Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This game is really annoying. It's got a robust and fun framework but there's just so little content at present. I want to keep playing it but I feel like I've completely exhausted it after 6 hours. I really need to stay away from early access alphas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Frankly even chill callie classic will eventually turn into a pretty murderous slaughter after a short while, playing with enemies at all is almost more about how long you last, not how good your colony is.

Yeah, at the end of a mature and rich colony I was getting waves of 40+ snipers and grenadiers at a time.

There just isn't any endgame except "withstand the human waves" right now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's an issue with the alpha 1 version because I never had that problem in the prerelease version, hopefully they patch it out because it does make playing what is ultimately quite a long term game, a little disheartening.

I don't think it's a bug. This is the intended behavior of the AI if you choose a non-peaceful story progression mode. It's just that right now there isn't anything left to do but throw huge mobs of raiders at you once you've got your colony established.

I think that the director chooses events based on certain factors - how much money you have, weapons maybe, current pop and how long it's been since you've lost a colonist, how you did against the last raiders, etc. Once you're digging out rooms to store huge piles of silver and potatos and destroying small raider groups then the AI is going to pick the Huge Raid option every time, because what else could challenge you?

This is why I play with the random AI, because the only other options are no raiders at all and steadily increasing huge groups.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

All those batteries. How big are the explosions when you get a short circuit?

I usually arrange my hydroponics into 8x8 rooms. You can fit nine tables in there, all covered by one lamp (except for one corner, which isn't bright enough to grow). This way you can avoid having too many sun lamps, each of which needs 600w of power.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is mortar accuracy impacted by the Shooting skill? I can't tell yet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sage Grimm posted:

Nope, accuracy is basically a crap shoot. You can't do anything to make it better.

I can build more mortars.

Seems to me that the best thing to do is depending on how many besiegers there are, target their food storage so they dash themselves against my impenetrable stone walls rather than potentially harm a colonist with a lucky shot. Though I tend to build my settlements in the open like a small town, to keep things even.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 1, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TK-42-1 posted:

I really wish you didn't have to select the material every single time you go to build something.

This is my only complaint. This game is fantastic and absolutely worth a purchase, and I haven't played anything else in a while. But having to select the material for a structure every time is annoying. That and ordering a bunch of stone tile floors only to realize too late that you could have smoothed the natural stone instead. Why can't I rip up flooring goddamit this game is poo poo :rant:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Demiurge4 posted:

drat, I had set up a turret at both canyons leading into my base, put my guys next to it behind sandbags to take out three natives with bows and throwing spears. My best dude got oneshot by a throwing spear, RIP. :(

What's a good way to avoid that in the future?

Tribals are melee-focused and have rapid fire short range weapons. Let your turrets soak the damage while your people take potshots from behind solid walls. You want to keep tribals at medium range and picking them off with guns. The one-shot kill was just bad luck, I've never seen that happen (but I have seen one-shot crits).

Defense in depth tends to work. Just keep falling back when the tribals get too close. Volume of fire is what wins in this game.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Demiurge4 posted:

So food, how many potatoes do you guys grow because I feel like I'm constantly short of ingredients, not to mention cloth.

You need roughly 10 raw food to feed one person for one day. This includes prisoners, if you allow it. Strawberries grow quicker than potatoes. I try to research hydroponics 3rd or 4th because it allows you to grow food much faster. You can fit 12 hydro benches into the area of a single sun lamp.

Anyone know what I'm supposed to use to make hyperweave and synthread clothes?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Cooked food is generally more efficient than eating the ingredients too.

Obviously, but "how much food do I need to produce" is easier to measure in terms of food output.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DelphiAegis posted:

Can you show how you manage this? I always get lazy and end up messing it up somehow, but it's gotten better now that it actually shows the range of the lamp when placing and selecting.

I do it like this

There are different ways, but there's no way really to add more without leaving spots inaccessible for planting or repair.

OwlFancier posted:

You might also be able to jam another two at the top and bottom if you don't mind not being able to actually access the sun lamp.

Yeah you could fit 14 in with this arrangement.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geokinesis posted:

I don't really like the whole killbox things, I much prefer getting my colonists to fight in the 'alleys' of the buildings.

