Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011
I'd like to give this a try, count me In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011
Princess - 926 Words

Snow faeries are a common winter nuisance in Northern Kentucky. They appear out of the trees and wrap themselves in fresh snow, creating large animal-shaped shells for their diminutive figures and attacking anything that enters “their” territory. Forcing them back into the trees is an easy task. A human must simply project their thoughts into the minds of the faeries; their brains will be so overloaded with alien thoughts and emotions that they will dissipate their snow shells and flee back to their dwellings. You can’t kill the faeries, doing so takes an incredible mental toll that results in permanent brain damage if not death. Even if you couldn’t kill yourself with the exertion it takes to psychically destroy the brain of a sentient creature, faeries were too ecologically important to kill.

I hoped that Dad would take care of the ones congregating in our front yard, but he had the day off and decided instead to stay indoors. I’m meeting some friends at Bardstown Road, the closest thing our town has to a pedestrian mall, so it’s up to me to deal with the snow faeries. As I finish driving them off our property I feel the familiar sensation of another human being projecting their thoughts onto the surface of my mind.

My place?

Aidan is trying to contact me. It takes minimal strain to send telepathic messages yet people have a tendency to send short, blunt ones. I haven’t known Aidan for long, but we had a lot of the same classes in school and similar interests, so it seems natural that we’d be friends. He also lives a short walk away, so it’s easy for us to hang out even though neither of us are old enough to have a learner’s permit. Closing my eyes I try to feel for his mental wavelength. Every person has a unique mental wavelength and generally the longer you’ve known a person the easier it is to separate their wavelength from everybody else’s.

On my way. Snow faeries.

His response was nearly instantaneous.

See you there. Be careful.

I wasn’t the only one who had come to Aidan’s house, Carlos and Joey were also there. Carlos lived in the same neighborhood as Aidan and spent a lot of time over here, same as me. He mentioned that his trek was surprisingly bereft of snow faeries. Joey’s parents had errands to run in the pedestrian mall, so he hitched a ride with them. After all, Aidan lived only two blocks away from Bardstown Road, which is why his house is a natural meeting point. The four of us are busy planning out the rest of the evening. As we are deciding what to do Aidan jolts out of his seat.

“Guys! Upstairs! Now!”

Aidan is already halfway up the basement stairs before we can question him. Something is wrong. I’m guessing that he just got an urgent telepathic message from somebody but I can’t be sure. The three of us follow him up the stairs and hastily grab our coats as he goes out the front door. Across the street we see Aidan’s younger sister, Carol, staring down a large dog.

I can’t move. My throat is drying up and I can feel my heart banging against my chest. Aidan’s pupils are dilating, his mouth agape. He looks like he wants to shout something, anything, but can’t. We can hear the dog growling, with an occasional bark. It’s tail is down and it carries itself in a menacing stance. Somebody has to do something. I gulp down a lungful of air and charge down the hill. Luckily the snow is stiff, allowing me to do something incredibly stupid without slipping and hurting myself.

Positioning myself between Carol and the dog I pull a water bottle out of one my coat pockets and wave it around, yelling loudly. Carol turns and runs for the door. The dog’s head darts back and forth between me and Carol before charging at me. This street had been plowed recently, so there wasn’t any snow to slow it down. I ready my leg, preparing to kick the dog when it gets too close. As the dog prepares to leap a small figure jumps at it. A snow faerie is tackling the dog!

The dog falls to its side and I hear a loud yell.

“How dare you!”

A short man was running out of the nearest house in a bathrobe, his wife standing in the doorway. He stooped down to the dog and helped it back to its feet. The man shouts back to his wife.

“It’s like I’m always telling you Marie. This is why you need to put a wall up on the border. Keep out these violent Mexican youths.”

I don’t know what I find more upsetting right now: this man’s complete misunderstanding of what just happened, his racism or being mistaken for Mexican again.

“Hey man can you just keep your loving dog under control.”

Carlos didn’t yell at the man, but he was direct. All the guys are here now, backing me up. The man scowled and led the dog back into his house.

“You’re lucky Princess isn’t injured or I’d be calling the cops.” He yelled, slamming the door.

I let out a long sigh.

“How about we go back inside? It’s loving cold out here.”

The rest of the night passed uneventfully. This wasn’t the first time some idiot lost track of their aggressive dog and I had a feeling it wouldn’t be the last.

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011
I'm In on the LEGO Prompt.

Loser Brawl: Crab Destroyer vs Mister Morn

Temujin's Mercy - 265 Words

My brother told me the massacre of the Mongol caravan was a mistake. He said Otrar was doomed and suggested that we flee west. I couldn’t follow him. My duty to Allah, peace be upon him, and the Khwarazmian dynasty was too important. Khoresmshakh Mohammad II knew the Mongols were preparing for an invasion with their caravan of spies and was acting accordingly. Mohammad proved his military acumen with his expansion of the empire, and had the wisdom to be wary of the Mongols. Otrar is where the Khan’s merchant caravan was intercepted, and it was here that his diplomatic envoy was executed by the governor. The Khoresmshakh must have known that if the Mongols would strike it would be here. Yet we were not ready for their invasion.

