Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
If this thread is still alive, I would love any suggestions for resources for someone who knows rather little about screen printing, but is tired of sitting through resources for t-shirts. I currently stencil but would love to find out about screen printing on canvases, cardboard, acrylic, metal, and wood as well as anything about screen printing with wood stain or something more durable than normal paints. (In particular with the later, I'm curious about something like an enamel or polyurethane.)

Also, if you have any recommendations for artists' galleries to look at, I think they'd be neat but I know nothing about popular screen printers or artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I found out during my last trip to visit my parents that my brother had a Yudu system he'd never opened that was given to him by a teacher about two years ago. Naturally, that came back with me. It turns out that the emulsion sheets won't handle being stored for 4 years (my estimate based on the packing slip in the box) and failed hilariously.

I broke down and got some proper liquid emulsion, a scoop coater, etc. and gave it another go.

Set 1 and set 2 came out better than I'd expected, but there are some definite registration issues that are a combination of my placement of the paper between each layer and the movement tolerances inside the Yudu.

If anyone has any feedback or any suggestions for improving the accuracy of alignment for paper, I'm all ears. I've been cutting acetate stencils for years, but I'm completely new to screen printing.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on where to find mesh appropriate for screen printing (especially the finer stuff for paper prints) I'm having a bit of difficulty finding stuff online that's not either outrageously expensive, random mix packs, or sketchy foreign wholesalers.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

dog nougat posted:

How are you registering your paper? When I was in school, I was taught to use a sheet of acetate with the outline of the paper drawn on it in conjunction with some masking tape on the table the screen was mounted to. I found that aligning the paper with the tape marks and then placing the acetate on top of the paper helped get my registration right. I'd also print directly onto the acetate to further help me register my image.

Here's a picture with steps to help.

Wow. Thanks for the tip. I'm impressed you took the time to draw it out. My registration method was a lot more complex, and needlessly so. I'll give yours a try with the next go at a print.

• Locked thread