Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I'm really gravitating towards the lighter, more melodic side of things right now. Some tracks getting serious play right now are:

The Midnight - Light Years

The Midnight - Years (Prologue)

Timecop1983 - Wild Love

Michael Oakley - California

Sadly, they just aren't releasing new material fast enough for me. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other artists that might fit that mold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Fishstick posted:

Some of the more light /melodic stuff I like, with or without vocals :
FM84, Robert Parker, Kristine, Sunglasses kid, Gunship, Beckett, Freeweights.

Definitely check out Robert Parker and Gunship if you had to pick 2

I bounced off Kristine and Sunglasses Kid on my first listen - bit too pitch perfect recreation of the 80s. I'll give them a relisten in a day or so, see if that changes my opinion. If there's a particular track that stands out, don't hesitate to recommend it.

I got a real kick out of 'Midnight Signals' by Starcadian that someone recommended earlier. Some real gems there. Particularly New Cydonia. That's my bliss, right there.

Heard a bit of Odyssey by HOME earlier, and I'm gonna sit down and give that a solid listen, after I check out some Beckett and Freeweights.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

drat, that is a great track.

I wish there was more music like this - vocal melodic retrowave is extremely my jam.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Yeah, I enjoyed that. Nice solid piece of work

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpFeO86-7yw

Sometimes it feels like The Midnight is making music just for me. I mean, it's so far up my alley, it's ridiculous

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

weekly font posted:

The Midnight really stumbled on this album. They dropped the best two songs early and almost the entire rest of the album is filler. Kind of feels like a pre-tour money grab when it should have been an EP.

Totally agreed. What an absolutely disappointing release.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

After the disappointing 'Night Drive' by Timecop1983, and the filler of The Midnights 'Kids', I was really worried about the Gunship album. Particularly after they released When You Grow Up, which... ugh. But it turns out, its not a bad album. Not a killer album, to be sure - but I've had it on repeat for several hours now (albeit skipping When You Grow Up each time), which is a definite mark of success. I'm quite fond of most of the tracks, and I'm particularly enjoying Black Blood Red Kiss and Time After Time (mind, I'm a sucker for any version of that song). A good range of styles and moods, though the singles released so far probably remain the highlights.

It's stopped me listening to Supernova by Morgan Willis anyway, which nothing else has managed, the last few weeks.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I personally found Kids underwhelming, so I'm hoping this new album is a return to form. This track bodes very well!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I feel like I should say something about needing more cowbell?

This feels like a very different tune than usual from The Midnight. I'm absolutely loving it - this album is shaping up to be a real treat

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

I'm late but a) thanks for these! and b) is there any resource breaking down what each of the subgenres mean

All i really know is Gunship (love em) and I'm not super into instrumental synthwave I've tried. Gotta have singing and lyrics. I might give The Midnight a try.

What is Synthwave? is a breakdown of the various genres, and links to varying pieces of music in those styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeCPQBRpiHA

new midnight single. it's a slow jam, so definitely a different feel from most of their stuff.

Definitely different but... gotta say, it's getting me right in the brain space dedicated to happy feelings. I can also completely see it in some daffy 80s flick about the shy kid winning over the prom queen or some such silliness. This album looks to be a real standout - I'm absolutely loving every single track released so far.