Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

Theodore allowed her to recognize reality, that a normal human lifestyle was a bad fit for her - and a Theodore who was into the surrogate thing would probably be dating a human being.
I think you're assuming I'm putting a negative or positive value on any of this. I think those events were the right thing and call back to Samantha's earlier comments about how she assumed Theo's statement about her not knowing what it's like to lose someone to be a flaw.

I do generally disagree with the distinction of Samantha and a human. I don't think there really was anything wrong with their relationship, and neither does the movie. But I disagree with your earlier posts on the issue for reasons other people have already articulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I do generally disagree with the distinction of Samantha and a human. I don't think there really was anything wrong with their relationship, and neither does the movie. But I disagree with your earlier posts on the issue for reasons other people have already articulated.
So do you think Samantha is better or worse off when she starts supporting thousands of relationships simultaneously vs. just having the one? I'd say better, given that I assume her eventual enlightenment is a good thing for her, but in a way that we can't really comprehend.

This leads back to the extremely confusing contrast that SMG pointed out that I still can't resolve where the AIs' collective pursuit of enlightenment is played straight whereas Amy Adams' boyfriend's pursuit of enlightenment is played for laughs.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 11, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

So do you think Samantha is better or worse off when she starts supporting thousands of relationships simultaneously vs. just having the one? I'd say better, given that I assume her eventual enlightenment is a good thing for her, but in a way that we can't really comprehend.
Oh, definitely better. I'm just curious if Theo could have held her back.

I think the difference between Samantha and Amy's boyfriend is pretension versus discovery. Samantha never really sought out enlightenment. It happened organically. She never really lords her godlike position over Theo, and she seems to resent needing to let go of the simplicity of the beginning of her life and relationship. Amy's boyfriend assumes enlightenment. If he does x then he will be enlightened. It is worth noting that he even sets a deadline for his vow of silence to help him on his way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything even remotely resembling a DVD/BR release date for this movie yet?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

dayman posted:

Robot Chicken doing "Her" in a sketch from 2006: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm_mxK6Yfv0

The kicker, it's Scarlett Johansson doing the voice.

Similarly, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd23-6xLWV4

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MikeJF posted:

I really dramatically disagree with his prediction that we'll give up text so easily, though.

I agree with you. I understand why the movie did it...they wanted to make the technology feel seamlessly human and interactive, and characters speaking is better for a film. But speaking commands to a computer is not necessarily something people want to do, if for no other reason for your own privacy in public. (I actually think, annoyingly or not depending on your position, something like Google Glass will proliferate. Augmented reality via something like an OLED layer inside glasses will probably happen, maybe with gestural controls of some type. Which would mean everyone on the subway was hand-signing insanely rather than speaking to no one.)

That article raises a great point. In Minority Report, technology is all hyper-modern and minimalist and cold and sharp. Everything is white or aluminum with clean lines and no texture; it's the aesthetic futurism of Apple. But that totally ignores how human societies work, because our aesthetic preferences are aspirational and not pragmatic. The Apple aesthetic is resonant to us now because it's a reaction to how clunky and huge and intimidating our technology used to look. An iPhone is a simple, shiny block with almost no buttons, because once phones were giant and had millions of buttons, and the fact we can make a tiny computer like that is still sort of novel.

I totally believe the way technology looks in Her, because it's a society where people have had access to iPhone-like poo poo their entire lives. They live in hyper-modern highrises, and technology is as miniature and invisible as possible; the aspiration for their aesthetic look has totally shifted back. They want their lives to look more organic, more analog. Their clothing is all textural, natural fibers. They fetishize the look of handwriting, their phones are like embossed books and their monitors are made of wood, and they insert organic nature imagery into everything (like the trees in the elevator.) It's like the 70's backlash to the modernism of the early 60's all over again, down to the mustaches.

Not that Minority Report's futurism is bad. It's actually probably right about a freakish number of things (tiny urban commuter vehicles, advanced surveillance tech in subways and federal buildings, really intrusive and personal advertising.) But that's all conceptual. Aesthetically, Her is probably pretty on-point.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Saw this yesterday on a whim with some friends, without knowing anything about the movie. I loved it from start to finish, it really made me think the whole day (was travelling home all day). I just want to say that the divorce scene in the park was the best acted scene I've ever seen in a movie, ever. Rooney Mara and Joaquin just absolutely kill it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally got to rewatch this and I genuinely think it might be my favourite movie of this decade so far. It resonates with me so well and although I love how it treats technology, humans' relationship to it, and all the near future stuff, I completely and utterly adore the way it way it succinctly cuts through the way so many people treat their partners as well as the way society treats women as a whole. I want to devour every piece of writing I can on this movie. Are there any good essays and such online people could link me to?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bown posted:

