Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
While we're talking brawls, does anyone want to step up and judge/watch me break God Over Djinn and make him hamble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Benny the Snake posted:

:siren:[B]I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

Benny the Snake posted:

*sniff* *sniff* FRESH MEAT! :twisted:
HOLD ME BACK! *frothing at the mouth*

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

PootieTang posted:

While we're talking brawls, does anyone want to step up and judge/watch me break God Over Djinn and make him hamble?

But I don't know how to hamble :(

e: this signals my acceptance, by the way

God Over Djinn fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 23, 2014

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
:siren: Djinn Booty Rudy Patootie Brawl :siren:

I'll keep this one simple. For once.

In a small town tucked away in the old country, a baseball game is being held to decide the fate of the human race.

1,300 words, one week from today (that is, Tuesday).

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
:siren: Thunderdome CXII - Attack of the Graphophobes :siren:

What up.

http://phobialist.com/

Pick a phobia. Write a story.

Tell me what fear you pick before signups close. Phobias that have already been taken can't be picked again. The judges will gladly pick one for you if you're undecided.

I fully expect to read ~30 cookie cutter stories of Johnny Protagonist overcoming his deep-seated fear of heights or bees so if you want to win uhmmm maybe not do that (or do it really well (lol)). You can be creative with the prompt, so long as I can see how your fear is relevant to the story.

No erotica, fanfic yadda yadda yadda fineprint please don't suck thanks

SIGNUPS BY: Fri, 26 Sept 2014, 23.59 PDT
SUBMISSIONS BY: Sun, 28 Sept 2014, 23.59 PDT
MAX WORD COUNT: 1250

Judges:
Entenzahn
LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE
Erogenous Beef

Very brave or very stupid:
SurreptitiousMuffin :toxx: (Botellophobia- Fear of sausage. & opt. Carnophobia- Fear of meat.)
Skwid (Lutraphobia- Fear of otters.)
Quidnose (Monophobia- Fear of solitude or being alone.)
Sitting Here (Nomatophobia- Fear of names.)
Some Guy TT (Anatidaephobia- Fear of being watched by a duck.)
Anomalous Blowout (Pyrophobia- Fear of fire.)
sebmojo (Ouranophobia- Fear of heaven.)
Fumblemouse (Apeirophobia- Fear of infinity.)
systran :toxx: (something with future phobia? idk whatever)
Chairchucker (Cathisophobia- Fear of sitting.)
Phobia :toxx: (Dysmorphophobia- Fear of deformity. & Decidophobia- Fear of making decisions.)
Ironic Twist (Leukophobia- Fear of the color white.)
Your Sledgehammer (Philophobia- Fear of falling in love or being in love.)
crabrock (Geniophobia- Fear of chins.)
Jitzu_the_Monk (Vaccinophobia- Fear of vaccination.)
satsui no thankyou (Syngenesophobia- Fear of relatives.)
Grizzled Patriarch (Odynophobia- Fear of pain.)
Bauxite (Nephophobia- Fear of clouds.)
CommissarMega (Enosiophobia- Fear of committing a great sin, or of criticism.)
God Over Djinn (Chronophobia- Fear of time.)
Tyrannosaurus (Acrophobia- Fear of heights.)

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 29, 2014

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.
I'm in, and I'd like a phobia chosen for me please.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Skwid posted:

I'm in, and I'd like a phobia chosen for me please.

quote:

Lutraphobia- Fear of otters.

Godspeed.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

In!

Monophobia- Fear of solitude or being alone.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
in!! with Nomatophobia- Fear of names.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Does it have to be from the list or can I pick anatidaephobia?

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Some Guy TT posted:

Does it have to be from the list or can I pick anatidaephobia?

Thrice has life cheated me out of an anatidaephobia story. I warn you, Some Guy TT. Don't play with my feelings.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Carnophobia - Fear of Meat, please.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Carnophobia - Fear of Meat, please.

