Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, this or Prison Architect?

Both 30 bucks, both Early Access, both have Dwarf Fortress elements. I want to play one, but trying to decide which. I liked Dwarf Fortress from what I played, but had to ditch it due to it's insanity. Prison Architect seems cool but perhaps more 'limited' in that you have set areas to build and the scope is different to Rimworld.

Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

If you liked the part of dwarf fortress where you had 100+ rooms, workshops, and a complicated lava plumbing system, get Prison Architect.

If you liked the part where you got a bunch of traps, Forges, and fought against sieges, get Rimworld.

Thanks. Hrm, I liked both of those parts! I think the sci fi aspect, plus the combat and purpose of having to survive makes me want Rimworld.

Can we get an effort post put in the OP with a summary of the current mod scene? What are considered great mods and must haves? What should be avoided? How do you mod the game and are there any tricks like a mod manager?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I bought it and am having a blast. Great fun so far.

What in the name of gently caress do I do with mud tiles? Fill em in? I can't floor over them.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, it's 5am in Australia. I played all night. Great fun :)

Now this raider was shot down by my turret and I nursed her back to health. Admittedly I told the warden to use none of our precious medikits on her.. but I gave her a bed and fresh berries to eat. She finally gets better and joins the crew and I notice her walking.. so.. slowly. A closer look and it appears my turret actually blew her face off and the bullet is still lodged in her brain, making her shuffle about like a zombie.

Euthanasia time :(

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oh...

game rocks :D

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I led a blind, slow and mentally disabled person to a bed, where I knocked her out and took out her heart and put it in a box to perhaps use later if I need it. What was left of her body was buried in a shallow grave just outside the complex.

Jesus Christ.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Have to add, anyone on the fence here, go and get it.

It's a lot like DF but with an interface and logic that doesn't make you want to delete it from your computer. No it's not as deep, but gently caress man, it's deep enough for me and probably you too.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I convinced a staunch raider called Deadeye to join the colony, I didn't understand I could check what he was good at before recruiting him and found the fucker wouldn't do anything except fight melee and research.

So I sent him to kill the tortoise that had been hanging around since the start. Deadeye had a mohawk and generally appeared to be a hardass pirate type. The tortoise hosed him right up. Be warned.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Just Chamber posted:

I'd say what I'd really love is a button that just says "hey get the gently caress inside you're under siege" and a decided zone where they are only allowed to be in when it's pressed, like DF has. The amount of times I've had colonists who weren't drafted decide to go run into the middle of a gun fight to go and repair the wall outside is maddening.

Yeah, I've come to locking the main colony front door when poo poo goes down. Turrets in a killbox just outside and everyone inside behind a locked door. The dumbasses would go out to repair the turrets in the middle of a pitched battle and get their limbs blown off.

The turrets are very strong though, a few in a semi-decent configuration seems to be blasting pretty much everything that comes near me.

Splode posted:

Be very careful when deciding where to put your orbital trade beacon.
That's the location that's used to determine where enemies drop in when they 'drop in right on top of you'.

I put mine at the back of my chokepoint, so all the turrets just swivel 180 and annihilate everything.

Great tip. Yeah, it's a bit of a weird thing that beacon, along with the stockpile needing to be uncovered (so the ship can beam poo poo up and down I guess).

I have hundreds of potatoes in that stockpile. I've bought medikits, upgrades and even slaves with potatoes. Actually another thing is selling people to the slavery traders generates negative thoughts, even if they are filthy pirates sitting in your prison and aren't part of the colony yet. Not that I give a poo poo about the welfare of Mr. Pirate but I do give a poo poo if it gives everyone else a sad.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Aha!

So, would you like to join our colony? No? Ok then.. *sharpens knives*

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, notifications could be better. I checked my number one bro, Yuri, that was a founder and he's built half the drat place himself.. he is missing an arm! I had no idea, no idea when it happened, or how..

Maybe in that statistics tab with all the events in it.. can I trawl through that and try and find out what happened? You really need a flashing red alert, like the mental break alert, that says your colonist has lost a limb!

Yuri is such a fine man that only the best in bionics will be ordered for him.. once the next crop of potatoes comes in.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Honestly, it's more annoying when hunting, because somebody inevitably walks in front of the hunter right as he's about to shoot.

It goes for combat too, either melee or shooting but not both because your shooters will hit your melee guys more than the target.

So I'm on my first game and loving it, but I've killed three crashed ships now (two centipedes down, holy gently caress they're motherfuckers.. last one came with a minigun which I'd never seen before) and I'm thinking I've hung around too long. Obviously I was learning the game, but the last crew of pirates built a mortar and now a bunch landed, all with power armour and helmets, rocking m24s and built two mortars and are going to just sit back and gently caress with me.

