Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Famethrowa posted:

Isn't the developer a gamergate retard? Sounds like he is describing his experience with stupid sluts only interested in alpha Chads (he's a weirdo goon)

he is but the emotion/relationship system just has some weird bugs and outcomes, this isn't deliberate

same as the weird sex slave background, someone paid for that to be in the game because one of the kickstarter bonuses was to make up a background and there wasn't a "no creepy poo poo" clause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volmarias posted:

Perhaps it can be a fun game even if the developer is a terrible person?

it is, but some goons find it fun to whine about sjws over admitting the developer is a social retard

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slung Blade posted:

Oh also can raiders mortar me in my swank NO GIRLS ALLOWED mountain vault?

mouse over the area, aerial objects will penetrate contstructed or thin rock roofs but not mountain overhead roofs

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

straw man posted:

How do I feed the chickens, by the way? Like, I get mechanically how they eat me out of house and home, but what's the right strategy for feeding them? Two chickens I bought in the spring turned into seventy-five that ate most of the nine thousand raw food I'd stored for that winter.

make an animal area which specifically excludes your food and drug storage and assign your chickens to it. let them eat grass outside, have some haygrass stored if there's going to be snow. cull your chickens regularly so that you have a constant supply of meat, instead of letting your colony get swamped by exponential chickens that will take forever to process when you do decide to do something or your colonists run around all day collecting eggs like easter from hell

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Started Smokeleaf Production on my colony and set my restrictions to Every 2 days

loving shameful

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bisonbison posted:

I liked that book, but talent/skill for game design really only shines in the long-term, iterative process. Looking at the differences between build x and build x+1, there's going to be mis-steps, bad or half-baked ideas pretty much every time. I'm sure Tynan's conscious, deliberate, rational ideas about the game are at least 50% crap.

early rimworld had a fear mechanic where you would leave skeletons and gibbets up dwarf fortress style to terrify your colonists. also landmines, which completely broke raids (provide booby trapped cover for enemies to use, kill all enemies with no risk, repeat)

you can see people talking about this in the first pages of this thread

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 13, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Icedude posted:

I only just picked this up the other day, and I've been wondering two things. Is there a reliable way to get more colonists? I got one in the first week (rescued from an escape pod), but haven't had any since. Also, is there a hard cap on the number of colonists? If I set up a scenario where a new guy arrives every week, will my colony evenually get 'full', or will it just keep growing until an inevitable murder spiral wipes almost everyone out?

you're not "supposed" to have a bunch of colonists. the dev of this game sees it as a story generator, so each of your people should be unique enough to where losing them hurts. most people want to play it like it's space fortress where you keep growing a town, but the dev's (unpopular) vision is more like a tight narrative. so without mods you wont be getting a ton of settlers. the most reliable way to get new colonists is to capture and convert them from raids, which is a slow and expensive process

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

prom candy posted:

Is the combat in this game supposed to be fun or should I just be avoiding it? I can't figure out how to defend my base from simple raids without losing people.

its supposed to play more like xcom than starcraft. the engine for rimworld was originally for a jagged alliance clone before tynan scrapped it and made a colony sim instead, which is why the gunfighting system is so complex and relatively fleshed out. at the very least you should build some sandbags and fall back as needed

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mzbundifund posted:

I have a question about stockpile management. By mid-to-late game, my stockpiles inevitably have these grossly disorganized piles of stuff. 5 steel here, 20 steel there, occupying lots of extra space when they could all be stacked onto the same tile. Does anyone know of a mod that makes pawns automatically organize this stuff, or do I have to make little preferred-priority one-item-type-allowed stockpiles just to force them to condense the stuff?

seems like it would be easier to delete the zone on the square beneath the little piles and have pawns haul the stuff to a nearby half-pile

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
mars mod is still a bit barebones and unnecessarily hard. it's basically rimworld: survival mode. i suggest using prepare carefully because the amount of steel you drop with is just barely enough to get you running if you know the precise initial build order, and you probably want to drop with 75 wood for a stonecutting bench

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to play rimworld on a more hostile to life planet. Like you need respirators or full suits to go outside and need to manage your atmosphere and such. Like a colony on a barren or barely habitable planet.
I guess that early access "maia" game is like that, but it's no fun.

this is exactly the above linked mars mod. you have to manage o2/co2 and pressure in your hab zones and fires generate 'toxicity' which is a huge pain in the dick, which is why if i get any new colonists that have the pyro trait they take a short walk outside

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

You should be able to set a minimum durability for outfits in the outfitting screen.

you can? there are distinct sliders for clothing HP and quality. if you set the HP slider to above 50% then they wont wear tattered clothes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Coolguye posted:

begs the question of what's wrong with them to the point that anyone ever leaves them, but details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCs8WgPcnCU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nut to Butt posted:

your categorization sounds so ridiculously hyperbolic that I seriously doubt you have the slightest bit of perspective or knowledge on the subject. TRUMP! *click*

he's said in the past that islam poses a threat to western civilization. he's a big time right wing shithead but he's at least learned to keep his mouth shut and not stir up controversy about it so he's smarter than most big right wing shitheads on the internet

i wont forgive him for refusing to make this game into an open ended base simulator instead of his dumb vision of a race against time

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 11, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nut to Butt posted:

So what? It very well may pose a threat, and millions of people ranging from Muslims to Christians to renowned political scientists like Samuel P. Huntington would argue that case. Maybe in this instance it's the left wing shitheads on the internet who should keep their mouths shut instead of repeatedly making GBS threads up an otherwise good thread for a great game. Consider it. And for what it's worth, I'm with you on your edit. I want graphical dwarf fortress, not some tacked-on win condition. As a peace offering, I'll recommend you check out a Kickstarted game in that vein called "King Under the Mountain." They don't have much yet, but I'm hopeful that it turns into something like we want. (I kinda hate the blobby bodies, but I can get over it if necessary.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7ARZDO-bk

nah he's a huge shithead and a moron and so is anyone who likes the guy's politics hth

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tony Montana posted:

Tyan is smarter and has achieved more than you ever will. Now go gently caress yourself

no he's a stupid man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
weird to just post your signature without writing a post but ok

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)