Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Pawns aren't as attracted to ugly pawns? This is an outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Just lost a colony to a pack of about a dozen man hunting muffalo who walked through my trap corridor unscathed and overwhelmed my 3 dudes with machine guns. Aren't traps supposed to work on animals? I know it says small animals can avoid triggering them.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

What's the best material to make melee weapons out of? Steel? Granite?

Plasteel if it's a stabby weapon, heavy stuff like gold for smashin' weapons I guess, but I don't use them.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Does a weapon's deterioration level affect it's performance, or is it only based on quality? I've got several high quality weapons laying around that are like 20/100 because my colonists couldn't get them indoors fast enough.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

I usually just forbid the pile of medicine until a situation comes up where it's worth using.

I do this too but inevitably I will forget to unforbid it until well after my doctor attempts to install a bionic spine on my pawn using herbs. Some sort of customizable priority system would be nice, where bruises and scratches get herbal medicine and glitterworld is reserved for complicated surgeries only.

On an unrelated note, I wonder how difficult it would be to mod in sidearms. I want my dudes to be able to carry both a gun and a sword. It would eliminate a lot of micromanagement and lessen the chance of a rifle wielding dude being mauled to death by a pack of squirrels because he was forced to punch them. It could be balanced by encumbering them a bit, and taking a moment to swap weapons of course. Also think of how badass it would be to draw swords and charge down a fleeing group of raiders, slaughtering them heroically.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 12, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

GodspeedSphere posted:

how do you guys deal with steel scarcity?

Mountain starts :v:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Has anyone successfully grown devilstrand in the first year? (With a normal 30 day growing season). Thought it would be a good idea to get a bunch of devilstrand shirts up before the raid difficulty increased but because they grow so slowly, they will inevitably be wiped out by blight or fire. Seems easier just to crank out armored vests\hats, but it eats up precious components.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 24, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
You'd have to prioritize hauling over mining but that's not efficient either because they can carry more than they can mine at once so they'll leave with 35 at a time and it'll take forever.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I can't play until enhanced crafting is updated, being able to specify which pawn works on which job is so huge and needs to be a core feature.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

What’s the best way to use heat to kill raiders? A shitload of campfires? Put the kill box near a geothermal event and have everything made of fire-resistant blocks?

It's tricky in vanilla, but there are mods that have remotely triggered doors that are perfect for sealing them inside such a deathtrap.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that makes caravan members able to eat forbidden food or otherwise streamlines the process of reserving certain food types for caravaning? It's really tedious to have to change food restrictions every time I send one out. I know I can just forbid the individual stacks I want to reserve but that's tedious too because they often get snatched up before they even make it to the freezer, along with various other nuisances that require micromanagement.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 31, 2019

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Only maybe imbalanced part is the hostile faction it adds since it sends small numbers of comparatively highly armed and armored pawn's drugged to the gills and they either spell death or a sudden boost in power for an early colony. But that's more a taste thing really.

I like to use KV's Faction Control mod to remove them, so I can still research the late game stuff but not have to deal with glitterworld space marines in the early game. It's too bad there's no way to introduce them later on though, when you're teched up and bored of slaughtering throngs of tribals and outlanders.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Heat death traps are fun but are generally less reliable and more trouble than they're worth, if you're looking for an efficient raider killing setup. A simple trap lined corridor that empties out into a killbox works wonders.

The only time I've ever seen internal temps rise so fast that pawns died of heat stroke before they could escape was a conduit explosion in a stockpile that heated my mountain base up to like 300 degrees almost instantly. I don't run conduits near my stockpile any more.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 19, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that lets you specify a quantity of an item to keep in a stockpile? I wonder if this is even possible within the game's code. I like using increased stack sizes and deep storage but I also want certain items in multiple locations for accessibility reasons. For example I want to keep one stock of herbal medicine in my drug lab and another in my prison, but the stack in the prison doesn't need to have more than 20 or 30. It would be nice if there was a "mini" stockpile you could use for instances like this.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

I found one for 1.1 ([Remade+Updated] Stockpile Stack Limit), and comments suggest it works with 1.2.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

In addition to the other mod mentioned, Rimworld Search Agency also adds a slider that lets you set a maximum % each tile in the stockpile should be filled to. It does work with Deep Storage furniture, but the search functionality itself has this aggravating bug in 1.2 where it sometimes switches back to old search results on you.