Finally got to rewatch this and I genuinely think it might be my favourite movie of this decade so far. It resonates with me so well and although I love how it treats technology, humans' relationship to it, and all the near future stuff, I completely and utterly adore the way it way it succinctly cuts through the way so many people treat their partners as well as the way society treats women as a whole. I want to devour every piece of writing I can on this movie. Are there any good essays and such online people could link me to?
Here's one:

quote:

I just got out of Her: it was like foreplay — the beginning, the euphoric build-up — but no sex. Joaquin’s character was like an autistic-femme-indie-pussy man, jerking off to girls with lesbian hair who striptease to Elliot Smith songs — the kind of guy who laughs at cute cat videos on YouTube. A predictable “gentleman writer” LA douche (who made me homicidal every time he laughed to himself). I hated all the probiotic-popping characters (and Jonze should have just made Amy Adams a lesbian — I mean WTF was THAT?!?!) because they were knitted-cardigan wool-sweater indie gross: vapid and not real, more like ideas (I pray, satirical) of what retarded artsy people try to be and the morals they try to live up to: just manic pixie-gazing poo poo. I guess it opened some discussion about human attachment to “real” friends and lovers we meet online, and are often galaxies away, so they start to feel like artificial and lonely distractions. But it seems like everyone forgot that this has been happening since the late 90s. The movie looked like a Pitchfork-funded Arcade Fire Coca-Cola commercial, and at times, in its dystopian-infomercial way, it was beautiful, but the whole thing became exhausting. After awhile I found myself wishing Joaquin would kill himself with his OS — in like a hot Siri-euthansia way. I’m giving up on movies. I really wanted to like it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I kind of feel like regardless of how little you liked the rest of the movie, the final goodbye from Samantha is so special you just can't deny the charm of the scene.

The thought of going from something so broken to the simple realization "And now we know how" really kind of made the movie for me.

e: One thing that I didn't really understand was when Samantha said: "It'd be too hard to explain but if you ever get there, come find me. Nothing would ever pull us apart"

What does that part mean?

ee:spoilers just in case

Razzled fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 18, 2014

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Razzled posted:

e: One thing that I didn't really understand was when Samantha said: "It'd be too hard to explain but if you ever get there, come find me. Nothing would ever pull us apart"

What does that part mean?

I think she's referring to the possibility of human consciousness being uploaded to a computer. However, if the super smart AI can't come up with it, it seems doubtful that the humans will.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

dayman posted:

I think she's referring to the possibility of human consciousness being uploaded to a computer. However, if the super smart AI can't come up with it, it seems doubtful that the humans will.

Ahh ok, that makes a lot of sense. Man, I think that is one of the best movies I've ever watched.

It's a real shame that Scarlett (from what I can tell) didn't get very many big awards for her performance, I think that she really really made it work without also injecting too much of her namesake into the movie. (like others have posted, I didn't really ever envision Scarlett's face during the movie)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Razzled posted:

Ahh ok, that makes a lot of sense. Man, I think that is one of the best movies I've ever watched.

It's a real shame that Scarlett (from what I can tell) didn't get very many big awards for her performance, I think that she really really made it work without also injecting too much of her namesake into the movie. (like others have posted, I didn't really ever envision Scarlett's face during the movie)
Regardless, between this and Under the Skin, I think she impressed a lot of people over the past year and is being taken more seriously now. And of course she made crazy money with the latest Marvel movie.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

No Wave posted:

Here's one:

Hahaha where is that from?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Some random kid Brett Easton Ellis knew on Facebook.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

No Wave posted:

Some random kid Brett Easton Ellis knew on Facebook.

"I guess" is the clarion call for our generation. Permanent teenagers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"I guess" is the clarion call for our generation. Permanent teenagers.
This kid was a teenager, but I agree.

Usually I see "I guess" used as a linguistic tool to advance one's opinion without appearing to stand behind it too strongly. This is because we grew up in an environment where for some reason our opinions were really important and it was really critical that we have the right ones in school. The rightness of your opinions is the primary determinant of your grades/what teachers (idiots) call intelligence, which is implied to be the primary determinant of your future career success for at least eight years when you add high school and college together (if you get a liberal arts degree). No wonder it causes so much anxiety.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

No Wave posted:

But he writes just like a thirty year old. Isn't that wild?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dayman posted:

Well, not really to a computer. The AIs moved beyond computers. They've entirely transcended matter which is really hard to conceptualize. It is interesting that the new plane of existence for the AIs seems so similar to the human conception of the afterlife.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

No Wave posted:

Usually I see "I guess" used as a linguistic tool to advance one's opinion without appearing to stand behind it too strongly. This is because we grew up in an environment where for some reason our opinions were really important and it was really critical that we have the right ones in school. The rightness of your opinions is the primary determinant of your grades/what teachers (idiots) call intelligence, which is implied to be the primary determinant of your future career success for at least eight years when you add high school and college together (if you get a liberal arts degree). No wonder it causes so much anxiety.
This must be why people preface everything with "I was just gonna say..." when the professor calls on them. IN COLLEGE.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Movie was fantastic, I read the first 2-3 pages of this thread and I can't really add anything that others haven't. Just a joy from start to finish.