Thats how I build, but you still want a town wall protected by turrets. Or else you're just asking for a game over when an animal wave hits you.

All the boomrats have gone insane! = All the colonists shelter in the main hall while turrets clean up the mess.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stele007 posted:

Is there anything you can do about cataracts? And is there any point in building up goodwill with a faction?

You can install bionic eyes. There isn't much point to building up goodwill. Getting tribals to stop attacking you is the most useful thing. High goodwill factions will send backup if a siege happens which is moderately useful and also you can bribe them after you've kidnapped one of their wandering colonists.

A small thing I discovered: deactivate meat as an ingredient for simple meals. You need meat to make fine meals, but cooks will merrily cook all your meat into simples.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Honestly, it's more annoying when hunting, because somebody inevitably walks in front of the hunter right as he's about to shoot.

I just assign my melee folks to hunting game near the base, and one or two people at a time hunting elsewhere.

Tony Montana posted:

I've got 5 mortars, but they are so inaccurate.. but as these pirates have better gear than I do (I haven't been buying weapons, just salvaging them, didn't realize I was going to get out-teched) I can't really launch an assault. I have to just sit in my base and hope a mortar strike gets lucky, and theirs doesn't.. at least until I've killed a few of the 6 so I might be able to storm them. I guess the upside is if I can kill them I'll have a stack of power armour and m24s and helmets..

You can force a target for your mortars to shoot at. Target their mortars - two hits will blow it up. Or target their food supply, one good hit will wipe it out and force them to assault or starve. If you don't set a target your folks will just fire at the nearest hostile.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 6, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

I've got a bunch of silver in a stockpile right next to my beacon, but it doesn't show up as being tradeable when I call a trade ship. I've tried moving it to another stockpile and back, and forbidding/unforbidding. Any other ideas? Want those sweet prosthetics.

Pic of your setup? The only thing I can think of is that your silver isn't in the beacon's radius, it is in a roofed over stockpile, or the UI is confusing. Silver doesn't show up as an item in the trade window, it appears as a number at the top. All prices are relative to silver, where 1 unit of silver = $1.

Subjunctive posted:

Edit: also, the "Add Bills" button on the stonecrafter's table doesn't do anything. Boo.

Try updating your install? Works fine for me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I prefer Phoebe cranked up, if you do well with Cassie or whoever eventually you just keep getting sieges and mech waves every five minutes. I once broke a siege and had another siege come in before the first guys had left the map. Phoebe mainly leaves you alone but when you get hit you get hit hard.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

There is no way to create plasteel on your own, is there?

You can mine raw plasteel chunks, but the only use I've found for it is as a trade good and making very strong walls if you're short of stone for some reason.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

IAmTheRad posted:

Why won't my people eat the nutrient paste fromt he machine I made for them? They take the raw potatoes and eat those from the hoppers instead.

Is it powered? Is it turned on? Are the hoppers directly adjacent to the dispenser?

IAmTheRad posted:

As well, how do I get more settlers? 3 isn't enough and I'm on day 20 for my colony.

This game is slow, give it time. 20 days is still in the setup phase.

Your main source of new colonists will be capturing and rehabilitating the survivors of raids against you. You can also purchase new people from a slaver, kidnap wandering persons, sometimes survivors of some shipwreck will fall from the sky or if you're very lucky someone will just join of their own free will. Expect to not have enough hands for most of the game, it's stingy with new people and quick to kill your settlers off. This is a game about hardscrabble survival, not peaceful space colony (unless you crank the difficulty all the way down)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

IAmTheRad posted:

You need to turn on the dispenser, it doesn't turn on automatically? I assumed with the potatoes on the hopper that it'd eat them automatically and give out sweet, sweet nutrient paste.

Thats how it is supposed to work. It does turn on automatically - my thinking was that it somehow got turned off. The other possibility is that food was so scarce that you never had more than 10 potatos in the hopper before some hungry colonist pulled them back out to eat them raw. You need to have at least 10 [food] to cook a meal, including paste.

Leif. posted:

For a colony of around 20, I'll have 5 separate cook stations (mixing simple and fine meals) with at least half almost constantly in use, as well as actively harvesting, growing, and hunting; I still get starvation periods sometimes. Food will always be a major bottleneck, and just like growers, one chef alone won't cut it.

