Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Put more briefly, it's a community full of Gamers. That really ought to tell you all you need to know about their opinions on things like treating other people with respect and dignity.

Completely ignoring the question of the actual ethics of organ-harvesting captured raiders, I do think it's pretty unrealistic that everyone but a very small minority of psychopaths considers it to be unethical. It's not like people who approve of retributive justice are rare. I mean, there's a huge contingent of Americans (not that this is a uniquely American trait) who think it's 100% cool and good to torture anyone suspected of possibly being a terrorist and that we should bomb their families while we're at it, but all your colonists are going to be sad for a month over chopping up someone who directly tried to kill them? I'd like to see a mod that kept the mood penalty for half the colony and gives the other half some kind of "eye for an eye" mood bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I just added a bunch of mods and started a new colony, and now my game crashes about every 30 minutes. Is there a better way to find the problem other than disabling each mod individually and running the game for a while?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Corpses are great for feeding my army of hauling huskies. Just make a little freezer in an out-of-the-way spot and your dogs can live off a raid for days. Smarter Food Selection is great for this (and in general) but you could probably micromanage allowed areas for the same effect.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Anyone feel like posting their favorite mods now that 1.0 is out? I might just go in with whatever mods look interesting to me since I already played for a good 30 hours or so vanilla.

I really like Rimatomics and Rimefeller and don't see them mentioned very often. They're both by the guy that made the plumbing/hygiene mod. They drastically change the balance of the game once you have their respective systems up and running, but it's hard to do until late game cause they take a ton of resources.

Rimatomics particularly adds a ton of content. There's a whole parallel research system. The nuclear reactors have a bunch of parts and a big footprint that you need to plan for, but once you have one started you can just completely stop worrying about power consumption. There are energy weapons that use up all the extra power and can do things like shoot down incoming drop pods and mortar shells, and of course ICBMs you can destroy nearby settlements with.

Rimefeller is newer and doesn't have as much content, but it does for materials what Rimatomics does for power. You drill oil wells, store the oil in tanks and refine it into more chemfuel than you can ever use, then refine all that chemfuel into different stuff. There's a wood substitute, a high-strength fabric, a steel substitute, and you can also refine it directly into synthread, neutroamine, or hyperweave.

They aren't completely unbalanced because of the costs (like it takes thousands of steel to build all the reactor pieces, plus uranium and plasteel and advanced components and lots of pawn work time) but if you're playing Rimworld for the challenge they might not appeal to you. I just like building ant farms on Base Builder difficulty.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I'll disagree with the mod purists: you should play a vanilla game first to understand the basics, but there are a ton of cool mods and if you go to the Steam workshop and sort by "most subscribed" pretty much everything on the first couple of pages is worth considering (except for anything that looks like it has anime in the thumbnail)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Has anyone had a problem with pawns sharing a double bed unassigning themselves from it for no apparent reason? Every 2-3 days I notice a particular married couple has negative thoughts from wanting to sleep with each other and one of them (they've both done it) is now assigned to a previously unused bedroom. Neither are having affairs, they've never gone on caravans, and they both have +100 opinions of each other. They aren't restricted to any zone, and I didn't make them go to a medical bed or try to change their sleeping arrangements in any way. I tried uninstalling all the free beds, and then I eventually noticed the guy sleeping on the floor in the storage room. There's another couple in my colony that does this rarely, and two more than I've never seen do it at all, but this one couple splits up like every other day and whines about it.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Warmachine posted:

This, but the scaling is exponential. Each pawn has t operations per tick to complete, and these operations must be completed for n pawns, so tn.

Also note that Rimworld models a shitload of non-visible pawns that aren't part of your colony so it can draw from them for interactions with other factions. That's how you get stuff like released prisoners coming back in raids, etc. This can get expensive and it seems like this pool of outside pawns only grows over time. There's a mod called RuntimeGC that lets you clear it, and after using it with a colony of ~20 pawns that I'd quit playing because I couldn't run it past normal speed on a 2018 Macbook Air, I was able to go back up to full speed.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Is anyone playing with Fertile Fields having the problem where it makes pawns try to build things they don't have the required construction level for? A few people on its Steam workshop page are complaining about it and I ended up disabling it because of that.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Crimson Harvest posted:

If your poo poo is crashing today and you're using the Rimatomics + SOS2 compatibility mod it seems to broken because of a Rimatomics update. Don't spend your morning troubleshooting like I did just remove it from your load order.

This won't help at this point, but Mod Manager has a thing where you can click one button and turn all your Steam-subscribed mods into local copies that won't auto-update. Before I started using that I eventually lost pretty much every colony to mod updates that irrecoverably broke things.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Rimefeller control console definitely doesn't need to be on the pipe network. I think it may need to be on the same power network as whatever it controls.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Yeah, 100%. I usually have the console well inside my base and separate from the refinery and drills.

I think Rimefeller should have separate lines for chemfuel and crude. Especially since Rimatomics has separate coolant, steam, and cold water lines, and those are all going to be like 4 tiles long unless you build a real wacky reactor layout.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

If I want meals to be in both places without doing wierd pickup micro I must have at least 51 meals prepared (my stack size for meal is 50). Which gets tough because meals are consumed regularly at irregular intervals and my cook is my builder and sometimes he's busy building a new motel for visitors.

I had the "multiple stockpiles of same high-stack item" problem and the best solution I found was Rimworld Search Agency. It gives you a "only refill when below X%" slider on all stockpiles so you can make your haulers spread things out more. Works with big stack mods and multi-stack furniture.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Anticheese posted:

Looks like the tenant mod is incompatible with the one that gives you early warning of incoming raids. Is hospitality recommended by people? It looks like it's less about getting money for your extra space if you can support a tenant and more about making caravans happy?