Otrar now lies in ruins. Mongol soldiers have massacred most of the townspeople and are now corralling the survivors to be used as slaves. All the Khwarazmian soldiers who remain are surrendering. The Mongols are watching us intently; once the Khan decides what to do with us the looting can begin proper. I am surprised to see Genghis Khan in the flesh instead of one of his generals. He addresses us through an interpreter that speaks Turkish.

“It is wise of you to surrender. The Khoresmshakh will regret his rejection of my trade offer, but you do not have to die for his mistake. You have proven yourselves worthy of a place in my armies. Will you join me? Or will you die?”

The answer is obvious. Allahu Akbar and praise be unto the Mongolian Empire.

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011
LEGO Set: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8188_Fire_Blaster
Flash Rule: Redemption of a debt. No money involved.

Exploring the Volcanic Caves - 748 words

Rex Deadman was staring at the strangest truck he had ever seen. The cabin was missing its ceiling and doors, but had a frame where they should have been. On the truck bed there was a translucent tank, built out of Digg Corporation Fibroglass - a material extremely resistant to hot and cold temperatures, filled with dark blue liquid. A hose snaked from the bottom of the tank to a position adjacent to the headlights. Two Digg Corp scientists stood next to it, prepared to answer Rex’s questions about the machine.

“So what is this thing exactly?”

Nelson Branowitz let out an exasperated sigh. “Isn’t it obvious? This is the answer to all your problems! The Fire Blaster…”

“Fire Blaster?”

The other scientist, Ethan Folz, explained, “We’ve never let Nelson name any of our projects before. He helped fix a problem we were having with the hose, so we let him have this one.” He saw Rex’s frown and continued, “That was probably a mistake.”

Nelson furrowed his brow, “You guys owed me a favor and it’s not my fault that this is how you chose to repay me. Besides, it’s a great name. It blasts fire with a compound made to extinguish it. It’s a fire blaster.”

Rex didn’t have time for this nonsense. He wasn’t looking for a fire extinguisher, he told the scientists to give him a way to explore the volcanic caves the underground facility was connected to. Ethan could see the disappointment on his face and tried to keep Rex from abandoning the project.

“Mr. Deadman, before you go give it a test drive. I’ll guide you through the tunnels and you can be the first person to explore the volcanic caves we haven’t been able to access.”

Rex’s eyes lit up. “If this thing can navigate the volcanic caves Digg Corp can finally justify the existence of this facility.”

Ethan nodded, handing him a protective heat-resistant suit.

When Rex graduated high school he spent a couple of years as a commercial truck driver, compared to that driving the Fire Blaster was easy. Ethan was in the passenger seat, a second person was needed to manipulate the hose and keep in contact with the Digg Corporation Underground Exploration Facility. The volcanic caves were already mapped out, to a certain extent. There were sections of the caves that were unexplored due to lava flows the scientists promised the Fire Blaster could bypass.

Rex drove to the closest lava flow and Ethan prepared the hose, which could be positioned anywhere on the cabin’s frame. The hose pumped out a super-chilled liquid, and right as it hit the magma a creature jumped out. It looked like a giant salamander and swiftly crawled past the Fire Blaster toward the direction the pair came from, still dripping with magma.

“This is the Fire Blaster. We have found a strange new creature that we are corralling back into the lab. Prepare a Fibroglass holding cell suitable for a salamander approximately four feet long. Keep a careful eye on our position, we’ll try to stay within ten to fifteen meters of it.” Rex took this as a sign to turn around and follow the creature. Ethan continued, “Be sure everybody involved in the capture effort is wearing heat armor. We’re on our way.”

They led the creature back into the garage where a team of Digg Corp personnel was waiting to capture it. Once the creature was captured it was carried into the research laboratory. Rex climbed out of the Fire Blaster and called Ethan into his office.

“I’m impressed with your work Dr. Folz. I looked at the files and it appears you were the lead researcher on this project?”

“Yes, sir”

“It appears you have a knack for taking my instructions and then exceeding my expectations. How would you like to be the Head Scientist of Digg Corporation’s Underground Exploration Facility? It comes with a pay raise and allows you to be a part of all future endeavors by the research teams.”

“I would be honored, sir”

“I think you know I almost scrapped this project, but your quick thinking led to a great discovery. I’m going to be less involved in the affairs of the scientists, that’s your job now.”

“Thank you, sir”

“Start with this creature. I want you to find out whatever you can and report to me. I’ll process the paperwork for your promotion.”

“I’ll have a report on your desk by Friday.”

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011
In.

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011
In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011
In.