Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
This game really seems to hate gardening. My 11 skill passionate gardener just loving refuses to go pick some ready to harvest strawberries. I have taken off every other priority and he just sits idle. This is the second game in a row where this happens.

What am I doing wrong? He seems to occasionally harvest some stuff, so I don't think I have to manually select every loving plant and tell him to harvest it. But I'm running low on food because of his lazyness, so I may have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm actually wondering if dropping a wind turbine on top removed the growing zone and that's why he won't automatically harvest.

Edit: That was it. Half the field was no longer a growing zone.

Is there a way to prioritize a hauler to take all of a certain thing? Now that I have picked the berries I want to move them to the kitchen, but my hauler has decided a random chunk of steel is her priority. I can only seem to tell her to haul one pile of berries before she runs off again.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 24, 2017

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

gently caress this game is frustrating. And for all the wrong reasons. One dude with a priority 4 cut plants loves it and will do it instead of any other task unless its priority one. One person loves building so much that when I tell her to prioritize mining, she walks over, looks at the rock, decides gently caress that back to building!

Is there a mod or something that makes the priority levels actually work

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

boar guy posted:

are you sure you understand how they work? they are evaluated from left to right, anything with a lower priority number gets done first

Is mining a single stone a bunch of actions and not just one? I would tell her mining was her priority, she would tap it once then run back to her regular duties.

The other guy had cooking 2 and cutting 4, with a bill to make 250 simple meals and top up below 150. There was so much corn that I had to build a new supply since my freezer was full. I actually ran out of meals because cutting grass for the free fire area in front of my bunkers was more fun.

My hauler right now is a night owl and for the most part it's nice. She will run around stocking up all the crafting areas so when someone gets to it all the materials are already there. Getting a good kitchen production line is tough though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

I recently started a rich explorer run with a guy who was not a pyro but just incapable of firefighting. I got at least five or six pyromaniac escape pods, wanderers, and refugees in a row before the drat game gave me somebody who wasn't going to burn the whole map down.

Oh, and he has no social skill so I also couldn't recruit or trade. The one wanderer I eventually got and kept also has no social skill, so I'm just gonna make that a requirement for everyone now.

I've had the opposite. Everyone I've picked up has had a 10+ social and no other useful skills. So I have a pile of chatty haulers and one person growing cooking and crafting...

E: is there a good way to get rid of all the awful quality cloth clothing I have kicking around? Right now I"m just thinking I'm gonna toss it on my dead bodies pile and let it rot.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 25, 2017

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Oh god, so much food. I planted two big fields of corn and potatoes and now I'm out of space. I'm building a covered dumping ground outside of my compound just to get some space in any of my freezers or regular stockpiles.

This is only a problem since I'm playing on a tile that has year round growing.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

If you have extra food selling cooked meals to any passing trader is a fairly reasonable source of income

A trader willing to buy corn and potatoes came by, so I sold all the stuff that was still sitting in my fields. Now I'm down to 5600 raw veg.

E: I wish they were smart enough to mine without constantly caving the roof in on top of them. I want to just select a pile of poo poo to mine, not have to constantly pick of little pieces so they don't loving crush themselves.

How the gently caress does a 2x2 square of collapse rock collapse again?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 29, 2017

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Next dumb question. Is there a way to control how much of something goes into a storage area without just making a bunch of separate zones in one area?

For example, the freezer beside my kitchen should only have half of its space for raw food so I can actually put meals in there. But since I have a field full of corn and or potatoes, the freezer gets packed with those before any cooking happens.

Or I want my stone cutter to have access to both kinds of stone, not just whatever pile happened to be closest when someone starts to haul.

E: Two dumb questions. Can downed people self heal and walk away? I had a very early raider that I had downed, and since I didn't have a walled off bedroom yet, I microed my builders to get it done in less then the 14 hours the guy had until he bleed out. I left a guy in draft mode standing over the body to grab him asap. As soon as the room was done I went to queue up the capture but the guy was gone. No body, no blood trail leading away, he just vanished.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 29, 2017

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a way to get people to automatically haul far away stuff? Having to manually prioritize hauling all the far away rocks and steel is getting tedious as gently caress.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Well that was a sad and tragic end to a colony. Pissed off alpha beavers got into my compound and downed everyone. Why are 3 angry beavers waaaay more lethal then a pump shotgun or a loving M16?

