Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I've had mixed results with joining pubbie games. Sometimes there's two or three people that use their mics, want to actually win coop, etc. But I'd say about 75% of the time, it is either people who just don't get video games or talk way WAY too much (and are somehow always 14 years old and have the best ideas for strats).

What I hope is that a lot of these guys that are actually fun to play with stick around. The rest can go back to whatever the gently caress they played before this weekend. :colbert:

Fake Edit for Vahakyla: I am in! I'm waiting on Troll to reset my security cert on CTS, however. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I want to like this game, because the shooting mechanics are much better than counterstrike's RNG to win, and there's much more variety than endless dust2 and office, and the weapon customisation is fun, but there's so much that pisses me off.

Most of the maps are awful open camp-fests. Even if you have a sniper rifle, in any given position there are approximately 67 places you can be shot from. The only way not to die is to hide in a hole or something and do nothing, or spend six years learning the ins and outs of all the different maps.
Iron sights are awful compared to scopes. If you have a scope and see someone who doesn't have a scope or hasn't seen you, he's dead. It's not fun for either side.
Long respawn times, and it doesn't even tell you how long there is to respawn most of the time. A lot of people just disconnect when they die because it's more stimulating than watching someone camp behind a wall in spectate for several minutes.
Alt-tab is not supported, the sound turns off so you don't know when you've respawned, and the game spazzes out when you re-tab into the game.
You can join a game and it puts you on a team with no respawns left, or you die and your team has no respawns left, so there's no reason not to disconnect.
The mouse sensitivity is limited to a minimum of 1.0, which is a 3" 360 on my mouse. I can change it in the console, but it resets again every time I go into the options. Did no-one test this?
Sometimes the game just freezes in the menus.
No real explanation of game-modes, most of the names just mean the same thing assault, infiltration, push etc.
It's supposed to be realistic, but dresses itself up like COD, with COD-style game-modes, HUD clutter and edgy dialogue.
It's supposed to be realistic, but the movement is way clunkier and slower than you'd expect from trained infantry. You can't even run whilst aiming sideways.
Hard to work out which team you're on or what you're supposed to be doing because the colours are inconsistent.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

pisshead posted:

I want to like this game, because the shooting mechanics are much better than counterstrike's RNG to win, and there's much more variety than endless dust2 and office, and the weapon customisation is fun, but there's so much that pisses me off.

Most of the maps are awful open camp-fests. Even if you have a sniper rifle, in any given position there are approximately 67 places you can be shot from. The only way not to die is to hide in a hole or something and do nothing, or spend six years learning the ins and outs of all the different maps.
Iron sights are awful compared to scopes. If you have a scope and see someone who doesn't have a scope or hasn't seen you, he's dead. It's not fun for either side.
Long respawn times, and it doesn't even tell you how long there is to respawn most of the time. A lot of people just disconnect when they die because it's more stimulating than watching someone camp behind a wall in spectate for several minutes.
Alt-tab is not supported, the sound turns off so you don't know when you've respawned, and the game spazzes out when you re-tab into the game.
You can join a game and it puts you on a team with no respawns left, or you die and your team has no respawns left, so there's no reason not to disconnect.
The mouse sensitivity is limited to a minimum of 1.0, which is a 3" 360 on my mouse. I can change it in the console, but it resets again every time I go into the options. Did no-one test this?
Sometimes the game just freezes in the menus.
No real explanation of game-modes, most of the names just mean the same thing assault, infiltration, push etc.
It's supposed to be realistic, but dresses itself up like COD, with COD-style game-modes, HUD clutter and edgy dialogue.
It's supposed to be realistic, but the movement is way clunkier and slower than you'd expect from trained infantry. You can't even run whilst aiming sideways.
Hard to work out which team you're on or what you're supposed to be doing because the colours are inconsistent.

We have optics in real life because iron sight sucks. That is the goddamn point of them. They are not just a sidegrade.

About the camping? Any game with such unforgiving damage model where single bullets end people, they inherently force camping due to the fact that active movement is discouraged. Nailing the enemy is not a measurement of twitch and raw accuracy, but rather positioning and who fires first from such position.