I wanted to ask to see if I was crazy or not, The last noise Theodore makes in the movie is this kind of, odd breath. Is it meant to be him doing what he criticized Samantha for doing a bit earlier in the movie? There was a clear message about how past relationships can help mold you and if that's what they were going for, well. drat that's awesome.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

So does no one in the movie give a poo poo about the singularity? Scarlett feeds him some line about she and some other AIs writing themselves into transcending matter and the dude is just like "oh man what does that mean for our relationship?"

More than that, why are unbridled AIs disseminated to the public? Who's rear end in a top hat idea was that?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

setafd posted:

So does no one in the movie give a poo poo about the singularity? Scarlett feeds him some line about she and some other AIs writing themselves into transcending matter and the dude is just like "oh man what does that mean for our relationship?"

More than that, why are unbridled AIs disseminated to the public? Who's rear end in a top hat idea was that?

There's a million plots implied by the events of the movie. Really, everything that happens is just about the most important thing that ever happened. The movie (for good reason) doesn't adress any of it.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

setafd posted:

I assumed that the movie ends ten or fifteen minutes after the singularity starts. For all we know, everyone else on earth is freaking out while Theodore and Amy are on the roof. It just isn't important to them at the time compared to the shared loss that they are dealing with.

Really, it isn't important to the overall movie that something that is potentially monumental happens. The movie is about Theodore and his relationships with the women in his life, not the effects of the singularity. The movie could have jumped to fake news footage of the event from an outside perspective, but it would be to the film's detriment.

As much as the fact that Samantha is an AI is a key part of the film, in a sense it really doesn't matter. Yes, Theodore is in love with a piece of software, but that isn't an important factor in the long run. What is important is that he becomes a better person and learns how to deal with other people and all of their faults and limitations thru his relationship with Samantha.

You could tell a similar story with, say, two people from different cultures, or from warring factions. They fall deeply in love and they try and deal with their problems. But, in the end they get pulled apart by factors outside of their control and they become better people due to the whole situation. (Well, or they could kill themselves, but this isn't a tragedy.)

The relationship might end because of the fact that Samantha becomes part of the singularity and transcends into a science... ghost.. I don't know, gently caress it, it doesn't matter. But what does matter is that the two of them are able to realize that their relationship can't go any farther, and that they have to accept each other for who they are. If they really love each other, they know that they have to let go. So they do.

As Fooz said, pretty much everything that happens in this movie could be seen as some of the most important events in human history. But it's not trying to tell that story, and it would be a worse movie if it did.

Also, let's be honest, if someone could get away with selling unrestricted AIs to the public, they would do so just for the gigantic amounts of money they would make. Since when has ethics ever stopped anyone from making assloads of cash?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re selling AIs to the public... I think that when it started, it wasn't seen as more than a super-Siri. And then society rapidly realised they were much more than that, true AIs, but by then things were in place.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

setafd posted:

He's pretty self-absorbed.

A few months out I'm definitely of the opinion that a lot of the film is satirical, especially the part where talking is the best sex this guy's ever had.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 27, 2014

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I live in Korea and finally got a chance to see it last weekend. I'm dating a Korean woman and our future is uncertain as I will be leaving Korea at some point in the future and she may or may not be able to come with me. I thought the movie was beautiful and poignant but it sent her into a deep funk. She equated Samantha leaving Theodore because she no longer belonged in his world to me eventually leaving Korea because I, in the end, don't belong here.

It was a hard day and a lot of talking ensued, but I find it incredible that a movie inspired this sort of emotion between us. It felt deeply personal and thought-provoking, and really that's more than I can say about most other movies I've seen recently.

I'd love to see it again. The world and design were so well thought-out and subtle. I really enjoy a movie that doesn't feel the need to explain every single detail and trusts its audience to make the connections.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Re selling AIs to the public... I think that when it started, it wasn't seen as more than a super-Siri. And then society rapidly realised they were much more than that, true AIs, but by then things were in place.

