Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just started playing the game. At landfall I don't know how to build stone walls. Is that a thing I can research?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aha! Didn't know I could do that. What tab is that under?

Is convincing prisoners to join the group my only early-game way of adding pawns?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Do pawns reproduce?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sometimes a guy really, really needs a pedicure.

:rip: So, okay, how does a beginner deal with mad animals? Just hiding until they get over it doesn't seem to work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there a way to make Rimworld tell you how many squares are in a zone?

e: Wow, you know what makes a great raider trap? When one of the entrances into your home area leads through a spider cave.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 14, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

When you're creating a game you can define the size of it in squares, each full map will have that many.

Now how many of those squares are buildable? That's another question and not one you can easily query.

My problem is that I've built a room with a zone, it has irregular boundaries, and I want to know how much space it contains.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Zore posted:

Unless the zone is really labyrinthine and winding you should be able to just take the biggest rectangular area and find that by multiplying its dimensions then adding the additional ones.

Like, how big is this zone and what is it for?

What happened is that I had an irregular hole in the edge of a mountain, I hastily walled it in, refrigerated it, and began using it for refrigerating food. Sounds like my best alternative is just to chip it out to be regular.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I thought there was a maximum size for a freezer past which one cooler isn't enough.

Halp! I have a downed pod victim, but I can't find the affordance for rescuing them. Right-clicking the body doesn't work, and I don't see anything on their bio tab.

e: Changing my spare bed to a medbed did the trick.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 14, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Once I have a base with fields, bedrooms/kitchens/freezer/research & craft room, and I'm well-stocked on food & ingredients, what should I expand to? Should I be setting up caravans, or are there standard things I don't know about I should be working on?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I meant really short-term. Like, it's summer Year 1, I'm stocking up on food and warm clothing, what else should I be doing?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This hour's Valuable Lesson: the combination of an asthmatic doctor and two pawns who cannot do Doctor is doubleplus ungood.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My base just got a dry lightning storm followed by wildfires. Too soon, dude.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Leal posted:

Is your sky also orange and ash constantly falling everywhere?

Yes to the first, but I use f.lux.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Which 1.2 video?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does your barn full of cows produce milk?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What's you guys' preferred method of spacing out housing in the early game? Duplexes? Individual cottages? Single buildings with room dividers?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So the build order is barracks/food complex, barriers, a structure with a room per pawn?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there any way to keep wild animals out of my fricking freezer?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Piell posted:

If they're going in through a door (without smashing it) they probably aren't actually wild (or you're leaving the door open for an extended time period). Check your animals tab, something probably tamed itself.

That mechanism is a pain far, far more often than it's useful. I had a family of six terriers move in, followed by three Labs who promptly had puppies. I tried letting them starve to death, but the pawn who had high animals kept feeding the little bastards.

e: I've been making my first structures out of abandoned ruins that have steles in them, sometimes moving out of the center to get there. Is there a disadvantage of this?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 29, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From the standard three-cryopod start, what order do y'all usually research technology in?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

The best way to hunt is to periodically draft everyone in the colony capable of holding a gun and massacre all the wildlife that will fit in your freezer. There are a few animals that never fight back that you can auto hunt but for the most part it's not worth it to try hunting that way.

A good tip I got from this thread earlier is that when you kill a large animal that gives more than a stack of meat, leave the corpse in the freezer. Butcher it only when you need the meat and you save space in the meantime.

How do you set up priorities so that this happens?

e: Also, how much of and what crops do you plant in the first two quadrums?

My current colony started out with nobody having >5 construction, which meant no coolers. Not making THAT mistake again.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 31, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, outside my current base visitors keep having gunfights. I am good with this, because I harvest the supplies of the dead and patch up the living and send them on their way, but what would cause this? Did I just pick a territory situated just right between enemies?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have a pawn wandering around with no left leg, but I can't install apeg leg in her Health bills. However, earlier I had a pawn with a major infection, and I could install a peg leg on him under his health bills. Can you install a peg leg only before amputation?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do you have the 1 wood needed to do the operation?

Bingo to both of you; I'm out of wood. Thanks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Replace Stuff -- do not play Rimworld without it! Automates the tear-it-down put-something-else-in cycle so you can just put a door in a wall, walk away, and rest assured that the dupes won't have left that gaping hole there because you forgot to come in and put back the new thing.

ZITools: Trying to figure out where that tiny weapon your character dropped on account of being nearly dead is? Pop up the search window and put in its name. Also handy for when you're starving to death and want to figure out where the animals are. You have to get this one from Github. https://github.com/MaxZiCode/ZiTools

Avoid Friendly Fire: What it says on the tin.

No Forced Slowdown: Tired of waiting for real-world minutes because somebody's attacking from the bottom left of the screen? Here's your fix.

Heavier-handed:

EdB Prepare Carefully -- keeps you from rerolling initial pawns for an hour. You can set it to enforce having no more character points than the pawn originally had. I use it light-handedly; I reroll only the drawbacks field until it's at the same points but isn't a pyro/etc. I don't manually set anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can anybody help debug why a prisoner would be sleeping on the ground and not in the bed marked for prisoners?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nope, they're missing a single toe.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yip. The only thing any of the colonists can do is strip them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Is the bed marked for medical?

BINGO! Thank you. Driving me nuts, that was.

Is there any reason ever to break into what looks like an ancient ruin? Do they always contain mechanoids?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does there exist a mod that lets you specify that a zone can only contain objects at N% functionality or less? I want to create a trash storage area full of ruined clothes waiting to be resold and ruined weapons waiting to be reforged.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

You can set durability minimums and maximums in stockpiles. I typically have a tainted, a tattered, and a low quality pile and set em on fire regularly. You can also make a one person caravan with some pack animals, and just dump all your garbage on the world map.
Where is that UI? I couldn't find it. Also, how do you set things on fire? I wanted to do that to a blighted field but couldn't figure out how.

I am untrue to the spirit of Rimworld because once a game is obviously on the spiral to death (e.g. pawns have the wrong skills to make it through winter, and it's fall) I quit and move on. Yesterday, in the spirit of adventure, I left a game with three pawns bleeding out, including the Man in Black, to see how long it would take to end. It took too drat long, so I mercifully deleted the save.

Does anybody know a good tutorial on setting up base defenses? I always mess that up and wind up either confronting enemies outside the base (bad) or getting everybody killed inside the base ( also bad).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Rimworld base defense is about maximizing your own forces while minimizing the enemy’s as much as possible. Any design that tunnels enemies to one spot accomplishes this. The idea of having a town ringed with small clusters of sand bags like you might think a RL colony would do is wrong.

You want to have your entire settlement lined with a wall. In this wall, you’ll have doors distributed around, that’s fine.

The important part is that in one or two places, you put a 1-2 wide (or so) gap in the wall. From that gap, you make a corridor that’s also 1-2 wide that switchbacks once or twice before ending in a turn that opens to the colony. At that spot I put doors I can close in case of manhunters. Otherwise I Leave them open so sappers aren’t the only thing that spawns and the enemy actually goes through there instead of bashing down the wall.

What this does is funnel enemies, allows you to put traps in the corridor, and allows you to put static defenses where the enemy exits while providing them little to no cover. Don’t make the tunnel too long or out of the way, or enemies will go for walls.

How do I keep my dupes from going through the switchbacks and triggering traps?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Katt posted:

Your pawns know where the traps are and so step over them.

Heh. ONI player accidentally exposes her hand. And I didn't know pawns recognized traps!

e: Coolguy, I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing that; do you mind posting a screenshot?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

silentsnack posted:

If you end up making a ton of areas you might want RIMMSQol which lets you make separate zones that are only relevant for humans or animals or both, and just disable all of the features you don't want.

I read that as RIMMSQL and was frankly terrified of the modders.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I also like building traps out in certain wilderness paths; if you know what paths raiders are taking you can take out a few of them by just putting traps in the right spots.

I once got a major pathway to my base running through an ant cavern. It was awesome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Is there a mod that makes inventory items and weapons... not... suck? Like, instead of pixel-hunting every loving square of the map to find where my guy randomly dropped his weapon when he got sick, I'd just... have a list of what clothes and weapons I had in storage, and maybe it'd be easy to assign them to guys?

Secondary question, why do I need to hunt down a goddamn mod for that?

I approve of your username very much. I use ZiTools for all my "pixel hunting sucks" needs. Not only will it help you find all the tools some dying idiot dropped, it will help you find edible corpses that the predators didn't finish, invaders you've lost track of, and all the living animals on the map. The last one is especially important in late winter when you're reduced to eating raccoons. You'll have to get it from Github; it's not on Steam. https://github.com/MaxZiCode/ZiTools/releases

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Thank you! May I ask why, though? It is a reference, but it's an oblique one I don't expect people to get.
I'm a musicals geek.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there a way to move a prisoner from one cell to another?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there a mod that zooms to a pawn's location when you click its icon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In the vanilla (well, including Royalty) game, pawns do get a major mood boost for "recreation needs completely satisfied".

e: In my current save, I inadvertently picked a mountainous boreal tile with river; I usually go with hills. It's interesting to see how I have to play to make the most of the arable land. Sadly, both my good miners got killed early on.