Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I took a bunch of PUBG creates and sold them and bought Rimworld.

I'm pretty bad at Rimworld.

My first game I got to winter but didn't have enough meals prepared and was way too late to figure out refrigeration so I starved.

My second game I had a herd of bloodthirsty Gazelle manhunters attack my flegling little colony in the fall, like seriously 8 of them at once, way more than I could deal with. I had to figure out the impossibly bad restriction interface to lock everyone inside, but my hunter with the gimp leg was trapped out in the wilderness while the gazelles swarmed around my base like angry bees. He was much too slow to be able to make a dash for safety, so I had to keep him recruited and hiding for like two days so he wouldn't get gazelle'd while he was starving to death and hitting the verge of exhaustion, and everyone inside was constantly going stir crazy and binge eating due to the stress of being locked in a room for days.

I got my revenge though, eventually the whole herd went to sleep so I sent everyone out with knives to kill them one by one, and butchered them for their precious meats and skins to replenish my larder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Boy my second winter is going very poorly. I ran completely out of food and medicine and a series of raids have left most of my colonists barely healthy and cycling nonstop out of hospital beds, infections everywhere. I had my first death to infection, and had to amputate the leg of another bad case, though he seems to get on just fine without it. Slaughtered almost all my animals for meat, I half supsect they might be the reason I suddenly ran out of food in the first place. I planted a hay pasture for them and everything, but they love my tasty human food more, the hungry bastards.

I had a horde of rats attack, which I gave 50/50 odds to them ending my colony, but I managed to triumph with only half my population knocked out from scratches and bites. Butchered them all for meat, a blessing in disguise! I'll make a rat leather toque for everyone who was wounded and survived.

One of my original 3 colonists, a vatborn shocktrooper, is in a sorry state. He's big and beefy and good with weapons, problem is he took a shiv to the brain during a raid and now he's uh... a bit slow. As the larders run dry and infection runs through the halls, I'm not sure I can support everybody and I'm wondering if I can thin the herd a bit, but I can't bear to banish the poor guy. After his injury he's just kind of way too slow with guns, so now I give him a sword and stick him in the front lines at the sandbags when raiders attack. He goes down every time, and I half hope the raiders will finish him for good, but the bastard is unkillable and always comes back. Makes it even harder to banish him, he wants to live so badly!

Scoss fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 19, 2018

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have been enjoying Rimworld a lot so far but the more I play the more of a bummer the UI becomes.

Even just on first blush it looks like ugly programmer-designed stuff and it has no polish whatsoever, but beyond that it also just doesn't do enough to expose important information.

My current annoyance (emblematic of many of the UI's shortcoming) is with how illness is communicated-- I had a rash of plague sweep through my camp and only after a bit of savescumming did I realize that diseases are basically a race between the % of immunity and the progress of the disease itself. Having to click on a colonist, then their health tab, then potentially parse through a list of injuries and mouseover the disease, then compare two incrementing percentage values, is a really horrible way for a player to find out literally the most important thing going on with that particular character (are they dying or not).

I'm also having trouble comparing weapons and actually figuring out which ones are stronger. Looking at the weapon's simple info box on the lower left tells you virtually nothing, and clicking the information panel almost tells you too much, for a new player at least. Why not put a few important statistics, like the DPS, firing rate, and ideal range in the basic box rather than making me dig down to see even a basic comparison? Same exact situation with clothing/armor. Why not have a paper doll that shows me at a glance which slots the apparel goes in rather than writing out "torso, left shoulder, left arm, right shoulder, right arm, left leg, right leg" in a list inside a subwindow?

I could list a million of these little annoyances.

I know that ultimately a lot of this comes down to the game being made by apparently only like two people + contractors, I can only expect so much, but it's a bit sad for a game that's been in development so long to have such lousy UI/UX when the game is so profoundly menu-driven and reliant on effectively surfacing a variety of complex information.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 21, 2018