These look useful, thanks! I think I've found a sweet spot with deep storage + simple storage and vanilla stack sizes, which has the added bonus of looking pretty cool.

Speaking of mods, I'm running Android Tiers and some annoying things that can happen are androids showing up in crashed escape pods who shrug off the damage and leave before you can capture/rescue them, and dumpy T1 androids showing up as quest rewards. If I use KV faction control to eliminate them from my world, will that make them go away while also being able to build them on my own? I don't really care if there are android factions on the map, I just want to play around with the skymind stuff later. But when the aforementioned things happen it can feel like being robbed of a potential new colonist.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 12, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Perhaps I underestimated T1 androids. I've never seen one with particularly high skill and their work speed/move penalty makes them feel pretty useless at times, though being able to work 24/7 is nice. Usually I'd rather have a colonist with low skill but training potential and/or good traits. I haven't delved deep into the android tiers mechanics yet, can they eventually be upgraded?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

Finally figured out the power of a main entrance with autodoors with a side entrance with twisty hallways lined with traps.

Now to figure out how the hell clothing layering/outfit orders work. Should I have my pawns all in full gear at all times?

You can set up an outfit that includes armor for battles and switch on the fly but honestly by the time your pawns change their gear the enemy will be beating down your front door anyways so I have never bothered. You could micro it to save a little time but I'm always looking for ways to avoid micro in Rimworld. Not to mention if raiders crash in through your bedroom roofs, you absolutely want to already be wearing armor.

Usually I'll have a standard outfit that includes dusters (preferably thrumbofur), chain mail (comes from the vanilla armor expanded mod, a skin layer armor that covers everything shoulders down and has decent protection at the cost of a slight move speed penalty), flak vest, and helmet. For vanilla clothing substitute chainmail with button down shirts and pants, aiming to eventually make them thrumbofur or hyperweave. Heavy fur is good for early game before you can mass thrumbofur. Then I force wear shield belts on my melee pawns, and with this kind of setup they have pretty reasonable protection, enough to melee block a corridor and tank some fairly large raids/infestations.

Ideally you'd have some dedicated soldiers in heavy armor at all times but I prefer to play with 10-12 colonists max and I usually need them all unencumbered because I need them all working at max capacity. If I had 20+ colonists I'd have more delineation between lightly armored workers and heavily armored soldiers.

Oh and huge shoutout to the mend and repair mod. It works beautifully in conjunction with the everyone gets one mod - just set your tailor/machining tables to make 1 per colonist + 1 or 2 of whatever armor/apparel item you want, and then set up a mending table to repair them. When a pawn's clothing drops below the durability threshold, they'll swap it out for the spare item, and then someone will mend the old one, creating the next spare. Completely takes the micromanagement out of clothing, just specify how many items of what material you want at your work benches and your pawns take care of the rest.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 14, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Besides CE are there any mods that improve\rebalance armor mechanics? Having limbs cracked by chinchilla heads through heavy armor doesn't feel like something that should ever happen.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

There's Yayo's Combat which significantly changes the combat values and visuals but doesn't fundamentally alter the mechanics.

You can also disable parts of CE like the ammo system if you don't want them to be so fiddly. Though that also means you can't use AP ammo so mechanoids will be hard to deal with.

Oh wow, that looks worth it for the slick combat animations alone. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

I love combat extended, I just hate that it breaks other mods that I also love, but from time to time I do a CE compatible run and it's pretty awesome.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

HelloSailorSign posted:

Time to cull the colony and eliminate the massive stockpiles, with the 14 pawns and 10 animals I took along it took near 30 seconds for each click to register on the caravan formation screen. :V

I'm probably going to check out that mod that allows investigation of what's taking processing time. I'm guessing it's Vanilla Brewing and Soups, as I built loads of processors.