Then again, if you with a serious face say that CS has a RNG that fucks you over and you are not, infact, getting hosed over by your astounding lack of skill, I have no idea how much of this you will listen anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vahakyla posted:

About the camping? Any game with such unforgiving damage model where single bullets end people, they inherently force camping due to the fact that active movement is discouraged. Nailing the enemy is not a measurement of twitch and raw accuracy, but rather positioning and who fires first from such position.

Actually the open maps seem a lot more fun to me than the corridor ones. Not to say I don't love firing an RPG to kill four people at the start of district but I like being able to go around and flank people.

Also, one of the big problems with the game is indoor proning, where you prone in some godforsaken corner of a room and still have the ability to aim up really high.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

We have optics in real life because iron sight sucks. That is the goddamn point of them. They are not just a sidegrade.

I suppose, but in real life they wouldn't be such a disadvantage because your view wouldn't be crammed into a monitor but would have a full FOV. Maybe VR will make iron sights easier to use.

quote:

Problem is, there are a lot of maps where you can't really make any progress without putting yourself in the open where you can be shot from a myriad of angles. The urban maps aren't too bad, but the outdoor ones are terrible for this, especially the ones with a grid of control points all over the place.

quote:

Then again, if you with a serious face say that CS has a RNG that fucks you over and you are not, infact, getting hosed over by your astounding lack of skill, I have no idea how much of this you will listen anyway.

In Insurgency the bullets seem to fly in a closer correlation to where I aim than in CS. It also helps that Insurgency has a lower time to kill so recoil isn't as big a deal. You don't need to do the secret handshake because the enemy dies pretty quickly, unlike CS where you fire half a dozen shots into someone and he's still alive, and just turns round, clicks on your head and you're dead. What I prefer about In. is that the recoil and movement-induced spread is expressed more with the movement of the gun, whilst in CS you just have to guess.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

the workshop is a wonderful place

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

pisshead posted:

I disagree with the first part, and I am not even sure what the second part means.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
I haven't played Insurgency since it was a buggy mod. Do RPGs still have a large kill radius? I remember on maps with tunnels, firing a rpg at the roof would kill everyone below it because of the ridiculously large kill-radius.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

pisshead posted:

Problem is, there are a lot of maps where you can't really make any progress without putting yourself in the open where you can be shot from a myriad of angles. The urban maps aren't too bad, but the outdoor ones are terrible for this, especially the ones with a grid of control points all over the place.

In Insurgency the bullets seem to fly in a closer correlation to where I aim than in CS. It also helps that Insurgency has a lower time to kill so recoil isn't as big a deal. You don't need to do the secret handshake because the enemy dies pretty quickly, unlike CS where you fire half a dozen shots into someone and he's still alive, and just turns round, clicks on your head and you're dead. What I prefer about In. is that the recoil and movement-induced spread is expressed more with the movement of the gun, whilst in CS you just have to guess.

Try to move from cover to cover while keeping an eye on the supposed angles you think the enemy may be waiting to shoot you. Look for any signs of movement, sounds like gunshots or voices, and people who are dressed differently than your team.

Most of the time in insurgency the max distance you will be shooting people will not require using a high powered scope. The 2x red dot will suffice for any distance shooting you may need, even on the really spread out maps like the mountain map, buhriz, or sinjar. I am a complete weirdo in that I like irons over optics because the increased zoom really fucks my aim over sometimes and I like better peripheral vision on my m16/ak but the low powered reflex sights are more that sufficient for your everyday up close-midrange fighting.

I too suck rear end at CS in that I can't understand spray patterns. Even with memorizing the pattern and shooting while I am standing still in the best possible shooting position possible my shots go everywhere but the target with any of the guns but finding and shooting targets in games like this and red orchestra makes complete sense to me. I always say that the CTs/Ts get their guns from a shady toy company that charges them an arm and a leg for defective hardware instead of real ones that shoot straight :v:.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

pisshead posted:

Iron sights are awful compared to scopes.

It's rarely a good idea to use a scope. You're almost always better off with the speed and FOV that iron sights give you unless you're in very specific circumstances where you're trying to cover a certain sliver of the map.