Oh well, everyone had muscle parasites and spend most of the time sleeping anyway. Is there any cure for that?

E: I definitely prefer the start of the game where there is more to do then the mid game where you mostly just let people do their thing.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 31, 2017

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Ruggan posted:

I prefer the simplicity of Tribal Essentials / Tribal Raiders on a low-research multiplier start with no high-tech enemies, no ore, no stone chunks, and no ship part drops or cargo pods.

Dumb question, but how do you set stuff like no ore?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Wicked thanks. Gonna try that next game.

gently caress, almost every game I forget to make either the orbital beacon, the comm station, or both.

At least this game I prioritized drug production which everyone seems to buy so I can clean out the odd travelling caravan that comes by.

E: Is it just me, or are small animals way too vicious? I just watched a maddened turtle take out an auto turret. I'm more afraid of man hunter packs then of raids.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 3, 2018

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Only when you realize that the game is much better without turrets will you truly be... Upper Echelon

Hallways full of traps are the way to go?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

YOTC posted:

I had a pawn that was REALLY into smokeleaf get dual carcinomas. Surprising how long you can last like that on herbal meds.

I had a chicken around people smoking smoke leaf get carcinomas. Sadly I didn't get to see how that ended as man hunter wargs killed everyone shortly after the diagnosis.

Now that I can survive the early game and get a colony going that makes it past the first winter, I'm finding the game starting to drag. there isn't really much to build, I have enough colonists that most jobs get done without much micromanaging, and I just put it to full speed and wait for the next raid.

What should I be doing? Is starting to run trade caravans the next step? I guess I should probably start doing the events on other squares when they pop up, but going to wipe out a bandit camp or whatever is slightly terrifying.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I turned on that work mod and :stare: those are some serious options. I'm not sure how to even use that effectively.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

Start with wood or foraging. Set the amount you want in storage and check the options like mature only etc. It adds a manager job in the work tab and a manager desk. Build the desk and assign a pawn as manager. Once an hour if the pawn is free they will check the job and if you have less than whatever you set, like 500 wood it will tag enough wood to be harvested to get you to 500 wood. Pawns will treat that like a normal plant cutting job, or hunting etc.

I m ant the mod that adds all the sub categories and schedules priorities.

But I had looking at the manager mod as well.

I just threw in a bunch ones from that list a couple pages ago and it's like I'm learning the game all over again.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah and when there's a migrating herd of brontos during winter... well, you're set for the next few years.

Animals ruin my poo poo, so I'm too afraid to gently caress with any migrating herds. If I don't gently caress with capybaras, no way am I gonna piss off dinosaurs

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

My this game poo poo the bed in a new an unusual way. No matter how much steel I have sitting in storage zones, I don't have enough to build anything. Tried restarted, tried deleted and recreating the stock pile, spent a day moving hundreds of steel to a new storage zone, but apparently I don't have enough to build anything. :(

Game was off to a promising start too.

Really wish the manager mod would also make sure people picked up the stuff it sent people out to do. I had guys harvesting berries forever because they were never prioritized as something to pick up.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 8, 2018

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Oh that fantastic.

Does anyone use fluffy's work tab? I love the idea of it, but it keeps loving me over by replacing my all day priorities with the ones I set for a specific time period. It always seems to take me a while to notice that my builder just seems to be hauling and cutting plants instead of building or cutting more stone blocks. :(:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I really need to stop trying to build my base out of stone right off the bat. I always get bottlenecked on blocks then if man hunters show up I'm hosed.

In unrelated news, I'm now out a builder and a cook. I have an OK back up for building, but my next best cook is a 3. I feel that every one is getting food poisoning for the next little while.

How much does armor help in gun fights? Should I be prioritizing getting a few sets of that?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's interesting if you're part of the fandom they were made for. If you're just looking for good additions to vanilla Rimworld, though, the OPness is kind of boring.

What are some other good "generic" mods?

I have noticed that starting up rimworld and loading a game seems to slow way the gently caress down when I have a pile of mods installed.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Figure I might as well list what I have so far.