In my experience the cause of the lag is the automatic food and supplies option. I always disable it first and the caravan interface works smoothly even in a big colony.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

hopeandjoy posted:

Why does auto food default to bringing meals instead of pemmican or survival meals anyway.

Why would I want to bring my perishable fine meals when I’ve got a stack of 50 survival meals specially for caravaning.

It seems to prefer food that will increase mood, which is probably not a terrible idea if it's a short caravan trip, especially if travelling to an encounter where injuries and other negative moodlets are possible because late game pawns with high expectations go insane pretty quickly when deprived of their golden statues and royal bedrooms\dining halls.

I do wish you could disable it by default though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Does constructing furniture in the dark only affect the work speed or does it affect the resulting quality as well?

Edit: Haha, the vanilla furniture expanded: security mod adds catapults that can hurl rocks like primitive mortars at people, with the unintended side effect of sieging raiders being able to load their regular mortars with rocks. You had a pile of HE shells right there, guy!

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 16, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

can you load a catapult with HE shells

this is important

Sadly no. One downside is that they will barrage you forever so long as they can find stone chunks to hurl, and while not as potent as HE shells they are still capable of smashing through your roof and obliterating your dumpster full of corn, or removing an unlucky colonist's shoulder.

Usually I have a strong counter battery in place to blow up the sieging raiders but just prior to this, I learned that a single tile roof over your mortar shell crate doesn't offer the protection against lightning that I thought it did and an errant strike deleted it along with most of my mortars from the resulting explosion.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Moon Slayer posted:

The way I understand it is that they will make a beeline to the nearest table whenever they're hungry; if there isn't a table in a certain range they'll eat right there and get the debuff. There's no way to set priority for tables to eat at.

Which is why I use this mod: No Carried Food, and keep my meals stored near the dining room I want them to use.

This works, but there's an equally annoying edge case where a miner will hike to the far reaches of the map to dig some resources when they're near the hunger threshold, causing them to dig one tile and immediately walk all the way back to eat.

Pawns are dumb and preventing every negative moodlet is sort of a lost cause, even with mods. That's why I just ensure that they are looking at pretty statues wherever they go to offset as much of it as possible.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Thx for the input. I'm just gonna deal like I do with all the other small imperfections. One of my biggest issues in that regard is the vanilla hauling/pick up system btw. Like if my miner finishes something they run off to the next task instead of just picking up the poo poo they just mined to drop it on the way. Or my cook who picks up one part of the fine meal from the freezer, puts it on the stove and goes back to the freezer to get the other part. Why can't just pick up both parts at once? I'm using a mod which lets your pawns use their full inventory to haul better which helps a lot but things like this still annoy me :v:

The best use case for Rimfridge IMO is putting them right next to the stove, setting one to accept vegetables and one to accept meat, so your chef doesn't even have to move to take the ingredients. Even better if you're using increased stack sizes or a deep storage fridge.

Another alternative is to use the mod that lets you cook meals in batches of 4 so fewer trips are made overall. (This might be a vanilla feature now, I can't remember exactly. I thought it was a mod but going through my mod list I'm not seeing it).

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 19, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

What's the dang point of going to space? I don't want the game to end, I want to build a fort and trade with dudes and kill raiders.

I haven't played around with it yet but SRTS adds some late game non-spaceships that function as transports + caravans that can theoretically be used for more efficient trading and raider killing.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I'm about at the point where I need to start getting some walls surrounding my base, is it still leaving an opening at a natural rock formation with a maze of traps and stuff that is the best option for a killzone type situation?

Pretty much. You want an outer wall with only one way in (raiders largely ignore doors so feel free to place them for easy colonist access). The caveat is that there needs to be a valid target within the outer wall that the raiders can path to, be it a solar panel or a crop field or a torch or whatever, otherwise they will just start beating on the walls.