A dedicated chef could easily feed tons of people. Just make sure you have a raw food stockpile immediately next to the kitchen and the cook station itself on top of a food pile that accepts meals. Set the cooking bill to drop meals on floor, so that your cook churns out dozens of simple meals in a shift.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 8, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You're better off putting turrets behind walls rather than in front of them. Raiders commonly carry rifles, which have a longer range than turrets, permitting snipers and scythers to snipe your turrets safely. You also don't want hordes of tribals shooting volleys of arrows at your turrets. Use stone walls to channel attackers into kill zones where they face concentrated turret/colonist fire without being able to bring their own massed fire to bear.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Agnostalgia posted:

I went ahead and bought this because I make bad decisions like buying early access games. What are good ways to make money for the trader? Selling/organ harvesting prisoners seems to make a decent amount, but taking prisoners has been pretty rare for me and I'd usually prefer to recruit them anyway.

It depends on your climate and difficulty. Growing potatoes and cloth is good. Selling the weapons and clothes of your fallen enemies is also good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah insane jealousy would be kind of fun, mechanistically simulating that with sex acts is the wrong creepy way to do it though. abrasive is already an annoying enough personality trait just make some traits that conflict CK2 style. anything that makes my pawns throw food and beat each other in the mess hall would be good

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Drone_Fragger posted:

I've had to start selling the millions of parkas I have in my base to buy the rocket launchers with because gently caress mechanoids and the God drat unstoppable centipede death trains.

If you're facing off against multiple centipedes, arm all of your colonist with bits of wood and rush them. Every centipede will continually try to flee as it is beaten silly by two or three colonists each.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Swedish Horror posted:

I don't think they do, but I'll expand there soon if possible.

Hydroponics are like the third thing I research, after stonecutting and the turret upgrade. They allow you to grow berries, which grow extremely quickly and can be eaten raw without penalty.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If you're using mortars to attack a siege base and are too outnumbered to send snipers, shooting at their food might be more productive. Mortars take two good hits to blow up, but you can wipe out all their food with one lucky shot which will propmt an assault.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't suppose there is any sort of quickstart guide for somebody who just bought the game and has no idea what they are doing? I am sitting at choosing my three dudes, and have no idea what matters.

Just click randomize until they have no forbidden labors. At the very least if someone can't do dumb labor or violent labor they're not nearly as useful. Skills don't really matter, as you can't get completely hosed by lack of skills, but you do want to have at least one person of the three who is talented in cooking, social, growing, research, and/or medicine to make things a little smoother.

You want to build in roughly this order:

-Sleeping quarters - a little room with some beds is fine.
-Power generation to provide heat, power automatic turrets, and cool rooms to freezing to preserve food
-Food growing zones, food storage areas, food prep areas, and food eating areas.
-A general stockpile room.
-A research bench. Priority research techs are stonecutting, hydroponics, geothermal power, turret cooling, and hydroponic picks.
-A small jail. It can just be one or two beds designated for prisoners in a tiny room. You'll need it sooner or later.

Day one you can build a little sleeping hut and power it. This is more important if your climate is colder. Also if your climate is cold you want to start growing food ASAP before the growing season is over and you hunt animals to survive the winter. Strawberries grow quicker and can be eaten raw. Potatoes need to be cooked. You can also hunt animals, but you're probably better off farming at first. Try not to chop down too many trees when you're building stuff, it takes forever and you don't need much wood. Move any pesky stones that are in the way to a dumping stockpile, colonists that have to climb over stones are slowed down big time.

After a few days it makes sense to build a turret. You can leave it turned off if you want to save power, it doesn't take too long to turn on. You also want to build a room with a cooler, and set the cooler to below freezing. This allows you to preserve food, as frozen food won't spoil. Also build an enclosed room with a table/stools for dining, as well as a cook table and a butcher. Open up the cook table and make some simple meals, but make sure you don't use meat in the simple meals unless you really need to - it's better to save meat for more satisfying, complex meals. Don't worry about the nutrient paste machine, it's mildly useless.

You also want to store items indoors, out of the rain and elements. Food especially, even your survival rations will be eaten by animals. Also, don't un-forbid survival meals across the map until you're ready to go collect them. Your colonists will go hiking hours into the wilderness just to go eat a survival meal.

