat and vegetable supply right next to the stove and have it never go bad. My setup has a fridge for each type of cooking material in the kitchen, and then walk-in freezers to store overflow with lower priority. Add a distance limit for collecting ingredients, and my cooks never leave the kitchen except to butcher.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Thanks for coming, if you would just step into our welcoming chamber for the customary greetings ceremony, thanks. What's that? Oh it's not for us, we'll be right outside. Won't take a moment.

TheObserver posted:

You reminded me that for all the vast wildlife the game has, it doesn't let you train mules for battle.

That makes me sad. :(

??? ?

What's the reference here?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Manbearpig is real. I have no idea how good this is since I think it might go bonkers with the animal collab project, but who knows. I'm sure you enterprising madgoons would love to splice together a Muffaboom.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thefluffy posted:

you do know that this will be used to justify furries in rimworld right? :v:

Already been done mate. Haven't you read the lore about how all intelligent "alien" life is really just bizarre human offshoots? Runaway glittertech is some bad poo poo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The dream of being able to send your colonists into space and crash them on a new sadistic hellhole is now a reality. Behold, "gently caress, not again." This one is fresh.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

Is it just me or are mortars insanely good.

Step 1: Build N-2 mortars, where N is the number of colonists you have
Step 2: Build an assload of mortar shells and have a roofed mortar shell stockpile right next to your mortars
Step 3: Turn Hold Fire on
Step 4: During peace time, Man all of the mortars (so that they are loaded), then go back to doing whatever
Step 5: Once you get a raid or siege or ship or ???, man all the mortars again (already loaded) and hit pause
Step 6: Target all mortars to the same spot and then turn Hold Fire off.
Step 7: Unpause and watch the show.

Because of the natural spread of mortar shells, targeting the same spot will put a pretty even distribution of fire when you launch all mortars at the same time. Throw in some incendiary in there as well, and one or two volleys will do some pretty significant damage.

The 2 people left from "N-2" are people you send out to either distract and keep them in place or to chase them down when their will has been broken.

Mortars are great and in my opinion a must have once you get to the later stages. My original colony is squaring off against groups of 100+ pirates at this point, so artillery is a must have. It's also amazing for tribals and manhunter packs if you can manage it right. Any "prepare for a while" event is perfect mortar fodder.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You can always set up a bill to maintain a certain amount of them, or just trade for them. It's about the only thing weapon merchants are good for once you have a good crafter.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

I'd love a way to just exile people. Like yeah I'll save you and all but no you're not living here if you refuse to do both dumb AND skilled labour. I guess I could just hand them over to Dagon but I try to only direct unspeakable horrors at people who attack me first :( I'm nice if you're nice

The Brainwashing mod is fun for that, if you like to imagine no middle ground between letting your colonists be themselves and using mind altering drugs to unweave their very identity.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

New Butt Order posted:

Drugs are also great if you run the Hospitality mod. When people visit your colony, you can trade away as much silver as you want because you'll get it all back as they blow through the drugs and have a rager of a party. Then they'll have such a good time that they'll be back more frequently, which keeps the cycle moving regularly forever.

My colony's primary function is maintaining a very popular mountain resort. I even gave up on a prime Geothermal spot because it ruined the view from the patio dining.

Mine was originally going to be a mountain fortress. It ended up having some kind of underground Trump Tower thing going on. Gold pool tables, gold dinner tables, gold vases, gold floors....

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"gently caress, not again."

Today I sent five of my 50 colonists from my first save back into space. Five of the best; Mobius, Jigsaw, Gecko, Alyona, and Tucker. It wouldn't be Rimworld without crashing them into another forsaken mudball. Of course, the motley crew has a variety of enhancements already, given that they came from an end game supercolony. That said, Randy is taking the reins and is cranking the difficulty to extreme. And while they had the typical crash landing loadout, they were butt-rear end naked. Apparently the bastardized cryptosleep caskets they put together couldn't handle that.

The first gently caress-up came when I forgot that Mobius left home with a Luciferium need. "Serious illness? What?" Fortunately, the ancient danger on the new map was out in the open, so her and Jigsaw cracked it open, found no mechanoids, and carefully took the little red pills without disturbing the caskets. Later, peace talks began between my budding colonists and a local tribe. I was sure it would be a trap, so I naturally sent Mobius on her own as the most experienced of the five. With her trusty Lee-Enfield and a pair of giraffe-skin pants, she managed to not piss off the natives and get home safely.

So far, the first 10 days on this planet have been uneventful. Everyone is pretty happy, and there's enough food to eat lavishly. Eagerly awaiting the horrific fates no doubt waiting to befall these poor sods.

edit: Immediately after posting this, I had my first red event. A manhunter pack, consisting of one... hedgehog?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 1, 2017

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alternatively, go the other direction and add mods that make Mechanoids loving terrifying and add OP factions. Thats one of the things I like about Rimworld; when you run out of content, the mod community has enough that you can just go download more.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

New Butt Order posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun figuring out defenses while doing a "no electricity" run. A handful of guys with automatic weapons and devilstrand can hold off an infinite number of tribals, but dealing with more advanced problems got pretty hairy.