These ones I consider essential, mostly QOL stuff
Rimworld Search Agency - Everyone should have this
Map Reroll
Allow tool
Prepare Carefully
Cut Blighted Plants
Replace Walls
Research Try although I may try Research Pal
While you're up
Preset Filtered Zones
Pawns are Capable
Efficient Utilities
Quality Builder
Psychology
Configurable Maps
Work Tab - I always run into issues with the time gated priorities overwriting everything else on load
Hand Me that Brick
Blueprints
Prepare Carefully
Refugee Stats
Medical Tab
Colony Manager
Animals Tab

Handy stuff
Cooks can Refuel
Quality Surgeon
Better Workbench Management
Trading Spot
Rim Fridge
Sidearms
Hospitality
Fluffy Breakdowns
Pharmacist
More trait slots
Consolidated Traits
Natures Pretty Sweet
Craft Drugs at Drug labs
Door Mat
EPOE
Architect Sense
Stack Merger
Relations

These are just decorative
Chicken Nest
Zen Garden
Round Tables
More Funiture
More Floors
Spoons Hair Mod
Moredetailbody
Facial Stuff
Color Coded Mood Bar

These are ones I'm currently on the fence about
Concrete
Fertile Fields These two just add so much complexity and I'm not sure its worth it.

These are some new ones I don't really have an opinion about yet
RimStory
Room Sense
Prison Labor
Locks
Expanded Roofing
Glass and Lights
Heat Map
Set up Camp
Numbers
Repair Workbench

The pile of some day I will try a Tribal to spacetech game mods
Faction Control
Tribal Raiders
Tribal Essentials
Medieval Times

All I need is that vegetables mod, a way to fish, and some way to make crafts out of bone and I think I will have most of the dwarf fortress industries :v

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Rainbeau's Basic Bridges is really nice, as are pretty much all of his mods.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1193975866

Yea, I think I have most of their mods. Same with Fluffy. Anything by either of those is probably getting installed.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Oh man, some of these mods aren't set up to play well with tribals. Got the vegetable mods which add way more food and booze options as well as adding a loom to make different kinds of cloth.

Neither of which is available to tribals without production benches. I have a giant pile of rice I can't turn into sake and a poo poo load of cotton fiber that I can't turn into cloth and a cold snap just kicked in and all any one is wearing is lovely tribal wear.

RIP everyone's extremities.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

This soggy bug is killing me. Half my colony just got hypothermia at -10 when the are geared up for -40. Is the only option to remove nature's pretty sweet?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

That's very much how I feel about fertile fields and the concrete mod. Neat idea, but then suddenly there is 5 or 6 more resources to track and just a ton of busy work. Do I really need to specifically break gravel down into sand then put that into small bags so I can make small bags for sandbags or concrete.

That could just be me being bad at setting up the production lines to balance out with everything else I'm doing but it just seems like a ton of busy work. And that's not even getting into actually making fertile fields or any of the terraforming poo poo.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, that was me. Check the discussions threads on the steam page. One of them should be "Temporary Wetness Fix" or something with a link to a fixed dll file. I don't fully understand what I fixed, because I don't fully understand programming. I just know how to read it and then make some vague hand motions that look like programming.

Awesome, thank you. Now my game isn't a total write off. It will take 15 more minutes for something else in the game to end my colony :v:

Does anyone have any tips on how to properly use the colony manager mod? I run into issues where the manager constantly adds more of tasks like chopping wood because I don't have enough people in my colony to have dedicated haulers so nothing gets hauled and the next day more gets selected to be cut.

And any time I try to use the work tab mod to set up a 2 hour or so hauling spree for everyone it seems to reset all my standard priorities.

Edit: Nevermind, the fix doesn't seem to cure existing soggyness. Rip this playthrough

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 13, 2018

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I like the idea of a mad rush to clean before bedtime.

What has been working for me this game is setting high priority stuff like fire fighting bed rest, flicking switches to 1, their main job to 2, secondary to 3, and then cleaning/hauling to 5 or 6.

Then when it's haul fun times in the morning I just need to set it to priority 1 to get it done. No trying to turn down their main job so they will haul or clean instead. Which is what I tried before and always had problems.

