Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Was that Latuff cartoon where Al-Qaeda, ISIS, and some third group I can't presently recall turned around to reveal stars-and-stripes-painted windup keys on their backs just straightup :tinfoil: about America setting up those groups so it'd have an excuse to execute its Master Plan, then?

e:
It was this one.

And the third group was the Taliban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TheDarkFlame posted:

For future reference, R. Mute, any opinions that consist of anything more substantial than "gently caress you" must be submitted as an edited cartoon, an artist-themed fanfiction, or a set of lyrics to fit a piece of pop-culture music.
I'm pretty sure a single emote followed by a single short sentence directed towards the creator of the comic in question, as if they are reading the thread, is allowed as well.

HootTheOwl posted:

:allears: Oh Latuff, the US isn't warmongering enough for you?
Like so.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

(Yes "Whip out his Cf-18s" is an actual quote)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

loquacius posted:

Was that Latuff cartoon where Al-Qaeda, ISIS, and some third group I can't presently recall turned around to reveal stars-and-stripes-painted windup keys on their backs just straightup :tinfoil: about America setting up those groups so it'd have an excuse to execute its Master Plan, then?

e:
It was this one.

And the third group was the Taliban.
I'm thinking that's more of a 'these groups are the result of american foreign policy' type of thing.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, we kind of did fund and arm the Taliban during the Cold War era, because they were not too keen on Russia, and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thinking kicked, and nobody thought to ask "but how do they feel about us?"

We kind of get all "old lady who swallowed a fly" about this poo poo over there, which is why they do not care for us.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

Yeah, we kind of did fund and arm the Taliban during the Cold War era, because they were not too keen on Russia, and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thinking kicked, and nobody thought to ask "but how do they feel about us?"

We kind of get all "old lady who swallowed a fly" about this poo poo over there, which is why they do not care for us.

Mujahideen, not the Taliban which wasn't formed until 1994.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So all of the Dry Bones for the past week (maybe more) have been reruns - look at the copyright dates.

I don't think Kirschen is ever going to see Jonathan Pollard freed, guys. :ohdear:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

R. Mute posted:

I committed a grave sin in the eyes of my thread forefathers. I am truly ashamed.

Space Kimchi glances up briefly from posting hell

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lupin: What are you most afraid of, Neville?
Neville: Pr-professor Snape
Lupin: Okay, here's what I want you to do....

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

For future reference, R. Mute, any opinions that consist of anything more substantial than "gently caress you" must be submitted as an edited cartoon, an artist-themed fanfiction, or a set of lyrics to fit a piece of pop-culture music.
Oh no, the secret to my lovely posting has been discovered!

I'm doomed :ohdear:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

It's pretty simple. I used to post in the Dota 2 thread, made fun of a thread favourite poster, he had a dumb little meltdown over it and Zoolooman vindictively banned me and presumably gave me a red title. Now whenever I post anything that someone doesn't like I get at least one "HEH, you sure have a red title!" posts and then I tell this story and waste everyone's time. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

he did not give you that title, hopefully you can start moving on now.

I Am Not Steve
Sep 3, 2011
ppllo

I Am Not Steve
Sep 3, 2011
ignore this

I Am Not Steve fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 8, 2014

I Am Not Steve
Sep 3, 2011
and this

I Am Not Steve fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 8, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Palestinian People's Liberation League of Oregon gave him that red title, yes.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
The Politoons thread claims another poor sod's mind. RIP, Not Steve.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

R. Mute posted:

I'm thinking that's more of a 'these groups are the result of american foreign policy' type of thing.

What about the one where he did the same to that lady who was beaten by the Cuban government and said 'yea they're pretty hosed up, maybe the regime isn't a great government'?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

forbidden lesbian posted:

he did not give you that title, hopefully you can start moving on now.

I thought mods couldn't trace who bought titles for whom. :ohdear:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

R. Mute posted:

But according to your Latuff analysis, he thinks the American foreign policy was chosen deliberately in order to spawn those military groups, rather than just being the shortsighted advice of whichever lobbyist had bribed the most officials that week to make a short-term profit for his paymasters. Which is pretty :tinfoil:.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Randler posted:

Perhaps he simply asked zoolooman

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is pretty rad.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Randler posted:

The can see if a mod requested a title change though.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

quote:

Lip Service.

Hey, gently caress you again, Muir.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

loquacius posted:

But according to your Latuff analysis, he thinks the American foreign policy was chosen deliberately in order to spawn those military groups, rather than just being the shortsighted advice of whichever lobbyist had bribed the most officials that week to make a short-term profit for his paymasters. Which is pretty :tinfoil:.

