Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm doing my first tribal start and I can't get my drat animals to stay inside the walls, both raids have ended up with a dumb dog engaging the dude outside the base. Have only lost tails and a leg thus far, but they certainly don't respect the animal zone I assigned them to. Any advice? I'd love to use them in combat but not if they are going to go outside the walls or wander in front of the bows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

This is how i have the animal zone set up for them, but they wander out the SE door when I get the corridor of death set up for a raid. So should I unassign masters before a raid, or maybe just keep them assigned to melee characters?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

One of my dudes took luci, and I'm not even sure how, maybe it was dropped by raiders. But now they have the nanites thing and there's no cure. So far i've just been treating with meds and it's fine. Is it a problem once it says there is an addiction, or is it a problem after the first hit?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ah ok thanks, I just saw it at the same time I noticed some unforbidden luci in the fridge.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

At that many colonists, how are you even feeding them and getting resources? Through mods? OR do you have to raid constantly just for poo poo like steel?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I tried Cults once, but I may have overdone it because I started with an elder thing that immediately spawned a book and monolith and went insane. Is it better to do it without the lovecraft storyteller?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I had a group from a friendly faction show up to help me from a raid, of course they were 2 days late and I am fine, but now they appear to be stuck on the map and they are slowly starving and going crazy. They aren't aggressive but I lose standing with this group whenever one dies. Anyone encounter this and find a solution? Tried saving and reloading and they are still stuck.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah I was able to rescue a couple to cancel out the other deaths. I guess it's a bug where they are responding to an ancient danger even though it hasn't been uncovered. I found it, so next time they come by I'll pop the thing open and let them do the dirty work.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Is there any way to rename colonists within game? I've got Sam, Sammy, Samantha and it's irritating trying to keep track. Haven't really seen a mod that can do it, and having to save file edit it seems clunky.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Playing the cult mod for the first time and it's been pretty fun. My labrador retriever is now monstrous with spines growing out of him.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Crimson Harvest posted:

How'd you manage that? I haven't tried all the deities yet.

It's the goat god dude.

And yeah, I had 10 muffalo, 2 boars, and the dog, and it landed on the dog.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

I've been enjoying this but I always end up in a death spiral 1-2 deaths is usually enough to ruin my colony especially if they served some important role others can't fit.

Yes, losing in Rimworld is often watching your downed or mentally broken pawns do nothing as fire consumes your home.

It's poetic.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah mortars are great, but they only help in some situations and shells are a pain to make since it is just one at a time. They would be the MVP of my current colony if not for the hero EMP grenades that some pirate dropped which has killed so many mechs.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Sounds like I need to put my boar hauler army to work.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

How do you guys set your drug policy if you want to run with smokeleaf/beer? I like it for trade value but I always end up with people getting tolerance/addiction/carcinoma even if they aren't chemical interest.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Thanks, I figure my psycho cannibal tribe might as well grow some weed and coke because it's about fun!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Hmmm I never thought about bears....a bear army... :getin:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Nuclear War posted:

Speaking of the cult mod is there a list of what the gods do anywhere? Googling just turns up weird discussions about whether it's better to sacrifice wounded pawns or heal and feed them until they're ready for slaughter

I haven't found a good written list, but this thread has some of them:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/815039373/1291817208500089841/

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

If you create an outfit and then assign the outfit to a person, they will try their best to wear that. Make sure the quality/condition stuff is set, I am not sure if they will put on <50% stuff by default, but I think they would.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

By landmines, are you meaning a mod or the explosive IED's? I haven't tried using them yet since they might blow up walls/deadfall traps in the vicinity.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

If i want to challenge myself a bit and move on from temperate and boreal, do you guys prefer arid shrubland or tundra? Not sure I would enjoy straight desert or ice sheet since I like to have animals.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

lol, guess my tundra base will have to refuse any refugees during snow. Accepted one, they spawned on the edge of the map and crawled in the snow towards my base, the raiders spawned within gun range, shot her and knocked her out, then dragged her off the map and left. Now I am just left with a colonist died debuff.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Just watched a streamer lose her whole colony to a pack of man hunting snow hares because she forgot to build a door, rimworld at it's finest.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Do cobras just spawn out of nowhere? My first time playing jungle biome and cobras have killed all my chickens I tried to raise, and kill most of my baby foxes and cobras, even while I try to keep an eye out for them and keep the juveniles inside my walls.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

A Moose posted:

I'm playing with the cult mod, and is there any downside in turning all my colonists into psychopaths? Will I have to do more to keep them happy since they stop gaining mood from socializing?