I've got 5 mortars, but they are so inaccurate.. but as these pirates have better gear than I do (I haven't been buying weapons, just salvaging them, didn't realize I was going to get out-teched) I can't really launch an assault. I have to just sit in my base and hope a mortar strike gets lucky, and theirs doesn't.. at least until I've killed a few of the 6 so I might be able to storm them. I guess the upside is if I can kill them I'll have a stack of power armour and m24s and helmets..

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

deebo posted:

My 70 year old lady called snotface who had double cataracts.. things just kinda went from there...

oh wow, so they are exploratory tunnels to do things like find the steam geyser for your generator?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday I followed that link in the menu to Tynan's blog. This one.

I have to say, this dude blew my mind a bit. Some of that stuff on the first page, but really at the bottom there.. that post about The Simulation Dream. I was just skimming and I found myself reading the whole thing.. continually thinking 'yeah, that's exactly right'.

Rimworld being as good as it is isn't a mistake, you can read as he goes into (at times perhaps excessive) detail about his processes and thoughts. Quoting design decisions from Ultima Online was always going to win points with me but as he goes into detail on the concept of apophneia I have to appreciate his perspective.

His prototyping logic in development, don't spend time polishing just get new ideas in, quick and dirty and see how they fly.. keep doing that until you hit something that is obviously good.. seems to make a lot of sense.

Glad to give my $30 to this guy.

edit: ha gently caress, I've never even considered writing a mod but I have the skills and background.. he kinda makes me wanna try it for Rimworld :)

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 7, 2014

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Leif. posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

You might be surprised how much of the games industry, even in big studios, follows a similar philosophy. The iteration often happens in ways that aren't externally visible.

Mm, yeah, now you say it I remember having this drilled into me back in Uni in like 2001.

I liked his stuff about apophneia though.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Expect to not have enough hands for most of the game, it's stingy with new people and quick to kill your settlers off.

But really, once you've got your little prison with a few beds and realize you can put all sorts of different people in there from visitors to raiders, I can have as many colonists as I want. I can even send less useful colonists out to meet raiding parties, if they get killed it's cool because I'll either nab one of the raiders or some poor dude will come wandering along soon enough that I could nab.

I happened upon my first nudist. Looking at her thoughts: +10 for being naked? Normally naked is a negative modifier. What the hell. Look at her character sheet, oh nudist. She will wear clothes but she doesn't like it and it obviously makes her happy to be naked. Ok then, run free! Unfortunately she is fat, but the art style means I don't have to really see the details of that. I've also found out that she had cataracts in both eyes and isn't all that great generally.. so the other colonists will only have to bear her jiggling rolls until the next raiding party when she is sent out to 'spearhead' our attack.

Then again if that naked fat blind woman comes back alive and with a raider's head on a pole - she will be lauded as a hero. I may even fix one of her eyes.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't think a naked blind fat nudist leading a charge is amusing then I can't help you.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking a list of things that annoy people or could be improved would be useful for potential modders and perhaps even Tynan himself.

I can kick it off with:

- clear indication of hostiles, animals can be mad and you don't know it until a colonist is sent out to do something and gets gang-banged by a crew of squirrels
- trigger discipline, something configurable perhaps that has a rule that if a friendly or colonist is in your potential line of fire you HOLD FIRE and perhaps even move to a different position to shoot around them
- some overlay or indicator about how roof support works, so you can have some idea of where you need pillars or how big an area can be without collapse. I know I can probably look it up just as I can look up what an optimal room size is for happy thoughts, but incorporated into the game in a less than obtuse manner
- a roof view so you can see the roof without hovering over individual squares to see if it's roofed or not
- roof building options, however simple, so if an area accidentally loses it's roof you can put it back with little fuss

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'll say.. I'm digging the game and spent a lot of time with the build before this.. but I can't find the mojo to get going again because..

it's the micro-management. It's when bad dudes land, pausing and manually telling people to man mortars and then manually cycling them out when they get tired. It's sending my soliders hunting knowing I need to watch them or they'll shoot each other (and the guy I've spent a ton on bionics for is now dead because his stupid buddy just blew his head off with a M24 when trying to shoot a deer nearby). It's a hundred little manual tasks that just make me think.. bleh..

In RTS games I always lean toward a macro focus. Selecting individual units and making sure the strongest armour is always facing the enemy or kiting the AI, to me, is the height of boring bullshit. My tank has a tank commander in it, surely they can keep their individual tank facing the right way? Surely I can tell my hunters to loving well BE CAREFUL with their sniper rifles and missing the target is to be expected, but I do not expect you to 'accidentally' blow each others drat limbs off!