Can anyone recommend some good bunker designs?

Edit: oof, trying to set multiple specific hourly periods doesn't seem to to work very well. I'm trying to do a 6-8 period of mass hauling and a 20-21 period of mass cleaning and it seems like sometimes when I bump hauling or cleaning up for one time period it changes it for both.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 14, 2018

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I tried a mostly Chemfuel powered run and I'm not sure how to make refilling it a priority. So what tends to happen is I noticed my grow lights and working and manually tell someone to fill it up. Which is a less then ideal state of affairs.

Hopefully I can snag a few more people with no skills that I can make enough dedicated haulers to keep up and actually get to refueling fast.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I have always struggled with hauling especially in the early game. Everyone has priority stuff to work on, so I tend to just abuse the haul urgently action when I need something moved.

Any tips for how to set things up for reasonably efficient hauling before you can just have 2-3 pawns do it as their primary job?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What speed do you usually play this at? I tend to either be speed 3 or paused, but now that I have the social dialog mod, I feel like I miss all of the pawns interactions. On the other hand, I never get through a game on speed 3, so I would probably get even less accomplished on speed 1 or 2...

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Welp, I rolled the dice and lost. Set up camp makes me too likely to leave. Packed up 4 of my colonists to go hit a couple grouped quests, and as soon as they are a day out I get raided. Turns out I didn't notice a pawn going down, so only 1 of the 3 people were armed. Bandits ran off with the two unarmed pawns and the one armed one died alone in his medical bed. That will be a fun surprise for when everyone else gets back.

But I'm gonna get a new pawn and a sweet bone throne. So not the worst trade...?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

This loving game. Day 2 I get a raid, and down the guy without taking a hit. He gives me a grunt hauler and a crafter, two things i'm hurting for. Haul him back to my cell (I have learned that the first room you ever build is a prison cell) 29 resistance, 75% recruitment difficulty.

Still considered guilty, so I will probably just slit his throat. Do I get a mood debuff for that? Of I select release, can I just kick his bleeding rear end out to die in the woods?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

That's really not bad, and it'll give your warden some practice.

If you absolutely don't want to bother, install peg legs on him and send him back to his people so he'll be weaker in subsequent raids.

It's more that I can't really afford to spend the food. I just got my rice plot planted, so it will be a while until that is producing. I guess I could just hunt ever single animal on the map and hopefully squeak by.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don’t forget you can forage bushes for berries if someone isn’t busy.

Is there a good way to have your berry picker actually bring back the berries? I hate berry picking since it usually turns into intense micro to actual bring the drat things back.

Do people usually start hunting immediately to preserve the starting survival meals? I usually just wait until my first crop of rice comes in.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What are some good mods for a prolonged tribal game? Something about crashlanding and then building a wind turbine and air conditioning a day or two later doesn't sit right with me.

I've seen the medieval mod thrown around a bit, but it seems like it adds to much junk.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I would also recommend save scumming as little as possible and trying to deal with the setbacks.

Half the fun in this game is trying to figure out how everyone is going to stay fed when your only cook is kidnapped in a raid.

Or your best doctor dies alone in a hospital bed because you were a dumbass and sent all your fighting pawns off on a caravan and got raided a day later. How much loot will raiders take if no one is home?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm so happy I at least started on a kill box this game it has just been non stop raids. The biggest downside is my single builder is now basically full time on restoring traps and never has enough time to build anything else.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Think I just lost my most successful run. A caravan that has half my pawns is bugged out and is just stuck. Tried restarting the game but despite moving at 12 tiles a day they ain't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm kind of starting to hate the cleaning mechanic. Apparently a dirty room is one of the worst things that can happen to a colonists room, but anyone assigned cleaning considers rooms the lowest possible priority to clean? Maybe clean the hospital instead of cleaning blood in random spots along my outer wall?

Is there a mod that lets you assign cleaning priorities? I really don't give a gently caress how much dirt is in my store room, but that is always immaculate. And to make this even more fun, I have two colonists sitting idle that have cleaning assigned. Directly next door to where they are idling are dirty loving rooms.

What am I missing? How do I get get my cleaners to actually clean without having to manually do it? That seems to be the only way I get clean rooms.