Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It looks like someone trying to rip off Can't Hardly Wait, which was already kind of a throwback movie to 80s teen romps. And that was 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I think he's trying to get in the "desperately out of touch Dad who wants to make jokes that relate to his high school daughter's hot friend" market.

What a boring concept that's a in a trilogy with another sloppy movie that was a flop. He never fails to fail to rise to the occasion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

InstaCan.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Last Buffalo posted:

I think he's trying to get in the "desperately out of touch Dad who wants to make jokes that relate to his high school daughter's hot friend" market.

What are you talking about? You make him sound like a creepy old man.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Even as a kid I thought that the reason for becoming lesbian was really weak. She didn't want to leave out half of the population... so she decides to date only half of the population....

Doesn't this excuse only work for bi people?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

KidVanguard posted:

Even as a kid I thought that the reason for becoming lesbian was really weak. She didn't want to leave out half of the population... so she decides to date only half of the population....

Doesn't this excuse only work for bi people?

well for one, by most conventional definitoons, Alyssa is bisexual.

for two, in your day to day life, do you require the people you know to have strong reasons for "becoming" their sexual orientation?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I present this without comment.

Well spoilers for upcoming Kevin Smith films I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wow that sounds stupid

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Not making movies just to please audiences because you're trying to do something interesting or personal and not making movies to please audiences because you're consumed by your own self-indulgence are entirely different motives.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

wow that sounds stupid

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Sounds like he's conceding the point that no one watches his stuff anymore. Tusk cost a paltry $5 million and didn't make it's money back in it's theatrical run.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lesbians only hang out with other lesbians, and when one of them dates a man, they say "Another one bites the dust" in mourning for the shrinking sisterhood.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm still pissed that in better hands Tusk would have been a brilliantly absurd idea for a horror comedy but it had to come from Kevin loving Smith.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Concept for a horror movie: Someone has a great idea, but it can only be made by Kevin Smith.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Concept for a horror movie: Someone has a great idea, but it can only be made by Kevin Smith.

They already made Exit Through The Giftshop

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

They already made Exit Through The Giftshop

I've been meaning to watch that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Toady posted:

Lesbians only hang out with other lesbians, and when one of them dates a man, they say "Another one bites the dust" in mourning for the shrinking sisterhood.
A movie in the 90s that deals with bi erasure, a concept still never spoken about in really any art nearly twenty years later.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

A movie in the 90s that deals with bi erasure, a concept still never spoken about in really any art nearly twenty years later.

I'm sayin'.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I sure wish we had a second thread for kevin smith fans. Every time i learn a new term like "Bi-Erasure" i get one step closer to killing and eating other humans.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

wow that sounds stupid

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I sure wish we had a second thread for kevin smith fans. Every time i learn a new term like "Bi-Erasure" i get one step closer to killing and eating other humans.

I'm sorry learning about social problems makes you crave human flesh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does Kevin Smith still have fans?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
A few of them got very defensive and angry earlier in the thread. It was funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes I wonder what Kevin Smith's career would have been like if he stopped smoking weed for like five seconds.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes I wonder what Kevin Smith's career would have been like if he stopped smoking weed for like five seconds.

Didn't he only start in his thirties or something? Weed is not the problem.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still really like his early movies, for the most part. It's about when he started getting big enough that people asked him to write Batman comics that his work became horrendous.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I like him on podcasts still, even if I only listen to Fat man on Batman, but I haven't liked any of his movies since Clerks 2.

I do think Yoga Hosers look kinda interesting though.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't dislike Kevin Smith. He seems nice. The only movies of his I still like are Clerks and Mallrats. Mallrats is bad, but I like it. Clerks is probably bad, but its vibe just works for me.

I just think he gets irritating sometimes, and his movies are mostly forgettable. The only one I've seen that I outright dislike these days is Chasing Amy, and that's mainly because I want to slap every lead character. Hooper X is cool, though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, when Zach & Miri bombed

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
He's a good guy, I really enjoyed his stand up when he came to Colorado in December. Guy is a great conversationalist, storyteller, dialogue writer, and interviewer. Director? I enjoyed his 90s work a lot (especially dogma, but I'm an ex-Catholic), Clerks 2, and Zack and Miri. Skipped all the others because I heard they were really bad. I have a Jersey Girl DVD moldering in storage signed by Kevin and some of the cast that I've never bothered to watch

He's also a consistently great panel host at San Diego Comic Con.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

He actually only really started with Seth Rogen introduced him to it, and then he became a massive pothead. He said that prior to then he'd barely touched it. Proof, if needed, that drugs to not necessarily help the artistic process.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I don't dislike Kevin Smith. He seems nice.

He's nice until you cross him is some way. I lost count of the number of celebrities he's publicly lambasted.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The worst crime Kevin Smith commits is always making that big stupid- I'm in a lovely 80s teen comedy and someone just covertly jammed a thumb into my rear end in a top hat- face in his photos lately.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

mysterious frankie posted:

The worst crime Kevin Smith commits is always making that big stupid- I'm in a lovely 80s teen comedy and someone just covertly jammed a thumb into my rear end in a top hat- face in his photos lately.

I listen to all his podcasts and watch all his movies and shows, And i think you're seeing too much of his face if you notice that kind of thing. He does have a distinct "Oh look, a camera" face, but what exactly it looks like i cannot picture.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I listen to all his podcasts and watch all his movies and shows, And i think you're seeing too much of his face if you notice that kind of thing. He does have a distinct "Oh look, a camera" face, but what exactly it looks like i cannot picture.

Do you also have a fullsize photo of him that you rub up against while moaning his name?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Vagabundo posted:

Do you also have a fullsize photo of him that you rub up against while moaning his name?

We all do. It's part of SA Forums terms of service.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

PiedPiper posted:

We all do. It's part of SA Forums terms of service.

I don't know how you got one of those, since those were reserved for early Forums account members. After 2013, you should have only gotten a Joss Whedon for signing up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Mine got lost in the mail :negative:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't know how you got one of those, since those were reserved for early Forums account members. After 2013, you should have only gotten a Joss Whedon for signing up.

My uncle works at SA Forums.

Back to Kevin Smith discussion. Has anyone read Batman: The Widening Gyre by ours truly?
It's a perfect shitstorm of fanfiction-level writing, deviantart-level drawings and kevinsmith-level characters.

Here, for example, we have anatomically challenged Batman abusing his soon-to-be wife because he thought she was a robot or something:

It is ALMOST as fun as it sounds. But in a different, trainwreck-y kind of way.
It's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
jesus, his right arm is about 4 inches long.

• Locked thread