Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've just started playing this the first time, just core no royalty. Playing an initial fort on peaceful setting to just learn the base mechanics. Doing many things wrong, I'm sure

Any mods I should have just on my first-pass? Things like Interaction Bubbles, which I've put in, which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing I want more than anything is an electric stonecutter's table that's three times as fast, damnit.

Also more people.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 21, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's something so wierd looking about the font rendering in this game for me. Or maybe I'm just not used to seeing plain old helvetica as an in-game font.

What this game really needs is a 'replace' hotkey where you can hold down, like, ctrl-alt and click over the top of something and it lines up all the material next to it and then takes down the old item and puts in the new one as a single task. I'm guessing there's a mod for it.

quote:

Someone mentioned Hospitality mod-- looking at your base, I think you'd be really into it. You can build guest rooms so visitors will stay for a few days in your base. The mod settings let you set the visitor group size and frequency. You can even designate areas from which the visitors will buy stuff. Most of my bases have a "hotel" building for guests with lots of shelves for whatever trade goods I'm trying to sell. They'll buy food, drugs, and clothing so regularly you will almost never need to send out trading caravans to unload goods.

Oh I quite like the idea of becoming a hotelier.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 21, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some of my most important colonists are approaching their 90s (they were old when I got them), what's the lifespan on these dudes after I replace their organs with bionics?

Also, first base pride (even though I'm cheating by being peaceful)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 23, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of indoor farms and zztt events, the big thing that I need batteries for is for the period when the sunlamps are still on but the solar power is low. Would it maybe just be easier to have all of the sunlamps on a seperate circuit run by solar power and then they can just blink off being underpowered for a few mintues at twilight but the important heating/cooling/doors/etc run off geothermal which is steady? Then I can just drop the batteries altogether.

Will crop blight jump walls? I might divvy the interior farm up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

1) That in theory makes sense, except then you're opening your indoor farm up to being sucker-punched by an eclipse event instead, if/when you have one while it's cold.

I'd put the heating for the farm on the geo circuit and the lighting on the solar circuit. I just don't have enough geo to cover the big power-sucking sunlamps. There's some wind but I'm not in a very windy spot. If the lights go out due to an eclipse the crops should be fine as long as the heat is still on, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I gave it a go:

The base now runs off the primary power network battery-free running from geothermal, looks to have more than enough capacity for all of the cooling in summer. All of the solar/wind have been switched to the secondary grow-lamp-only network and the batteries have been relocated there to power the lamps through the twilight, with the buildings that network runs into all sandstone and tiles and with poppers. If this works I may expand it to a second indoor farm similar to the first so all my farming is inside and year-round.

There's a switch to reconnect the two networks if needs be.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 23, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It really bugs me that the most efficient way to build wind turbines is with two facing each other so that the long part of their exclusion zone overlap. They're wind turbines, they shouldn't be facing opposite ways!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

That is indeed a fine looking base, especially for a first run, but it's absolutely crying out for the Deep Storage mod:

Yes my experience with this has convinced me that a better storage mod will probably be one of the first I get.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Once you've got a decent buffer is there any reason not to grow 100% corn instead of rice/potato?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay I was planning to finish out the first colony without gameplay-changing mods but this is silly, what's the best simple well-maintained compatible 'mend yo gear' mod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, the 'ending' (as much as it's not really much of an end in a game like this since we'll just reload a pre-ending save and it's just a 'you've dominated' checkbox) is a bit of a letdown.

They really missed a beat not actually showing your ship leaving the rimworld. Scroll credits on the left half of the screen and on the right half have your ship slowly move from the bottom to top while the background fades from atmosphere to space and stars and you pass the original ship you see on the title screen still broken up and then you pass over the disk of the rimworld etc. It'd be a lovely thing to see the ship you yourself built there. Or there could be a fancy looking empire ship sprite in its place for the royalty ending quest, I assume it's similar.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 26, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh come on they were going to die anyway does it really matter so much if I carve them up for parts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of my psychics is dignified/artistic focus. Right now I have them doing artistic and they're meditating like this:

If I put a meditation throne in there, will that switch them into dignity mode and they won't be able to meditate against the statues? Or does it not matter and the statues feed the effect anyway?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So unstable power cells are cool I just need to make sure they're super well protected?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 31, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So marine and cataphract armor are slower than recon armor, but are the helmets anything but a direct upgrade? Doesn't look like they touch the move speed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Monosword or plasmasword?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ah, thrumbos, what majestic beautiful creatures to pump sixteen peons' worth of machine gun into.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm mildly annoyed you can't just wear a cape with anything. I just want everyone to wear capes, even in armor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Pretty much. They don't explode that badly (more like a mortar shell than antigrain) and they only go off when damaged but you'll still want to keep any you snagged in an isolated bunker or the like with at least a wall or two between them and anything important.

I tested an the single wall seems to be safe to separate them, it takes out the wall but doesn't damage the neighbor.

I'm starting a collection.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uranium! Max HP, for explosion absorption if need be. Just on the power vault.

I had way too much after a very generous refugee. I know I should probably sell it but whatever walls are only 5.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 4, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, berserk pulse is the best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo orbital launch pods + farskip return is a gamechanger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any way to destroy a mini-slugger turret without it exploding? Can I supress it in any way?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nice crash spot

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I know there's lots of mods for this kinda thing, but it honestly kinda baffles me that the dev hasn't just... popped in a full color spread of both types of carpets and of colored lights. It'd be incredibly trivial and nice to have.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 11, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo you can rearrange your colonists by right dragging? :psyduck:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I put my psions followed by my sword dudes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want a hoopstone ring just for completion's sake. :( I've spent the last few days trying to find one and it never shows up, I think I'm too rich.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think slapping down a medical sleeping spot for immediate treatment is intended to be standard procedure that everyone is meant to have figured out but is obtuse enough that a lot of people miss it. It's how you treat people out in the field in caravan battles or enemy base attacks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wood is 40. Most stone is 60. Sandstone 50, granite 65. Steel is 100.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I kept playing my first easy game for a while to just make a fun super-base and I think I may have ended up going a little overboard freezer-wise?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cugel posted:

Uranium mini-turrets

...gently caress!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there, like, a way to get a list of my structures so I can see where the turrets I have that are steel are as I replace them?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, speaking of turrets, is the outgoing accuracy affected by surrounding them with sandbags, or just the incoming? What about autoturrets and uranium shooters?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A meteor hit my spaceship and blew up the reactor and computer. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Travelling = fire an orbital pod, farskip home.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have a sudden urge to make a fallout vault.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With enhanced mod managers, what should I use? There's a mod manager mod, but there's also... rimpy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean yes other conditions are worse but jesus gently caress Dry Thunderstorms are the most annoying things ever