C'mon son. Step it up a notch. You're being flash-ruled to include :siren: Botellophobia. Fear of Sausage. :siren:

Replace your existing fear, or supplement it. I don't give a gently caress.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Erogenous Beef leaned over his keyboard, nearly knocking over his monitor-dildo. It wasn't in his mouth right now, because something else had stolen his gaze: through the glare of the monitor, he saw his old enemy stepping up to the plate.

"I can eat a dick, huh?" he said, "well Muffin can eat a sausage."

Alright. I can do that.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Pyrophobia - fear of fire, please.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ouranophobia. Fear of heaven.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
Fear me. By which I mean assign me a fear, because I am in.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Fumblemouse posted:

Fear me. By which I mean assign me a fear, because I am in.

ok

quote:

Apeirophobia- Fear of infinity.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
In with FUTURE SHOCK (no Latin roots needed here) :toxx:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Assign me something fearsome.

EDIT: Also hey guys what's with all the brawling, why don't you just get out a tape measure and settle it once and for all?

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Chairchucker posted:

quote:

Cathisophobia- Fear of sitting.

No TD fanfic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chairchucker posted:

Also hey guys what's with all the brawling, why don't you just get out a tape measure and settle it once and for all?

Because no one wants to read Benny the Trouser Snake.

Phobia
Apr 25, 2011

I'm a suave detective with a heart of gold in hot pursuit of the malevolent, manipulative
MIAMI MUTILATOR
and the deranged degenerates who only want their
15 MINUTES OF FAME.

OCK.
Actually I'm going to quick switch my choice. Dysmorphophobia, Fear of deformity. I have an idea.

Phobia fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 23, 2014

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
In with leukophobia fear of the color white

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
In with philophobia, fear of falling in love or being in love.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

EDIT: Also hey guys what's with all the brawling, why don't you just get out a tape measure and settle it once and for all?

You get so grumpy about brawls it's adorable

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I'm dropping out of the brawl. Sorry, folks.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Phobia posted:

Actually I'm going to quick switch my choice.

gently caress you for trying that poo poo. :siren: You will also use Decidophobia - fear of making decisions. Yes, you have two fears. Deal with it. :siren:

Phobia
Apr 25, 2011

I'm a suave detective with a heart of gold in hot pursuit of the malevolent, manipulative
MIAMI MUTILATOR
and the deranged degenerates who only want their
15 MINUTES OF FAME.

OCK.

Erogenous Beef posted:

gently caress you for trying that poo poo. :siren: You will also use Decidophobia - fear of making decisions. Yes, you have two fears. Deal with it. :siren:

Okay.

Also do me a solid and add this to the pile: I have to have my first draft find by Friday or :toxx:. Hold me to that. I've got a good feeling about this week.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Thalamas posted:

You had TWO weeks!!!!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thalamas posted:

You're taking the wind right out of my sails, man. Dropping out of a 'dome is commonplace, but brawls are a sacred thing, mano a mano (a mano a mano). What victory is there without competition? And also that thing that Mercedes said before I got a chance to say it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Crits will be up sometime tomorrow. Losers get more detail.

Mad at some people this week.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

assign me a fear please.

it will be hard to write, because i'm a man, and i'm not afraid of anything (except girls, and sittinghere)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

assign me a fear please.

it will be hard to write, because i'm a man, and i'm not afraid of anything (except girls, and sittinghere)

Geniophobia- Fear of chins.

selected by scrolling up and down a lot with my eyes closed and seeing where my cursor landed

you narrowly missed Genophobia- Fear of sex. and Gelotophobia- Fear of being laughed at. which are fears im sure you are much more acquainted with

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I feel like this is one of the stronger entries that didn't HM. But don’t get too full of yourself, there’s still some issues.

When have I been full of myself? I've always just been here to try to improve my writing :confused:

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Anomalous Blowout posted:

I'm not Fanky, but here's how I'd do it:

If both their loserbrawl stories suck so much, they both go into the archives as loser. Whoever ekes out a slight victory doesn't get the losertar. If one manages to soundly beat the other, the winner ascends to the honour of a DM instead.