Pretty soon after day one you want to build a research bench, though you should only research sparingly for now. You don't have enough colonists to spare, time spent researching could be growing food or building tough walls! Stonecutting is the usual first tech, as it lets you turn useless rubble into sturdy blocks. Building with wood is quick and cheap, but a little risky as wood is flimsy and flammable. Steel walls are way too expensive, you need that steel elsewhere. You can build tough permanent structures from stone blocks. If your climate has a short growing season hydroponics is a good second tech, but it sucks up a lot of power to farm hydroponically.

Eventually you'll end up with some prisoners, most likely survivors of a failed raid. Capture them, fix them up, and try to recruit them. Your people with the Warden job will care for and chat with prisoners. They will be the largest source of new recruits for your colony. Medicine is scarce, only use it if a prisoner you really want to recruit gets an infection.

Once you've got the basics, you can start thinking about the economy. Try these things:

-A trade beacon with a stockpile around it, and a comm console. Passing traders can be hailed, and goods in the stockpile around the trade beacon can be sold. There isn't anything that is a waste of time to sell, but look around for whatever resources best fit your situation. Stock up on medicine, body armor and good weapons to arm your people, and spare limbs/organs.
-Defenses. You will get attacked frequently and mercilessly! Use stone walls, sandbags, and turrets to protect your colonists. Clear away rubble and trees from your walls so your enemies can't use them for cover.
-Hydroponic farm, to grow food more quickly and year round. Every square of a table has to be brightly lit to grow a crop, inside the range of a sun lamp is good. Also keep the temperature of the indoor farms nice and comfy, too cold/hot and nothing will grow.
-Manufacturing. Growing cotton, making clothes, and selling the clothes is a good income. So is mining precious metal - silver is used as money and gold is good to sell or turn into statues and stuff. You can also broker goods between traders if you know what you're doing.

At this point expand your prison and hospital facilities, fortify your settlement, and try to hang on. Eventually you want to build a spaceship and escape!

Tips:
-Don't make your people travel too far. Don't queue up too many jobs at once. This game is all about efficient use of labor.
-Placing your kitchen, freezer, and dining area together makes things a lot more efficient. One good cook can make enough meals for many people in a short time if they don't have to walk too far.
-Gunfights are all about cover. Provide good cover for your people and deny good cover to the enemy.
-Pay attention to your colonist's moods. Provide them ample living space, good food, and a clean, decorated enviroment. They won't freak out as much.
-Cleaning is a very low priority but important task. Every once in a while, have everyone stop what they're doing and clean up the area. Accumulated dirt and a filthy environment make your people unhappy.
-Loot and bury corpses ASAP.
-Melee is not underpowered, if used correctly.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Does age matter? Should I get old people with lots of skill, or solid trainable looking younger ones?

It does not. Only injuries and bad things like cataracts.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Monkey posted:

The fact that solar panels don't block wind turbines is nice, and lets you make power blocks like this.

you're gonna have fun when one of those inacessible power things catches fire

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is this the kind of early access game that's worth buying early, or should I wait until it's released? For reference I played Dwarf Fortress obsessively for ages and then got sick of how convoluted and buggy it was and haven't touched it in over a year.

the only reason not to buy it now is if you're worried you might burn out and get tired of it before it's fully done. it's good and fun as is

kind of like starbound, except the content in this game stays fresh and interesting and challenging

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
another fun thing from the early alphas was det charges

"hey, raiders! come cluster over here behind these sandbags, perfectly placed for you to shoot at my colony! ok hang on for three seconds... two... one..."

they got removed pretty quick

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Opal posted:

Somebody told me that colonists can eat strawberries raw while potatoes incur a penalty so I've stopped growing the latter and kept to the former.

Berries and corn are better to grow at first, because they can be eaten raw with no penalty. Berries grow fast with small yield, corn grows slow with larger yeild.

Rice and potatoes can't be eaten raw, but seem to produce more food. Rice grows quick, potatoes slow.