For me.. that would be the difference between a fun little game I'll play a couple of times and the NEXT THING that I sink countless hours into. If a huge pile of scripting could be done to really shape and detail the 'thought processes' of your colonists, that is what I think this game needs.

Leave extra features like padding out environments and weapons and concentrate on the actual gameplay. Everytime I have to reload because some idiot did something stupid that no reasonable person would do is just tiresome. I'll bet a certain spergy fanbase will put up with it (Dwarf Fortress) for whatever reasons but myself and many others just have enough actual mindless morons in our everyday lives that then controlling a virtual colony of them doesn't appeal long term.

Just my 2 cents.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

As more and more moving parts get added to the game more and more micro is going to be needed. It is going to be a problem he needs to mitigate or else its going to collapse on itself when you spend more time in pause trying to do something than letting the game run with you properly i the overseer role.

It depends how more parts are implemented. That's my point. Rather than continue to add more features I think more time needs to go into the existing ones. I don't really care about temperature variance when playing is frustrating.

Leif. posted:

I just always assumed that at some point, Tynan would spend some time bulking out the AI features so that your colonists act a bit more like DF dwarves, in that they have a bit more of a routine in their day based on their personal stats and can somewhat react to external events (such as being attacked), rather than simply performing work, then sleep regardless of whether a mechanoid is chomping on their face.

Yeah, this is what I mean. In fact, if the focus was here and the colonists really quite smart and complex the game would be something fairly unique and (for me) a lot more fun. The 'stories' have more meaning when your colonist is fairly autonomous and emergent gameplay results from their own decisions.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 14, 2014

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk in Space posted:

On hunting chat:

If you don't mind changing gear now and then, you may find it useful to equip your hunters with uzis. There are several advantages of this:

They fire quickly, making them useful for training up shooting skill.

Individual shots do little damage, meaning the odd stray shot or burst won't harm a friendly too badly, certainly compared to something like the M-24. This is especially true now that clothing has damage reduction properties, meaning that uzis will frequently do as little as 2 points of damage per shot if your guys are wearing vests and helmets.

Because of their short range and high rate of fire, you'll likely find that hunters tend to take down game reasonably quickly, often faster than if they were using a more powerful, longer-ranged weapon. This is because they have to get in close and will therefore get off a fair amount of shots before the animal moves away. Compare this to the M-24 where its long range and high warmup/cooldown can be a major source of frustration if the animal is constantly moving away from the hunter, forcing them into a stop/start pattern as they constantly try to set up a new shot. (The dev really needs to fix hunting AI to have them move to within something like 50% of the weapon's max range instead of trying to engage as far away as possible).

This is smart and makes a lot of sense, but I'm sure you see it's a gamey, lovely way to have to make decisions about weapons. It's not really acceptable as a finished game (I know it's not finished) that way - oh use uzis for hunting coz it works better with the AI!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's pretty much how Australia works.

In 2007 the World Health Organization (WHO) found that 67.4% of Australian adults are overweight, ranking third out of the major countries in the Anglosphere, behind the United States and New Zealand

I guess we just need to model video games and foreign forums now, so the colonists can refuse work and spend their days arguing the finer points of nothing with people they'll never meet.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You're making bricks, not rocks. Bricks are hard to make, you go make one with whatever you've got lying around.

Perhaps it should be unlocked from the start for gameplay, but for story (you are shipwrecked, unlikely to have a handy mason around) you having to work out how to make bricks makes sense.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone see the download link for this mod on the Ludeon forums?

It's AlphaTweaks - Automatic Trade and Haul and more! and sounds amazing, cutting down on a lot of micro.

[Updated] Automatically strip corpses inside your Home Zone. This is no longer just a hack that explodes the gear! I've added it to the colonist's AI. It's a low priority hauling task, so any colonists with Haul enabled will do it after he's done with the rest.

[Updated] Automatically unforbid any forbidden item that's haulable inside your Home Zone and automatically haul all Chunks in your Home Zone. This is now a separate download because based on feedback some people would not like this feature. I've removed the keybind to make it 100% compatible with other mods and building shortcuts. If you want to turn it off just disabled the mod.

A "Scrap Station" building to extract Cloth from cheap Apparel so you don't have to drag-vendor them one by one. I don't have the C# skills to make it extract the correct cloth, specially keeping compatibility with Fabric/Leather adding Mods such as Cybernetic Storm. So it just extracts Cloth :-\

[New] An "Auto Trader" building that you can configure to make your pawns with Social skills (Warden job must be enabled) to automatically buy or sell items based on rules. You add the desired item to the list and configure how many of them you want to keep in stock. Works with items from other mods if they show up on Trade Ship stock!

