Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So I got this and gave it a try, and it's pretty fun. After a few false starts, my seven colonists finally managed to blast off to space after a couple years. I dug out a mountain base for more defensibility, although because I was playing on the chill AI storyteller on Rough I never got anything more than 5-6 pirate raids, most of which got shredded by turrets before they were any real threat. Never once saw one of the fancy robots, even. Could probably have been more efficient but I have no real taste for micromanaging my colonists beyond 'go butcher that deer/put out that fire/doctor that guy right now'. Gonna try making a regular non-mountain base next, I think.

One thing I don't get is roofs, seems to be pretty arbitrary how they form and where to put pillars to not cause a cave-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Started a new colony. My colonists are an imperial student turned poison gardener, a pampered ninja assassin and a medieval slave turned clerk. The gardener won't do most forms of manual labor and the ninja is really bad at it, so the initial setup is taking some time.

E: whole I was typing this a frail old man with cataracts in both eyes, a bad back and an old gunshot wound who moves slowly joined up. On the plus side, he is really passionate about cooking so to the stove he goes, if he doesn't keel over on the way.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 7, 2015

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Decided to try getting into this game again. Been out of the loop for a while, what are the current 'essential' mods to pick up, and also what other notable fun ones are there?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It’s been a long time since I last played this game, but I have some free time on my hands now so I’m giving it a go again. Currently on the latest version, but no DLC. The last time I played, the conventional wisdom was that if you were thinking about having a long-term base at all you should always pick Randy Random as a storyteller, because even on the chillest settings with the other two, they’ll eventually ramp up the threats and raids to a functionally unbeatable level if your game goes on long enough. Does that still hold true?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that the Mystery Flesh Pit stuff looks cool and fun and is everything I wanted from a horror-themed Rimworld expansion. Also this is just the very first thing previewed so anyone going 'hard pass, maybe if it was a different aesthetic' might want to hold off since there's always a chance that could be the exact next thing they'll show off.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I got a wandering blind healer who wanted to join my colony and insisted I ask no questions about him whatsoever. He came with an “unnatural healing” ability, which rapidly healed people but caused fleshmass mutations. It was cool, but after keeping him around for a bit he turned hostile and summoned sightstealers to attack the base. Managed to take down the sightstealers and arrest him, but does anyone know if he’ll pull this poo poo again if I recruit him? Tried releasing him, but he just leaves.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

How do body modders feel about tentacle arms?

My transhumanist colonists are all pretty hyped about their tentacle arms and fleshmass organs, they get no mood debuffs from having them and it makes them happy to be modded. I guess body modification is body modification no matter what form it takes.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 23, 2024

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yeah, time to roll that gacha.

...well, this blows. Might as well reroll a few times since I'm just messing around, see what I can get.

Boss of the Garbage Party, not bad...

Libertarian Neanderthal, neato...

uh

The dark psychic shock from the ritual left her in a coma, but one brief burst of unnatural healing from the creepy blind man we keep around for his magic powers, one inspirational pep talk later, and here we are. I'm not actually sure what a Stellarch is and I feel like this is going to cause more problems than it solves in the long run, but it was getting a little too comfy anyway. Going to have to figure out all this vampire noble poo poo now so that's going to take a bit.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Since the Skip Abduction ritual is supposed to prioritize hostile factions, are you guys that's getting Stellarchs' at war with the Empire?

Yeah I accepted an early quest that gave me a free Hussar in exchange for hostility with the Empire, because I needed the spare body at the time. Don't really regret it, he's the best fighter in the colony by far and brings in shitloads of meat from hunting. Been playing on easy mode (started on Cassandra at Community Builder, switched to Phoebe to get some building done) so I haven't had any notable retribution come about as a result of that, and I've been working my way back into their good graces with monument quests regardless.

Apparently Skip Abduction has a fairly high chance of nabbing the leader of an enemy faction because there aren't that many pawns generated early on, that changes once you start getting hit with regular raids and such but again, easy mode. A recent update was supposed to fix that but anecdotally I ended up with an enemy faction leader about 40% of the time while rerolling that abduction ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I settled in a temperate zone with a year-round growing season and my animal pen is basically free money. I put zero effort or thought into the animals whatsoever and leave them alone, and I’m loaded with more fur and eggs than I can ever use and they’re breeding like rabbits. I have twenty-two guinea pigs running around the base, I sell off about a dozen or so every time a trader who will take them off my hands shows up, but it never takes long before the population spikes once again.