So if you need food ASAP grow berries. If you're looking for the most labor efficient solution grow potatoes. There isn't much of a reason to grow rice or corn. IMO it's better to focus on one crop as it is a bit more space efficient in your freezer to only have one foodstuff in stack. I haven't focused on trading food so there may be some use for rice or corn then, so long as you put it in storage as fast as possible as the market price of anything drops as it deteriorates.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sub Rosa posted:

Someone in the Dwarf Fortress thread said this game is really good so I bought it. Is there some equivalent to the Captain Duck tutorials I should watch? Because I tried to just jump in and had no idea what I was doing.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You want to build in roughly this order:

-Sleeping quarters - a little room with some beds is fine.
-Power generation to provide heat, power automatic turrets, and cool rooms to freezing to preserve food
-Food growing zones, food storage areas, food prep areas, and food eating areas.
-A general stockpile room.
-A research bench. Priority research techs are stonecutting, hydroponics, geothermal power, turret cooling, and hydroponic picks.
-A small jail. It can just be one or two beds designated for prisoners in a tiny room. You'll need it sooner or later.

Day one you can build a little sleeping hut and power it. This is more important if your climate is colder. Also if your climate is cold you want to start growing food ASAP before the growing season is over and you hunt animals to survive the winter. Strawberries grow quicker and can be eaten raw. Potatoes need to be cooked. You can also hunt animals, but you're probably better off farming at first. Try not to chop down too many trees when you're building stuff, it takes forever and you don't need much wood. Move any pesky stones that are in the way to a dumping stockpile, colonists that have to climb over stones are slowed down big time.

After a few days it makes sense to build a turret. You can leave it turned off if you want to save power, it doesn't take too long to turn on. You also want to build a room with a cooler, and set the cooler to below freezing. This allows you to preserve food, as frozen food won't spoil. Also build an enclosed room with a table/stools for dining, as well as a cook table and a butcher. Open up the cook table and make some simple meals, but make sure you don't use meat in the simple meals unless you really need to - it's better to save meat for more satisfying, complex meals. Don't worry about the nutrient paste machine, it's mildly useless.

You also want to store items indoors, out of the rain and elements. Food especially, even your survival rations will be eaten by animals. Also, don't un-forbid survival meals across the map until you're ready to go collect them. Your colonists will go hiking hours into the wilderness just to go eat a survival meal.

Pretty soon after day one you want to build a research bench, though you should only research sparingly for now. You don't have enough colonists to spare, time spent researching could be growing food or building tough walls! Stonecutting is the usual first tech, as it lets you turn useless rubble into sturdy blocks. Building with wood is quick and cheap, but a little risky as wood is flimsy and flammable. Steel walls are way too expensive, you need that steel elsewhere. You can build tough permanent structures from stone blocks. If your climate has a short growing season hydroponics is a good second tech, but it sucks up a lot of power to farm hydroponically.

Eventually you'll end up with some prisoners, most likely survivors of a failed raid. Capture them, fix them up, and try to recruit them. Your people with the Warden job will care for and chat with prisoners. They will be the largest source of new recruits for your colony. Medicine is scarce, only use it if a prisoner you really want to recruit gets an infection.

Once you've got the basics, you can start thinking about the economy. Try these things:

-A trade beacon with a stockpile around it, and a comm console. Passing traders can be hailed, and goods in the stockpile around the trade beacon can be sold. There isn't anything that is a waste of time to sell, but look around for whatever resources best fit your situation. Stock up on medicine, body armor and good weapons to arm your people, and spare limbs/organs.
-Defenses. You will get attacked frequently and mercilessly! Use stone walls, sandbags, and turrets to protect your colonists. Clear away rubble and trees from your walls so your enemies can't use them for cover.
-Hydroponic farm, to grow food more quickly and year round. Every square of a table has to be brightly lit to grow a crop, inside the range of a sun lamp is good. Also keep the temperature of the indoor farms nice and comfy, too cold/hot and nothing will grow.
-Manufacturing. Growing cotton, making clothes, and selling the clothes is a good income. So is mining precious metal - silver is used as money and gold is good to sell or turn into statues and stuff. You can also broker goods between traders if you know what you're doing.

At this point expand your prison and hospital facilities, fortify your settlement, and try to hang on. Eventually you want to build a spaceship and escape!