Then just create a boxed in area where the mazes spills into, with barricades + walls on one end. The barricades provide cover, but the raiders will still attempt to path over them. Pave it over with concrete so there's zero cover.

I'm using embrasures here but it's perfectly fine without them. The barbed wire is from the vanilla extended security mod which is a kind of trap that does very little damage but slows enemies down significantly. It's also fine without them. I have a fallback position out of frame on the bottom where I can set up a melee block if I get overrun.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 20, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Weapons are always good.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
All of my hospital beds have 114% immunity gain and their quality spans from good to masterwork. Surgery chance and rest effectiveness seem to be the only things quality affects.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

This is with vitals monitor, of course, but that just increases them all equally.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's a bit of a shame that quality doesn't improve immunity gain but I get why it doesn't because you would be able to break the disease system in half with even a few percentage increases.

You can experiment with this for yourself by modifying it with a scenario effect.

The vanilla furniture expanded: medical module has IV drip stands you can place by beds to boost immunity gain by 10 percent if anyone is looking for a way to boost it that isn't completely game breaking. They cost medicine and you need one for every bed so they are relatively balanced.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The haul urgently task from that mod is great! Also note that you can shift+click on the header of any job column to set everybody's priorities simultaneously, making it easier to shift everyone over to hauling or cleaning or whatever in a pinch.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

But how will you deal with infestation in mountain base?

Melee blocks as mentioned are a great way to deal with them. Another way is to set up a honey pot - a dark area of your base with overhead mountains, a few IED traps, and lots of combustible things inside. Since infestations are biased towards spawning in dark areas, some of them will occur there. Not all of them, but it's pretty hilarious to watch them scramble around burning to a crisp.

Just keep it far away enough from the rest of your base that the superheated air doesn't cook your colonists too.

They also won't spawn anywhere there's 100 percent light so if you're ballin' and have lots of power you could just throw sun lamps down everywhere. Seems pretty impractical though, and the meat\jelly you get from them is worth a lot of silver, so I welcome them.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 21, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Decided to try some naked brutality + extreme desert starts to see how I'd fare after playing mostly safe colonies.

First 6 or 7 runs ended in days either due to starvation, or infected iguana bites.

8th run got some amazing luck and when it finally looked like things were starting to stabilize, I got cocky and engaged a naked scrub raider in melee who by all rights should not have won against my 11 melee brawler pawn with some armor and a high quality weapon but :shrug:

Then I decided to try again in tropical rainforest to make it a bit easier and I died of malaria on day 3 :v:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Rimfridge solves all of these dilemmas elegantly without being blatantly cheaty. Also with the Vanilla Cooking Expanded mod you can tin your raw food at a small steel cost, potentially eliminating the need to freeze raw food forever if you're so inclined.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Normal brain: Put a dining chair at your stove
Big brain: Put a guinea pig fur chair at your stove
Galaxy brain: Put a royal bed at your stove.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

silentsnack posted:

Where on this scale does "everyone gets a bedroom/workstation combo" fit?

I'm not sure but that reminds me of the time I had to move my android chef's recharge pod into the corpse freezer because originally it was in the kitchen and one of my colonists was jealous of his "bedroom".

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I haven't tried it yet but the Simple Chains: Leather mod overhauls the way leather is made and gives the various textiles specific strengths and weaknesses, though mostly when used as clothing and not so much as furniture. Looks interesting if you get bored of decking everybody out in Thrumbofur.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Drives me nuts when a colonist will choose a good devilstrand duster over a normal thrumbofur one when the latter is much more likely to save their life. But dusters, flak vests and maybe helmets are usually the only thing I force on them. I also disallow all utility items, as I prefer to decide who gets the good shield belts and insanity lances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Give her an armorskin gland, a painstopper, and some go-juice. Incapable of violent doesn't mean incapable of standing still while blocking a corridor or distracting a dangerous enemy. Frail can be cured with healer mech serum, and bad backs are easily fixed with bionic spines.