This. Sorry, I didn't actually consider how you were going to archive it, my bad.

Benny the Snake posted:

*sniff* *sniff* FRESH MEAT! :twisted:
HOLD ME BACK! *frothing at the mouth*

Woah there, champ. How about, instead of blindly brawling everyone who offers you the slightest criticism, you actually take the time to read, absorb, and apply what they're telling you? Giving you any kind of critique is the most frustrating thing ever because honestly, I don't know if you even look at them, or if you just go "welp, didn't win, better dive right back in there without pausing to think about why". I mean, your writing has improved slightly since you've been entering the dome, and I admire that you always come back and try again, but holy goddamn poo poo, with all of the critiques and advice that people have given you, you shouldn't just be marginally better at writing, you should have vastly improved. It actually boggles my mind.

Because of this, I suggest that if you're so desperate to brawl, you brawl yourself. The rules will be thus: You will wait until I post a thorough critique of your most recent submission. You will actually read this critique - and I mean you will study the goddamn hell out of it. Once you've done that, you may choose any folk tale from last week that takes your fancy and you will write a new story based on that, in which you demonstrate that you have done your critique-reading homework by actually applying the advice that I give you. Further (though this part will have to just be on your honour, I guess), you will not post your entry until you have read it out loud to yourself and given it at least one round of edits. You will have 72 hours from the time I post your crit (which will probably be later this afternoon/evening), and a limit of 1,000 words.

There's no prize for winning if you choose to accept this challenge, other than avoiding the shame of losing a brawl against yourself, obviously, and the fact that if you win it will mean that you have actually shown a marked improvement in your work. I don't even know what your punishment should be if you lose, because to lose against yourself should literally be impossible.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Fanky Malloons posted:

This. Sorry, I didn't actually consider how you were going to archive it, my bad.

Woah there, champ. How about, instead of blindly brawling everyone who offers you the slightest criticism, you actually take the time to read, absorb, and apply what they're telling you? Giving you any kind of critique is the most frustrating thing ever because honestly, I don't know if you even look at them, or if you just go "welp, didn't win, better dive right back in there without pausing to think about why". I mean, your writing has improved slightly since you've been entering the dome, and I admire that you always come back and try again, but holy goddamn poo poo, with all of the critiques and advice that people have given you, you shouldn't just be marginally better at writing, you should have vastly improved. It actually boggles my mind.

Because of this, I suggest that if you're so desperate to brawl, you brawl yourself. The rules will be thus: You will wait until I post a thorough critique of your most recent submission. You will actually read this critique - and I mean you will study the goddamn hell out of it. Once you've done that, you may choose any folk tale from last week that takes your fancy and you will write a new story based on that, in which you demonstrate that you have done your critique-reading homework by actually applying the advice that I give you. Further (though this part will have to just be on your honour, I guess), you will not post your entry until you have read it out loud to yourself and given it at least one round of edits. You will have 72 hours from the time I post your crit (which will probably be later this afternoon/evening), and a limit of 1,000 words.

There's no prize for winning if you choose to accept this challenge, other than avoiding the shame of losing a brawl against yourself, obviously, and the fact that if you win it will mean that you have actually shown a marked improvement in your work. I don't even know what your punishment should be if you lose, because to lose against yourself should literally be impossible.
I accept, Franky.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Benny the Snake posted:

I accept, Franky.

This pleases me, even though things like this sometimes make me wonder if you are not, in fact, some kind of mad genius at trolling.

Fanky Malloons fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 23, 2014

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Fanky Malloons posted:

There's no prize for winning if you choose to accept this challenge

If (and only if) he wins, he gets to brawl Phobia, and I will crit the hell out of his entry. poo poo, Benny, if you actually do this and don't disappoint us, I'll even sit down with you on Skype or IRC for a bit if you want. I've read a lot of your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

crabrock posted:

assign me a fear please.

:wink:
:wmwink:

• Locked thread