Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Vengarr posted:

What if a monarch butterfly jams it open right when the elephants attack?

Funnily enough how my first colony died. Pack of 20 or so man-hunting elephants showed up next to my colonist who was out hunting, they ran back to try and get in but got downed at the door, left them outside to die to then get messages of other colonists down. Turns out I forgot to restrict my medical pawn to the base so they ran out the door on a daring rescue only to get a tusk up the rear end and let the elephants in. It was a slow decline from there although the elephants did save me from a later raid when I used the psychic thing to set them off. Moral of the story, airlock everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Playing as a lost tribe on savage Randy. Get a poison ship and manage to somehow kill the centipedes with only a finger lost. Randy gives me chickens, that's cool I could use the eggs. Cold snap, volcanic winter in the middle of winter. Colonists now have to fight to survive at -80 because I haven't managed to find decent fur to make coats and the traders keep leaving because of unsafe temperatures. Basically becomes a game of my colonists huddled around a fire risking limbs to get wood for the fire. Upside, all the raids died of cold while I huddled behind my walls. Too cold to hunt so we ate the raiders, quite a few mental breaks that day.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Why does randy keep striking down my muffalos with plague? Third time now. I just want a wool farm drat it, I can't keep wasting my medicine on this poo poo, he already blighted my herbal medicine while it was too young to get any yield.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Anyone know if pawn backgrounds influence the story teller? I just found it really funny that my main research guy has the cat scientist backstory and randy decides to bless him with not one but two "animal joins" events with Bengal cats so now I have about 15 of the things in my base. Naturally I assigned them all to have him as their master.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

OK how does food poisoning work? Is an entire stack corrupted or something or is it chance? My freezer is spotless, butcher table away from stove, stove area is spotless (all shows clean on room info) yet all of a sudden I'm spammed with my entire colony getting food poisoning from "Dirty cooking area". Just as they are recovering they eat and all get it again from the same stack of food. MY COLONY IS CLEAN drat IT.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Idunno, I feel I need every bit of mood I can get, especially early game.

I'm using that mod that set's what kind of break happens depending how severe mood is so my pawns don't go on a slaughtering spree when i haven't made a table yet. Game is a bit easier sure but it always bugged when "Tromile wants to murder Bob. Final straw: Dark Room". Just pissed me off.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

I can't wait to research water wheels and have infinite power. Tribal sucks without medieval mod and such because it's just so... Empty. Is medieval updated yet?

Edit: OK trying to play after a small patch today and now I'm getting a weird unity window pop up trying to load and my game crashes. Anyone else having that problem?

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 14, 2020

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Update worked fine here :shrug:

Medieval Times has been updated, don't know if that does what you like.

Oh sweet, that's the one I wanted. Looks like it's time for a new game.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

So I have a guy called gray. He's my mad scientist who does all the researching he had the muffalo trait thing for his childhood and the cat scientist adult background, he's also good with animals as a passion. Randy blessed me with 2 herds of cats who gray trained and got nuzzled by and bonded with. Randy then hits 3 of them with a meteorite... Sending gray into a slaughter mood break... He then killed the other cats he bonded with.

I love this game.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

I want to do a tribal run but have no idea how tribal supply stuff plays and feel like every tribal run I do I end up just beelining electricity anyhow lmao

Tribals are really bare minimum and not fleshed out at all so as mentioned it's just a handy cap of "how well will you survive without guns and freezers" rather than an interesting way to play. That's why I love the medieval times mod, adds a nice middle ground and something for tribals to advance into rather than rushing higher tech.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

buddhist nudist posted:

In vanilla, the tribal start is mostly just trading off 66% more starting manpower for a permanent research debuff. The tribal masks are also some of the only face-protection, which is useful if you want your shooters to have eyes.

Tech advancing is an awesome mod. It never made sense to me that I could have a guy who understands advance spaceflight technology but still "thinks" like a cave man.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Started a new colony, first winter

I hope you have enough food for that thing. Up side is raids should be easier for a bit. I remember when I got one of those, didn't keep track of it and next thing I know everyone is starving.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

They eat trees, and I am on a pretty heavily forested map, so I just forbid it from entering the freezer. Seems to be working so far.

You're all set then I guess. My winters killed all my trees so I could never feed the drat thing. Shame it arrived so early in the colony when my food wasn't established yet.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Two archotech legs turn a colonist into Speedy Gonzalez.

