Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«48 »
Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Hedrigall posted:

I'm late but a) thanks for these! and b) is there any resource breaking down what each of the subgenres mean

All i really know is Gunship (love em) and I'm not super into instrumental synthwave I've tried. Gotta have singing and lyrics. I might give The Midnight a try.

If you like Gunship, Midnight and FM-84 will be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

All i really know is Gunship (love em) and I'm not super into instrumental synthwave I've tried. Gotta have singing and lyrics. I might give The Midnight a try.

Maybe check out Timecop1983.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

You can catch me just lion around the forums!

Awesome, thanks for the recs and info everyone :3

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

You can catch me just lion around the forums!

I'm listening to the album Endless Summer by Midnight and yep,

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Midnight slaps. Hearing the sax go off in Crystalline for the first time was a revelatory experience.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001
YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbpNivEj0g

jessie frye dropped another single from her upcoming album. it slaps so hard

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 21, 2020

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeCPQBRpiHA

new midnight single. it's a slow jam, so definitely a different feel from most of their stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

new powerglove/pylot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuR7GCboF_E

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

Awesome, thanks for the recs and info everyone :3

Check out Kavinsky, too! "Nightcall" is a classic at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeCPQBRpiHA

new midnight single. it's a slow jam, so definitely a different feel from most of their stuff.

Definitely different but... gotta say, it's getting me right in the brain space dedicated to happy feelings. I can also completely see it in some daffy 80s flick about the shy kid winning over the prom queen or some such silliness. This album looks to be a real standout - I'm absolutely loving every single track released so far.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ totally agree. it didn't immediately strike me as a killer track, but after a few (dozen) more listens i am definitely vibing on it.

i can see them playing this in the middle of a live set as sort of a breather in between more pumped up jams and something to get the whole crowd singing HOLD HER HAAAAAAAAAAAND with some laser lights going. i can't loving wait for shows to be a thing again

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

I saw some chat about Kids earlier in the thread, and I just wanted to chime in in defense of it. Explorers is by far my favorite track by The Midnight, I love it SO much. Any album with that song on it can't be all bad.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Superrodan posted:

I saw some chat about Kids earlier in the thread, and I just wanted to chime in in defense of it. Explorers is by far my favorite track by The Midnight, I love it SO much. Any album with that song on it can't be all bad.

It's a great EP mistakenly marketed as a full album.

Lost boy, explorers, America 2, Wave, and the Kids reprise are all stellar midnight songs. America 2 was especially good in concert. I don't think fans dislike Kids, it just would have left a better impression if there wasn't so much filler.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I didn't hate Kids, it just def felt like a B side album more than anything to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Youth, Arcade Dreams, and Saturday Mornings are all not songs and just filler poo poo taking up around 8 minutes of the album's runtime.

Kids (Reprise) is 6 minutes of rehashed noise from Kids (Prelude) the actual song.

wish they woulda just cut all that poo poo out, chopping the runtime in half, and just released it on a 7"

«48 »