Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Had a few games of this last night and I really enjoyed it!

Made a bunch of newbie mistakes, one Colony starved because I didn't build a Nutrient Paste dispenser and my only Cook got shot. Another all went crazy from hunger and lack of sleep because I was so busy building new rooms I forgot to furnish old ones. Several ended due to everyone getting shot (Fights are horrifically dangerous even if the other side only has bows and arrows) and my last colony was going great until the battery storage next to my kitchen caught fire in a thunderstorm and then exploded, taking out most of my food and everyone starving to death.

Hoping to get further than the initial stages some time! It's tough but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
gently caress me, fought my first two Scythes today, how the hell are you meant to beat those things? They ripped my ragtag band to bits in seconds.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Edit: ^^^^ Basically that.

Sylink posted:

How do I recruit more dudes? I capture people but then they go insane and/or die.

Click the captured person and go into the "Prisoner" Tab. You want to click on both Recruit and Friendly Talk and have someone with high social as your warden. They'll try about once a day and it'll tell you what their chances were if they fail. If someone's too loyal to recruit just give it time, you gotta butter them up first.

Make sure your prison has a table and chair and is pretty enough to give good thoughts too, unhappy prisoners are hard to ever convince to join.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Make sure they're at war with the people you want them to fight too else all they'll do is turn up and then hang about watching as your colony burns to the ground.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They do indeed take legless prisoners.

They get revenge by occasionally selling you a legless slave.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pyrion Flax posted:

I've started a Rimworld series. This is probably the most Dwarf Fortressy playthrough I've done yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He9PN-ngxsU

This is pretty good! I love the whimsy.

What mods you using? I've not delved into those yet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Been playing this with Superior Crafting and a few other mods in a Tundra area and Winter has turned into a game of "Will anyone come out of this with fingers?" because I took forever getting up the clothing side and it turns out poor quality clothes don't do much to stop bits falling off.

We had a brief cannibal period and I forgot that you can set the cooker to cook human meat, so everyone just ate it raw. Oddly no one seemed to give much of a gently caress and kept on perfectly happily.

It definitely feels like the game throws a lot more free colonists at you with this patch, I've had people randomly joining or joining chased by bandits/locals fairly regularly. While in previous patches I was lucky to ever get more than four people without making my own prison complex.

Miscellaneous w MAI is a mod I'd very much recommend. While I love the hauling robots, the Local Traders in particular are great and remind me of Dwarf Fortress when they turn up to trade with you and get brutally murdered by the Siege Team outside, which means you lose reputation.

Fans fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 29, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Releasing this game to Early Access and then taking a 6 month break is a really, really bad idea. It will not go down well.

Edit: Oh he's noticed that and will be releasing it done like Banished. Fair deals.

I think the guy just needs a break. 2 years constant work has got to wear.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Looking forward to making a baby skin hat.

Smooth as silk.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Slightly better UI is a bit of an understatement. Dwarf Fortresses UI is legendarily poo poo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Fueled Generators make a starting power grid anywhere there's some trees really simple, I quite like it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I have a lady who pulled this guy out of a fire to save his life and now he hates her because she's so ugly from all the burns. My Pawns are such dicks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Turrets can fire over sandbags but they don't get the cover benefit from being behind them. There's also a small chance for bullets to hit Sandbags even when not used as cover, but Turrets bullets are just as likely to hit the sandbag as a Raiders so they're not particularly helpful for turrets.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Heffer posted:

Well poo poo. So sand bags immediately in front of a turret can block its own slots? poo poo.

Actually now I'm not so sure, because I just tried aiming at a turret behind a sandbag in game and it seems to have cover.

So maybe Cover does work for Turrets? I moved to where it wouldn't and that disappears.

So Sandbag your Turrets I guess. It does actually work unless the tool tip is lying to me. Also if you click raiders while they're attacking you can hover over your own stuff and see what chance they have of hitting it. Good for working out how hosed you are.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
And just out of curiosity. Here's a sandbag no one is right next to but is in the way.

It doesn't seem to impact the shot at all. So the only cover that reduces your chance to hit is the one the enemy is hiding behind, nothing else gets in the way and vice versa.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

fart simpson posted:

I just started my first colony in this new version and a cougar killed and ate my colony's cat within 15 seconds

Tame the Cougar, it's a better cat.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Flesh Forge posted:

Do that but make the man gay

This is my current game and I didn't even plan it. They propose him every day and everyone is miserable.

Rimworld isn't Dwarf Fortress because the cast is so much smaller. It's easier to just forget about people in Dwarf Fortress when there's 200 of the fuckers, while Rimworld getting 15 is considered fairly huge. It's less about making a working city than it is a small band of survivors like a post apocalypse show that are constantly getting their dumb asses eaten by zombies bears.

My motivation is to turn every super smart pig on the map into a hauler. That and to have an army of attack Boomrats that are a danger to pretty much everyone in battle.

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Internet Explorer posted:

It has been working okay for me. I used it to start a game last night and hooo boy, it almost feels like cheating. Things are going much more smoothly.

Except for the part where I somehow trapped ahead of boomalopes in my base. Anyone have any good ideas on how to fix that problem? Taming them would be a chore and shooting them is likely to end poorly.

Taming them is your best bet. It'll help your colonist level up the skill and they won't have to go far to do it so it's not that terrible. Then just zone them out of the base or train them in Release and use them as animal grenades.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Maybe they have no cryosleep space? The space travel in this game is creepy as gently caress, I wouldn't want to do it twice.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Blackray Jack posted:

Haha I keep forgetting about that little detail. Hauled the rhinocerous in for a ton of meat. Ok new problem now, I need to construct a pet bed for my husky but I have no cloth. How do I make cloth?

Grow cotton, which instantly turns into cloth when picked due to the power of growing magic.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's not the same Dev but yes it is basically Prison Architect in space.

If you liked Prison Architect but thought "What this game needs is organ harvesting, miniguns and people freezing to death in the winter" then this is the game for you.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Rescued people have a small chance to join you after fully healed up, if they're leaving though you need to arrest them and roll the dice on if they survive if they resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Omnicarus posted:

Whelp, my colony just hosted a trade caravan. The muffalos drank enough beer to get blackout drunk and vomit and pass out all over my storage room.

Edit: And now it's dead. Drank itself to death. Free Muffalo Steaks everyone!

I love everything about this post. I didn't even know animals could drink beer, this changes everything.