Well prevailing opinion is that these groups splintered from other groups that the US did fund, so both can be true.

I guess.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Branco doesn't know how grenades work! :monocle: I mean, it's not fair to expect him to have any practical experience with them, but pulling the pin doesn't arm the grenade, it just removes the safety so you can squeeze the handle, and I'm pretty sure you can put the pin back in just fine if you haven't messed with the handle. You can hold the handle down indefinitely without blowing up, the bomb only arms when you RELEASE the handle and a spring pushes it back up, which lights the fuse, and THAT'S when you need to get it the hell away from you.

That's all setting aside that the metaphor assumes an Iraq that was manufactured with an American military presence as an integral component, which is a stunningly astute observation that Branco is too stupid to explore the ramifications of. This is the same Branco that drew an eagle literally tearing an American flag from a communazi statue, after all.

Varvel doesn't know how pressure cookers work! :monocle: That pressure cooker has a faulty seal and all the water is venting out of the chamber, so there's no danger of the thing exploding. On the other hand, anybody who gets near the thing is liable to be scalded by uncontrolled jets of steam. Eventually all the Iraq, Iran, Syria, and ISIS will boil off and the pot will melt in the heat, which isn't a big loss since it was broken in the first place.

These cartoons are way too dumb to tackle on their own terms.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

R. Mute posted:

Anyway, that was a big post on Carlos Latuff.

This was a good post, everyone please read it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

My latest day by day edit.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Abyssal Squid posted:

Branco doesn't know how grenades work! :monocle: I mean, it's not fair to expect him to have any practical experience with them, but pulling the pin doesn't arm the grenade, it just removes the safety so you can squeeze the handle, and I'm pretty sure you can put the pin back in just fine if you haven't messed with the handle. You can hold the handle down indefinitely without blowing up, the bomb only arms when you RELEASE the handle and a spring pushes it back up, which lights the fuse, and THAT'S when you need to get it the hell away from you.

Uh, grenade levers are held down by the pin, and the safety clip. So yes, if you pull the pin out without holding the handle (you have to take the clip off first), it is armed and will make a mess of you if you don't get it or yourself a few dozen feet away.

E; Okay, technically you don't HAVE to take off the clip first, but that's the process that gets hammered into grenade training.

Also, we use apple grenades now, not pineapple.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 8, 2014

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

My latest day by day edit.

I'm a fan of your work, but I think this edit is lacking in subtlety. I mean, don't you think you're being a little obvious conveying Muir's feelings of inadequacy wih this one?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sir Rolo posted:

Hey, gently caress you again, Muir.

I'd like to say this is crude and spiteful even for Muir.

I'd like to.

But now, after the latest round of truly horrible right wing comics, I can only call it lazy.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

That's a beaut

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Randler posted:

Everything's connected. Fulfill the prophecy.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Slickdrac posted:

Uh, grenade levers are held down by the pin, and the safety clip. So yes, if you pull the pin out without holding the handle (you have to take the clip off first), it is armed and will make a mess of you if you don't get it or yourself a few dozen feet away.

E; Okay, technically you don't HAVE to take off the clip first, but that's the process that gets hammered into grenade training.

Also, we don't use apple grenades now, not pineapple.

Welp that's what I get for going on about stuff based on memory without bothering to look to see if I actually remember it right. I'm as bad as Joe Liccar! :cry:

My point about Iraq being built with load-bearing American troops still stands though.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is the best cartoon.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Rorus, maybe you should take a break from the thr-

Wait a minute...

Oh my god this was fantastic.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What about the one where he did the same to that lady who was beaten by the Cuban government and said 'yea they're pretty hosed up, maybe the regime isn't a great government'?
I'm sorry, which one is that? Despite my Phd in Latuff Studies, I haven't actually read all of them. I guess that wouldn't really make sense, since I was talking about the Middle East and not Cuba? Am I going to have to analyse all of his cartoons before you guys believe me? Because I probably can, but it might take too long.

loquacius posted:

I think you misunderstood - Latuff is capable of understanding the concept of unintended consequences. What I was trying to say about America's foreign policy being deliberately chosen mainly focussed on direct American intervention (militarily or diplomatically or whatever), not that everything that ever happened was directly intended to happen by America. So basically, my "analysis" - if we can call it that - doesn't really apply to that cartoon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

e: oh, holy gently caress, this is what I get for opening all my unread threads in tabs and going through them without F5ing. Nothing to see here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't wait for the insightful cartoons from right wing artists siding with an Indiana family's right to drive without being tazered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

• Locked thread