Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Best way to make the Steam Group matter is to always hang in there when available for games, to show proper turnout and be ready for planning games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Essobie posted:

We've had fairly large turnouts the last couple of nights. Only looks like three folks in mumble right now, however.

I'm not in the Steam group, but would like to be (assuming it actually matters).

[url][/url]

Sorry brahs tonights DND. Gotta wreck some gobos

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
This game really needs alt-tab support, especially given how long the respawn times are. The fact that it doesn't work in this day and age is criminal.

edit: Btw, what's up with all this 'you're entering a restricted area' bullshit? I actually got this when going towards the point. Apparently the flank where I was was fine, and the point was fine, but the intermediate area was out of bounds. I got it later by trying to enter an area in which an enemy was just stood shooting at me. When I walked back I got shot.

edit: Does anyone have any tips for close-quarters fighting? Even if I carefully creep around the building, permanently ADS, I always die as soon as I see an enemy, even if I click to fire immediately. I actually got killed by someone I knew was there, but couldn't see. If I couldn't see him, how did he see me?

pisshead fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

pisshead posted:

edit: Does anyone have any tips for close-quarters fighting? Even if I carefully creep around the building, permanently ADS, I always die as soon as I see an enemy, even if I click to fire immediately. I actually got killed by someone I knew was there, but couldn't see. If I couldn't see him, how did he see me?

I only have a few hours played but I've found that at spitting distance magdumping from the hip works pretty well! Sometimes lag decides who wins up close though. It can be iffy for me sometimes.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

pisshead posted:

This game really needs alt-tab support, especially given how long the respawn times are. The fact that it doesn't work in this day and age is criminal.

edit: Btw, what's up with all this 'you're entering a restricted area' bullshit? I actually got this when going towards the point. Apparently the flank where I was was fine, and the point was fine, but the intermediate area was out of bounds. I got it later by trying to enter an area in which an enemy was just stood shooting at me. When I walked back I got shot.

Set the game to run in borderless windowed mode, alt tabbing works like a charm once you do.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Komoxdos posted:

Set the game to run in borderless windowed mode, alt tabbing works like a charm once you do.

Yeah that's what I've done. Sound still doesn't work though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gooch181 posted:

I only have a few hours played but I've found that at spitting distance magdumping from the hip works pretty well! Sometimes lag decides who wins up close though. It can be iffy for me sometimes.

Explosives in this game have very generous blast radii. Use them. Take iron sights instead, too.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Explosives in this game have very generous blast radii. Use them. Take iron sights instead, too.

The issue is when you just stumble across someone so you don't have time to prepare a grenade. If you're not ADS, you don't have time to do so, and so you're reliant on hip-firing RNG.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

pisshead posted:

The issue is when you just stumble across someone so you don't have time to prepare a grenade. If you're not ADS, you don't have time to do so, and so you're reliant on hip-firing RNG.

Not really. It's like red orchestra in that there's a deadzone where you move your gun around rather than the camera.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010

pisshead posted:

No real RNG at play. Your bullets go exactly where your barrel points.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
c4 is really funny and a good way of clearing points

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Robot Randy posted:

c4 is really funny and a good way of clearing points

C4 is also fun for booby traps in hallways. Just wait until the enemy's rifle peaks out from around the corner, and detonate. You will probably get a couple of his buddies who are right behind him. Also, C4 on spawn exits if you are a huge tactical genius rear end in a top hat.

For the Steam group, if anyone wants admin privileges, let me know. I haven't maintained it as nobody was using it before.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I was just on a coop server and one guy kept doing "Enemy Spotted" and it would put red brackets over where they spotted someone. Was pretty useful. He couldn't tell me how to do it outside of saying "hit c".

So two things: 1) default key binds are for casuals, because all default bindings assume WASD as movement, which is in every way inferior to ESDF. 2) the command to spot enemies is actually "+radialmenu". Unfortunately that means if you want to spot somewhere that doesn't actually have a guy (or you try to spot a guy that just got killed by someone else) you end up saying "Moving to objective" on accident.

So I probably won't be using it all that often, if ever. I typically play 2x Red Dot assault rifle only, which means if I have time to spot someone, I have time to shoot them in the face, but I thought you guys might like to know about this (apparently) undocumented feature.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

I found I can point in the general direction of an enemy and get it to mark them. It often marks people I never actually saw, or a different target than I intended. On the huge (sniping) maps it might be useful.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Yikes, some of these maps definitely need a rework, at least in Push. It's actually less fun to play that mode at the moment given some of the BS restricted areas and easy entrances for the defenders. On Market C for example, Security has a straight shot into the cap zone with next to zero way to cut them off.

Also, maybe it's just the servers I've been on but are the player models and movement more janky than they used to be?

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
I've noticed the janky player movement affects the official servers more so than servers run by 3rd parties. Just try a different server if you land on one that's afflicted with the problem.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Insurgency PVP tonight at 8pm EST, 5pm PST.

Gather at the mumble, let's do goonified PvP like last time and this time we won't even get pubbies into there. THere is plenty of room, so just get your asses in. INvite friends.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

Insurgency PVP tonight at 8pm EST, 5pm PST.

Gather at the mumble, let's do goonified PvP like last time and this time we won't even get pubbies into there. THere is plenty of room, so just get your asses in. INvite friends.

In CTS Mumble, "Insurgency" CHannel.

Forgot to mention this.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cerepol posted:

With low wait you might quite fast and of you run or if s ammo pick up someone else's and continue

I know this is from the last page, but I demand an explanation for whatever this is.

It did give me an idea though. Hobo with a Shotgun mode. Grab a shotgun and absolutely nothing else. No mods, no armour, no explosives, shotguns only, final destination.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Had a lot of fun last night. Me, SilverHacker, Vaha and Burno all on one VIP team. Lots of teamwork.

Good stuff.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Everyone who takes Support/MG class is using their weapons for suppression and long range fire support, right? Because goddamn that's the key to most of these maps and pubbies totally neglect that. Also, do not throw smoke grenades in your teams face, thanks. Use them to cut off the enemy's lines of fire into the objective, and blind their good firing positions.

Instead people use smoke to conceal friendlies, when it's really about blinding the enemy. Concealing friendlies is OK if you're trying to pull back but that rarely happens in this game. Otherwise you're just blinding your own guys. Trying to advance through smoke into waiting enemies is a suicide move.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I was on my phone when I typed that, I mostly meant to convey that having a low weight setup allows you to blaze across the map pretty quickly and if you take the back routes to flank you can do pretty well. The second part of that was if you ever run low on ammo, since your behind enemy lines it's pretty easy to pick someone off and get their gun.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
So, do people play this? Is it good? I remember liking the Insurgency mod but my main gripe with it was the fact that aiming was absolutely trivial. Every gun was a laser. There was this one map which I completely don't remember the name of that exemplified the problem with this, but it was a push map with an open field in front of a chokepoint and basically the attackers couldn't advance at all because they would just get sniped the brief second they exposed themselves to advance or shoot.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subyng posted:

So, do people play this? Is it good? I remember liking the Insurgency mod but my main gripe with it was the fact that aiming was absolutely trivial. Every gun was a laser. There was this one map which I completely don't remember the name of that exemplified the problem with this, but it was a push map with an open field in front of a chokepoint and basically the attackers couldn't advance at all because they would just get sniped the brief second they exposed themselves to advance or shoot.
Your gun still shoots exactly where you point it, but the problem is lessened by your gun actually moving around when you move your mouse while not in ADS and suppression/exhaustion effects making your aim wobble.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Subyng posted:

It's still not ideal, but you can get some good gunplay. Unfortunately pretty much every gun is hitscan with the obvious exception of RPGs and grenade launchers. The hitscan is mitigated somewhat by a really decent aim wobble, low-ready free-aim, and iron sight delay. It's not quite as nice as the Red Orchestraesque gunplay, which has actual bullet travel and trajectory, but you can still get decent firefights. The laser-accuracy is still somewhat annoying, but manageable. As I said, suppression and smoke really important and most people don't know that, so you end up with people walking into prepared defenders and wondering why they get mowed down.

The two biggest problems with the game I think are the sometimes janky player movement, and BS prone corner camping.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I don't understand the criticisms of accuracy. I've never been to war or anything, but aren't rifles supposed to be pretty accurate? How much bullet travel time would there be at the distances Insurgency is played over?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

pisshead posted:

I don't understand the criticisms of accuracy. I've never been to war or anything, but aren't rifles supposed to be pretty accurate? How much bullet travel time would there be at the distances Insurgency is played over?