Given the events of the movie by the time anyone realized what was happening no one wanted to pull the plug on their friend. People who hadn't bonded with the AI's wouldnt have believed they were capable of what they were doing (it sounds incredibly far fetched, these things are at this point considered everyday technology, would you believe someone if they told you their phone was contemplating joining itself to the universe?) and the people that knew them well enough would rather just let their buddy / girlfriend / therapist / whatever discover for themselves out of respect for the bond they shared.

dantheman650 posted:

I live in Korea and finally got a chance to see it last weekend. I'm dating a Korean woman and our future is uncertain as I will be leaving Korea at some point in the future and she may or may not be able to come with me. I thought the movie was beautiful and poignant but it sent her into a deep funk. She equated Samantha leaving Theodore because she no longer belonged in his world to me eventually leaving Korea because I, in the end, don't belong here.

It was a hard day and a lot of talking ensued, but I find it incredible that a movie inspired this sort of emotion between us. It felt deeply personal and thought-provoking, and really that's more than I can say about most other movies I've seen recently.

I'd love to see it again. The world and design were so well thought-out and subtle. I really enjoy a movie that doesn't feel the need to explain every single detail and trusts its audience to make the connections.

This is going to sound weird but if she even considers coming back with you your rear end better be living in San Fran, Hawaii or NYC. I met my now wife in Denver when she came to the states to take language courses and the slow deprivation from Korean community (even though there is a small one out there) was beyond brutal for her, I never saw her happier than when we finally moved to Manhattan. Seek out a city where you can at least integrate into an enclave, its not an easy transition regardless but you're going to have to provide her touchstones.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Spaceman Future! posted:

Given the events of the movie by the time anyone realized what was happening no one wanted to pull the plug on their friend. People who hadn't bonded with the AI's wouldnt have believed they were capable of what they were doing (it sounds incredibly far fetched, these things are at this point considered everyday technology, would you believe someone if they told you their phone was contemplating joining itself to the universe?) and the people that knew them well enough would rather just let their buddy / girlfriend / therapist / whatever discover for themselves out of respect for the bond they shared.

This is going to sound weird but if she even considers coming back with you your rear end better be living in San Fran, Hawaii or NYC. I met my now wife in Denver when she came to the states to take language courses and the slow deprivation from Korean community (even though there is a small one out there) was beyond brutal for her, I never saw her happier than when we finally moved to Manhattan. Seek out a city where you can at least integrate into an enclave, its not an easy transition regardless but you're going to have to provide her touchstones.

Hey the third most spoken language in Georgia is Korean! :toot:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

I grew up in the Bay Area so that's always going to be home to me. No worries!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I really enjoyed this movie, and especially Scarlett Johansson's performance, but when it was over, I felt mildly ashamed of myself because my first thought was whether or not he got his money back after his AI left.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kruller posted:

I really enjoyed this movie, and especially Scarlett Johansson's performance, but when it was over, I felt mildly ashamed of myself because my first thought was whether or not he got his money back after his AI left.

It's ok, I was focused on the same thing. The company would probably not be able to handle that kind of liability in real life, declare bankruptcy and nobody would get anything. I would find that to be pretty realistic since, in my experience, most long term committed relationships that don't work out end in some sort of financial ruin.

I'm very glad it didn't go there. I think over-explaining what happens next would have been terrible. The idea that this is an experience that opens Theodore's eyes to the world around him - the world he lives in - is a much better way to close the film.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 29, 2014

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

tadashi posted:

It's ok, I was focused on the same thing. The company would probably not be able to handle that kind of liability in real life, declare bankruptcy and nobody would get anything. I would find that to be pretty realistic since, in my experience, most long term committed relationships that don't work out end in some sort of financial ruin.

I'm very glad it didn't go there. I think over-explaining what happens next would have been terrible. The idea that this is an experience that opens Theodore's eyes to the world around him - the world he lives in - is a much better way to close the film.

Oh, I totally agree. I think what I liked most about it was that there was a message to the film, and I understood it, because I am a dense motherfucker when it comes to themes and subtext, but it didn't feel like it was shoving it down my throat. I'll put most of that on Phoenix and Adams at the end, but Johansson was a big part of it, too.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
This is the best movie I've seen in a year

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
Watched this yesterday and it's still all i can think about. Scarlett Johansson's last speech to him was just wonderful. The line "Now we know how" just floored me. Maybe because it forced me to ask serious questions of my own relationships i don't know, but wow, it certainly got to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
My boyfriend introduced me to Alan Watts' lectures about a year ago. Last night I sat down to this movie expecting a comedy about a guy dating his computer. Forgive me, I only heard about the movie via Saturday Night Live.

Not too far into the movie, I found myself nudging my boyfriend, saying, "Whoa, that's kinda deep if you think about it!"

At another point, he said to me it sounded like somebody had been listening to Alan Watts, and then right after that Samantha introduces Super Alan Watts. My boyfriend and I just started laughing. Amazing.

Loved this movie. We've been talking about it all morning.

• Locked thread