Forcing yourself to actually risk your people makes the game more dynamic too, since unless you're using a mod to increase population, every one of your colonists has a mission-critical job that you have to try to fill in with subs (who still have their own jobs too) if they get wounded or worse. Hope the only person who can plant healroot didn't catch one in the head.

Ultimately this is how I feel. My Randy Extreme colony just had a very hair raising experience with a psychic ship. I had to rush some higher tech stuff because I have 7 colonists, but 3 are pacifists with very high skills. Every time I tried to engage the ship, someone would get geeked by the mass of Hounds, Kraken, and Scorpion mechanoids (I play with the Mechanoid mod that adds additional flavors of bots). Maybe if I was building a fortress-style superbase like my last run it would have been easier to deal with, but my colony looks more like a wild west watering hole right now, so setting up an impromptu defense line with the Rimworld equivalent of an anti-tank emplacement was the only option I had to even the score. And even then, it was close.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Which bionics surgery mod do people recommend? They seem so similar and I don't want to go through a whole few games to test them out.

I'm an EPOE guy myself. It does make you hoard uranium like no ones business though. Energized components are expensive, and if you want the high end parts, you need tons of uranium and hyperweave.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBSE and Cyberstorm both do craftable cybernetics. I think Cyberstorm has a patch for both RBSE and EPOE.

Day 97: The Federation Arrives. Via drop pod, of course. The landed at the perimeter and prepared for a bit, giving me some time to fill sand bags and set up some gun emplacements. The fun thing about Rimsenal factions is that they tend to do a much better job of presenting mixed-threat attacks, with beefy meatslab melee troops to absorb damage for ranged damagers and massive siege units. Specifcally, they brought two "Peacemongers," giant robot-esque things with AOE plasma cannons. The initial wave of shock troops proves to be enough of a distraction to force my defenders--4 heavily armored militia--back from the primary sandbags into the alleyways leading into the town center. This is a blessing in disguise, as it forces the opposing force into narrow corridors, giving my short range high ROF carbines the advantage over their longer range crucible weapons.

Once the infantry were eliminated, the afore mentioned Peacemongers are easy to deal with, since their weapon is powerful but slow, meant for sieges of stationary targets. Now I have a bunch of high tech components that could be used to make some very flashy weapons.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RE Population: Time really IS the only factor. Anything else is just adding or removing time. If you're leaving after 2 years, no poo poo you don't get many colonists. It took me about 5 years before my 50 person colony started ramping up, and I only reached that number somewhere between 15 and 20 years in. And everything in this game is conditional. If your map has lots of buried uranium, it is super easy to use mods like EPOE to make god-colonists. If you have no plasteel/gold easily accessible, you might be stuck with pre-multi analyzer technology for a long time. (In my latest game I had to get plasteel and gold by melting down captured equipment in order to get enough to build a multi and research deep drilling.)

Coolguye posted:

IF you get the events, IF you get the prisoners, IF they are recruitable in a practical sense, IF you get the slavers (also, slave merchants are progressively less likely to carry colonists the further over the soft cap you are), there's a hundred and one conditions in your scenario here and you don't even seem to be aware of them. a fractional percentage means you need 200+ recruit attempts to get a success and he imposed cooldown on attempts means that this will take literal years, statistically. "It happens eventually" does not jive with the numbers here, which is the point. these games are serious anomalies and it consistently surprises me that this is what gets passed around.

So yes, conditions matter a lot in RimWorld. Ever notice that "intense" difficulty adds "and a dose of luck" to the requirements to survive? Furthermore, you're calling foul on people reporting their curated, exceptional successes? Are you mental? What do people post on Instagram? Their $0.00 bank statement or avocado and toast?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

The outposts often have turrets and solar generators which are nice to take apart for components, and they've got some minor supplies (I thought I've found up to glitter meds, but I forget). The first pirate base I assaulted was partially burrowed into an ancient danger with humans in cryptosleep caskets so I totally thought that was a thing at pirate bases.

I've just been hoarding the rocket launchers (both kinds) "just in case" but I've never come across what exactly I was waiting for. Yet.

I think I posted about a base raid where when my assault team arrived, we already heard fighting. Turns out the outpost was a mountain complex that had dug into a danger. When we arrived on the map, the danger activated, and after shooting some pirates that were fleeing the base, we found the inside to be about 500 degrees from all the fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

I think that's under the Handling job? So, whoever your animal person is, make Handling their highest priority.

ALSO if your Handler is incapable of violence, they won't slaughter. :eng101: