Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have yet to find a single use for gold except for when I want to build an underground bling vault to store the hearts taken from captured raiders as a sacrifice to H'oochin-ikwa. Some people say blood sacrifice doesn't work but I have yet to run low on potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Swedish Horror posted:

All my games seem to end up with my colonists eating the dead. For reference, that graveyard outside was full. I had four colonists, but one took a shot to the head in a massive raider attack and died. She was also my only doctor and had 15 medicine, god help my colonists if one of them gets the flu. Dan up there almost died too, because an incendiary mortar shot landed in my base and nearly burned him to death.

Father Winter might seem cruel, but drat he keeps the corpses fresh

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a Careful Shooter with a minigun get swarmed by tribals the other day, he had a clear shot from max range but STILL didn't manage to aim it before the tornado of shivs and clubs hit him. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really wish there was some kind of stun weapon, my colony is so good at killing invaders that I have no one to capture :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Alaan posted:

Conduit walls seem to be missing now.

Edit: Apparently you just build them on walls now.

Can you build them on doors? I hated having to build autodoors to keep the network going.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bondematt posted:

Yes, but that's been in since at least A8 and probably earlier, same with building cable into existing walls.

It's just always been a thing since I started :shrug:

Huh, I never actually tried it, I just remember in A8, normal doors had cable automatically, and in A9 they suddenly didn't :saddowns:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Moridin920 posted:

I haven't played in a couple updates but that mod that lets you build robots has a cleaning robot that I use just for that purpose. Cleans 24/7 except for when it returns to its charging pad to refill the batteries.

What mod is this? I desperately need an army of roombas for my prison/kitchen.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Considering wood is absolute trash as a building material from a defensive standpoint, I don't feel like having infinite wood unbalances anything. Makes for nice floors though :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Flesh Forge posted:

It was a little less annoying last alpha because you had to actually strip stuff in order to collect equipped items but now you get buried in rubbish gear unless you actually bury corpses forever.

I was super pumped to be buried in rubbish gear until I realized it was balanced to take like five tribal togas to get one silver. :smith:

It's also a pain because it counts every "condition" of an object as a separate object, so there can be 7 different "wood" on the list.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait, enemies won't attack walls? I've been designing bases around natural walls because I thought enemies would attack player-made ones, but not natural rock. :(

At least my mountain fortress still looks cool.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tommofork posted:

• Damage doesn’t affect market value or apparel armor until it is down to a certian percentage.

Thank gently caress

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I got worse once the bulk traders started buying human meat and human leather. I don't even use cremation anymore, I just chop them up and toss them into the freezer with the beacon in it.

It does mean I get to use 100% of the invaders though, they're getting sold either as slaves or separately.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Yousomuscle posted:

I'm currently watching my colonists eat frozen, raw potatoes rather than put them into nutrient paste hoppers. Can anyone please help explain why they're this retarded?

Check the priority of your hoppers, if the stockpile is a higher priority, they'll never load the hoppers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Inacio posted:

And now to wait for EdB Interface to be updated. Dangit!

I legitimately can't play without EdB Prepare Carefully anymore. The randomized characters are just always so awful :(

Especially in the new version, I find they're either unable to haul, or their only good skill is social.

Surprisingly, Glittertech updated almost right away, which is odd because it took months for them to update to 11. Glittertech adds a bunch of really OP but also really expensive stuff, it feels like it adds a whole other tier of progression. It might not be for everyone, but I love it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

IAmTheRad posted:

That being said, is it wrong to butcher humans and then use their meat to train my beasts?

I honestly haven't buried a corpse in forever, they either get used for training, or sold off. There must be entire civilizations of cannibals considering how willing bulk traders are to take the stuff off my hands.

Also FYI human leather clothing is a drat good money making product.

I think I'm the bad guy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OwlFancier posted:

The newest redistheat version has some nice small coolers and duct-based coolers which will allow you to maintain a steady temperature more easily.

It also looks boss, things go on top of walls now.

I've never played with redistheat before, and now I can never imagine playing without it again. Holy gently caress does it make temperature regulation so much easier. Just in time for my -34C average temperature colony

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tias posted:

I was shooting for Deliverance, but any port in a storm!

There's a flaw in my plan, though, as others will join me eventually. Will colonists become accustomed to/like cannibalism if they do it often enough?

If they don't like the food, they can become the food. :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mister Adequate posted:

I just had some Maine Coons join my colony in a random event.

Eight of the fuckers. They're going to eat me out of house and home :psyduck:

There's a problem that could resolve itself :chef:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:shepface:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You don't even have to eat the stuff, bulk traders will buy it up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

How the gently caress does this planet work

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamus posted:

If you're on a moon of a much larger planet eclipses will happen occasionally and could last for a while depending on how slow your orbit is.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that

I've been awake for many hours

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I once had a sapper decide to mine through a cliff to get to the unprotected side of his base

It was a good idea until my dudes got over to the tunnel entrance and filled it with bullets :v: they had nowhere to run, shortest 8 man raid I've ever seen

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh good there's a mood debuff colony-wide for butchering a human :sigh: can't get away with nothin' anymore

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just had the father of two of my colonists show up as a pirate, figured I'd try to recruit him, but his daughter ended up blowing his head off in one shot.

The first time one of my colonists has deadly accuracy :smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh my god the TV now shows you exactly where to put the seating for people to watch :allears: I've NEVER been certain of whether it had to be directly in front

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Butchered a raider for meat to train my bear with, turns out colonists NEVER forget who did the butchering, since the married couple murdered him in a cave like a season later :stare:

EDIT: Is there any way to cure gutworm, the increased hunger I can deal with but it's getting difficult to keep up with the vomit carpeting my colony

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 10, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Has the amount of negative random events skyrocketed for anyone else? The toxic fallout and diseases I can deal with, but unless my energy grid is made out of nitroglycerin it shouldn't be exploding this god drat often

I miss that mod that included fuses :smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can't wait for Prepare Carefully to be updated. Clicking random until I get a colonist that isn't an asthmatic with dimentia incapable of anything but melee fighting is suffering :smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Spaseman posted:

What dictates the location that caravans wait at when visiting your colony? Because right now they all stop right on my crop fields and their rear end in a top hat animals eat through all my crops.

I'd love to know this too, the assholes keep standing directly in the entranceway to my ice sheet base and let all the heat out. :argh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can I put a roof on a c-shaped piece of wall? I thought it had to be enclosed?

It does, but you can knock down the fourth wall afterwards and the roof will stay there as long as it's supported.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Geokinesis posted:

It really should be in the OP that if you don't want strings of awful raids play using the Randy Random storyteller.

It's feels odd that the storyteller touted as hard mode by the dev is also the most reasonable one.

Tynan has always had this weird hard on for making situations that can't be prevented because 'it adds to the drama'. Losing my colony because my power grid exploded while fighting off three consecutive raids isn't dramatic it's just annoying. Thank god for mods that add basic stuff like fuses. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really liked Glittertech's whole "super expensive but super powerful" schtick until the creator decided his invulnerable commando squad needed to be as numerous as tribals and nearly impossible to even damage, so if you're unlucky and they're hostile to you, you're doomed the first time they attack.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish pawns were a little more clever about hypothermia. I keep catching them walking inside, warming up the tiniest bit, then going back out and repeating until their extremities fall off :( Just stay inside until your stop shivering you fools.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly don't remember seeing any mary sue characters :psyduck: Was I just not paying attention?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

This was not the outcome I was expecting when I stuck my prisoners next to the ancient ruins. I figured they'd soak up a few shots when the strike team moved in

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Apparently if they're hungry enough, colonists will now eat dead animals without even butchering them :stare: -12 mood malus

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Drink Cheerwine posted:

starvation takes a while, so youre probably best off just letting him tough it out until he recovers from the daze. if you fear for his life, you can draft a colonist to arrest him- but that means you have to re-recruit him.

You can actually just release them and they'll still be part of the colony, they'll take a mood hit though

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Omi no Kami posted:

So is there any way to build a toxic-fallout proof outdoor colony? I had an awesome farming setup, then 6 months of fallout killed every living thing on the map including my crops, and eventually my housebound settlers ran out of superfluous organs to remove and eat.

Sunlamps for indoor farms, otherwise good luck with traders bringing food :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Why are there SO many backgrounds that disable hauling? I swear the last four people I offered to shelter couldn't haul. Just pick things up and put things down you drat idiots.

I generally let non-haulers hang around until the first pirate ship comes, then it's off to the dungeon and off to space :mad: