Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone who gets less than a 2" thickness is a pizza pansy. SERIOUS ABOUT PIZZA ITT. You need a pizza steel that take two people to lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Steve Yun posted:

More pizza notes as I learn to make this poo poo

After 5 minutes of cooking pizza the steel lost about 30 degrees, from 497 to 470.

My crust was a little light despite being crunchy. I think I dusted too much semolina and it acted as a buffer.

Also I think rolling it thinner would have benefited the crust as well. Enough dough for 4 more pizza tests, almost there!

I was going to say I think you got shafted because that sure as hell doesn't look like 1/4" but then I saw the rivets.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Canadagoons, keep in mind that while UPS Standard is reasonably inexpensive, you will be on the hook to UPS for another $30 plus tax in fees, along with the actual sales tax on the cost of the steel. In Ontario, this adds about $40 to the price. Still a bit cheaper than the Modernist baking steel ($148 with all fees included).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Would it be possible to get one made up as a circle? I want one mainly to use as a comel and one that is 18.5"dia would be small enough to heat on a single burner but would let me make 5 6' tortillas at a time. I am unsure what thickness, I would think to keep the heat even I should go as thick as reasonable, 3/8" seems the most reasonable.

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

bunnielab posted:

Would it be possible to get one made up as a circle? I want one mainly to use as a comel and one that is 18.5"dia would be small enough to heat on a single burner but would let me make 5 6' tortillas at a time. I am unsure what thickness, I would think to keep the heat even I should go as thick as reasonable, 3/8" seems the most reasonable.

https://www.robinsonlaser.com/goons/bunnielab.dxf

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How do you do the seasoning process?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Take a paper towel and some vegetable oil. Rub a little oil all over the thing.

Take another paper towel and wipe off any excess oil.

Bake at 500°F for one hour.

Let it cool down completely before touching.

Optional: repeat maybe one or two times.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone new to this thread: just go order it yourselves, go to the url and use the coupon code and the dxf file below for a plain design

Or use this dxf file if you want a chef smiley

gonna put this in the 2ndpost after op

edit: am I missing anything? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598826&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post423806708

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 8, 2014

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
Ordered mine. Cost me just over $60 with shipping. I'm excited. :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think the problem with 1/4 vs 3/8 was just when you wanted to make more than one pizza. The 3/8 being heavier retains heat better vs the 1/4 for that second pizza.

There's a tradeoff though, while 3/8" is more heat stable over the course of many pizzas, it takes longer to heat up compared to 1/4"

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Canada, international, and basically anyone interested:

This is like, the simplest thing to do for a metal supplier. There's probably one within a stone's throw of your house. Whether they do piecemeal orders is a different story but its worth it if you want to save 50$ S&H or just want to know how this works.

1) Go to http://www.thomasnet.com and search for just raw rear end steel suppliers in your city/area code
2) Go to their websites. If they offer laser/waterjet cutting, you can get a cool custom shape. If they don't, you can still get a steel square cut out, just raw rear end steel square plate.
3) Find the number, call and ask for sales.

First question, do they do small volume orders? (You are ordering one piece, a lot of time businesses are ordering hundreds or thousands of pieces or whatever)

Second question, can they custom cut 3/8" (whatever size) steel plate on laser/waterjet/plasma(plasma leaves some ugly cuts) cutters for you with minimal/no setup fee?

Third question, how much for one piece with that custom cut?

If you want to save money and are just a modernist dildo, just buy a 3/8" piece of steel plate cut to VERY ROUGHLY 14" square (if you ever use the word "exact dimensions" when ordering materials you will get something that is exactly 14" square down to three decimal points and it will cost A LOT MORE).

I have a metal supplier sales rep who regularly comes to my work and just gives me huge free offcuts of all sorts of poo poo like brass, stainless bar, whatever for something I'm working on.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Not an Anthem posted:

Canada, international, and basically anyone interested:

This is like, the simplest thing to do for a metal supplier. There's probably one within a stone's throw of your house. Whether they do piecemeal orders is a different story but its worth it if you want to save 50$ S&H or just want to know how this works.

1) Go to http://www.thomasnet.com and search for just raw rear end steel suppliers in your city/area code
2) Go to their websites. If they offer laser/waterjet cutting, you can get a cool custom shape. If they don't, you can still get a steel square cut out, just raw rear end steel square plate.
3) Find the number, call and ask for sales.

First question, do they do small volume orders? (You are ordering one piece, a lot of time businesses are ordering hundreds or thousands of pieces or whatever)

Second question, can they custom cut 3/8" (whatever size) steel plate on laser/waterjet/plasma(plasma leaves some ugly cuts) cutters for you with minimal/no setup fee?

Third question, how much for one piece with that custom cut?