Play super aggressively with iron sights in public matches and get enormous kill counts. The only exceptions are in Buhriz and Sinjar, where if you're playing Security and your team isn't advancing you're just gonna get mowed down.

It's painful watching two people try to look down soda straws 10 ft away and dump their magazines into the ceiling when they could pop up iron sights and get insta kills.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Shade2142 posted:

I haven't played Insurgency since it was a buggy mod. Do RPGs still have a large kill radius? I remember on maps with tunnels, firing a rpg at the roof would kill everyone below it because of the ridiculously large kill-radius.

Yep, huge.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The game is awesome but it's hard if your team isn't coordinated. It's a little old-school now but it's still fun.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Teams are never coordinated at all and when you talk on the voice chat in adversarial matches you're just annoying everyone. This is how public matches in video games work. Roll with friends if you want to do teamwork.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

An Enormous Boner posted:

Teams are never coordinated at all and when you talk on the voice chat in adversarial matches you're just annoying everyone. This is how public matches in video games work. Roll with friends if you want to do teamwork.

I agree with this 100%.

I tried out Hunt. I'm not sure if it was because I was rusty, or if there were a lot of new players, or if their AI is just that good, but I found it very fun and challenging. It's a pretty great alternative to Checkpoint, especially since there are no stupid "Out of Bounds" areas that prevent you from shooting. The rounds are tense and tend not to last very long, but if you die early you'll probably end up waiting a longer time than in Checkpoint.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Well we started playing goon coop at 9pm EST. I left the game at 0230 AM, and the others are still playing. I guess it was a success.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pisshead posted:

Other than the weapon behavior, they didn't advertise anything else to be realistic, so I don't think it's fair criticize them on that. A smaller scale ARMA was not their vision, more of an alternate take on tactical shooters.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Mushball posted:

Try to move from cover to cover while keeping an eye on the supposed angles you think the enemy may be waiting to shoot you. Look for any signs of movement, sounds like gunshots or voices, and people who are dressed differently than your team.

Most maps don't seem to have a lot of cover. There's this one set in the hills where you can be shot from 360 degrees at any given time. The urban maps are a bit more sensible in that regard.

quote:

I too suck rear end at CS in that I can't understand spray patterns. Even with memorizing the pattern and shooting while I am standing still in the best possible shooting position possible my shots go everywhere but the target with any of the guns but finding and shooting targets in games like this and red orchestra makes complete sense to me. I always say that the CTs/Ts get their guns from a shady toy company that charges them an arm and a leg for defective hardware instead of real ones that shoot straight :v:.

What gets me about CS is when you're moving your rifle suddenly has the spread of a sawn-off shotgun wielded by Muhamed Ali.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I can see why they darkened the lighting on Hunt maps. The insurgents become ninjas that you often can't see until it's too late. On Panj especially, I'm shooting at muzzle flashes half the time. SKS sniper bots are still assholes.

Do suppressors help against bots? The disembodied commander voice suggests equipping them sometimes on Hunt but I'm uncertain if that's merely flavor dialogue or something that actually makes a difference.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

pisshead posted:

Most maps don't seem to have a lot of cover. There's this one set in the hills where you can be shot from 360 degrees at any given time. The urban maps are a bit more sensible in that regard.

That was probably Peak and is, in my opinion, the only bad map for this game. Insurgency is much better suited for CQB. As for the whole "tactical awareness" thing, you kinda just pick it up over time. I think most of us got used to it with Red Orchestra. Just keep an eye out for pixels moving in the distance, and try to be aware of your cover and what you're exposed to. Sprint from cover to cover, check your angles each time you stop. Eventually you'll learn the maps and know where to expect enemies.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

folgore posted:

Do suppressors help against bots? The disembodied commander voice suggests equipping them sometimes on Hunt but I'm uncertain if that's merely flavor dialogue or something that actually makes a difference.

They definitely help on Hunt maps. When some idiot hasn't blown my cover yet I can sneak up and eliminate wrote a few of them without a single poo poo being heard.
On the other hand they seem useless in checkpoint, bots seem pretty aware in that mode.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well, I bought the game on sale. Hopefully it will have some sort of player base in the future and not die like Strike Vector.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Unlike Strike Vector, Insurgency's devs are fantastic. The rate and quality of updates for this game beats any triple-a FPS I've seen in years.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Strike Vector has gotten a ton of updates too.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Strike Vector has gotten a ton of updates too.

