Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Rynoto posted:

Make a second zone and put everything you want cleaned in it and restrict the cleaners to it.

A better, modded solution is still being updated with Cleaning Area so gotta wait for that.

Doesn't that mean my cleaners would be forever trapped in that area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

When building a new base am I better off throwing up wood walls for my interior buildings and then replacing them later?

Right now my crafting and dining room stay outside for a long time because I tend to wait until I have enough stone.

I just find having to force deconstruct and the rebuild tedious busy work. Doing it to replace my first few bedrooms is such a pain in the rear end

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Whats the strategy for dealing with sieges? I tried to rush them down before they got defenses and now all of my combat pawns are dead.

I really need to just rush loving guns and never try for anything else first. Maybe if I had some assault rifles their auto shotguns wouldn't have annihilated me?

edit: I'm starting to think I'm not good enough at this game to play on Randy rough.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Rynoto posted:

And if you don't have access to long range rifles then don't forget that the Greatbow can shoot a massive 30 tiles and can still annoy them enough to attack.

Or even outright kill one with a lucky shot. Those bolts are brutal.

I usually try to get shotguns as soon as possible, but maybe I should hammer out a few greatbows until I can get snipers.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

One of the great things about this game is that the question is "is there a mod for thing X" it's "what is the best mod for thing x"

Except for tech between tribal and modern, then it's just medieval times.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

On the other end of the spectrum fluffy's work tab mod is terrifyingly granular.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

FreshFeesh posted:

Dear pawns, please stop trying to harvest trees that are on fire during a dry thunderstorm – I don’t have medical beds enough for all of you.

On a similar note once you put out the fire burning in my home zone, please don't ignore the fact that the rest of the map is on fire and casually eat your lunch.

I have so many burns from people deciding a forest fire is a nice place to eat lunch.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

This game loves loving with me. Any time I finally gear up and send out a caravan I immediately get raided. All my shooter were in the caravan, but thankfully no one made it through the trap gauntlet.

I'm not wild about hiding behind traps, but I'm terrible at the combat. Any time I have venture out for a siege or mechs it's usually game over.

Any tips for how to not suck at combat?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Complications posted:

When you have to venture out from your walls, use a pawn with a sniper rifle to bait the attack towards your defenses. After they start moving towards the pawn, just loving run. Enhanced legs or movement is useful here. If the enemy won't venture far enough from their camp (mechanoids) build some cover closer to them and lure them in.

I finally meandered my way to sniper rifles. I guess I should be more focused early game and beeline to rifles and bionics? Any other key techs I should be trying to get?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm not sure if this is working as intended or is a bug, but should the shelling from a siege continue, and dramatically ramp up after you have killed the attackers and they have fled?

There is no artillery left on the map, yet the shelling has continued and destroyed half my base.

Either way its game over. My entire base is on fire. Lesson learned, never let a siege set up or you get unstoppable firestorms from never ending shelling. Guess I can't save scum and reload since I have no auto saves from before this siege arrive. Any tips for taking out a siege that has 3x as many people as your base? I don't have sniper rifles yet.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 15, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

wait what

where are the shells coming from

are you sure you don't have another event going on?

There's a space battle event in vanilla events expanded that can mimic a siege with explosions but is distinctly different.

Nothing in the log. Just a siege message and unending shelling.

For the early game, should I just beeline straight for assault and sniper rifles and not build anything nice in my base? I always get overwhelmed by huge raids when I still just have pistols.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Wilekat posted:

Where are the shells themselves coming from? The sieges deploy actual mortars that shoot them. They shouldn't just be flying from off map or something

Re-loaded that save and there was a second siege from the same faction. I saw the second message, but it came as soon as the attack started, so I thought it was just letting me know their attack was starting.

So still turbo hosed as I'm now up against 5x the amount of colonists I have, let alone the amount that are competent with weapons. Which is why I was wondering how I can avoid getting slammed with such overwhelming numbers every. loving. game.

Last game I got a mechanoid raid with 2x the amount of colonists I had. Having my one sniper try to plink at them ended ... poorly.

Doomykins posted:

When you say huge early raids, what difficulty are you on? There's other wealth minimizing tricks like revealing an ore vein but not mining it until you need it, same for trees. It can feel like leaving money to rot but tainted clothing is a pain so I let most raider bodies rot with their clothes on, and that reduces my wealth footprint early on.

I'm playing on Randy rough, this is spring of the second year and I got two 10+ man sieges hitting me.

I guess I shouldn't be making masterwork furniture for bedrooms and just deal with poo poo morale?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does the difficulty level affect the amount of negative events that happen, or does it just affect the strength of raids?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does anyone have any tips on how to make natures pretty sweet not cripple my frame rate? I've turned all the weather effects off and my game still just drags.

I just want redwood, basalt and snazzy biomes, but it makes my game almost unplayable.

E: Trying out dubs bad hygiene, and it seems like no matter how many radiators I have, they don't go above 22 regardless of what temp I have set? I have gone from 1 to 4 large radiators in a 13x37 room, and the only difference seems to be no drops during a cold snap. The temp never hits what the thermostat is set to.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 23, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

The radiators never heat above that temp. All the thermostat does is turn on the hot water heaters when the temperature drops below the setting.

So with radiators you can never heat about 21-22C? I've got two boilers hooked up to the hot water tank and all the radiators are running about max.