Tips:
-Don't make your people travel too far. Don't queue up too many jobs at once. This game is all about efficient use of labor.
-Placing your kitchen, freezer, and dining area together makes things a lot more efficient. One good cook can make enough meals for many people in a short time if they don't have to walk too far.
-Gunfights are all about cover. Provide good cover for your people and deny good cover to the enemy.
-Pay attention to your colonist's moods. Provide them ample living space, good food, and a clean, decorated enviroment. They won't freak out as much.
-Cleaning is a very low priority but important task. Every once in a while, have everyone stop what they're doing and clean up the area. Accumulated dirt and a filthy environment make your people unhappy.
-Loot and bury corpses ASAP.
-Melee is not underpowered, if used correctly.

You don't need hydroponics to grow food indoors, a sun lamp and heater on bare dirt will do the job. You don't need a freezer room as soon if you have a warm climate - you can just constantly grow food and freeze a backup supply of cooked meals. It's also a good idea to kill muffalos and freeze their corpses, as you can only have one stack of 75x meat of any type but an animal corpse that contains more than 75 meat will still only take up one tile.

Sub Rosa posted:

What size growing zones should I be starting with?

6x12 should do the trick at first. There is no optimal size for a growing zone.

Large zones are good because:
-produce more food, of course
-train growing skill (important)
-are a good way to designate future building areas for tree/debris clearing without designating those jobs specifically

Large zones are bad because:
-takes up a lot of labor, which is scarce in the first few weeks
-seriously generates a lot of jobs. every growing tile means not only a tile that must be cleared and planted, but then a food object which must be hauled and stored
-no for real if your farming zones are too big your colonists will be doing nothing but farming and then your food goes to waste

also if you get lucky and you get a survivor in an escape pod, make sure to capture them, not rescue them. rescue means you fix them up and then they leave. capture means you imprison them. you don't want to capture on-map faction members because it makes the faction upset, except for pirates, because those factions are pissed off anyway. capture angry tribals but usually release them, the relations boost is nice and tribals take forever and a day to convert. escape pod survivors are not part of an on-map faction so you can piss them off as much as you want, it doesn't matter at all

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Heffer posted:

1) Do blights affect only 1 zone, or 1 crop and all zones it's grown in?

2) How do I make a room beautiful? I still see spot showing "1xdirt" even though I have wood flooring and no ability to tell a colonist to clean it.

3)How does high cover work? Does the colonist have to be behind it, or beside it?

1) Blight kills 99% of your crops. A bare few will survive. There is no way to protect against it.

2) Keep it clean and put nice, well-crafted things in it dwarf fortress-style. There's a little icon s haped like a head next to the zone visibility control that will let you see how beautiful each tile is. Statues are good, also make plant pots out of marble and sliver but plant pots require light to grow.

3) Behind, so long as there is a space to the side. Pawns will automatically lean out from around cover to shoot. The best cover is high cover, like a wall, next to a sandbag or other low cover. Sandbags are cheap but if you're really hard up you can build stone block walls with stone chunk debris adjacent as impromptu sandbags.

e: You can tell colonists to spot-clean, so long as they have the cleaning labor enabled. It's better to have a dedicated cleaner, or to take a couple days every once in a while and order everyone to scrub the place down. Paving walkways will reduce the amount of dirt tracked indoors.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 9, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

crabrock posted:

I loving hate blight. It really fucks over growing operations. Also I hate when my cook runs out to the field to only grab 10 food before making their way back to the kitchen. I have a zone designated for food storage next to the stove, so they should grab 75x of whatever and take it all back :mad: Every harvest I have to tell a few people to haul the food so they actually grab 75x and take it to the kitchen. I just usually grab the closest 5 people and tell them to do it.

when you see them running out there, order them to haul food

this is happening because food in your field is closer than food in your freezer, so the cook goes to grab it, but they only need 10 to cook with and their current job is to cook, not haul

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
does anyone else just place little 1x1 growing zones on trees you want to get rid of to bypass the plant cutting labor entirely

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

I just got a 9th colonist and a volcanic winter just started. Thankfully I have about 4,000 potatoes. I was about to sell them to make space but I may hold on to them for a bit now.

cook them all into a giant pile of simple meals then sell them when you don't need them

most food is slightly more valuable cooked than raw. the easiest way to make money is to just grow acres of corn and have a colonist constantly cooking