Everyone I've talked to about the game has said it's basically abandoned

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They updated it a couple weeks ago. Four days ago they added cards!

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They updated it a couple weeks ago. Four days ago they added cards!

Nothing about it on the website.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't see anything about the Insurgency updates on the Insurgency website either so...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We are playing Insurgency right now on the Goon Server, get in Mumble.

Insurgency is the channel name on CTS Mumble. We got plenty room.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, could I get an invite to the Steam group? I got it the other day and find it to be a nice change of pace from CS; where now landing the first shot or two - even body shots - matters more than getting a perfect AK headshot. (also wow, laying down in a bed of flowers in Panj and picking off people rushing the centre point/trying to suppress my guys is really effective! Concealment > cover for me, it seems. Love being sneaky)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/majorisoor

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Why do you think it's better to reward being slower and less precise? Or lying prone in a bush?

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 12, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

An Enormous Boner posted:

Why do you think it's better to reward being slower and less precise? Or lying prone in a bush?

I'm mostly talking about CQB situations regarding that part, where even if you shoot someone in centre-mass multiple times in CS, they can still swing around and shoot you in the head, then just run off as though most of their ribs and vital organs haven't just been obliterated - as opposed to in Insurgency where that'll drop them where they stand.

Not to mention CS' "T"-shaped recoil patterns, etc..

EDIT: Also, have you heard the saying "good things come to those who wait"? (if you catch my drift)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Well someone should tell me that. I run around blowing objectives and hip shooting with a shotgun on every map. It's quite fun.

With low wait you might quite fast and of you run or if s ammo pick up someone else's and continue

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
So during the free weekend I landed on the official Montreal server with Jeremy, the game's lead developer. I had remembered a post made in this thread about how he screwed over one of SA's users that helped with the original INS mod and I expected for him to be a bit of a dick but he was patient with questions, was humble to the praise (and resonant to minor criticisms) the server was lobbing to him and his team, and said that they'd be making more balance adjustments for a lot of the maps based on the free weekend's feedback. Granted he had a highly-vested interest in keeping a civil discussion with everyone but it still hit the right notes for me compared to, say, the Contagion devs.

Anyway, I was on his team on Ministry and we covered each other's six as Security. We made some impressive pushes through the car park and initiated some heroic captures at Objective Bravo as well. All of this without using voice. All in all it was a great experience and probably my personal highlight of the free weekend.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Tonight, Goon PVP in Insurgency. 10pm EST, 7pm PST. In a little less than two hours, so to speak.

We see how many we get and divide teams appropriately, half and half. Get yourself and any friend you have and join us on CTS Mumble for some nitty gritty war.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
This game is very fun and I'm happy to see more people checking it out. It definitely deserves some more love, and its nice to have something other than Counter-Strike to play for your tactical FPS fix.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Insurgency Goon PvP started, but late joiners welcome.

Server ip 23.226.232.117:27015

Mumble is CTS

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Vahakyla posted:

Insurgency Goon PvP started, but late joiners welcome.

Server ip 23.226.232.117:27015

Mumble is CTS

Added one for coop, too.
23.226.232.117:27015 for 32-player firefight. or battle, i kind of like battle mode. but firefight is good too.
23.226.232.117:27016 for 8-player coop

alternatively just add youhave.baddadsyndro.me to favorites. usual goony pw.

but don't go to that address. don't visit it, please. oshs's balls for your viewing pleasure.

e: also if i could get an invite to the group http://steamcommunity.com/id/gay-satan

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 13, 2014

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'd also like a group invite please! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gooch181/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I still play this pretty often on firefight/push/skirmish/ambush maps, especially with the new update. I dunno if the group is active (it didn't seem to be a month or two ago) but if it is I'd like an invite.

steamcommunity.com/id/Dong_Quixote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
We've had fairly large turnouts the last couple of nights. Only looks like three folks in mumble right now, however.

I'm not in the Steam group, but would like to be (assuming it actually matters).

http://steamcommunity.com/id/essobie/

• Locked thread