Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I watched a few people play the game and just setting a line of blasting charges between the raider spawn and your base made it possible to take out huge groups of them as they walk past.

Really looking forward to getting this but waiting for more content, I learned my lesson with FTL its much easier to burn out on a game if you overplay it when its just basic systems because each game starts to feel samey a lot quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, DF has some amazing systems and you wish other games could do them as well but then most Devs aren't willing to become hermits like Toady to realize their dream game.

If you want a bit more gameplay before you buy this guy has some decent lets plays of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Blitzkriegsler

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
The only problem I see is the Turrets in the blender room may be a bit too close and set off a chain reaction once the first one dies.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Its a bit convoluted but the wiki is decent at explaining some of the mechanics.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Beauty
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Thoughts

But the basics of beauty are that you need finished walls and floors, large rooms, plants, and to keep everything clean.

For the Spacious Interior happy thought a room needs to be 26 open squares. For bedrooms with a Bed, Lamp, and Plant you need to make it at least you need to make them 29 squares because any object you can walk over reduces the space by half a square so 5x6 is the best setup for rooms with a normal bed.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I saw a great setup on the game's forums that was just 4 small rooms in a series with a turret in the middle of them, the enemies would rush into the room to start shooting the turret and each room anyone not killed by the turret shooting them was severly injured or killed by it exploding.

Another cool little option was turrets in little bunkers, the bunker makes it dark so its harder to shoot the turret then at the front or sides you want them shooting out of you put a crafting bench which can be shot over but prevents anyone from rushing into melee range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
One of the best defenses I've seen with turrets involved a couple 7x7 rooms with a turret right in the center. Raiders charge in and get shot and once they finally kill the turret if it doesn't wipe them out they all take lots of blast damage. Put 2-4 of these rooms in a row and you can clear very large tribal waves.

And if you haven't heard production tables while they provide no cover can be used to prevent enemies from charging it looks ugly but you can build a defensive tower analog.