Not as long as you give those cannibals some human meat! And if you worship ngrrplsdaajda then you can turn any new colonists into psycho cannibals for the low cost of more meat and leather.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

My pawns eat cheeseburgers all day every day.

But be warned that the mod allows you to research and then grow steel/uranium/plasteel so you may hate or like that.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Unmodded you can only get neutro from traders. The vegetable garden mod lets you grow flowers that you can make into neutro, so it takes considerable time/labor but you can do it reliably. In addition to the boomrat mod mentioned earlier that I hadn't heard of.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I'm probably going to disable psychology unfortunately, unless theirs a workaround for the mood debuffs for all wearing the same thing. We're a cult damnit!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Animals Logic does that I believe. But also, deconstructing the animal beds should also wake them up.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Do colonists have different hitpoints? Some streamer I was watching refused an escape pod person because their torso hit points were too low, which I had never heard of and thought maybe it was just a fat joke.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ah that makes sense then. Do you guys generally run with armor vests/helmets on 24/7 or just swap when it's time to fight? I normally swap, but you do get the cases where you don't have enough time.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I got that GHXX mod for my new tribal start so that the tech level will advance as I go, will report back with impressions.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Mods are easy to use, most of them don't even require a new save file. That said, play it vanilla to start out with so you better know what you want or don't want.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Even the strongest of glittertech soldiers goes down to an army of chickens.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

THIS FINE MEAL ISN'T EVEN GOOD ENOUGH FOR A HAULING BOAR!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Are you mining underground yet? Because there's steel all over the place.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I typically build a liittle square of 3 regular and 1 emp mortars. The EMP is nice since it won't hurt your dudes, and will disable mechs for some time. They WILL disable your turrets but that's fine. Do you guys ever use incendiary?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Huh, this is from the wiki and I didn't know it:

quote:

Hostile factions can remember the tile location of your traps for a single quadrum, so long as any survivor manages to tell the tale by escaping the map. Factions keep this information to themselves and do not share with others. This is of course, once a trap has been triggered by someone walking over it only, causing them to attempt to avoid the tile in future attacks.
They will still walk over known trapped tiles in order to get to you, if there are no other routes available.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Walton Simons posted:

You could preemptively hunt predators every now and then.

Has anyone had a bug where friendlies come to help you even though there's nothing going down, which is innocuous enough, and then when they try to leave they can't? I just had to rescue a bunch who were downed due to malnutrition after they wandered near the edge of the map for ages. One of them got killed by a wildfire so that might have upset their AI but it just seems odd. I'm using Hospitality but a few people who've had this bug don't seem to mention mods.

Hmmm, just done a bit more reading and it may be that because one of them was downed, they wouldn't leave? I'm guessing that because they weren't fighting anything but they weren't fleeing either, they wanted to stick around to help their friend (because the game expects these guys to get downed from fighting, not wildfire) and the AI just didn't have a course of action for them beyond 'stay and help' or 'run away'. They're leaving just fine 1 by 1 now I've patched them up. Interested to know if and when anyone else has seen this.

It's a known bug. They are coming to help you with your ancient danger, which isn't supposed to trigger until you've actually found it. Then they sometimes don't exit properly. If you know where it is, pop it open for them. Be careful though because sometimes it's tribesmen and they just go and get themselves killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Did they change it so that mechs pop out of a ship just by getting close? Told a dude to build a bunch of IED's around a ship and I'm not sure if they popped out from him going near or if one went off accidentally.