Well modern bullets travel above 1200m/s, Insurgency seems to have around 100-150 meter distances as the maximum (talking Sinjar bridge to Gas station thing or Hill to Sec base)

Let's also take into account that most sights or shooting positions tilt the barrel slightly up in order to counteract that drop, it'll be negligable or about a couple of inches at the farthest distance you could shoot. Even a horizontal shot at these distances wouldn't have that much of a drop.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

pisshead posted:

Most long barreled infantry rifles can hit within a couple of inches of their aim point at a hundred yards, and at that range travel time is significant enough that you'd have to lead your shots at least a little. It fits well with Red Orchestra because the game is meditative and has so much to do with positioning and patience. Insurgency is fast and the fights tend to be close, so going with hitscan is simpler on the back-end.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

I think its also limited by the source engine as well. I do think that there should be a bit more deviation or weapon sway. It's hard to actually exchange fire at range that often. It might be an issue with the number of scopes.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

New update, a few gameplay changes:

CONTENT
- Updated PVP maps: District, Market, Panj, Revolt and Sinjar
- Updated Coop maps: Contact (Hunt) and Panj (Hunt)

GAMEPLAY IMPROVEMENTS
- Insurgent Light Armor now costs 2 supply instead of 1. Ouch
- Now players can only carry 1 C4 even if they have a chest carrier. :smith:
- RPG and AT4 weigh less and now cost 5 supply instead of 6. Good, at least for the AT4, hardly anyone was using them. The weight is good but not sure the supply reduction was all that necessary.

USER EXPERIENCE IMPROVEMENTS
- Added anti-spam measures against radial commands.
- Magazine and fire mode information is no longer constantly displayed. personally I wish it stayed up, hopefully this ends up being toggleable

AI IMPROVEMENTS
- Reduced AI field of view so they don’t see players at longer ranges as easily.
- Increased default attack delay at longer ranges for AI.
- Reduced chances that bots will suppress players. They must see them for longer, and be within the desired attack range in order to suppress a player behind cover.

STATS IMPROVEMENTS
- Stats authentication has been throttled to 3 attempts per map with 15 seconds between each attempt, to hopefully reduce cases of game servers not communicating with our stats backend.
- Authentication state is now checked for server ‘stats’ tag.
- Added server-side “ins_stats_status” command to print helpful information about the current stats connection.

FIXES AND OPTIMIZATIONS
- Fixed a server crash related to the AI investigation state where it was eating up too much memory.
- Fixed auto-upload of crash dumps for dedicated servers
- Potential fix for Main Menu not always updating in-game.
- Fixed Mk4 scope alignment on M14.
- More Panj optimization.
- Fixed Panj (Hunt) navigation mesh.
- Fixed not able to capture push A in Market when player is in prone position inside the black hawk.
- Potential fix for CRopeManager console spam in Market.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Man, that +1 supply to Insurgent Light Armor really tightens my builds up :smith:

Oh well, I guess I can ditch my sidearm more often than not. 90 percent of the time it's just a belt decoration, the other 10% it's there so I can think "there's a guy around the corner but my magazine is low, should I switch to my--" then die as the three guys I didn't notice get the drop on me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The sidearm is always the first thing I get rid of anyway - it's never worth using, in my experience.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
If you're not running a strong CQB primary then the sidearm can be come in handy in tight areas. Pistols are strong, too.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Eh, in order to make them useful you often have to have AP as regular pistol rounds are defeated by light body armor as far as I know. Unless you have a magnifying scope on your primary, the primary is pretty much always going to be superior to the pistol regardless of what you're carrying. The only time I really prioritize a sidearm is if I'm going marksman. For everything else, it's like the last thing I choose.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
If I'm doing something stupid like 00 Buck TOZ on Peak I'll take a Makarov and pop some honkeys from long range :ocelot:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I tried out the "nothing but a shotgun" loadout and it was great. I'm so fast that I can cross the big chokepoints at round start before all the enemy snipers are set up in their dumb camping spots. I think my biggest hurdle is resisting the urge to panicfire when I sprint right into someone's face.

I don't remember the name of the map, but it was a King of the Hill kind of thing where you had to hold a building in the middle of a field filled with low walls and ruined houses. Most of the paths you can take are in good cover and sniping perches are few and obvious. I had a blast sprinting behind enemy lines, ambushing reinforcements and knifing snipers. I tried putting slugs and a 2x red dot on just to see if I could get more reliable long-range kills, but ironsights+buckshot still reigns supreme for most situations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goon Insurgency tonight at 9pm EST, 6pm PST. Gather in CTS Mumble and bring your lovely friends.

PvP unless too small group, then coop.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goon insurgency starting in 30 minutes, gather at the mumble duuuuuudes.
Camping the Stairs, Insurgency channel.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Vahakyla posted:

Goon insurgency starting in 30 minutes, gather at the mumble duuuuuudes.
Camping the Stairs, Insurgency channel.

I really think it'd be better to just make it a regular, scheduled thing rather than just last minute stuff all the time, man...

I think the ArmA stuff would've been more successful if you had done it that way (on top of what you've been doing).

To be clear, though, I do 100% support your constant attempts to get a goon group going, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Pubbies, please use suppression fire and stop throwing smoke grenades on the objective as an attacker. Thanks.

• Locked thread