Jesus I remember an old pawn I had wandered in, bad back, lost a leg, lost a toe on the other, slow as gently caress, kept them around as the colonies janitor. Decided I could rebuild him, I had the technology. Had the mod for expanded prosthetics. Archotype legs, bionic spine, bionic lungs, bionic heart. Made them my dedicated hauler (crap skills and passions) so they would zip round the map fast as gently caress grabbing everything.

I needed him better, gave him bionic eyes and trained him in shooting, second a raid turns up this fucker was in power armour with a masterwork minigun. Gave him wake up and go juice for good measure, he became a god of destruction, practically teleporting across the map, blasting anything away and dodging bullets.

Then he got in a bad mood when his wife died, randy gave him the "give up" mood break and he zipped off the map before anyone could arrest him, not that anyone could catch him to arrest him.

I like to imagine he is the Forrest gump of that rimworld, running at insane speeds across the planet. Godspeed you magnificent bastard.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

So my current base is in an arctic area, northern boreal forest where the average temperature varies between about -30 and 15C. I got a quest that triggered a nearby site that permanently increases the temperature in the area by 10C, is it gonna be a problem eventually if I just keep it around?

Huh that's a good question. I mean on the one hand less harsh winters and warmer summers for faster crops sounds nice but does temperature affect the animals that spawn? Are you suddenly gonna have a boreal forest with temperate forest creatures?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

New tribal start in a boreal forest savage Randy. Things are going well, really nice map with nice defendable spots. It lasted maybe half an hour.

Randy throws a two man raid at me for my first one, fight it off and kill them but one of my guys gets there leg shot off with a rifle... Ok bows vs guns that's to be expected. Another guy gets a gunshot wound to the shoulder. No sooner have I patched them up another raid appears in the south this time 6 people, thankfully all melee. While I'm fighting off that raid another raid appears north with 5 guys, then two boars go berserk.

I manage to kill the south raid, run north to try and kill them while my doctor fights the pigs. Everyone gets downed but my doctor, he fights off the one last dude of the raid but gets downed himself, the last guy kidnaps my doctor and my remaining 4 tribesmen bleed out watching as their only hope is carried away. RIP Green Marsh Tribe.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

jokes posted:

loving hell do I hate the early plagues. Maybe a month in, a plague pops through and my highest skilled medical person treats them with the best medicine available (industrial medicine) and they rest in my clean hospital the entire time and just die. Dumb as gently caress.

Just got struck down with infections. I have a stabilise mod to stop bleeding in the field until i can heal them properly. Just had a life or death fight, 4 colonists downed, last one blows a guys head off making the other raiders flee. My one last colonist stabilises two people before collapsing of blood loss, the two stabilised pawns come round and start saving the others, infections set in, Toxla and Baiga are bleeding out on the ground, Trout goes on a food binge while saving them, Irgo goes on an alcohol binge at the same time. Gray my doctor comes round and manages to stop the bleeding, everyone has infections now, gray tries to get people to the hospital but collapses due to exhaustion. Now everyone is either downed or wandering about with untreated infections ~48% and immunity at ~19%.

First time I've ever lost a colony to gangrene.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

You can amputate infected limbs. It's better than letting a pawn die.

That's the problem. Everyone either has an infected torso, mind broken and wandering around or passed out from pain. There is no one to do the amputating. It's a lost colony haha.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

yeah toxic fallout's movement restrictions are not the problem with toxic fallout, the problem is being unable to produce any food whatsoever unless you have a functioning greenhouse.

Love me them skylights. No more bullshit like needing electricity to grow indoors just slap some glass in the ceiling and away you go. Always found it retarded that a group of vanilla spacer colonists can't figure out greenhouses only using glass and have to have fancy sun lamps.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Not played since royalty was released, saw they balanced some things. Have they added more psychic abilities or anything? Can I make someone's head explode yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

They added a ton of new and very useful psychic abilities, including one that lets you teleport groups of people on the world map so long as you have an ally at the destination. There are a bunch of psycasts that are useful outside of combat, like being able to stop mental breaks and massively reducing prisoner recruitment resistance

Nothing that just blows up 1 person's head but neuroquake will turn everyone on the map outside of a small radius around the caster into a berserker

They also added jetpacks, and a version of recon armor that has a jetpack built into it

Oh that sounds awesome. I saw they added a way to get powers without bowing to/pissing off the empire with that weird tree, that looks pretty cool. May have to fire things up and start a new game. Means sorting my mod list though.