Guess I either need to go back to electric heaters or rethink my bedroom heating. I have all my bedrooms unheated, but hooked via vents to a central corridor that I heat. During the last cold snap a bunch of the bedrooms dropped down to 16C so I had a bunch of grumpy colonists.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Anyone have tips for dealing with raids? It seems like as soon as I get a killzone or traps set up I only get raids that "notice and avoid your traps" and suddenly I get swarmed by huge raids that attack my base from a ton of different directions. I usually make it through, but I'm always down 1-2 colonists and half my base burned down.

I really don't get combat in this game. Any time a guy get melee range on one of my shooters, that shooter is hosed. But if I rush a shooter with a bunch of melee dudes, my guys are the ones getting meleed down by an archer.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 12, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Whats a shoot shooting skill for a pawn? My skill 12 dudes couldn't hit poo poo with sniper rifles and now that colony is done because the mechanoids killed all my fighters.

Also, can you still kite mechanoids? They don't seem to follow very far. Could be that I wasn't hitting them enough to keep kiting.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

It depends on the range you're fighting them at; sniper rifles are great at long and medium range, but they drop off hard once the targets get closer. Generally speaking you're better off using chain shotguns and building your killbox to force enemies into closer range.

Can you get close enough to a mechanoid ship to build without waking them all up?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Some combination of Combat extended, rimfridge, jobs of opportunity, and share the load is having game breaking events. Every time my cook tries to put cooked meals in a freezer he gets stuck in a loop of trying to put in the fridge, dropping it on the ground instead, then trying again. Rinse and repeat.

Tried deconstructing and rebuilding, loading an earlier save, but my pawns just can't handle putting poo poo in a freezer.

First time I've hit a weird mod combo that broke the game like that.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Epsilon Plus posted:

Are you by chance using Android Tiers? I had that happen all the time when I was using androids and had them set to charge off the power grid. They'd pick up meals, immediately drop them, haul them back, etc. until I set their food preferences to no food.

(Something similar still happens in my games from time to time with all hauling jobs but waaay less often now)

That one was the problem. I turned on debug log and saw a nich of errors, then spent an hour messing with the mod list. Seems ok now.

I'm doing a run with one human and the rest androids, and Holy hell are they easy mode in the early game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do any of you have experience with troubleshooting mod conflicts? My pawns are stuck idling - they've got free zones, materials, they can be forced to prioritize sowing plants or whatever... but they won't do it on their own. I'm getting real sick of rebooting this drat game to test each mod.

Do you have debug mode turned on? Having it popup on error can be very helpful.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Just got royalty and got my first refugee quest. It says there is a chance of them joining me, or I can capture them. How likely is it that they will join after a few days?

If not, how do I capture them? I don't see any arrest options for them. I needed to draft a pawn before I could try to arrest someone.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 17, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I really want to like the expanded vanilla mods, but they just add so much extra stuff that only add such minor bonuses.

The food mod just adds so much ... stuff and its all just so finicky.

I do love the fishing mod though. Being able to supply meat just as a simple job is fantastic.

E: But I keep thinking making fancy cheese or high quality whiskey may be a fun money maker change away from the constant hard drugs.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 19, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Well I just hit a fun and probably game ending bug. My pawns can now only deposit into the deep storage food bins, it cannot be retrieved to cook. So unless there is food in the field, my cooks have nothing to work with.

Also they some how keep putting meals into a deep storage freezer that is specifically set to not contain meals.

So I guess the moral of the story is to find a new storage mod, what are some alternatives?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I guffawed. Thank you. I also learned something; I didn't realize I could send "caravans" of one person, and was waiting until I could spare five or six pawns to go out together.

Send someone you don't care about. I think there is a chance that they get ambushed as they travel on the world map.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does anyone know how the dubs hygiene sprinklers work? I had a bunch in a room hooked up to water, and then they just didn't do anything when the room caught on fire. What a waste of the few components I have left.

My plan to sell something other then drugs has failed. I have whiskey going all the time but forgot to restrict it so I think it was being drank as fast as it was being made.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I struggle so much with caravans. I don't know if it wad a bug or what, but I rage quit my last game after the caravan became immobilized after everyone starved while carrying 160 loving survival meals.

No matter how many times I reloaded, I could not get those dumb assholes to eat the mountain of food they brought along.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

silentsnack posted:

Did you by any chance get tired of your pawns always eating packaged survival meals first instead of simple/fine meals, and set a custom "no PSM" restriction, then forget to switch them to "yes PSM" before sending the caravan?

No need to ask me how I know.

yuuuuup.

Man mechanoids always gently caress me up. Should I just try to turtle up and mortar them? any time I go out to try and take out their base they just casually annihilate me. Combat extended just makes the blood bath even worse.

There seems to be a real difficulty gap. I play adventure story and there is no real danger or I play strive to survive and a bad raid wipes out half my colony.

E: Well that the most gently caress you start I've ever had. Get three great prisoners right off the bat, but an early warg attack ripped off the jaw of my social colonist. So now my skill 3 guy has to do all the talking.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Don't watch the actual mixing process too closely -- I saw a pawn mix a cocktail using beer, gin, fruit juice, and chocolate syrup. :barf:

Sounds like high school drinking. Although pawns having the mental and emotional skills of a 15 year old checks out.