I like Hospitality a lot. You can make a decent passive income by setting up a gift shop and stocking it with drugs, clothes, and art. (I like to set mine up so pawns have to walk through it to get to the guest barracks.) You can have your pawns entertain guests, which is a good way to train Social at the cost of having them spend a lot of time not doing other work during visits. Sometimes guests help out with non-crafting tasks like growing, hauling, and research.

I haven't tried Preemptive Strike, but if all you want is raid warnings, the upgraded TACS from Rimatomics does that. (Plus it scrambles drop pod raids so they always land at the edge of the map instead of on top of you.)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I like to have three shifts, so there's always a doctor and a researcher around, the crafting benches are always manned, etc.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I think I'm dropping Giddy-Up with my next colony. Seeing my pawns ride dogs around the base is fun and all, but SRTS blows pack animals out of the water, I doubt whatever time pawns save riding animals exceeds the time they spend going out of their way to find a mount, and it completely fucks up trade caravans. Whenever they leave at least half the caravan gets trapped in an endless loop of get on animal -> go to sleep -> immediately wake up.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

The Android Tiers++ expansion is particularly insane, but I love it. I've been flattening enemy bases by flying in a team of ten T4 surrogates all remote-controlled by my two best shooters, destroying any turrets and mortars with Rimatomics Punishers, and having the bots mop up the survivors.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Is there a way not to have food in a prison cell automatically "reserved for prisoners"? I implanted ovipositors into my prisoners with Genetic Rim, but the eggs are all marked reserved so they don't get hauled.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I'll buy the expansion without complaint if modders end up building on it and it becomes necessary for a lot of stuff, but I have less than zero interest in any of the content I've seen so far. My colony is an impregnable post-scarcity utopia and my colonists are perfect immortal cyborgs with their consciousnesses backed up to a mainframe on an orbiting space station, so whiny-rear end Space Hapsburgs can gently caress right off unless you can fight them instead of placating them.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

It doesn't matter, they just have to be anywhere on the same power grid.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I don't think it's ever actually fatal, but healer mech serum should fix it as long as there's nothing worse wrong with them.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Another thing I like to do with fabrication benches is to add multiple "make until you have X" bills. They'll all still turn off when you hit the limit, but if you have multiple bills you can have multiple components in progress and your bench won't sit there useless with an unfinished component on it while one crafter is asleep or whatever. Works well if you divide your pawns into multiple shifts.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Wow, that's a lot of neat new stuff. How long should I wait for mods to be updated?

Lots are already updated and I don't think there were a lot of breaking changes this version. I was playing on the unstable 1.2 branch this weekend using a bunch of 1.1 mods and the only one that definitely didn't work was Android Tiers.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is there a mod that lets you specify a quantity of an item to keep in a stockpile? I wonder if this is even possible within the game's code. I like using increased stack sizes and deep storage but I also want certain items in multiple locations for accessibility reasons. For example I want to keep one stock of herbal medicine in my drug lab and another in my prison, but the stack in the prison doesn't need to have more than 20 or 30. It would be nice if there was a "mini" stockpile you could use for instances like this.

In addition to the other mod mentioned, Rimworld Search Agency also adds a slider that lets you set a maximum % each tile in the stockpile should be filled to. It does work with Deep Storage furniture, but the search functionality itself has this aggravating bug in 1.2 where it sometimes switches back to old search results on you.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

How do you tell when you've reached the maximum threat level? Is there a debug option to see it?

Yes, under view settings (third button), enable "Write storyteller", then open the inspector (magnifying glass button). "Base points" is what it uses to determine how dangerous threats are. It caps out at 10000.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Any good mods to travel around the map at a not painfully slow pace?

There were some older mods that had stuff like helicopters or vehicles, stuff like that.

SRTS adds ships that are basically reusable high-capacity drop pods and Save Our Ship 2 has cargo pods that are similar. Neither work with 1.3 yet and may not for a while, though.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Azhais posted:

On the topic of mods, anyone know of a mod that fixes how event removal works?

You probably want Incident Tweaker

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Re hauling optimization: KanbanStockpile is an excellent mod that adds a "stack size threshold" slider to everything with storage settings. You can set this to a percentage, and hauling jobs won't fire until the number of items left in the stack goes under the threshold. So if you have a fridge storing psychite next to your drug lab, you can set it to 50% and your haulers will only refill it once it's half empty, instead of compulsively hauling a few psychite leaves to it every time a pawn makes a single flake. Really improves hauling efficiency and works fine with all the various storage furniture and stack size limit mods.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Rimatomics has a thing that does that for raids; you'll get a few hours notice for drop pod raids and a day or two for overland attacks. Sometimes they turn out to be false alarms. The upgraded version can also use stored energy to scramble incoming drop pods, making them fall at the edge of the map.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Why do pawns sometimes lose the +X opinion due to beauty towards others? Her lover still has it towards her (they both have the pretty trait).

Does the pawn have the Kind trait? That removes the opinion malus for ugliness and disfigurement towards other pawns but also the bonus for beauty.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

alarumklok posted:

I prefer https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2571003732, and it's already updated to allow multicolor whereas Wall Light still doesn't let you make your rooms glow purple

It absolutely does, it has the same color change widgets as regular lights once you have the research (but ceiling lights are also good and I run both mods)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Yeah, mod updating via Steam has been extremely hinky for me ever since 1.4. I've had to unsubscribe/resubscribe to a bunch of stuff and even manually delete the mod files in some cases.