Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Does anyone else find the AI's attacks getting hilariously ridiculous in the late game? I find that my silver and metal levels get past 5 digits, the next attack is literally a couple hundred mechanoids, so many that my game gets in serious danger of crashing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

In this version, intensity is scaled with difficulty, and the storytellers affect the selection of what events you get.

So a Phoebe Basebuilder start will result in fewer attack waves, but they will be of equal intensity to a Cassandra start when they do come.

The game selects how strong the attack should be based on your wealth, not your colonists, so if you build a comfortable colony with few people, you'll get wrecked.

Yeah, this system is honestly kind of loving up the game for me. At the moment, the AI is like a beach bully. If you build a shiny, glittering palace of luxury, prevailing against massive pirate raids, starvation and natural disasters to do so, then the AI becomes rabid and frothing mad and MUST break your poo poo and murder you, even if it means forcing you to restart your computer and making your save totally unplayable.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

It's day 232 in my current colony, and at this point I feel like I'm running some kind of awful hospital where the patients are indistinguishable from the doctors. All 50 of my people have some kind of horrifying disfigurement or disability. Severed limbs, gouged out eyes, crushed noses and malfunctioning organs. Pick any two and you've got a sizeable demographic of my colony population.

There's also a brain damaged prisoner who has been in a coma since day 50, and a trio of legless amputees sitting in the infirmary and hating life.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

0lives posted:

I've been moving my legless patients to a room I call "the shed" and then just wall them in and wait for them to die. Just undesignate all unassigned medical beds, put a bunch in some room you don't care about, and turn off medical for the beds the people you want moved. Then, just build a wall outside their door and no more wasting time or food feeding them!

See, one of the amputees is an original founder of the colony who laid the foundation with her bare hands, and the other two were disabled while dragging fellow colonists out of the firing line. It doesn't feel right not to take care of them.

This game does a really good job of getting me attached to imaginary pixel mans.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

I just had the alien ship crash right in front of my base, immediately followed by a massive invasion of tribespeople. I sent one of the kitchen staff to toss a few grenades at the ship while pulling everyone back to the panic room.

This was late game Randy on 100% with a VERY wealthy colony, so the resulting battle was 300 tribespeople vs 50 mechanoids.

The crematoriums were constantly in use for a week afterwards.

Chonchon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2014

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

AHH FUGH posted:

What do I do when the piece a spaceship crashes near my colony? I need an AI core to finish my ship but there's no AIs to be found.

Wall it in, leaving only one gap for a door, make a colonist stand in that doorway and shoot at it until it blows up.

One of two times, no mechanoids spawned and I hosed the ship piece like a bitch. The other time, not so much. Think of it as your colony's fate decided on a coin toss.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Currently being seiged. My computer can handle the 50+ entities that spawned, but not when they get hungry. All of a sudden I'm chugging at <1 FPS as soon as the pathfinding to get their rations starts being calculated.

Colonies built at least ten tiles into a mountain are hilarious when it comes to sieges. The mortars can't touch you, especially if you get most of your power from geothermal vents. And then the besiegers finish all their food after two weeks and they start murdering each other en masse, and all you have to do afterwards is rummage through their belongings and abduct emaciated survivors.

Also, I can't bring myself to get rid of the five or so colonists currently sitting legless in their bedrooms. They've all contributed a lot to the colony and I feel really bad about getting rid of them.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Post the favourite parts of your dwarf fortress colony.

Dorms

The colony memorial. Each plant pot is a dead colonist. Next door is the prison block.

The main gates and automated defences.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

bobtheconqueror posted:

Just don't try to rescue any of the incapped villagers from the visiting group, or you'll earn that villages ire. It's better to let them starve and die, apparently.

gently caress em

I'd rather get outlander invasions in all honesty. They drop guns and power armour, so I figure it's best to just make enemies out of everyone to reduce the risk of terrible furnace clogging tribespeople

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Zapdos posted:

What does everybody do with the garbage weapons dropped by the tribes? Bodies are easy enough to take care of/ignore after battles since they can stack on top of each other, but weapons just go everywhere, through walls if theres no space. Its becoming really irritating, especially in the late game raids with 50+ attackers. I've been selling them off to traders but they run out of money before I run out of things to sell, and hauling them all away out of the battlefield takes days.

I have a stone walled "poo poo shack" a fair ways away from the main colony. I dump all my useless poo poo there and then I use blasting charges to clear it when it fills.