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

Yeah good point. I've been making beer to sell since it doesn't need refrigeration so it's easier to store. Mind you my colonists keep necking it but I suppose it keeps them happier.

i screwed around with beer, statues, tools, etc. and the simplest effort/profit ratio lies in exporting huge amounts of raw produce. corn seems to be the best, the only downside is that it takes forever to grow but it creates so much food you can get like $12 per plant easy so it's relatively labor efficient compared to quicker growing crops like rice or berries. for pure money though i think berries are the best

art takes forever to make and i don't like that you have to grow hops just to make beer, which doesn't sell that well. i just make it for my colonists to drink

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

What is a good way of making clothes with large leather needs. Trading for it? Do tailors only make a clothing piece from one type of leather?

What is a good way to get some valuable trade items in a poor, early colony?

This is vanilla.

bulk agricultural export and cooked foods works depending on how many farmhands you can get together. corn seems to be the best from a labor standpoint, so long as you reduce the time necessary to haul. hydroponic rice or potatoes cooked into simple meals works too. most of my colonies start out as farming colonies, and if you're in a forest you can sell the wood you cut planting crops. also usually i've got at least one person doing nothing but cooking, so i can sell off like 400 spare meals with enough to spare for winter

everything else is too time intensive. typically clothes aren't worth the materials, i produce them for local use and sell the ragged stuff. art doesn't seem to be worth it unless you have a skilled artist and a lot of wood. if you're going to make beer you might as well sell food, same production chain but more profit

Bold Robot posted:

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that they sell corn to make money. Which trader will buy corn? The bulk trader sells it but doesn't seem to want to accept any.

bulk trader should buy it. were they out of money? i've never had problems selling crops to the bulk trader, except when one doesn't show up all year and i've got like 20k corn ears to sell

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 21, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

Right, broke down and got the game, are there any guides anywhere on how to get started?

this is my usual build order, assuming you're in a moderate temperature area without year round growing season

day one:
-a place to sleep and some beds (build 4 beds, you usually get an extra colonist soon after the colony starts)
-a place to store food and other things that degrade if exposed to the weather
-plant some food
-collect all the emergency meals scattered around the map before they rot away

by the end of the first week:
-a research bench (research stonecutting first)
-power infrastructure, and a sturdy freezer to store food
-a kitchen and common room with a table to eat at
-sandbags and turrets to fortify my base
-plant some cotton to make winter clothes
-also plant a poo poo ton more food

during the second month:
-a warehouse and trading infrastructure (trade beacon and comms panel)
-usually at this point i'll build a geothermal gen and dismantle my wind/solar
-harvest food and cook a bunch of vegetarian simple meals

during the first winter when i can't grow food outside:
-seperate bedrooms for my colonists
-a workshop
-a prison
-a rec room if the common room doesn't serve that purpose
-a hospital
-an armory

wood is a good material to build with at first, but you want to replace it asap because it's weak and flammable. it's fine to build furniture out of wood. stone blocks are the best building material for walls and floors, i'll save my toughest stone (granite is best) for walls and softer stone for flooring. stone and wood floors are the same but stone floors provide a passive beauty boost.

berries are the best food to plant at first, they grow quickly and can be eaten raw. corn can be eaten raw and produces a ton of food, but it takes forever to grow. rice grows real fast but you have to cook it. potatoes grow medium fast and make a ton of food but you have too cook it. i usually plant berries at first, corn to sell to traders, potatoes outside to bulk up food for the winter, and rice when i set up hydroponics

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

Recently started out playing the game. Should I be tunneling into a mountain to build a base or make each room out in the open? I tried to redo all the bedrooms but I it seemed like I couldn't upgrade the walls.

whichever. tunneling is safer, but slower and it's more difficult to regulate temperature. building in the open gives you more freedom and is quicker, but you have to produce building materials and it opens you up to many more angles of attack. in the base game, you can't upgrade walls - you have to mine the space out then rebuild it. there are mods that let you smooth walls

i prefer building thick granite-walled farming colonies surrounded by acres of corn, but this can be hairy when 40 rabid tribals show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
corn town, currently sans turrets as i prepare to build the spaceship