If you want to save money and are just a modernist dildo, just buy a 3/8" piece of steel plate cut to VERY ROUGHLY 14" square (if you ever use the word "exact dimensions" when ordering materials you will get something that is exactly 14" square down to three decimal points and it will cost A LOT MORE).

I have a metal supplier sales rep who regularly comes to my work and just gives me huge free offcuts of all sorts of poo poo like brass, stainless bar, whatever for something I'm working on.

If we do this would we be better off trying to get stainless steel?

min
May 12, 2001

Trying to decide between the 1/4 and 3/8 steel, how long would I need to wait between pizzas if I order the 1/4? I don't think I'll ever be churning out 4+ pizzas in a row so I'm leaning toward the 1/4.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dalstrs posted:

If we do this would we be better off trying to get stainless steel?

stainless is almost an order of magnitude more expensive for raw materials... just sayin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was quoted $180 for stainless steel from my local steel factory, vs $45 for A36 steel

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

GrAviTy84 posted:

stainless is almost an order of magnitude more expensive for raw materials... just sayin.

But if I could get it locally for the same price as this would be shipped would stainless be the better material?

Edit:

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, I was quoted $180 for stainless steel from my local steel factory, vs $45 for A36 steel

Well poo poo probably too expensive, but still, stainless would be better if we could get it right?

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 9, 2014

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

dalstrs posted:

But if I could get it locally for the same price as this would be shipped would stainless be the better material?

Edit:

Well poo poo probably too expensive, but still, stainless would be better if we could get it right?

Well SS won't rust, but a carbon steel one won't either if you season it and take care of it, much like any cast iron pan.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Stainless has lower thermal conductivity than carbon steel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thermal_conductivities
http://www.engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 9, 2014

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Nohearum posted:

Here's a pic of it after an hour seasoning. Still too hot to take out of the oven, so the lighting isn't that great.

I used the basic template that Gravity84 posted a few pages back (no logo). The material was black structural (A36). I wouldn't bother with the pickling process as the stock finish is pretty good.

Was waiting to get a look at the finished product. Thanks for posting pics, ordered a 1/4" (with goony poo poo all over it).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Too many toppings, pizza stuck and fell apart. But that spotting has some wonderful color, and this was with a parchment in the way

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
I hate to sound ignorant, but when I click on the link, it will not let me save it as a .dxf file so that I can upload it. How can I do this?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

something clever posted:

I hate to sound ignorant, but when I click on the link, it will not let me save it as a .dxf file so that I can upload it. How can I do this?

Right click > save as. Then when prompted on the site up upload it select the file you saved.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

something clever posted:

Croatoan posted:

Right click > save as. Then when prompted on the site up upload it select the file you saved.

You could also copy the text and paste it into notepad and save it as .dxf.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So we have a waterjet table at work and tons of scrap steel. I decided to do a 14" x 16" 3/8" on 304 SS. Should I scrub the crap out of it (I am going to wash it before I use it ) using a steel wool? Or should I just use the rough side of a sponge? After that do I want to season it with vegetable oil as describe earlier in the thread?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flaggy posted:

So we have a waterjet table at work and tons of scrap steel. I decided to do a 14" x 16" 3/8" on 304 SS. Should I scrub the crap out of it (I am going to wash it before I use it ) using a steel wool? Or should I just use the rough side of a sponge? After that do I want to season it with vegetable oil as describe earlier in the thread?

If it's 304 stainless you should be able to leave as it is as long as it's cleaned of any oils or solvents. Honestly you should ship it to me and I'll season it for you.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Certainly going to jump on this once I'm done moving here soon. Thanks for setting this up everyone!

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Hey guy Hey guys HEY GUYS I MADE PIZZA.

Structural grade 3/8", washed with detergent, seasoned three times @500F with flaxseed oil.

Heated to 500F and left for about an hour (I got lazy), then set broiler on High for eh..... 15 mins?

Pizza cooked for approx 3 mins.

The only complaint about this is that it weighs GD 23.6lbs. My oven rack's already bowed permanently. Also, for a little asian girl, it's almost impossible to lift in and out of the oven. It took all my might to even get it seasoned properly.

Look how big the crust bubble is! It's so super yummy you guys. And super crispy! I squished it a little while cutting with a knife so you can't really see all the little bubbles. It tasted like air, a little - crunchy, crispy air.

The aftermath

I kind of got too excited and didn't realize I should take photos of the entire process - sorry you just get the end!
I'm making pizza again tomorrow so I'll try to get some better pictures.

Oh, I forgot to add that I got the little chef guy on the bottom but he didn't turn out as I expected.... it's kind of rough... I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow... but it's still pretty great. A++++++ would buy again!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

noodlesinabag posted:

Hey guy Hey guys HEY GUYS I MADE PIZZA.

Structural grade 3/8", washed with detergent, seasoned three times @500F with flaxseed oil.

Heated to 500F and left for about an hour (I got lazy), then set broiler on High for eh..... 15 mins?

Pizza cooked for approx 3 mins.

The only complaint about this is that it weighs GD 23.6lbs. My oven rack's already bowed permanently. Also, for a little asian girl, it's almost impossible to lift in and out of the oven. It took all my might to even get it seasoned properly.

Look how big the crust bubble is! It's so super yummy you guys. And super crispy! I squished it a little while cutting with a knife so you can't really see all the little bubbles. It tasted like air, a little - crunchy, crispy air.

The aftermath

I kind of got too excited and didn't realize I should take photos of the entire process - sorry you just get the end!
I'm making pizza again tomorrow so I'll try to get some better pictures.

Oh, I forgot to add that I got the little chef guy on the bottom but he didn't turn out as I expected.... it's kind of rough... I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow... but it's still pretty great. A++++++ would buy again!

Unf. That looks so good. Congrats on some awesome looking pizza.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Unf. That looks so good. Congrats on some awesome looking pizza.

omg i made gravity jelly. :smuggo:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
That's a drat fine looking pizza.

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

noodlesinabag posted:

That's amazing looking pizza! I'm sorry about the etching. If you want, take a pic of it and I'll yell at our production guys for you.

I'm very curious how would you rate your online ordering experience with us? As jeomk started off in our SA-Mart thread, most of the people in our industry still do business in a kinda old fashioned manner. In fact, Not an Anthem does a good job describing the process we set out to change when we wrote the site.

all those +s makes me really happy :)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Holy poo poo that's awesome. What dough recipe did you use?

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Here's a followup from yesterday. I've been binge watching House of Cards all day on netflix... thank god there's only a few episodes left.

SifuToast, here's what the final etching looks like. I don't really know what the etching process is like so maybe this is the best that can happen? I just imagined it was going to come out cleaner -- I don't mind though - it still makes good pizza.

And for goons still on the fence, here's what the steel looks like 3 seasonings in and 1 pizza later. I'm sure the surface will continue to blacken and even out more over time. um.... wtf footprint.. hubby must have stepped on it at some point.... the thing weights a ton so I try not to leave it in the oven.... This is why I can't have nice things. :bang:

For topping tonight, I cut up some tomatoes, onions, and garlic and tossed with oil, salt, pepper, oregano. It's kind of a desert as far as fresh ingredients are concerned mid January in upstate NY but I splurged with some greenhouse cherry tomatoes from the grocery.

As for the dough, Boris, it's a lean dough, 65% water, 1% salt, 1% yeast in high gluten flour -- cold fermented for 2 days in the fridge. Some oil gets worked in when I let it rest and proof but otherwise, no fat in it initially.

I stretch it out really thinly and here you can actually see all the bubbles beneath the surface of the dough

Again, how thinly I stretch the dough out -- I looks like Cassandra from that episode in Dr. Who... just like a stretch of skin or parchment

But it shrinks back a little when you lay it out

Oil the surface

Toppings on - notice the thin layer of cheese.... you really don't need much

Three minutes later

The hubby decided to make some also because he wanted some meat on his.. his has feta, leeks, tomatoes, pepper encrusted italian sausage,

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Oh god I need one. And shipping is 410 USD.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I work in a machine shop with a waterjet, I was thinking about making one of these for myself. What would you think about using CRS instead of HRS? Usually it's much cleaner with a lot less scale and poo poo.

Edit: Never mind, apparently CRS doesn't come that thick.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 13, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The local metal place I contacted in Waterloo, Ontario wants $42 for the 3/8" hot rolled A36 plate... and $153 more to cut the corners :suicide:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

noodlesinabag posted:

deliciousness

Wow, all of that looks amazing. Great job, and makes me want one of these baking steels even more!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

The local metal place I contacted in Waterloo, Ontario wants $42 for the 3/8" hot rolled A36 plate... and $153 more to cut the corners :suicide:

Just buy a coarse file and break the edges yourself!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ok, well I went ahead and made myself a pizza steel today out of .250" A36. It's in the oven seasoning as we speak. Now, I have never in my life made a pizza. Would a dough in the OP of the pizza thread here work for a first try with this thing? With a technique like noodlesinabag did earlier on this page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Woohoo I'm so excited for you! Homemade pizza is the best. That recipe is very similar to what I use - slightly higher hydration. If I could give any tips, it would be 1. Definitely go for a long and slow primary fermentation 2. Stretch the dough rather than roll it and stretch it very very thinly. 3. When it comes to toppings, less is more 4. Don't skimp on heating your stone hot hot hot - the pizza should cook in 3 minutes or less. I can't wait to see your results! Yumyumyum!

• Locked thread