I just can't see where to download it from! :(

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, suspected as much. Made an account, thanks.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know how to delete squads with the Battle Stations mod? :x

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tommofork posted:

I effort posted about this a while back. It's a hassle, and I personally wouldn't put up with battlestations. The creator hasn't answered how to delete squads or updated their mod in over two weeks despite posting other mods.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post440037483

Ah, thanks man.

Leif. posted:

Oh, that's why. It's a JuliaEllie mod. She just shits out a ton of low-effort, low-content mods that rarely if ever get updated.

Mm. With Battlestations if you push both Ctrls at the same time you get a bug where her tooltips overwrite each other. I also find how it lists the groups and their hotkey above each colonist really loving obtrusive (can you turn this off in anyway? perhaps editing a config somehwere?).

It's a great idea as a mod and even the sound effects don't annoy me yet, but I'm leaning toward what Tommofork said and ditching Battlestations and avoiding Julia in future.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Being able to accurately hit anywhere on the map with great force with a single mortar would be so loving OP it'd be ridiculous. You can go and download a 'I'm a pussy' mod if you like

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So build some more mortars?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
But by the time you're building mortars you should have more than 3 colonists anyway. Obviously this depends on difficulty settings, it how it's usually worked out for me.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what I think about sex organs but emulating DF is just fine with me. Someone needs to make the point that you can have a good idea but if your implementation is cumbersome someone else will just steal it and do it better. DF without nearly as much sperg sounds like a great game.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There is no loving FTL. It's explicitly stated numerous times and there was stuff in the OP you could read about it. It's the reason there is a RIMWORLD at all, technology and humanity does not spread throughout the galaxy with homogeneity because of the vast distances and TIME separating civilizations.

That's why you build a colony and survive on your own. There is no FTL communications or rescue possible.

You sperg out about the details but it sounds like you haven't even read the simple sci-fi primer on the universe that has been around for ever. It's still in the OP and it's still as clear as ever.

You build a spaceship capable of interstellar travel and perhaps thousands of years of autonomous operation from scrap, by the hands of three shipwrecks and various pirates and villagers you pick up along the way.

I'd suggest the sci-fi thread in the books forum if you actually want to stretch your brain a bit.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

duck monster posted:

you'd have to assume ships are traveling at some very high fraction of C

You need a lot more than a high fraction of light speed, you need many times the speed of light (perhaps thousands) to have a linked interstellar society. It's not that far to Alpha Centauri, but once we start talking multiple systems which is the basis of pretty much every sci-fi that uses FTL in this way.. even 10x the speed of light is not going to cut it.

duck monster posted:

FTL probably is not going to be a thing.

Good to know, I'll let the science community know. We're just getting to the stage now where we are starting to understand and realize perhaps things don't exactly work as we thought they do.

See dark matter/quantum physics/evolving black hole theory/other stuff that is more obscure and not reported in mass media and doesn't mean anything to people not working with it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
5 years is a long colony, the dude wouldnt even be 60.

In the real world, a top doctor is still absolutely kicking rear end past 60.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hows the new build working out? Is booze more fun or is it more of a pain still?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone tell me of a simple mod for Alpha 9 that will allow me to place natural flooring? I miss fertilizer pumps.

edit: also how about one to change the colour of the colonist's clothes? I had one, it was just like a dresser you built and they could go up to it and pick from a colour wheel. Can't remember it's name.. :(

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 11, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I really need 'RimWorld has settled down and stopped reactively patching things and things like EdB interface and Improved Surgery have been updated to work with the new release' alerts.

That would be good information for the OP. Here is the current release, what state it's in (currently in omg that doesn't work right, quick release another patch!) and what major mods are compatible with it

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A game is a large thing, particularly now where you have people so invested in computer games (at the cost of all else..) that they become an integral part of their lives.

A single guy, or small business of a few guys will never be able to produce like a team of professionals.

You can pull out outliers and say oh but what about this sperglord that made a good game.. but you're being a fool.

Apply this to open source, Linux and a million other examples. Go and look at ARK and see what a real team of developers can get done in an amazing timeframe.

An important point in technology is regardless of how brilliant you are, large projects cannot be properly handled by individuals. There is simply too much to do and too many decisions to make.

So, it doesn't actually matter so much that you're a coding god. Your prowess with the technology is secondary to your ability to work in teams, if you want to do truly epic things. That's a lesson for life, right there.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No prob. So being a snarky bitch doesn't actually get you anywhere.

Good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, I'll try one more time.

Single man teams, even a few people are pretty much always going to come up short. There is just too much to do.

It's no surprise Tynan feels like this.. he's a particularly good example too.

The ARK dev team are currently showing everyone else how it's done. If you don't see this, then I don't know what you see.

So thanks to Tynan for his cool game. I've enjoyed it, I've played through a few times but I've got no real desire to go back because there really isn't enough depth to keep replaying through it.